Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates
Netflix Gets Funny with Pranks with Stranger Things Star; Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba Series Gets 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 17, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #16
Awsi Dooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordwainer1453
I don't pretend to know who committed the murder, but most of the "evidence" against the Ramseys consists of "Patsy smirked during that interview: GUILTY!" or "There was a book on skinning cats in the Ramsey house and a cat was skinned in the neighborhood the year before the murder: GUILTY!" type of garbage that people appear to just make up. If the family did it, they covered it up pretty well in a short period of time and stuck to their story all these years, including a 9 year old child. That is pretty impressive.
I agree with your summary. And I'm glad Burke is suing. Certainly justified.

After watching all of those programs a few months ago it was nothing more than using the pineapple tidbit to isolate Burke, and then weaving a tale to assert his guilt. Hey, everybody thinks it's the parents but we'll switch to the one remaining person in the family. Aren't we clever?

Unfortunately it too often passes for clever, instead of an absolute reach.

Then they provide the mandatory crime scene reconstruction garbage, and somehow assert their version as likely, or as proof, instead of merely plausible. That's all it is, of course. Plausible. And the plausible might not even register 2% on the actual probability monitor. Unfortunately most people aren't well schooled or instinctive on that. If it sounds logical they gobble it up. Delicious.

Burke reminds me of Nate Silver. The picture posted in this thread looks a lot like a young Nate Silver. He may be a math whiz but he is socially awkward and his occasional TV appearances contain strange moments. Like giggles at the inappropriate time.

I wouldn't put too much stock in how Burke comes across in those things. As I mentioned in another thread, the fact that his parents allowed a videotaped session with Burke not long after the murder, and when they themselves were being cautious with law enforcement, led me to believe they were not concerned with Burke's answers. He didn't appear to be coached.

Likewise I thought Patsy Ramsey was incredibly genuine in her videotaped session with authorities, and specifically when she exclaimed, "I don't give a flip..." when she was confronted with supposed physical evidence linking the family. One program used a so-called body language expert to condemn Patsy's behavior as damning and over the top. I'm convinced they see whatever they want. If that outburst didn't look real and emotional I don't know what would.

* However, I'm not asserting the Ramsey's are innocent. Difficult case, largely due to that bizarre ransom note. I have no idea how it can't be positively linked to Patsy, if she did write it. Syntax should be glaring along with handwriting analysis.

I'm not a huge believer in handwriting analysis although it certainly is light years more legit than crime scene reconstruction, the ultimate insult.

* From third grade forth I won countless writing contests in school. The teachers frequently asked me to help other students with their papers, the major writing assignments. Often it was after the fact, to sit down and go over the papers with them if they had received a poor grade. The teachers thought it was more beneficial if a student passed along advice, rather than merely a big fat failing grade atop the page.

One aspect stood out above anything else. Decades later I'm still struck by it. The girls abused exclamation points. I remember staring in disbelief, the first time the teacher handed me the stack of papers and asked me to review them before helping my fellow students. Some of the girls would use exclamation points on at least 80% of their sentences. There could be 5 or 6 exclamation points strung together after a single sentence. The opening sentence was most prone to that.

This was elementary school and early junior high. In later years the exclamation point overload from girls was still there, but not as ridiculous. Guys, in contrast, had very few exclamation points, even in elementary school. I would always try to point out that the words should speak for themselves, that an exclamation point was rarely necessary.

The trend holds up on the internet. Women use more smilies, at least on the sites I frequent. Maybe it's like makeup. Or a friendly wave. Something to attract attention.

This is what I'm getting at, in relation to this case. The first time I saw that JonBenet Ramsey ransom note one thing immediately leaped off the page, the opening sentence:

"Listen carefully!"

A woman wrote that. I stopped a long time before proceeding to the subsequent words. That's either a female author, or someone pretending to be a female. Since the later is such low percentage, I'll default to the first conclusion.

