Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #16
crystaldawn

I definitely think Stephen Geri is responsible for his wife's murder. I think the fact she was murdered on Valentine's Day was pretty significant. Pretty coincidental and unlikely a burglar would strike early in the morning too. There are a lot of things that point to him. His routine varied a lot that morning than usual and he left much earlier than he normally did. He goes to all these places and makes sure people see him (even going back soon after and reminding them he was in there) getting his alibi set. He calls her mother and asks her to go help Marilu with whatever she was doing. The mother didn't say but I'm thinking this was not the norm considering their cool relationship. No doubt he thought it would look better for him if he didn't find her body and wouldn't be normal for him to go back to his house that morning since he had such a busy day. Stephen painted their marriage a little too rosy if you ask me. Gushed about how wonderful they were when the mother says the exact opposite. I tend to believe her version. He was also deep in debt and Marilu was heavily insured. I lean towards that Stephen Geri hired hitmen to kill his wife. That would explain him leaving early (so as to not be there when they showed up), why the door was left open and why she was killed with two different guns (2 shooters). I don't believe he called her at 7 am and she was "busy, busy" and I wonder if phone records ever verified this call. The headstone destruction was always baffling to me. I can't see her parents vandalizing it so maybe Stephen's hired men did it but for what reason I don't know. I also don't believe that Marilu's parents were the one that asked for the settlement in the insurance case that Stephen wants you to think. They would have no reason and he probably figured he'd cut his losses and at least get something out of it. He was no doubt counting on the entire $400,000+ after she died because soon after his settlement, he declares bankruptcy. I agree there's not enough evidence to convict him but I definitely think he's responsible for her death.

On a side note the person that sent this episode to me did say that Marilu's parents are still alive. Both are 85.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #17
justins5256

Interesting analysis, CD.

I found some articles about the case that I posted a few years ago on this thread...

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...ghlight=marilu

An excerpt from the 12/21/88 Houston Chronicle...

"Last year, Stephen Geri was indicted for felony theft of $200,000 from a Houston savings association. The case is still pending."

I wonder how this turned out. It wasn't mentioned on the segment, that I recall.

Also, from 2/14/88...

a quote from a Sgt Jerry Clements...

``There was a table knocked over in the hall, but really nothing else was messed up in the house,'' Clements said. Although some drawers were pulled out in the bathroom, nothing was missing from the house.

This is a total contradiction to Stephen Geri's assertion that about 40k worth of valuables were stolen. I wonder what the truth in the matter really is.

Also, the settlement terms of the civil suit were not to be disclosed for two years. I found an article indicating that the civil suit was settled in May of '87. The terms of the suit should have become available to the public long ago. I wonder if one of our diligent legal researchers could find the terms of the settlement, and possibly who asked for it.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #18
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256

This is a total contradiction to Stephen Geri's assertion that about 40k worth of valuables were stolen. I wonder what the truth in the matter really is.
I forgot to mention that point in my initial post. I think he just made up that all the valuables were stolen in order to pad the insurance and have a bigger payday.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
I forgot to mention that point in my initial post. I think he just made up that all the valuables were stolen in order to pad the insurance and have a bigger payday.
I hadn't considered that. I figured he made it up to bolster his claim that this was a burglary gone bad.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #20
Stephen.Geri.Jr
First Time Poster

Default Need some help finding this episode on Marilu Geri

I am trying to find this episode if anyone can help me. Stephen is my father, more like sperm donor, that I haven't seen since I was 4 years old. I have been passed up on several good employment opportunities due to all this stuff coming up when my name is googled. Any help at all would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Stephen G. Geri Jr.
Stephen.Geri.Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #21
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen.Geri.Jr
I am trying to find this episode if anyone can help me. Stephen is my father, more like sperm donor, that I haven't seen since I was 4 years old. I have been passed up on several good employment opportunities due to all this stuff coming up when my name is googled. Any help at all would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Stephen G. Geri Jr.
Welcome! I sent you a private message.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #22
justins5256

The more I think about this, the more that I think Stephen is innocent. Is there any real proof that he murdered his wife?

