Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #31
ernmerica
Frequent Poster

Its just a shame these scum prey on the vulnerable like they do. Cases like these are why I have a permit to conceal, and I would pop this guy in a heartbeat with no remorse, alas these sickos only target moms and such. Really sick segment
ernmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #32
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

It's possible that her attacker is incarcerated in prison for another crime, as to why this case remains unsolved. I'm sure his attack on "Debbie" wasn't his first or last violent offense.
1990 UM fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #33
economistman192
Frequent Poster

Default Different Location

I know we can never blame the victim in a situation like this, and the responsibility falls 100% on the person that committed the crime. That being said, I watched this recently and thought, you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER let them take you to the second location. I think he could tell she was terrified, but I find it highly unlikely that he would have killed all those people in the store and then what? If she had the getaway car, what was he going to do when the other shop owners called the police - walked?

I know she didn't want that on her conscience, the possibility of other people being harmed, but I feel that was her chance to save herself. Did he go into the store with the shotgun? It's very possible that being a liquor store the owner had a gun of his own or a way to call the police if someone weird was in the store. I'm so sorry this happened, but I regret that she didn't leave him there when she had the chance. At some point, when he was paying for the alcohol he must have had his back to her. And the fact that he even threatened to kill the others, means he had murderous intent and that she probably wasn't going to survive the encounter.
economistman192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #34
MegtheEgg86

I had this thought suddenly today: what if this man is an out-of-state prison escapee? It occurred to me when I was reading an article about my home state having the third-highest number of unapprehended prison escapees in the country, with only California and New York having more.

Perhaps it sounds a bit far-fetched, but he did reportedly claim to have killed a man in New York, and got out of the area very quickly immediately afterward.

I don't know, what do you all think?

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #35
1990 UM fan

The scene they showed where she was walking out of the woods towards the cops on the highway is chilling. I wonder where "Debbie" is today?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #36
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by economistman192
I know we can never blame the victim in a situation like this, and the responsibility falls 100% on the person that committed the crime. That being said, I watched this recently and thought, you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER let them take you to the second location. I think he could tell she was terrified, but I find it highly unlikely that he would have killed all those people in the store and then what? If she had the getaway car, what was he going to do when the other shop owners called the police - walked?
Sorry to bump an old post, but one detail we shouldn't forget is that the perp took the car keys inside with him. Debbie's only option would have been to get out and run and there's always the danger that he could have shot her and everyone else in the store before taking her car and driving away.
RobinW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #37
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Ernest Cherry looks like a promising suspect in this case, IMO. Here's a link (with a picture) to his DOC file. He is serving a life sentence for the brutal rape and attempted murder of a woman in NC from 1992. There's some eerie similarities to "Debbie's" case as well.

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi/...lts&listpage=1
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #38
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Ernest Cherry looks like a promising suspect in this case, IMO. Here's a link (with a picture) to his DOC file. He is serving a life sentence for the brutal rape and attempted murder of a woman in NC from 1992. There's some eerie similarities to "Debbie's" case as well.

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi/...lts&listpage=1
WHOA. Nice work, man!

I think it makes a lot of sense. All his convictions were in Forsyth County, which is precisely where "Debbie" was abducted. And as you said, the crimes are very similar.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #39
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
WHOA. Nice work, man!

I think it makes a lot of sense. All his convictions were in Forsyth County, which is precisely where "Debbie" was abducted. And as you said, the crimes are very similar.
IIRC, they have DNA from "Debbie's" attack. I wonder if they ever tried it on Cherry or any other POI with similar MO's around the area.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #40
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
IIRC, they have DNA from "Debbie's" attack. I wonder if they ever tried it on Cherry or any other POI with similar MO's around the area.
Yes, that's correct. If they haven't, I wonder if it's a law enforcement jurisdiction complication that's to blame. Debbie was found in Cumberland County after being abducted and driven from Forsyth County, which is over two hours away. I think she was found by NC state patrol/police/troopers/public safety officers. I honestly can't remember who the investigating agencies were/are.

Just by looking at a NC road atlas, I get the sense this was not at all a pre-planned thing. He drove southeast to Fayetteville before ultimately ending up in Hamilton County, FL--which he could've gotten to by at least two more direct routes from Winston-Salem. I get the feeling he was on a bender when he committed the crime, for lack of a better word. The drinking thing has always bothered me too. I got this sense that he HAD to drink his way through it or something.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #41
1990 UM fan

Quote:
Yes, that's correct. If they haven't, I wonder if it's a law enforcement jurisdiction complication that's to blame. Debbie was found in Cumberland County after being abducted and driven from Forsyth County, which is over two hours away. I think she was found by NC state patrol/police/troopers/public safety officers. I honestly can't remember who the investigating agencies were/are.

Just by looking at a NC road atlas, I get the sense this was not at all a pre-planned thing. He drove southeast to Fayetteville before ultimately ending up in Hamilton County, FL--which he could've gotten to by at least two more direct routes from Winston-Salem. I get the feeling he was on a bender when he committed the crime, for lack of a better word. The drinking thing has always bothered me too. I got this sense that he HAD to drink his way through it or something.
the Winston-Salem police department are in charge of her case currently, but not sure if it's in an open status or not.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #42
baloony
Forum Regular

I made the mistake of watching this segment last night, right before time to go to bed! Talk about nighmare fuel.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #43
James T

Quote:

With the national DNA database would it even be a problem the last 10-15 years? It is highly likely that this lowlife has been caught for other sexual & violent crimes & should be on the database. I know cold cases like this are supposed to be looked at fairly regularly so it is hard to believe they haven't found him-unless he got killed or overdosed on drugs before he got caught for anything serious.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #44
PerhapsIt'sYou
Occasional Poster

Just for the record, NC has no statute of limitations for felonies and violent misdemeanors

There is a significant chance the culprit is dead now. He would be 60+ today. I'm guessing he lived a high-risk and not too healthy lifestyle
PerhapsIt'sYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #45
Tap Dancer
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cori aka ChrisSCrush
Unless there's another person of the same name in the same state, her class reunion picture from last year is online: http://thsclassof1966.com/index_files/Page1151.html
It's been a long time, so that link doesn't work anymore. This one does, though: http://www.tshsclass65.myevent.com/3/miscellaneous3.htm

Tap Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote