Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; FX Sets Dates for Fall 2019 Schedule
Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
There's one laughable segment where UM not only missed the boat with what they were saying, but missed the entire friggin' harbour! Remember that segment they aired shortly after the San Francisco earthquake, where this so-called expert, Dr. Iben Browning, predicted that a catastrophic earthquake was going to devastate the Midwest within the next three weeks? They even had Robert Stack provide safety tips about how to prepare for it! Apparently, Dr. Browning was known for accurately predicting earthquakes, but needless to say, he was WAY off on this one.

One of UM's more obscure segments and with good reason.
This is the exact segment I came here to post. The prediction being framed in light of the '89 SF quake dated the segment considerably.

It's totally silly to look at now. It smacks a touch of fear-mongering too, in my opinion. Dr. Browning had been correct in the past, but this particular prediction was called into serious question by at least one other scientist that I know of, and I'm certain there were countless others. I can only imagine the hyperventilating that went on over that one.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:09 AM   #17
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynnS
I was about 18 when Geraldo did the live Al Capone's vault thing on TV. I was naive and actually believed they knew there was something in there or else they wouldn't have made such a big TV production out of it.

Blah, what a let down that was.

And now, he's tweeted a nearly nekkid bathroom mirror selfie.... at 70 years old! OMG!
yes yuck,and he thinks he looks 50.I'd dare him to put his age 50 photo beside that one. :O Looks like an old fogey to me.a pretty hairless one at that.
scc1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #18
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
This is the exact segment I came here to post. The prediction being framed in light of the '89 SF quake dated the segment considerably.

It's totally silly to look at now. It smacks a touch of fear-mongering too, in my opinion. Dr. Browning had been correct in the past, but this particular prediction was called into serious question by at least one other scientist that I know of, and I'm certain there were countless others. I can only imagine the hyperventilating that went on over that one.
Wasn't there another "doom and gloom" prediction segment which predicted another World War 3? Still waiting for that to happen...
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #19
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by egswanso
I would add the GD Anastasia/Anna Anderson segment... it was always likely she was faking, but now that's been conclusively proven.
Can't believe I forgot about that one. What really makes it horrible is that it's apparent she was desperate for her 15 minutes of fame.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #20
egswanso
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Wasn't there another "doom and gloom" prediction segment which predicted another World War 3? Still waiting for that to happen...
I recall a segment (and I'm virtually positive it was UM) that came out around the time of the lead-up Gulf War I which tried to use the predictions of "Nostredamus" to prove Saddam Hussein was the leader that would start WWIII or something of the ilk.

Along those same lines (but OT), I remember reading a book (I believe it was the Book of Lists II or something similar) that came out in the late 70s which had a bunch of predictions by self-proclaimed "psychics" until the year 2000 or so - I remember going through them in High school and even with a very liberal interpretation of the same, virtual all (like 99 out of 100) were totally wrong, usually so off-base as to laughable. Especially when you think of all the truly important things that happened in the world between 1980-2000, it just showed how utterly worthless these professional charlatans are.
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
egswanso
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
Can't believe I forgot about that one. What really makes it horrible is that it's apparent she was desperate for her 15 minutes of fame.
Let's be honest, though - if you were a mentally disturbed polish peasant girl and all of a sudden nobility started to think you were one of them and basically fed, clothed and supported you in luxury (whilst expecting nothing in return), can you really blame her?

I think it's a fascinating example of the DESIRE to believe (in this case, from friends and relatives of Anastasia Nikolaevna) in the face of evidence to the contrary that is applicable and evident in many, many other UM cases (like virtually ever case where a parent claims a suicide was actually murder and so forth)
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #22
ILikeTurtles
Frequent Poster

I don't look at these cases in a negative light, but it's interesting to look back at how technology would have changed/solved a lot of the fates for unsolved cases.

Pretty much all the UFO cases would be looked at differently today had there been cell phone cameras (assuming the stories weren't full of BS).

All the pay-phone related crimes (Angela Hammond, for one, would of had a cell) would have never happened.

Certain crimes would have probably been solved because with DNA advancements and having better capabilities to preserve/recover evidence from initial crime scenes.

I'm sure there's more.
ILikeTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #23
cordwainer1453
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I recall a segment (and I'm virtually positive it was UM) that came out around the time of the lead-up Gulf War I which tried to use the predictions of "Nostredamus" to prove Saddam Hussein was the leader that would start WWIII or something of the ilk.
Funny thing is with Nostradamus, that NONE of these TV shows that like to "quote" him actually use things that he wrote. They just say he said these things without showing you where he said them. Much like the recent Decmeber 21, 2012 Mayan calendar crap. TONS of websites claimed that Nostradamus predicted doom and gloom on that day, but zero actually provided a relevant verse stating it.
cordwainer1453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #24
Apostapler
Forum Regular

It's not every day you see someone walking around carrying a telephone!
Apostapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #25
MrYesfan
First Time Poster

Ha! I remember that segment with The Countess lady.^
MrYesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #26
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Let's be honest, though - if you were a mentally disturbed polish peasant girl and all of a sudden nobility started to think you were one of them and basically fed, clothed and supported you in luxury (whilst expecting nothing in return), can you really blame her?

I think it's a fascinating example of the DESIRE to believe (in this case, from friends and relatives of Anastasia Nikolaevna) in the face of evidence to the contrary that is applicable and evident in many, many other UM cases (like virtually ever case where a parent claims a suicide was actually murder and so forth)
Exactly. I don't blame her for what she did. Plus the childhood friend was convinced it was Anastasia. I actually thought she was the real deal after viewing the segment for the first time. Have to admit, I was disappointed when the update said she wasn't the real deal.

And I do remember the Nostradamus-esque episode with someone saying Hussein would be the cause/start of WWIII. WRONG!
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #27
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostapler
It's not every day you see someone walking around carrying a telephone!
Classic!
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:37 AM   #28
MegtheEgg86

Just thought of another: Melody Woods and Michael Short.

"Duh, I know what a beeper is."

"If it's important, I'll punch ya 9-1-1..."

I just kept wondering if TLC's "Waterfalls" ended up on their get-away drive mix tape.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:55 AM   #29
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The Rae Ann Mosser case immediately came to mind. The mother's eyeliner is very outdated. Especially when the new UM reran the case and made no mention of the date of Rae Ann's death.
It was fashionable for a while for women with blue eyes to use navy eyeliner and mascara. I remember coming of age and beginning to wear makeup, and piling on navy mascara, not knowing "the rules" about eye makeup and eye color (my eyes are brown). The effect was..interesting.

I seem to remember Rae Ann's hairstyle in her senior class photo being pretty indicative of the era as well.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:51 AM   #30
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Just thought of another: Melody Woods and Michael Short.

"Duh, I know what a beeper is."

"If it's important, I'll punch ya 9-1-1..."

I just kept wondering if TLC's "Waterfalls" ended up on their get-away drive mix tape.
"But Melody wouldn't leave without her HAIR DRYER!" That segment is hilarious for the acting and comments like that.

Another thing that dates it: He harassed Melody's house with phone calls and apparently the family didn't have caller ID. Now it would be all about him calling her a jillion times on her cell phone.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote