Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates
Netflix Gets Funny with Pranks with Stranger Things Star; Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba Series Gets 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 17, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
justins5256

Default Marilu Geri story

I just got an email indicating this aired on Spike today. Is this true? Did anyone watch?
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
cmyweb
Frequent Poster

This is the one where the in-laws sued the husband and details of the settlement were not disclosed? At the end they mentioned that her headstone was repeatedly vandalized and then finally replaced with one that listed only her maiden name.

yes...it was on this afternoon. ...it aired at 4pm CST.
cmyweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
VikingsGal
Frequent Poster

This one was another puzzler. Do I think the hubby was involved? There was no evidence. The fact that his schedule deviated once isn't much of a motive. He did seem to make an effort to have a lot of different people see him that morning but again that does not a murder make.

What was up with the headstone getting vandalized?

I remember all the original episodes from the first run (I just turned 44) but this one I don't remember at all!
VikingsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
cmyweb
Frequent Poster

I don't think I recall this one from the old episodes, but I assume that if it was on, they did a better job. The splice and dice Spike eppie didn't really offer any proof one way or the other IMHO. It seemed the parents were the ones claiming he killed their daughter, but I didn't see the proof. (Although I would have expected the husband to be more distraught over his wife's death...) I'm wondering if there wasn't more presented in the original eppie that either implicated him clearly or at least gave more details or additional leads. I guess I really felt like something was left out??
Old 01-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
wiseguy182

this segment aired in UM's first season (88-89) and was never reran on Lifetime, so that may be why it doesn't seem familiar.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
cmyweb
Frequent Poster

Re-airing now...11am CST, SpikeTV
Old 01-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
VikingsGal
Frequent Poster

I think this is a story where there is a lot more (and I do mean A LOT) that is unsaid about the couple, both individually and as a couple.
VikingsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
iliekcheezomg
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsGal
He did seem to make an effort to have a lot of different people see him that morning but again that does not a murder make.
Didn't he apparently run his errands that day, and then return to each place the next day to make sure that they remembered seeing him? I thought that was...interesting. :P
iliekcheezomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:59 AM   #9
peachysquirt21
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliekcheezomg
Didn't he apparently run his errands that day, and then return to each place the next day to make sure that they remembered seeing him? I thought that was...interesting. :P
Yes he did do that. I am just now reading this story on the UM site. That to me seems very fishy that he would go & do that.
peachysquirt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
justins5256

I just watched the NBC version of this story. I'm not sure what to think truthfully. This really boils down to "he said she said" type antics with the husband and the in-laws slinging various allegations back and fourth. The in-laws really seem to believe that Stephen Geri killed their daughter, but I'm not so sure.

* The in-laws say the marriage was Hell for Marilu.

Stephen said the years he and Marilu spent together were very good and it was the best relationship he had ever had with "an individual" (I thought his phrasing was kinda weird in that regard, who refers to their wife as an "individual"?)

* Marilu's mother claims that when she found Marilu's body, there were various pieces of expensive jewelry laid out on a dresser as if Marilu was trying to decide which piece to wear when she was interrupted by the killer(s). The jewelry wasn't touched. If the motive was burglary, why was the jewelry left behind?

Stephen Geri claims that close to 40k in jewelry, fur coats and other valuables were missing from the house.

* Marilu's parents hired a private investigator. The PI attempted to verify Stephen's alibi. Stephen left the house very early that morning. The PI claimed this was unusual as it was not Stephen's routine. The PI also stated that Stephen returned to the same places the following day (the day after the murder) to make sure the people who saw him the day prior remembered seeing him.

Stephen had an airtight alibi for the time of the murder as he left the house very early that morning and ran various errands. The way I see it, the guy is a suspect in a murder and knows he has an alibi that can clear him. Why not go back and make sure that he was spotted the day of the murder? It seems stupid in hindsight I guess, and he probably should have let the police follow up on that but I didn't find it that unusual if he was trying to clear himself early on.

Stephen had a gun collection. He voluntarily handed every one of his guns over to the police for testing. None matched the murder weapons.

In addition, there was a civil suit tied to this case. Stephen had taken out a life insurance policy against his wife and himself. After Marilu was murdered, Stephen tried to cash in on her portion of the insurance and Marilu's parents blocked him through legal action. A settlement was apparently reached pre-trial, so the matter never went to a jury.

Stephen said his attorneys approached him and said that Marilu's family offered to settle.

Marilu's family vehemently denies this claim.

The terms of the settlement were not disclosed in the segment. There were apparently some judgments against Stephen and it was claimed that he enjoyed living the "high life".

Finally, someone repeatedly vandalized and eventually stole Marilu's headstone until a new one was put in place with just her maiden name.

I'm not sure what to think. He definitely could have had a financial motive. However, I really don't think the evidence is even close to being strong enough to take any action against the husband, much less to get a conviction. So, he's innocent until proven otherwise.

As a sidenote, this was apparently one of those segments that never made it to Lifetime but was shown on Spike. They talked a lot about the settlement, which was forbidden by the court at the time so I wonder if this was the reason.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:14 AM   #11
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
I just watched the NBC version of this story.
where did you find it?
Old 12-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
where did you find it?
I bought it from a collector in Pittsburgh.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:30 AM   #13
wiseguy182

I could go either way on this one, but I'm slightly leaning towards guilt. Stephen Geri is just completely devoid of any emotion in the interview.

I think what really bothers me is that this happened on a day where he broke from his routine, and that he claimed he was "extremely busy", but his errands were going to the donut shop? 7-11? "talking with a guy for a minute" eh, doesn't sound extremely busy to me. When I think of busy, I think of people doing lots of important stuff, not running a few simple and quick errands.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #14
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I could go either way on this one, but I'm slightly leaning towards guilt. Stephen Geri is just completely devoid of any emotion in the interview.

I think what really bothers me is that this happened on a day where he broke from his routine, and that he claimed he was "extremely busy", but his errands were going to the donut shop? 7-11? "talking with a guy for a minute" eh, doesn't sound extremely busy to me. When I think of busy, I think of people doing lots of important stuff, not running a few simple and quick errands.
I see what you're saying. However, we don't know what he had lined up for the rest of the day. Maybe he did have an important meeting early, and he wanted to get the mundane stuff (like the donut shop) out of the way. Unfortunately, they don't really touch on what he did the rest of the day, other then the fact that he was in the company of many different people.

I noticed that he mentioned turning the burglar alarm on before he left. I thought that was interesting. Assuming a burglary gone wrong scenario is what took place here, Marilu would have had to turn the alarm off herself. Or the burglars defeated it somehow. Or, he lied and did not turn it on.

We have a burglar alarm in our apartment. If I leave the apartment before my wife, I always disarm it before I leave (so as not to set if off) and arm it again before going out the door, so she will be safe alone. However, she isn't going to turn it off and re-arm it until she leaves. So, the alarm is still active while she moves about the apartment.

When Marilu was found, she was in a bathrobe only and her jewelery was on a dresser as if she was deciding what to wear. If she was planning on showering and then dressing for the day, why would she turn the alarm off? Isn't that a time when she would have been most vulnerable(?) - when she was showering and/or getting dressed.

I don't know much about burglar alarms, but I would gather that they are pretty difficult to defeat for the average Joe type burglar.

That leaves one other possibility - he didn't turn the alarm on, but he lied about it. Why? To make himself look like the concerned safety conscious husband? To cover his tracks?

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, I just find it peculiar...

What did you think of the headstone being vandalized?

As crazy this may sound, I thought of her family here. I could see them not wanting his name associated with her since they obviously hated the guy.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
justins5256

Something else I picked up on... it was not only Valentine's Day, but Marilu's mother's birthday. If he did kill Marilu, that is very cruel to do it on such an occasion. He must have had some serious issues with the mother-in-law and Marilu's family if that is the case.