Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates
Netflix Gets Funny with Pranks with Stranger Things Star; Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba Series Gets 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 17, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show
TBS Celebrates Seinfeld's 30th Anniversary; Netflix Renews Russian Doll for Season 2

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-31-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
hostedbyrobertstack
Forum Regular

Default do you think daniel wilson??

I was watching this segment, and in the update when his body was found 5 miles from his car, intrigueing. I wonder if he really had stayed at that homeless shelter where a man w/ the name of daniel wilson signed the registry. The signature looked identical. Do you think he could have wandered to billings and stayed there, and tried to get back to his car and maybe thats when he died, its strange.
hostedbyrobertstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
DarkDante

Anything is possible but its highly probable that this was a case of the police just not doing a broad enough grid search as it was and not finding his remains until years later. Did they ever note a cause of death?

I remember the update saying that he wandered from his car and possibly died of exposure. I'd say foul play in this case is an almost non-existant possibility but I wonder since the remains had been there for so long (I believe over 10 years), maybe they couldn't exactly tell how he died making suicide in my mind a distinct possibility.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Given that I know how cold it gets in that area, I'm going to assume that the fate of Daniel Wilson was either that he 1) wandered away from his car and froze to death in the cold Montana temperatures, or 2) wandered out there and committed suicide.

Since I don't think anything was found near Wilson's body that would suggest that he committed suicide, I tend to believe that he succombed to hypothermia in the cold Montana temperatures. This would explain why his body was found such a short distance from his car and why the body went undiscovered for so long. The sightings, however, are what trip me up a bit. Obviously, I do not think it was him in the Billings homeless shelter. However, it makes me wonder who it was...
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Well Daniel Wilson, I dont know that he would kill himself. His body being found does raise an interesting possibility of him being murdered although I think it is unlikely. However it is possible. I think the odds are better than not that Daniel Wilson wondered away from his car when he either stopped it for unknown reasons or ran out of gas. However it was obvious the sheriff did not do the extensive search he claimed to have done.

I b elieve the update said that Dan Wilson;s body was found about 3 miles from where his car was found. Wilson's body was found I believe 9 years after he disappeared. I think that there are two possibilities why Wilson's body was not found during the 1988 search. Either the sheriff did not do as extensieve of a search as he claimed or they did search that area but Dan Wilson's body was not there in 1988.

I know the sheriff to me seemed genuinely puzzled that Wilson's body was not in the immediate vicinity. He made it seemed like they searched a several mile radius and came across nothing. So it could be possible that Dan Wilson was alive for a while after he disappeared, for days or weeks, made it to the homeless shelter and then for bizarre reasons decided to go back to his car. Or he could have picked up someone and they could have killed him and stolen his identity. However wouldnt someone have been seen trying to hitch a ride out of the area? That area seems to be in the middle of no where so it seems like you would have to walk a long ways to hitch a ride or someone would remember picking up someone that wanted a ride.

By the way, Tony Harbaugh is still the sheriff in that area and was just re-elected last year I believe.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
fascination
Occasional Poster

Just watched this one for the first time. It doesn't happen often, but my jaw dropped open at the update. I guess I really thought that was him at the homeless shelter. It saddens me so much when I think the remains were right under the noses of investigators, but missed for whatever reason, while hope lingered in the hearts of loved ones.

Things to consider:

- was the registry signature they showed on UM the actual one, or was it one recreated by UM and possibly looked more like Dan Wilson's for that reason?After all the other stories of first hand sightings of missing people who were actually deceased, I don't trust the staff accounts that they'd seen him as much as that signature.

- the carbon monoxide leak could very well have caught up with him. Perhaps he felt dizzy or ill, stopped to get some fresh air, was disoriented and succumbed to the elements and/or poisoning? If he was driving that car for as many months as stated, a long drive may have caused the level of carbon monoxide to be lethal. (Although I don't know that's how CM poisoning works- I think you'd have to get exposed to it in one shot. If his family didn't die driving the car back home, then this may be a fruitless avenue. Perhaps someone else can shed some light.)

At least his remains were found. Makes me think of similar UM cases (Rogest Cain, Devin Williams) and if their remains were also not far from where their car/truck was found. I imagine having that closure is so crucial for their families.
fascination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #6
justins5256

Alright, let's not get too crazy into wild and outlandish theorizing. I always thought this case was a no brainer.

He wandered off in to the prairie and died.

I suppose it is questionable whether it was an accident or suicide, but either way, I don't think any foul play was involved.

As far as the sighting in Billings, I think the homeless shelter employees genuinely wanted to be helpful, but I don't think they saw this Daniel Wilson.

Also, the name is just so generic. I think the signatures look similar, but I'm not a handwriting expert and it doesn't mention if they had the signatures examined by such an expert. If they did not, then any suggestion of similarity is moot as it is a layman's opinion.

Further still, at least one version of the segment mentioned that the guy at the homeless shelter had a woman and some kids with him. This doesn't sound like Daniel Wilson at all.

In the end, I think this is yet another case of a family grasping at straws to cope with the unusual disappearance/death of a loved one.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
fascination
Occasional Poster

[QUOTE=justins5256]Alright, let's not get too crazy into wild and outlandish theorizing.

Was just trying to find an explanation for why the signatures looked so alike on the show.

I think that's exactly where this mystery ended up: accidental death or suicide. Ultimately it's the family that most struggles with that type of question.

I agree on the grasping at straws to cope. The segment really leads you down one path when it was another simpler one altogether. Seems like this happens a lot with eyewitness 'sightings'.
fascination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:48 AM   #8
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

The Bigfoot who nabbed Don Kemp snagged Wilson too.
Arnold_OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #9
Mike82
Frequent Poster

I recently saw this segment and agree that he most likely died of exposure. However, playing Devil's advocate how on earth could the body go that long without being discovered? For Pete's sake I once dropped my cell phone in a very secluded, forested area of a local park and it only took four days for someone to find it and contact me. I know Montana is very sparsely populated but that still seems a stretch: no human wandered into that area in all that time? Seems hard to believe.
Mike82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #10
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike82
I recently saw this segment and agree that he most likely died of exposure. However, playing Devil's advocate how on earth could the body go that long without being discovered? For Pete's sake I once dropped my cell phone in a very secluded, forested area of a local park and it only took four days for someone to find it and contact me. I know Montana is very sparsely populated but that still seems a stretch: no human wandered into that area in all that time? Seems hard to believe.
It has been awhile since I watched, but wasn't it a prairie situated somewhere along the highway? Probably not much reason for folks to go out there.

I really think this is one of those cases where the simple solution makes the most sense.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #11
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

The excess carbon monoxide that was leaking into his car, over time, really messed him up - enough so that he became irrational and disoriented enough to wander out into that desolate patch of prairie and die of exposure.

It took a few viewings of this segment before I figured the simplest explanation was the most likely.
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:15 AM   #12
LooksLikeCRicci

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike82
Those prairies are frickin huge. I've made the same argument in the Patricia Meehan case-- even though those prairies are along a stretch of highway, you can absolutely lose someone in them, especially if there was a fresh snow that may have covered footprints, etc.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:55 AM   #13
Guitar
Frequent Poster

I remember this case well because when I was a kid it blew my mind and terrified me that someone could get brain damage from a malfunctioning car.

I believe that he just wandered away from the car in a dazed, suicidal panic as a result of the carbon monoxide exposure. I don't believe that he checked into a shelter.

I collect autographs. Assuming that his mom's copy of his signature and the signature that was on the logbook that we saw weren't staged for TV (and why would Unsolved just forge the things?) I don't see any "striking similarity" there whatsoever. They look like two completely different sets of handwriting.
Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #14
LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar
I remember this case well because when I was a kid it blew my mind and terrified me that someone could get brain damage from a malfunctioning car.

I believe that he just wandered away from the car in a dazed, suicidal panic as a result of the carbon monoxide exposure. I don't believe that he checked into a shelter.

I collect autographs. Assuming that his mom's copy of his signature and the signature that was on the logbook that we saw weren't staged for TV (and why would Unsolved just forge the things?) I don't see any "striking similarity" there whatsoever. They look like two completely different sets of handwriting.
If I haven't welcomed you yet... welcome!

I appreciate your comments about the signatures. I thought there were differences, too, but I'm no expert...
Old 01-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #15
Cooker3
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256 View Post
I really think this is one of those cases where the simple solution makes the most sense.
Yeah this case is a perfect microcosm of all those missing person cases where the family desperately cling to hope they are still alive or alternatively didn't commit suicide when Occam's razor suggests a very obvious conclusion.
We had the classic eyewitness sighting which it turns out was unfortunately wrong like they are usually are.
At least we found out definitely what happened and the family got some resolution.
Cooker3 is offline   Reply With Quote