And I'll take my handicapping instinct above all the trained experts with the fancy titles.
Awsi Dooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #17
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger
One aspect stood out above anything else. Decades later I'm still struck by it. The girls abused exclamation points.
This is an interesting anecdote, because the authorities have always suspected that the letter writer was female, and I've always wondered what led to that conclusion.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:10 AM   #18
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger
One aspect stood out above anything else. Decades later I'm still struck by it. The girls abused exclamation points. I remember staring in disbelief, the first time the teacher handed me the stack of papers and asked me to review them before helping my fellow students. Some of the girls would use exclamation points on at least 80% of their sentences. There could be 5 or 6 exclamation points strung together after a single sentence. The opening sentence was most prone to that.
Girl-edited: One aspect stood out above anything else!!!!! Decades later I'm still struck by it!!! The girls abused exclamation points!! I remember staring!--in disbelief!--the first time the teacher handed me the stack of papers and asked me to review them before helping my fellow students!!! Some of the girls would use exclamation points on at least 80% of their sentences!!!! There could be 5 or 6 exclamation points strung together after a single sentence!!!!! The opening sentence was most prone to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:13 AM   #19
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
This is an interesting anecdote, because the authorities have always suspected that the letter writer was female, and I've always wondered what led to that conclusion.
Females also sometimes tend to ramble and not be brief and straight to the point. Also there were strange aspects such as advice to be well-rested, which no male kidnapper would write. No one steals your kid and then cares about how well-rested you are.
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #20
MegtheEgg86

Lol, old crotchety men giving restaurant reviews on the internet abuse exclamation points too.

There's no scientific evidence supporting the reliability and veracity of graphology.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #21
boco357
Not Muhammad Ali
Frequent Poster

I wonder if they can subpoena him because he suing. In the West Memphis Three Case, Hobbs sued the Dixie Chicks cause they accused him of doing it and was subpoenaed.

www.fatty357.com
boco357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:08 PM   #22
SPD Yellow
Forum Regular

I know people will castigate me for being insensitive, but honestly the Jon-Benet Ramsey case has been discussed and rediscussed so many times that the case kind of bores me a little. Every possible aspect has been debated over and over. I won't say the case will never be solved, but given how badly the police botched things, it seems unlikely. Plus, I find myself wondering if Jon-Benet wasn't such a beautiful, blonde child if the case would the case have attracted the hysteria it has.
SPD Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:14 AM   #23
Babalu

If youíve followed the case, and I have, thereís only one conclusion that you can reach, even if itís not proven beyond any doubt.

Letís review some facts. The ransom note was supposedly found on a back stairway that only the family knew they used. This is a very illogical place to leave a ransom note. If you kidnap someone, you want the ransom note to be found as soon as possible. Next, the ransom note was written on Patsy Ramseyís legal pad, meaning the note was written in the house. The ransom note was three pages long. Ransom notes are never three pages long. Three lines long, maybe. But never three pages. If you are a kidnapper holding a struggling girl hostage, you donít take 20 minutes out to write a ransom note. You get out of the house as soon as possible. The ransom note asked for $118,000, an incredibly odd number. John Ramseyís Christmas bonus received a few days before was $118,000. Thatís not a coincidence and no one outside the family or his company would know that. The content of the letter is also extremely convoluted as if the writer were trying to build up the kidnapper as some sort of international terrorist. Patsy Ramseyís handwriting was found to be similar to the ransom note.

Next, why write and leave a ransom note if youíve already killed your victim and left her in the house? What sense does that make? If you killed her accidentally you take her body with you. No oneís going to pay a ransom for a body you leave in the house. And if youíre a kidnapper, the ransom is what youíre after. Anyone willing to kidnap a six year-old for ransom is willing to kill her.

Jonbenet had a severe skull fracture from a blow to the head but she was also strangled. Why would you do both? If you hit her in the head to kill her, hit her again. Donít take the time to make a garrote, especially with Patsy Ramseyís paintbrush, another ridiculous coincidence.

In addition, undigested pineapple is found in Jonbenet's stomach. Her parents claim that she was never fed pineapple, yet Burkeís fingerprints are on the pineapple bowl. Burke Ramsey also had a history of violence towards Jonbenet, including bashing her in the head with a golf club. He also regularly left his feces in her bed, the sign of a deeply disturbed child.

The ransom note was an obvious fake, the kidnapping obviously fake and staged. People have speculated that either John or Patsy murdered Jonbenet. But if either did it, the other would never cover for them. Thereís only one logical conclusion for both parents to cover up the murder: Burke did it. He didnít do it on purpose but he hit her in the head hard enough while in one of his tantrums for his parents to think she was dead. But she wasnít. The strangulation finished her off; although Iím sure her parents thought she was dead from the blow to the head.

In a taped interview conducted shortly after the murder that was shown on TV recently, a psychiatrist asked Burke if he was told what happened to her and he blurted out that he knew what happened to her. He knew what happened because he did it. Itís the only possibility that makes all the other known facts fit.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #24
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalu
If youíve followed the case, and I have, thereís only one conclusion that you can reach, even if itís not proven beyond any doubt.

Letís review some facts. The ransom note was supposedly found on a back stairway that only the family knew they used. This is a very illogical place to leave a ransom note. If you kidnap someone, you want the ransom note to be found as soon as possible. Next, the ransom note was written on Patsy Ramseyís legal pad, meaning the note was written in the house. The ransom note was three pages long. Ransom notes are never three pages long. Three lines long, maybe. But never three pages. If you are a kidnapper holding a struggling girl hostage, you donít take 20 minutes out to write a ransom note. You get out of the house as soon as possible. The ransom note asked for $118,000, an incredibly odd number. John Ramseyís Christmas bonus received a few days before was $118,000. Thatís not a coincidence and no one outside the family or his company would know that. The content of the letter is also extremely convoluted as if the writer were trying to build up the kidnapper as some sort of international terrorist. Patsy Ramseyís handwriting was found to be similar to the ransom note.

Next, why write and leave a ransom note if youíve already killed your victim and left her in the house? What sense does that make? If you killed her accidentally you take her body with you. No oneís going to pay a ransom for a body you leave in the house. And if youíre a kidnapper, the ransom is what youíre after. Anyone willing to kidnap a six year-old for ransom is willing to kill her.

Jonbenet had a severe skull fracture from a blow to the head but she was also strangled. Why would you do both? If you hit her in the head to kill her, hit her again. Donít take the time to make a garrote, especially with Patsy Ramseyís paintbrush, another ridiculous coincidence.

In addition, undigested pineapple is found in Jonbenet's stomach. Her parents claim that she was never fed pineapple, yet Burkeís fingerprints are on the pineapple bowl. Burke Ramsey also had a history of violence towards Jonbenet, including bashing her in the head with a golf club. He also regularly left his feces in her bed, the sign of a deeply disturbed child.

The ransom note was an obvious fake, the kidnapping obviously fake and staged. People have speculated that either John or Patsy murdered Jonbenet. But if either did it, the other would never cover for them. Thereís only one logical conclusion for both parents to cover up the murder: Burke did it. He didnít do it on purpose but he hit her in the head hard enough while in one of his tantrums for his parents to think she was dead. But she wasnít. The strangulation finished her off; although Iím sure her parents thought she was dead from the blow to the head.

In a taped interview conducted shortly after the murder that was shown on TV recently, a psychiatrist asked Burke if he was told what happened to her and he blurted out that he knew what happened to her. He knew what happened because he did it. Itís the only possibility that makes all the other known facts fit.
^^^This. I completely agree with everything you mentioned. As long as the Ramseys are alive, or the officials in the Boulder police department that were there back then are still in the force, there'll never be justice for JonBenet.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #25
James T

Note for anybody else in the UK-tonight YourTV are showing a 2 hour documentary called Overkill: The Murder of JonBenet from 9-11 pm.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:51 AM   #26
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalu

I couldn't agree more.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #27
SPD Yellow
Forum Regular

Babalu, while I admit you've constructed a good argument, I have a few quibbles. Like I've said before, one of the biggest things that keeps me from joining Team Burke Did It, is that if he was really as disturbed and screwed up as everyone paints him as, it seems unlikely that he would manage to stay completely out of trouble for twenty years, with nary a parking ticket or any kind of offense to his name. Kids with impulse control bad enough to accidentally murder his six-year-old sister in a fit of rage, tend to become worse as they get older not better, unless they are put into some seriously intensive therapy to address their issues.

And I don't find the fingerprint on the bowl evidence to be that compelling. It was a bowl from his house and fingerprints can last for a long time. It's not too far-fetched to believe that Burke might have eaten from that bowl at some point and left his fingerprint there in the process.

Though this Cracked article really illustrates my views of the case: http://www.cracked.com/blog/why-were...documentaries/

Because even after twenty years, everyone remains that disturbingly obsessed with the case to the point where the fact that a little girl, someone who had a life outside all those pageant pictures everyone is obsessed with, was brutally murdered. Again, I do wonder if the victim at the center of all this, if it weren't for the pageant pictures and her being such an attractive white child, if the case would have attracted the hysteria it has.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #28
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPD Yellow
Like I've said before, one of the biggest things that keeps me from joining Team Burke Did It, is that if he was really as disturbed and screwed up as everyone paints him as, it seems unlikely that he would manage to stay completely out of trouble for twenty years, with nary a parking ticket or any kind of offense to his name. Kids with impulse control bad enough to accidentally murder his six-year-old sister in a fit of rage, tend to become worse as they get older not better, unless they are put into some seriously intensive therapy to address their issues.
His family was insanely rich. They could've easily given him intense therapy, and medication after her death to keep him sedated. They knew Burke was a suspect with behavioral problems, wouldn't the logical thing to do, would be to keep him drugged, isolated, and in therapy to keep him in line, so he wouldn't get prosecuted? Look at his face in the new documentary, he's smiling at totally inappropriate times, something's wrong.

I totally think he did it.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #29
SPD Yellow
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook
His family was insanely rich. They could've easily given him intense therapy, and medication after her death to keep him sedated. They knew Burke was a suspect with behavioral problems, wouldn't the logical thing to do, would be to keep him drugged, isolated, and in therapy to keep him in line, so he wouldn't get prosecuted? Look at his face in the new documentary, he's smiling at totally inappropriate times, something's wrong.

I totally think he did it.
As someone who takes drugs to manage a mental illness, I have to respectfully disagree. While the pills I take do go a long way in managing my symptoms, they aren't, freaking magic. They do not transform me into a completely different person; they just manage my symptoms and make it easier for me to start putting my life back together. Short of major opiods, there isn't anything out there that would completely keep someone calm and sedated and I'm fairly certain someone would notice if the Ramseys were doping their kid and ask some questions. They can isolate Burke to some extent, but short of locking him in a cellar or an attic, they can't isolate him completely. Plus, since he is a legal adult, they don't have the power over him that they used to. Legally they can't make him take whatever magic drugs they were giving him or attend therapy and unless they have some seriously strong evidence that he's a danger to himself and others, trying to commit him would only lead to Burke being in a damn good position to sue whoever he can.

As for the smiling, like I keep saying, you have to give me something more solid than "He has bad social skills."
Old 01-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #30
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPD Yellow
As someone who takes drugs to manage a mental illness, I have to respectfully disagree. While the pills I take do go a long way in managing my symptoms, they aren't, freaking magic. They do not transform me into a completely different person; they just manage my symptoms and make it easier for me to start putting my life back together. Short of major opiods, there isn't anything out there that would completely keep someone calm and sedated and I'm fairly certain someone would notice if the Ramseys were doping their kid and ask some questions. They can isolate Burke to some extent, but short of locking him in a cellar or an attic, they can't isolate him completely. Plus, since he is a legal adult, they don't have the power over him that they used to. Legally they can't make him take whatever magic drugs they were giving him or attend therapy and unless they have some seriously strong evidence that he's a danger to himself and others, trying to commit him would only lead to Burke being in a damn good position to sue whoever he can.

As for the smiling, like I keep saying, you have to give me something more solid than "He has bad social skills."
Sorry to hear about your mental illness, but your experiences don't speak for Burke. I've known two people who suffered from ADHD, or some other attention deficit problem, and the medication pretty much made them into zombies.

Speaking on him being a legal adult, we don't know what goes on in their house. Burke could be deemed mentally unfit to live alone, he could have orders that make him remain under supervision, we don't know that. If Burke was showing signs of violence when he was younger, I'm sure something's wrong with him now.

And who would be asking questions if Burke was doped up? The people surrounding the family could easily know Burke has mental issues, and takes medication, which would lead to him being isolated. Burke's behavioral patterns shouldn't be ignored, they obviously show something is wrong.

Fact is, a lot could be going internally with the family, and Burke that we just don't know about. Just because his issues aren't on the front page doesn't mean that they don't exist.

"His bad social skills" at his age are a huge red flag, that's why people keep bringing it up. I understand not everyone who shows quirks are murderers, but given his violent history as a child, the fact he's a suspect in his sister's death, and still show signs of a mental problem are huge red flags.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote