Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
JRA2000TL
Frequent Poster

Default Gulf Breeze UFOs

I'm watching this segment as I write this. What do you guys think fake or real? I live in a neighboring city only 75 miles away. I was only 5 or 6 when this happened back in 1987.

I will tell you this, Gulf Breeze is a short boat ride across the bay from Pensacola Naval Air Station. It also lies about 15 miles west of Hurlburt Field in Ft. Walton Beach. Also in the Ft. Walton area is Eglin Air Force Base. There are an awful lot of military planes that fly over these areas often. I don't discredit these people necessarily but the abundance of the bases nearby does bring it to question. I am not aware of any military testing that goes on there.

Now that I'm more into the segment to the part where the guy found the model, it's most likely a hoax from what I can tell.
JRA2000TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
wiseguy182

Without a doubt, FAKE! What a loser that Ed Walters is. The paper plate model, testimony of his former accomplice, and abundance of sightings at various times in a short period of time is all the evidence I need to know it's fake.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
DarkDante

I certainly lean towards hoax. Ed Walters is a bit of a nut and if you watch the segment you'll see how he gradually unravels as the segment progresses.

Last edited by DarkDante; 10-02-2007 at 10:38 PM.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
crystaldawn

Yep I agree...he's a nut!
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #5
Charli-Ann
Frequent Poster

The humorist Dave Barry wrote a semi-serious piece about this for Miami Herald Tropic magazine. It was reprinted in his book "Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up." It was an interesting read - he describes Ed Walters as acting a bit crazy when Barry interviewed him.

Charli-Ann
Charli-Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:55 AM   #6
James T

Well there certainly have been a lot of sightings there and many of them captured on film, but yes I think he made it up, he followed up his first best seller with another book which was a lot of rehashing the first one but this time recalls his being abducted by aliens
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #7
studster147
Frequent Poster

As someone with an open mind as to the existence of ET life, i say without hesitation that Walters is a fake- to say his photo evidence is too good to be true is an understatement of considerable proportions- a bit careless aswell not to ditch the paper model on which his pictures were based....

i think the Hudson River Valley Case (also profiled on UM) is alot more interesting- in particular, the evidence of the police officer and of Dennis Sant who featured in the segment...any thoughts?
studster147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:25 AM   #8
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Okay, yes, it was obvious to me too that Ed Walters was a fake. I came to this opinion, after pausing the DVD and comparing the photographs, it was obvious that they were the same.

What gets me is how many people Walters got to buy into his crap. I mean, I think at least for the most part these people actually believed what Walters was telling them and that he just spread this story around like wild fire so many times that people began to believe they were seeing UFO's and all that.

It tells how careless and arrogant Walters was to not make sure to have his model with him when he moved to a different house. Walters came off to me as a whacko, a guy who while he was a fake, he almost came off as deranged like he honestly believed he was seeing a UFO or something.

I agree with what another poster said that the people who appeared in the segment probably genuinely believed they had seen a UFO, but that the objects they saw were probably from nearby Eglin Air Force Base which is one of the largest if not the largest air force base in the country, it takes up parts of three counties I believe.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:37 AM   #9
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Okay, I was looking into this a little more, Ed Walters was paid a 200 thousand dollar advance for writing a book at one time. Walters also claims he was visited by Air Force officials and all that. He is just nuts.

I was also looking into some of the other people shown in the segment, Mayor Ed Gray III is now a member of the school board in Gulf Breeze. http://www.santarosa.k12.fl.us/schlbrd/gray.htm

Also Tommy Smith, his full name is G. Thomas Smith Jr and he is actually the son of a prominent Pensacola Attorney.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:10 AM   #10
ILikeTurtles
Frequent Poster

This segment is so AWFUL. It just drags on with a bunch of quick cuts from about 25 different people's inane opinions, headlined by Ed Walters pathologically lying about his stupid paper plates and the redneck kid saying he's lying. Back and forth and back and forth and UGH. Ready to fall asleep. They play the same two stupid songs the entire 20 minute segment and the show desperately tries to make a story out of a complete non-story. This segment should of been great like the other UFO segments they did. It's garbage. More infuriating than the Magic Rock segment.
ILikeTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:15 AM   #11
MegtheEgg86

IMO, it's awful because Ed Walters is awful. I actually think this is a great one to go to sleep by, because for whatever reason, that particular music lulls me to Snooze Town.

For whatever reason, I kind of chuckle at the way one of the residents says, "little lighted dome on the top", too.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #12
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTurtles
This segment is so AWFUL. It just drags on with a bunch of quick cuts from about 25 different people's inane opinions, headlined by Ed Walters pathologically lying about his stupid paper plates and the redneck kid saying he's lying. Back and forth and back and forth and UGH. Ready to fall asleep. They play the same two stupid songs the entire 20 minute segment and the show desperately tries to make a story out of a complete non-story. This segment should of been great like the other UFO segments they did. It's garbage. More infuriating than the Magic Rock segment.
I agree. I think between the initial segment and the LONG update, it must take up nearly a whole episode. The weird thing is, I could SWEAR i have 2 copies of this segment, one with Ed's face shown normally and the other where his identity is hidden. I have no idea what to make of that.

I almost hate to say this, but the people of Gulf Breeze come of as wholly ignorant in that segment, especially after the paper plate model was found, many of them were still testifying stuff like "I saw a UFO, I don't care what anybody thinks." The kid was actually one of the most likeable people on that clip.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:17 AM   #13
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
The weird thing is, I could SWEAR i have 2 copies of this segment, one with Ed's face shown normally and the other where his identity is hidden. I have no idea what to make of that.
I thought the one where Ed's identity is revealed was an update to the original segment (which was featured on like the first or second episode once the series began its regular run, IIRC). It seemed like UM revamped the entire segment after Ed Walters went public with his claims and some of the hoax allegations came out, about two years after the first segment aired.

Quote:
The kid was actually one of the most likeable people on that clip.
I agree; I liked Tommy!
Old 02-16-2014, 03:20 AM   #14
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I thought the one where Ed's identity is revealed was an update to the original segment (which was featured on like the first or second episode once the series began its regular run, IIRC). It seemed like UM revamped the entire segment after Ed Walters went public with his claims and some of the hoax allegations came out, about two years after the first segment aired.
That could be.

One thing about this segment I *did* like was Stack standing amongst that group of people. I don't know why, but it was just so randomly awesome.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:28 AM   #15
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
One thing about this segment I *did* like was Stack standing amongst that group of people. I don't know why, but it was just so randomly awesome.
Agreed.