Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates
Netflix Gets Funny with Pranks with Stranger Things Star; Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba Series Gets 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 17, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Default "Debbie" (NC Woman Shotgunned in Face)

After watching this one case.....I've gone 'googling' as I sometimes do, but can't come up with anything. I did find a two and a half yr old thread on here concerning the case......but it didn't reveal any leads/updates. At the risk of beating a dead horse, I just wanted to bring it up again in the hopes maybe something new will be revealed.

The Case:

On the morning of March 22, 1990, "Debbie" withdrew a large sum of money from a bank in Winston-Salem, NC. As she was getting into her car and preparing to leave, she was violently accosted by a black male who forced his way into her car and forced her to drive to a liquor store 3 miles away.

After buying some whiskey, the man forced her to drive out of town towards Fayetteville. Then after driving for over four hours, he forced her to pull off the road about 3-4 miles north of Fayetteville. He drug her into the woods, she managed to break free and a brief chase ensued. After being overtaken, she was savagely beaten, raped and basically left for dead. The man's final chilling act involved shooting her in the face at point blank range with a 12-gauge double barreled shotgun.

I'm really hoping this isn't one of those cases that just fades to black w/o ever getting solved.....the physical evidence left behind keeps my hopes up a tad bit, esp. with technology today......but still, this is one of those ones you just wish there was a resolution too.
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
crystaldawn

Yes I wish we could find out if anyone was ever arrested. I wouldn't be suprised if there hadn't been one, it seems like the guy could have been a drifter. Its also tough to try and research online since they never gave her real name (of course I can understand why she wouldn't want it revealed).
Old 01-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
lilmissd
Frequent Poster

Default Debby

Yes, I remember this case well. I think that he had seen her before she went into the bank, and waited for her to come out. Do you know if he stole the money she withdrew? I am assuming that he stole her car to get out of the area. The shooting was so sensless; I mean the guy had what he wanted, and in the condition she was in didn't pose much of a threat and shooting her was like rubbing salt in the wound, so to speak. This guy was going for the "overkill" method, and was probably high on drugs especially if he was a drifter or homeless. It's such as shame that someone has gotten away with this heinous crime all these years, and I hope someday that he'll be caught. What scares me is, that he got away with it once and that he has done/or will do it again to someone else, and this time he'll kill them!
lilmissd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:07 AM   #4
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

From what I got out of the segment, he didn't take her money.....she must've put that away before she got to her car or right before he jumped in it.....

I'd venture to put money on the chance that the perp is either dead or rotting away in some other prison (in another state maybe?) for some other crime........

One can only hope though......
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
Thinman
Frequent Poster

This was truly one of the most horrifying UM segments I ever saw. This one scared the bejeezus out of me.
Thinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinman
This was truly one of the most horrifying UM segments I ever saw. This one scared the bejeezus out of me.
I totally agree! When they distort the attackers voice as he's chasing her through the woods and he keeps saying "you ain't going nowhere"...
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Well, what is also scary is, depending on what NC law is, they might have given up, since if he was caught, the charges would presumably be, car jacking, kidnapping, sexual assault, attempted murder, the statute of limitations might have expired on all of this so even if they caught the guy he might have got up scot-free.

I would say this guy is or has been in the system somewhere, they still have the DNA profile somewhere I am sure, run it through the nationwide database, see what happens, I am willing to bet it would probably come up that there is a match, to at least other crimes if not to a suspect. But maybe NC doesnt have a statute of limitations? I know Virginia doesnt have a statute of limitations on any felony crime.

Well, I bet that one trooper felt bad, knowing he could have potentially caught the guy, had he checked out the car like he was going to but then that speeder came by and he went after the speeder because he figured "Debbie's" car was probably just abandoned and was lower priority. They found the car in north Florida so that tells me this guy gets around despite the fact that he is probably a drifter, I am guessing his claim of having killed a man in New York is true, in my opinion he had killed and raped before and has killed and raped since Debbie, this wasnt this guy's first attempted murder and rape.

Only by the grace of the good lord did Debbie survive, I am still amazed she survived that and actually could get up and stumble a rather lengthy distance out of the woods to where the troopers were. That is good luck for her they were there when she needed them, but to survive a point blank range shot anywhere on your body let alone to the face with a shot gun, just amazing.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Drakken
Forum Regular

Yes, but the perp stole Debbie's vehicle and crossed several state borders all the way to Florida, which is a federal crime. Wouldn't that immediately bring the FBI in the investigation, thus nullifying any statute of limitation?
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Well, they couldnt charge him with the stuff that happened in NC because he didnt cross state lines. The only time he crossed state lines was after he stole the car so all they could do is charge him with driving a stolen car across state lines, there is no federal statute for attempted murder, so I guess the most they could charge him with is maybe potentially, they could charge him with violating Debbie's civil rights which would get him a 10 year federal prison sentence.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
unsolved88
Forum Regular

After searching Google news archives, I found a preview of an an article (you have to pay to read the full article) from the Fayetteville Observer newspaper dated 3/27/90 explaining that the victim was in critical condition. "Debbie's" real name is Phoebe Harrison Cooper and she was 43 at the time of the attack.
unsolved88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
Necco

I'm not sure this information should be posted.
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
everybodylovesrs
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necco
I'm not sure this information should be posted.
It was in a thing you might have heard of called a "newspaper". Thus , it is public record. It has been public record since 1990.
everybodylovesrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
Necco

I realize it was in the newspaper and I wasn't attacking the poster, I was just musing whether or not it was fair to the victim to post it after she opted to hide her identity in the broadcast. I often wonder about the people involved in Unsolved Mysteries (the early years) and if they would have gotten involved if they realized their lives (and dated hairstyles) would still be discussed 20 years later.
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #14
everybodylovesrs
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necco
I realize it was in the newspaper and I wasn't attacking the poster, I was just musing whether or not it was fair to the victim to post it after she opted to hide her identity in the broadcast. I often wonder about the people involved in Unsolved Mysteries (the early years) and if they would have gotten involved if they realized their lives (and dated hairstyles) would still be discussed 20 years later.
Then she should have told the newspaper to withhold her identity as well.
everybodylovesrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:56 AM   #15
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Unless there's another person of the same name in the same state, her class reunion picture from last year is online: http://thsclassof1966.com/index_files/Page1151.html
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote