Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; FX Sets Dates for Fall 2019 Schedule
Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #16
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Well Rick Church is now 38 years old, he is currently serving his time at the Menard Correctional Center in Chester, Illinois as the poster above indicated. In 1992 he took a plea bargain that spared him the death penalty, he was sentenced to two concurrent life sentences for the murders, plus he was also sentenced to 30 years to run concurrently for attempted murder and another 30 years to run concurrently for home invasion. Here is the link: go to it and then type in the last name of whoever you want to find and their picture and info will pop up.
http://www.idoc.state.il.us/subsecti...ch/default.asp

Of course in hindsight, I bet Church wishes he would have went to trial, since George Ryan ended up commuting all the death sentences to life in 2003 anyway. I am not sure if Church will ever be eligible for parole, I want to say that in Illinois, if you got a life sentence for a crime committed after 1978 you get an automatic LWOP sentence if you are sentenced to life, but I could be wrong, it might be up to the judge to decide parole eligibility, I dont know.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #17
DarkDante

It said on the update (although strangely not the one thats on the DVD) that Church is inelligible for parole. The update they occasionaly aired on "Lifetime" was a bit different from the one included on the DVD as it showed a photo of Church being lead somewhere in handcuffs and mentioned his sentence and that he was never going to be elligible for parole.

This case is so senseless, I mean all the murders are obviously but here we have a young man who just threw away his entire life due to one snap fit of rage. Rick Church had no record and wasn't a criminal by any means - I think Robert Stack said it best when he said "he became unhinged". Its just a shame that Church himself didn't seek out help for the problems in his life (the breakup with Colleen, his parents divorce) instead of letting his problems eat at him to the point where they led to this tragic conclusion.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #18
marlins3
Forum Regular

UM interviews are sometimes shortened for content. I tend to believe that when people break down in a big way on the show, the show cuts that out o fthe interview segment. They want to show the viewer the improtant parts of each interview. If a person is crying can't speak clearly for several minutes, the shows producers will not show that as they have to cut segments for time.
marlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #19
Babydollz24
Frequent Poster

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rella
What did you expect her to do? Sob for you? Don't you think she and her surviving family have been through enough? Do you have ANY FRICKIN IDEA what its like? To never be able to sleep at night from nightmares? Ever?
To loose your parents????????? To someone you thought you knew? I'll tell ya what, you sound like the type that would like to befriend the killer, maybe you would like to marry him? Poor, misunderstood young man........he's at Menard Correctional Center Illinois, knock yourself out!!!
You are reatarded. I was only implying that I thought she should be sadder. And another thing, you don't know anything about me, so how can you say I seem like the type to befriend the killer or marry him. Hun, you need to come up with something better than that. Get over yourself and stop being an Idiot. I wasn't trying to be mean to that girl I just found it a little odd she wasn't saddder. I vave seen other segments of Unsolved Mysteries of people losing loved ones, and if they didn't cry, they were pretty shook up.
Babydollz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #20
kadrmas15

Frankly, who are you to judge how sad she should be? Just because she isnt sitting there, balling her eyes out doesnt mean she wasnt terribly sad about losing her parents, some people handle grief differently, that is just how it is. Where your statement generated controversey is because it seemed that you were implying that because she wasnt balling her eyes out that she must have been in on Church murdering her parents.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:46 AM   #21
crystaldawn

Lets not get carried away here. Babydollz simply stated her opinion and I just wanted to clarify for Rella that we weren't implying anything concerning Colleen Ritter. Its just a matter of difference of opinion and I'm sure everyone on the board has a lot of sympathy for Collee Ritter, so lets not argue.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #22
SP4CE INV4DERZ
40-0 0WN3D
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmas15
Frankly, who are you to judge how sad she should be? Just because she isnt sitting there, balling her eyes out doesnt mean she wasnt terribly sad about losing her parents, some people handle grief differently, that is just how it is. Where your statement generated controversey is because it seemed that you were implying that because she wasnt balling her eyes out that she must have been in on Church murdering her parents.
Trust you to stir the pot.
SP4CE INV4DERZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #23
Charli-Ann
Frequent Poster

It could have been that she figured that Rick Church might be watching, and just didn't want to give him the satisfaction of seeing her cry.

Charli-Ann
Charli-Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:40 PM   #24
kadrmas15

Well SI, we all know you have never gone out of your way to stir the pot before.....
Old 08-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #25
kadrmas15

I am not trying to start stuff with you SI, you were giving me crap, so I gave it right back, dont take it personal.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:38 PM   #26
crystaldawn

Okay back to the actual topic. I am curious to know a bit more about Church's past life before he turned into a murderer. They never really said much like if he had a history of violence. Was this something that had been building up for a long time or did he just snap under the combination of his parents breaking up and Colleen dumping him?
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #27
DarkDante

I would say its the latter - its really unfortunate on many levels what he did. I really can't feel bad for him having murdered two people and attempted to murder more than that but it really is a shame. If he would've taken a few steps back and thought rationally about what he was about to do I really have to wonder whether those events would've ever taken place. I mean its possible that Rick Church had "snap potential" all along or maybe had a borderline personality I don't know. I just think in someways this is so rare and over the top for someone with no criminal history or history of violence to do. I think it may have just been Rick's desire to have the "final word" in his relationship with Ritter.

I'm not saying anyone should sympathize with Church (I certainly don't) but what may seem outrageous to us if we put ourselves in his shoes on the night of the murder with the fight with Colleen any little thing could've set him off and been what sent him over the edge so to speak.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:05 PM   #28
kadrmas15

Wasnt Church actually a college student? I think he had completed his first year of college, I am trying to remember if Colleen was a year younger than him or what, I remember her saying something about how they had dated in high school but when Church graduated and went to college they went to different schools or something, I cant remember if her and Church graduated together or what, Church actually looked like a clean cut kid, I think he treated Colleen well from what she said, it wasnt until she broke up with him that he got all obsessive and **** and then Church's parents splitting up, I think it was just too much for him to take but that is just my opinion based on what was said in the segment.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:55 PM   #29
Chris Billings
Frequent Poster

Yeah, Church was a college student and Colleen was still in high school. In the segment, they showed Rick calling her from college to check up on her.

As for his appearance, I agree, he was clean cut and didn't really look like the type to become homicidal but looks are deceiving I suppose.

Christopher
Chris Billings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #30
Babydollz24
Frequent Poster

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmas15
OMG, ok forget I ever said anything since everyone seems to want to start a fight with me about all this. Look I am sorry that I stated an opinion, and for one thing, I didn't even know the girl. I actually only started this discussion to say that Colleen Ritter looked like Kelly Clarkson, and then things got blown out of proportion. Oh and by the way, I would never imply that she was in on her parents murder, I never believed that at all. She just got mixed up with some guy who turned out to be a psycho. That definatley was not her fault. So to anyone that I offended, I am sorry, please don't make this out to be something its not. We are all here to discuss these cases, and what we think not start arguments with one another.
Babydollz24 is offline   Reply With Quote