Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube


Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 17, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show
TBS Celebrates Seinfeld's 30th Anniversary; Netflix Renews Russian Doll for Season 2
Netflix Series Adds Rising Star to New Series; Corporate Gets 3rd and Final Season
Comedy Central Schedules Lights Out with David Spade; NBC's The Good Place to End After Season 4


New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
amandab1234
Member
Forum Regular
 
amandab1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 17, 2011
Posts: 564
Default Bill and Cynthia Zelinski

I was thinking of this case (Sharon Stevens) she was adopted by Bill and Cynthia Zelinski.. I decided to do a google search on them and came across this blog. Sharon Stevens spoke very highly of them, but this blog seems to make them out to be very abusive.. Who knows if it's true.. but I'm pretty sure it is the same Bill and Cynthia Zelinski since UM mentioned they would take in foster children regularly.The link is below...

http://homelessnessinbaltimore.com/2...mark-schumann/
amandab1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
DarkDante
Member
Senior Member
 
DarkDante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2002
Posts: 1,548
Default

Wow very interesting to say the least. With a slight nod to the fact that anyone can make anything up on the internet, I have no reason to doubt this individual. I would just find it very bizarre for someone to make up such a story including attaching names to it.

I understand it's possible for two different people to have two very different reactions to the same person or persons but this seems like a bit of a stretch. Those are some pretty heavy allegations to say the least.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Steve_uk
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 3,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDante
Wow very interesting to say the least. With a slight nod to the fact that anyone can make anything up on the internet, I have no reason to doubt this individual. I would just find it very bizarre for someone to make up such a story including attaching names to it.

I understand it's possible for two different people to have two very different reactions to the same person or persons but this seems like a bit of a stretch. Those are some pretty heavy allegations to say the least.
Yes,but a person alleging abuse should always be believed,and it would explain why the Zelynskis were reluctant to come forward initially in the Sharon Stone case,though I was unable to watch the Unsolved Mysteries segment.
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
amandab1234
Member
Forum Regular
 
amandab1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 17, 2011
Posts: 564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDante
Wow very interesting to say the least. With a slight nod to the fact that anyone can make anything up on the internet, I have no reason to doubt this individual. I would just find it very bizarre for someone to make up such a story including attaching names to it.

I understand it's possible for two different people to have two very different reactions to the same person or persons but this seems like a bit of a stretch. Those are some pretty heavy allegations to say the least.
I agree. ... they seemed like such loving and caring ppl... I dont believe his story... in my opinion he might not be mentally stable..of course, I could be wrong and im not here to judge the man.... just wanted to share this lil tidbit
amandab1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
wiseguy182
Member
Senior Member
 
wiseguy182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 11, 2006
Location: Wendy's salad bar
Posts: 6,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk
Yes,but a person alleging abuse should always be believed,and it would explain why the Zelynskis were reluctant to come forward initially in the Sharon Stone case,though I was unable to watch the Unsolved Mysteries segment.
Well, a person alleging abuse should always have their claims investigated, but I don't agree with you that they should always be believed. I also don't know what you mean by the Zielinskis being initially reluctant to come forward.

As far as the article goes, what a steaming pile of crap that was. I highly doubt Sharon Stevens, who definitely was abused by her real father, and was bounced around from foster homes she didn't like, would speak so highly of the Zielinskis, going so far as to praise them on national television, if they were the monsters that this homeless bum and alcoholic makes them out to be. The guy clearly has mental issues stemming from his various risk-taking excursions.

How does a homeless guy have internet access anyways? And I thought the Zielinskis were a foster home, I never knew them to actually adopt children.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
WishfulDreamer
Member
Senior Member
 
WishfulDreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 01, 2009
Location: L.A.
Posts: 3,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
Well, a person alleging abuse should always have their claims investigated, but I don't agree with you that they should always be believed. I also don't know what you mean by the Zielinskis being initially reluctant to come forward.

As far as the article goes, what a steaming pile of crap that was. I highly doubt Sharon Stevens, who definitely was abused by her real father, and was bounced around from foster homes she didn't like, would speak so highly of the Zielinskis, going so far as to praise them on national television, if they were the monsters that this homeless bum and alcoholic makes them out to be. The guy clearly has mental issues stemming from his various risk-taking excursions.

How does a homeless guy have internet access anyways? And I thought the Zielinskis were a foster home, I never knew them to actually adopt children.
It's entirely possible that he is using a library computer or community center.

I think Sharon is telling the truth. Not only did she go through abuse under her father, but a family member actually killed her second child (that part of the segment still horrifies me and is never explained. Hopefully that family member was put in jail). I think Bill and Cynthia must have been incredibly good to her to have left such an impression upon her. This man makes the Zelinski's out to be monsters, but it seems hard to believe that they would be a complete 180 from how she described them. I don't want to say he's a liar, but I am really skeptical.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
WishfulDreamer
Member
Senior Member
 
WishfulDreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 01, 2009
Location: L.A.
Posts: 3,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk
Yes,but a person alleging abuse should always be believed,and it would explain why the Zelynskis were reluctant to come forward initially in the Sharon Stone case,though I was unable to watch the Unsolved Mysteries segment.