I know they had financial problems and insurance policies in place, but so do a lot of couples. The insurance policy was a joint policy as I recall. Also, didn't the Geris sell or work in the insurance business? If so, it wouldn't be unusual for them to have a policy as they probably know more about the merits of having such policies than the average Joe and they may have been able to get discounts/better deals or perks along those lines (just speculating here),

In addition, it was mentioned on the segment that Stephen had several thousand dollars in judgments against him and was forced to declare bankruptcy some time after the settlement. The segment makes it seem like he was broke or at least on the verge of going broke. If he had hired help kill his wife, how would he have paid them?

The tombstone vandalism is certainly strange and might suggest that whoever did it had an immense hatred of Marilu Geri. However, notice how the vandalism stopped after Stephen Geri's sirname was removed from the headstone. I wonder if the perpetrator could have been a friend or family member of Marilu who had such an immense hatred of Stephen (likely because they believed him to be guilty), so they vandalized the headstone because

a.) they didn't want his name associated with Marilu or

b.) to lend credence to the Serrato's lawsuit by making it appear as though Stephen was responsible for the vandalism.

Even if Stephen Geri did ask for the settlement, it really doesn't say anything about his guilt or innocence, in my opinion. He may have just wanted to dispose of the lawsuit quickly and move on with his life.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #23
crystaldawn

Quote:
The more I think about this, the more that I think Stephen is innocent. Is there any real proof that he murdered his wife?

I know they had financial problems and insurance policies in place, but so do a lot of couples. The insurance policy was a joint policy as I recall. Also, didn't the Geris sell or work in the insurance business? If so, it wouldn't be unusual for them to have a policy as they probably know more about the merits of having such policies than the average Joe and they may have been able to get discounts/better deals or perks along those lines (just speculating here),

In addition, it was mentioned on the segment that Stephen had several thousand dollars in judgments against him and was forced to declare bankruptcy some time after the settlement. The segment makes it seem like he was broke or at least on the verge of going broke. If he had hired help kill his wife, how would he have paid them?

The tombstone vandalism is certainly strange and might suggest that whoever did it had an immense hatred of Marilu Geri. However, notice how the vandalism stopped after Stephen Geri's sirname was removed from the headstone. I wonder if the perpetrator could have been a friend or family member of Marilu who had such an immense hatred of Stephen (likely because they believed him to be guilty), so they vandalized the headstone because

a.) they didn't want his name associated with Marilu or

b.) to lend credence to the Serrato's lawsuit by making it appear as though Stephen was responsible for the vandalism.

Even if Stephen Geri did ask for the settlement, it really doesn't say anything about his guilt or innocence, in my opinion. He may have just wanted to dispose of the lawsuit quickly and move on with his life.
I still think he's responsible. All the red flags are there. Heavily in debt, wife is heavily insured. Actions differ on the morning of the murder than was his usual routine so as to make sure he wasn't in the house and making sure to set up an alibi by going to several public places and even going back and reminding people he was there. He was in debt but could have had jewelry or other property to give a hitman. Perhaps even some of the property he claims was stolen in the "robbery".

The headstone vandalism is still a mystery. I understand your theory about possible friends or relatives not wanting Stephen's name on the stone but not sure if they would go the lengths of destroying the headstone because after all that was Marilu's stone too.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #24
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

All signs point to Stephen Geri having a hand in Marilu's murder.

-He coincidentally changes his morning routine on the exact day his wife gets brutally murdered in a "robbery attempt gone wrong".
-He had a substantial life insurance policy on his wife and was apparently in a large amount of debt around the same time his wife was murdered.
-He went out of his way to re-visit the places he stopped on the morning of his wife's death to remind them that he had been there the morning before.
-In the re-enactment (I don't know how accurate it is), he asked for receipts at every place he purchased something at.
-He claims to have left his house at 6:25-6:30 a.m. and then went straight to the 7-Eleven store. He arrived at the store at 6:57 a.m., and the store was only two blocks away from his home. He should have arrived there in less than five minutes.
-He called his mother-in-law to run over to his house to help Marilu prepare for a party, and this is when her body was found. Why wouldn't Marilu just phone her mother for help? Doesn't this seem highly suspicious?

While there is really no physical evidence pointing to Stephen Geri, I think the holes and inconsistencies in his story definitely cast a considerable cloud of suspicion over him. While I don't think he was the triggerman per se, I do think he hired some people to kill his wife for him to absolve him from the debt he had. I think he left the house disarmed or open and the intruder/s came in and murdered Marilu. Meanwhile he's going around town purposely attempting to establish an alibi to prove his "innocence". I also think this is why he called his mother-in-law to go help her with the party. He knew she was already dead, and if his mother-in-law found her that would also help establish his "alibi". The whole "settlement" thing is a non-issue, IMO. It doesn't matter who initiated the settlement, I still think Stephen Geri was the mastermind behind Marilu's death.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #25
RedBasket
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
All signs point to Stephen Geri having a hand in Marilu's murder.

-He coincidentally changes his morning routine on the exact day his wife gets brutally murdered in a "robbery attempt gone wrong".
-He had a substantial life insurance policy on his wife and was apparently in a large amount of debt around the same time his wife was murdered.
-He went out of his way to re-visit the places he stopped on the morning of his wife's death to remind them that he had been there the morning before.
-In the re-enactment (I don't know how accurate it is), he asked for receipts at every place he purchased something at.
-He claims to have left his house at 6:25-6:30 a.m. and then went straight to the 7-Eleven store. He arrived at the store at 6:57 a.m., and the store was only two blocks away from his home. He should have arrived there in less than five minutes.
-He called his mother-in-law to run over to his house to help Marilu prepare for a party, and this is when her body was found. Why wouldn't Marilu just phone her mother for help? Doesn't this seem highly suspicious?

While there is really no physical evidence pointing to Stephen Geri, I think the holes and inconsistencies in his story definitely cast a considerable cloud of suspicion over him. While I don't think he was the triggerman per se, I do think he hired some people to kill his wife for him to absolve him from the debt he had. I think he left the house disarmed or open and the intruder/s came in and murdered Marilu. Meanwhile he's going around town purposely attempting to establish an alibi to prove his "innocence". I also think this is why he called his mother-in-law to go help her with the party. He knew she was already dead, and if his mother-in-law found her that would also help establish his "alibi". The whole "settlement" thing is a non-issue, IMO. It doesn't matter who initiated the settlement, I still think Stephen Geri was the mastermind behind Marilu's death.
This one was just replayed on Lifetime and it is a puzzler. Do I think the hubby has something to do with the murder of his wife? Probably. Can they prove it? Probably not, at least with the evidence shown on UM.

One thing that annoyed me (and I know it is odd) is that her parents said she was in a living hell and Stephen was all "It was the most glorious thing EVER!"

I do not understand the grave marker vandalism. Could it have been random?
RedBasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #26
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBasket
I do not understand the grave marker vandalism. Could it have been random?
I think it was someone who held Stepehn Geri responsible for Marilu's death (family member or friend), who wanted the "Geri" surname removed from the headstone.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #27
countryloving225
Occasional Poster

Default find the vandalizer...

I think Stephen Geri hired a hitman and I think the hitman was trying to reach out to the parents by the vandalism of the stone (whether it was because of lack of payment or remorse, who knows) I just got the hitman vibe from the show and since there are three key eye pieces of evidence left out, It begs the question and maybe an answer!
countryloving225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #28
sffan
Frequent Poster

I know your probably a long gone poster but, What's your opinion of your fathers ex wife's case?
sffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #29
justins5256

Just watched this again today.

I noticed it was mentioned that the records regarding the settlement were sealed for three years. Obviously, that would have ran out a long time ago...

Are there any legal researchers on the forum who could possibly find the original court documents and see which side requested the settlement?

Not that it would prove anything, it would just be very interesting to know.

One side has to be lying to UM, but this is a rare instance where we could possibly figure out who.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #30
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Just watched this again today.

I noticed it was mentioned that the records regarding the settlement were sealed for three years. Obviously, that would have ran out a long time ago...

Are there any legal researchers on the forum who could possibly find the original court documents and see which side requested the settlement?

Not that it would prove anything, it would just be very interesting to know.

One side has to be lying to UM, but this is a rare instance where we could possibly figure out who.
I've searched but found nothing. Only thing I came across was a woman who sued a Texas PD for wrongful death, whose name was the same as Marliu's mother.