Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; FX Sets Dates for Fall 2019 Schedule
Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #16
Gelatinous Goo
Frequent Poster

I haven't seen that one in nearly 20 years! Is it available online? What should I search under? "Althea Smith" brought nothing.
Gelatinous Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #17
Gelatinous Goo
Frequent Poster

It was really a treat to watch this one. Did someone mention that they filmed an update to the case?
Gelatinous Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #18
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelatinous Goo
It was really a treat to watch this one. Did someone mention that they filmed an update to the case?
The update was just the picture of the kids with Robert Stack mentioning that it had been solved. It was no more than 15 seconds. I accidently taped over it several years ago so I uploaded the original broadcast of the segment.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:33 AM   #19
wiseguy182

getting back to the subject at hand...

Scott Hill ~ My sympathy for Scott Hill was nil. I mean, the guy blows through a ton of money, acts like a simple leg injury is a life-threatening illness, lets his business fail and his employees suffer and abandons his family without a word. His family still cared for him after that, but I don't think he deserved it. I think this has some similarities to Alex Cooper, and that the reunion must have felt awkward for everyone. I think the final insult was when Hill, instead of going back to Mass, made everyone trek all the way out to the Idaho/Montana area, where he was staying. What a turd.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
DarkDante

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
getting back to the subject at hand...

Scott Hill ~ My sympathy for Scott Hill was nil. I mean, the guy blows through a ton of money, acts like a simple leg injury is a life-threatening illness, lets his business fail and his employees suffer and abandons his family without a word. His family still cared for him after that, but I don't think he deserved it. I think this has some similarities to Alex Cooper, and that the reunion must have felt awkward for everyone. I think the final insult was when Hill, instead of going back to Mass, made everyone trek all the way out to the Idaho/Montana area, where he was staying. What a turd.
I'm honestly surprised UM even took the case. It's really an oddity in their canon. I mean at least with Alex Cooper there seemed to be the mystery of finding out exactly what he did to cause him to bolt in the first place. With Hill, we knew what he did from the very start so yeah no sympathy for Hill indeed.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
Sean Conner
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
The one where the amnesia victim didn't recognize his mom when they were reunited was awkward to say the least. He was also wanted for a crime I believe? The same can be said about another amnesia victim who was found dazed at the side of a highway and he was later identified and came home to face embezzlement charges. I forget both of their assumed/real names.
Yeah. I remember that one. It was Pat Brown (Carl Broadnik) and it was his wife he didn't remember. You could tell when they met. It was weird. That must be very difficult, you know, loving someone so much, missing them, spending countless days and nights wondering where they are and then they come back and don't even remember you and can't remember you. I don't think he was ever able to regain his memory, or at least on a level decent enough to have all his memories with his family & wife flood back to him.

But yes. He was charged with embezzlement. I don't know if he saw prison time, though.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=1075,8914009
Sean Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #22
idyla
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
The Mac McDonald one was so sad and tense. I'm surprised they didn't just do a text update. I was happy for him that he got to hug her and she seemed polite enough, but I felt awful for him. He made the wrong choice, but think about it- wouldn't you run if you thought you were going to jail for up to forty years? The mother had threatened to call the police AND had called the police before on him so no wonder he was scared that's why she was there that night. So while what he did was wrong, it was also not unbelievable. He should have called her up and asked if the mother was going to press charges or something to be sure before totally abandoning her, but it's punishment enough that he was miserable for forty odd years after feeling guilty. I hope that they would at least meet occasionally after that. Am I wrong in remembering that the old girlfriend herself called after watching UM? Maybe it was seeing him feel so guilty and desirous of a reunion (on top of the inheritance) that compelled her to call.
I felt bad for him, too. It was clear from the segment that her mother drove him off. Even if it was statutory rape, that doesn't mean the daughter didn't have feelings for him - she ran off to be with him at one point.

I wouldn't be surprised if the mother told her daughter something like "See? He abandoned you just like I said he would when he found out he had a child." His daughter not only grew up without her dad, but probably grew up hearing all sorts of bias about him. Of course a reunion with a parent who abandoned you is going to be awkward and likely unrewarding for both sides.

I'm surprised that more reunions weren't awkward, to be honest. You've got people who have been separated for quite awhile and the expectation that the other person/people involved must have felt the relationship was as important as it is/was to the person who is searching.
idyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #23
dks64
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by idyla
I felt bad for him, too. It was clear from the segment that her mother drove him off. Even if it was statutory rape, that doesn't mean the daughter didn't have feelings for him - she ran off to be with him at one point.

I wouldn't be surprised if the mother told her daughter something like "See? He abandoned you just like I said he would when he found out he had a child." His daughter not only grew up without her dad, but probably grew up hearing all sorts of bias about him. Of course a reunion with a parent who abandoned you is going to be awkward and likely unrewarding for both sides.
This.
dks64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #24
WishfulDreamer

I think the camera crew would also make any reunion very awkward. Can you imagine an emotional moment like meeting your father or sister for the first time? I'd be crying with emotion and then embarrassed and stilted in my comments because of the camera crew being right there and recording everything. Most people seemed to take it in very good stride. Like the woman who found her ailing, elderly mother. Even though she really didn't speak full sentences back to her, she handled it so well, smiling and just being really glad to see her. So that's really touching and I'm glad most people seemed to handle it well.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #25
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
I think the camera crew would also make any reunion very awkward. Can you imagine an emotional moment like meeting your father or sister for the first time? I'd be crying with emotion and then embarrassed and stilted in my comments because of the camera crew being right there and recording everything. Most people seemed to take it in very good stride. Like the woman who found her ailing, elderly mother. Even though she really didn't speak full sentences back to her, she handled it so well, smiling and just being really glad to see her. So that's really touching and I'm glad most people seemed to handle it well.
that may be true, but I gotta wonder if most are so caught up in the moment that they forget about the camera.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #26
unsolved88
Forum Regular

Quote:

Bear with me, I've not seen the Mac McDonald segment in years, so my recollections are a bit hazy and therefore my opinions may reflect said hazy recollections. So if I get my facts wrong, feel free to correct me where necessary.

I agree that the girlfriend's mother probably did poison her granddaughter against her father. That is unacceptable, IMO.

However, I felt that the segment went a little overboard in painting the girlfriend's mother as an unreasonable monster for not being happy that her sixteen-year-old daughter was dating a twenty-year-old young man in the first place. Although I believe she certainly should have tried to be more understanding about her daughter's feelings toward Mac instead of immediately crying statutory rape and making their lives a living hell, I don't think most parents, even today, would be totally thrilled if their sixteen-year-old starting dating a twenty-year-old. My mother certainly wouldn't. To most parents (my own included), a four-year age difference is a big deal at sixteen. So, although I totally disagree with how she handled the whole situation, I also disagree with how the segment acted as though the mother should have simply minded her own business and just been totally fine with her underage daughter dating an adult (albeit a very young adult) man when I don't think most parents of teens would have felt too much differently. At sixteen, her daughter was living under her roof and therefore was her business.

Sorry if that sounded harsh or insensitive, but I had to get that off my chest.

Quote:
I'm surprised that more reunions weren't awkward, to be honest. You've got people who have been separated for quite awhile and the expectation that the other person/people involved must have felt the relationship was as important as it is/was to the person who is searching.
I always felt this way too. It reminds me of an episode of Family Ties where Skippy, who was adopted as an infant, meets his biological mother, who ends up being less-than-friendly about him finding her. She is immediately defensive toward Skippy and keeps asking him things like "What could you possibly want from me after all these years?" She pretty much tells him that although she has nothing against him, she really has no interest in starting a relationship with him after having given him up as soon as he was born. I think the episode made a very good point about the fact that sometimes, the birth parents aren't always as eager about meeting the children they gave up for adoption as their children are to meet them.