The Zelinskis actually watched the broadcast and called the same night, leading to a reunion rather quickly. Could you be thinking of another case?
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Necco
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2006
Posts: 1,101
Default

Respectfully snipped:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
How does a homeless guy have internet access anyways? And I thought the Zielinskis were a foster home, I never knew them to actually adopt children.
There is a large continuum of what qualifies as homeless. He mentions living in a really nice shelter, so that could be where he gets internet access. I know people who were considered homeless who couch surfed at friends' places or headquartered out of their car. Also, it seems like every homeless kid in Portland, OR has a cellphone and a dog.

Last edited by Necco; 05-02-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Steve_uk
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 3,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
The Zelinskis actually watched the broadcast and called the same night, leading to a reunion rather quickly. Could you be thinking of another case?
You're right;I misread the article. But Mark Schumann should be believed;he has no motive for making up his story.
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Necco
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2006
Posts: 1,101
Default

It is entirely possible that some children were treated well while others were abused.

If Mr. Schumann lived with the couple during a different time period, there could have been stressors in their lives that made them more prone to abuse during his tenure with them. (financial trouble, marital troubles, substance abuse)

Also, to state the obvious, Ms. Stevens was a girl and Mr. Schumann was a boy. Perhaps they only abused one gender children.

The difference in parental status may also contribute to a difference in treatment. Foster kids are more closely monitored and I believe the parents get more money. Don't want to bite the hand that feeds you, as it were.

In addition to all of that, there is also the difference in personal perspective. Perhaps they were both treated the same way, but Ms. Stevens was so used to much worse abuse that it seemed like a reasonable level of discipline to her.
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
McBevis
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: May 09, 2010
Location: Barrington, New Jersey
Posts: 406
Default

This was always one of my favorite lost-loves segments. I've watched it many times and I have much difficulty believing that what this guy is saying is true. I really don't want to believe that it's true, and if it is, than my apologies go out to the guy, but after seeing this segment so many times, I just can't bring myself to believe it.

One thing I also wonder about: Even if there is any truth to what this guy is saying, it would be interesting to know what his behavior as a kid was like. Now, I'm not in any way saying that he deserves to be abused, but even people that are generally considered nice can be pushed over the edge if the kid was a terror who was constantly making their lives miserable.
McBevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Steve_uk
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 3,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBevis
This was always one of my favorite lost-loves segments. I've watched it many times and I have much difficulty believing that what this guy is saying is true. I really don't want to believe that it's true, and if it is, than my apologies go out to the guy, but after seeing this segment so many times, I just can't bring myself to believe it.

One thing I also wonder about: Even if there is any truth to what this guy is saying, it would be interesting to know what his behavior as a kid was like. Now, I'm not in any way saying that he deserves to be abused, but even people that are generally considered nice can be pushed over the edge if the kid was a terror who was constantly making their lives miserable.
It seems his brother and sister suffered similarly so it shouldn't be hard to corroborate his story,and by this account his cousin also realized what the Zelinskis were doing.http://homelessnessinbaltimore.com/2...mark-schumann/
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
dynoguy88
Member
Senior Member
 
dynoguy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 01, 2000
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBevis
This was always one of my favorite lost-loves segments. I've watched it many times and I have much difficulty believing that what this guy is saying is true. I really don't want to believe that it's true, and if it is, than my apologies go out to the guy, but after seeing this segment so many times, I just can't bring myself to believe it.
Indeed. It's very hard to comprehend. Especially when you take into account that Sharon Stevens admitted when she first went to live with the Zelinskis, she was a bitter and angry girl who had just been shuffled around to several previous foster homes, and she wasn't exactly good company right off the bat.

The Zelinski's that this guy is describing wouldn't have put up with that attitude. But Sharon said they were calm, loving and actually wanted to know what her previous foster homes were like so they could build a better life for her and truly understand where she was coming from.

The two sides just don't match up at all. I know it's stretching it but could it be possible this is a different Bill and Cynthia Zelinski in California?
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
McBevis
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: May 09, 2010
Location: Barrington, New Jersey
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
Indeed. It's very hard to comprehend. Especially when you take into account that Sharon Stevens admitted when she first went to live with the Zelinskis, she was a bitter and angry girl who had just been shuffled around to several previous foster homes, and she wasn't exactly good company right off the bat.

The Zelinski's that this guy is describing wouldn't have put up with that attitude. But Sharon said they were calm, loving and actually wanted to know what her previous foster homes were like so they could build a better life for her and truly understand where she was coming from.

The two sides just don't match up at all. I know it's stretching it but could it be possible this is a different Bill and Cynthia Zelinski in California?
I wouldn't suppose that it's absolutely impossible, but it would come as a pretty big surprise. And, even if there is another such couple, what are the chances that they would be the same kind of people (in that they take in foster children)? Either way, I really DON'T want to believe the guy.
McBevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
amandab1234
Member
Forum Regular
 
amandab1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 17, 2011
Posts: 564
Default

I am not judging this man. If his blog is true, it seems like he has had a rough life. But I donít believe him. The fact that he seems to have had some mental issues as well as the alcoholic issues kinda makes his story less creditable to me. Plus, the Zelinskiís were anxious to see Sharon again and had no problems reuniting with her on national tv. On camera, they seem like genuinely nice people.
amandab1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 AM.


Frequently Asked Questions

1) How do I contact Unsolved Mysteries with information on segments?

If you any information on cases, you can contact them via:

Website: www.unsolved.com

Contact form on official Unsolved Mysteries site

Please note that their old mailing address and 1-800 phone number no longer work.


2) Where can I watch Unsolved Mysteries?

Lifetime

Lifetime Schedule / Lifetime Site

Escape Schedule / Escape Site


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.