I think it's amazing that with all the lost love cases featured UM, none (to my knowledge anyway) ever really ended the way that episode of Family Ties did. Although there are many parents who give their children up for adoption under some form of duress (especially years ago when being unmarried and pregnant was considered a huge no-no), there are also those parents who had no such attachment to their baby and who may have even been willing to just give the child up period, adoption or otherwise. Sad but true.

The irony in the latter scenario would be that an adopted child who may have felt out-of-place in their adoptive family would likely have felt even more out-of-place had they been left with their biological parents who may not have really wanted them in the first place.
unsolved88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #27
DarkDante

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsolved88
Bear with me, I've not seen the Mac McDonald segment in years, so my recollections are a bit hazy and therefore my opinions may reflect said hazy recollections. So if I get my facts wrong, feel free to correct me where necessary.

I agree that the girlfriend's mother probably did poison her granddaughter against her father. That is unacceptable, IMO.

However, I felt that the segment went a little overboard in painting the girlfriend's mother as an unreasonable monster for not being happy that her sixteen-year-old daughter was dating a twenty-year-old young man in the first place. Although I believe she certainly should have tried to be more understanding about her daughter's feelings toward Mac instead of immediately crying statutory rape and making their lives a living hell, I don't think most parents, even today, would be totally thrilled if their sixteen-year-old starting dating a twenty-year-old. My mother certainly wouldn't. To most parents (my own included), a four-year age difference is a big deal at sixteen. So, although I totally disagree with how she handled the whole situation, I also disagree with how the segment acted as though the mother should have simply minded her own business and just been totally fine with her underage daughter dating an adult (albeit a very young adult) man when I don't think most parents of teens would have felt too much differently. At sixteen, her daughter was living under her roof and therefore was her business.

Sorry if that sounded harsh or insensitive, but I had to get that off my chest.
Fair points. Something you have to remember though in viewing that segment it is told from Mac McDonald's POV. The segment is going to naturally be sympathetic to his viewpoint and his plight. That being said my read of the segment is that Mac legitimately did love this girl and his intentions with her were honorable despite their age difference which is what makes the segment so heartbreaking to begin with.

To me it just seems like a lot of unnecessary pain caused to some good people because of some bad decisions most of which is on Mac but to his credit he was able to acknowledge that.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #28
unsolved88
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDante
Fair points. Something you have to remember though in viewing that segment it is told from Mac McDonald's POV. The segment is going to naturally be sympathetic to his viewpoint and his plight. That being said my read of the segment is that Mac legitimately did love this girl and his intentions with her were honorable despite their age difference which is what makes the segment so heartbreaking to begin with.

To me it just seems like a lot of unnecessary pain caused to some good people because of some bad decisions most of which is on Mac but to his credit he was able to acknowledge that.
I totally give credit to Mac. Most men of his generation would never have looked back and he even admits that he didn't do the right thing, although it's understandable why he felt he was left with little choice but to flee. I think their love was legitimate and he obviously cared for this girl.

I just think that while the actions of the mother-in-law were rather despicable and most parents in the same situation would never have behaved that way, I don't think the fact that she didn't like her daughter dating someone four years older at the age of sixteen in and of itself makes her the bad guy.
unsolved88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #29
DP1
Forum Regular

There have been a few cases where on this show where you find out that lost loves who died had other families and then just left them to start over. I'm thinking about that guy who served in WWI and the one about the guy who owned the newspaper stand in San Fransisco. I never got that mentality of just leaving your kids behind like that forever. Mac at least tried to atone for his mistake.
DP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #30
amandab1234
Forum Regular

I actually asked about this segment a while back. I really felt bad for Mac McDonald. He did seem to regret everything he did and his daughter still came off as bitter about him leaving. (I donít blame her but I really think her mother/grandmother brainwashed her) I wonder if he is still alive? Wasnít her mother there when the reunion took place? If I remember correctly she was.
amandab1234 is offline   Reply With Quote