Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates
Netflix Gets Funny with Pranks with Stranger Things Star; Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba Series Gets 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 17, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-19-2008, 12:17 AM   #61
CanadianUMFan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartpc27
Of course, much of this hinges on what the husband says he found at his home when he arrived back; we basically only have his word that the iron was on, the water for the pool was running, a bath was poured, and the phone was off the hook (I assume the presence of the purse is verifiable indepently of the husband, but I could even be wrong there). In a wild scenario, perhaps the husband himself had her killed, and now uses the "I insist it was murder" act to protect himself should it ever come to light she actually was murdered (though I assume Pat Conway is likely dead now, given his apparent age in the segment).
As I was first viewing the segment, I wondered about the husband. The problem there is that he was the one who first raised the issue that it was foul play. It seemed like the authorities were more than willing to assume that it was an accident but he was the one protesting that it wasn't. Of course, he could have been playing some kind of game but he didn't really seem like the type and playing any games certainly could have easily backfired on him anyway.
CanadianUMFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #62
CanadianUMFan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartpc27
No one ever responded to this post I thought I just about solved this case!
You have sold me on the stroke theory! The rule of thumb that I now try to follow with these cases is to look for the simplest explanation that can account for all of the facts (as they have been presented in the UM segment). While there have been good suicide and murder theories presented in this thread, they just seem far too complicated to have reasonably occurred. Vehicular suicides are rare as has been mentioned and I would venture a guess that it is even more rare for women to die in this way. As for the theory about three burglars travelling in three separate vehicles ultimately boxing in Ayleen Conway and causing her death, again, this just seems far too complicated to have had a reasonable chance of happening. The stroke theory seems to be the most plausible while being consistent with all of the facts in the case as we know them from the UM segment.

Last edited by CanadianUMFan; 08-19-2008 at 02:14 AM.
CanadianUMFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #63
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianUMFan
You have sold me on the stroke theory! The rule of thumb that I now try to follow with these cases is to look for the simplest explanation that can account for all of the facts (as they have been presented in the UM segment). While there have been good suicide and murder theories presented in this thread, they just seem far too complicated to have reasonably occurred. Vehicular suicides are rare as has been mentioned and I would venture a guess that it is even more rare for women to die in this way. As for the theory about three burglars travelling in three separate vehicles ultimately boxing in Ayleen Conway and causing her death, again, this just seems far too complicated to have had a reasonable chance of happening. The stroke theory seems to be the most plausible while being consistent with all of the facts in the case as we know them from the UM segment.
Thanks for the kind words in this and other posts! I was very excited the day I made these observations, because I kind of knew that it was unlikely any post I ever made from that point forward would be as good as those were. So thanks again for taking notice, and I'm glad I convinced somebody!
Old 08-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #64
Mastermind

If i read correctly,

There was indeed valuables missing from the home? If so what and how much?

I think the simplest explanation that might be the most accurate, would be murder.

I think she surprised some robbers and was killed somehow along the way, possibly by accident in escaping the robber.

If she did have a stroke. How far where the neighbors and how far was she from help? She had enough faculty to drive reasonably well for several minutes. Why would she not be able to drive to the nearest gas station or neighbor for help? Or why wouldn;t she drive in the direction of the hospital or the police or even her husband's work?

I would buy the stroke theory more if she was found closer to her home and if the car was so badly destroyed.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #65
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind
If she did have a stroke. How far where the neighbors and how far was she from help? She had enough faculty to drive reasonably well for several minutes. Why would she not be able to drive to the nearest gas station or neighbor for help? Or why wouldn;t she drive in the direction of the hospital or the police or even her husband's work?

I would buy the stroke theory more if she was found closer to her home and if the car was so badly destroyed.
All good points, and perhaps the answers the stroke theory gives are not entirely satisfactory (I would postulate that she panicked, got into her car INTENDING to go to the hospital and somehow got either confused or lost along the way).

If she was murdered, given all the restrictions that appear to be on that theory, exactly how was it accomplished?
mozartpc27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #66
Mastermind

BTW i don;t think your theory is bad. I just think it might be based on incomplete evidence.

The phone being off the hook is the biggest clue in this case.

Things we need to know. ( i have a hazy memory on this case)

1. What exactly was missing from the house?

2. Is there anything in Ayleen's background that would point to foul play or a possible flight?

3. How exactly did Ayleen die? Was the fire indeed deliberately set.

4. Is there any evidence to link the husband to the case. Was there a large insurance policy. Was the couples relationship intact or were there problems.

5. I don;t know if it is possible considering this happened way back? But i suppose there is no way to confirm whether Ayleen actually made a call from her phone. And to whom the call was made to? I assume that 911 did not receive a call at the time.
If Ayleen had a stroke, she would have tried to call 911 first and when the operator was on the line she would have had the difficulty of not being able to speak. The operator would have most likely still recorded the call and tried to send someone over for a driveby. If Ayleen did not have the faculty to dial 911 or continue with the call i don't think she would have the faculty to get her car keys out of her bag and back up the car out of her driveway and get on to a major road.

6.There was no evidence of a struggle inside the house. But if she was checking on her pool the struggle could have occured outside. Possibly she may have escaped the struggle and tried to flee in her car.

7.If she was hit on head during a struggle she might have been confused driving the car to find help and would prodice the same effect as the "stroke theory" would.

8. It also occurs to me that, leaving your phone off the hook is also a way to make sure your not disturbed by an incoming call. Perhaps there was something going on in the house that Ayleen did not want to be disturbed by an outside call. Or perhaps Ayleen simply didn;t want to be disturbed by outside calls while doing her chores.
if she was taking a bath, maybe she just wanted to relax and not be disturbed by ringing. I seem to remember hearing about people who leave the phone off the hook while taking a bath, so they don;t have to hear the ringing and run out of the tub to pick up the phone. I doubt her husband would be privy to her habits when doing chores during the daytime, so here leaving the phone off the hook would seem out of place to him, but perhaps not out of place to her.

Last edited by Mastermind; 08-20-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #67
DJ_Foxx
Frequent Poster

Were the phone records in this case ever checked? I ask this because I think that maybe she got a call that someone had been hurt or maybe someone called her and needed her help right away. Whether that call was legit or not remains to be seen. I can remember getting a call that my sister had been badly hurt in an accident and I got to the hospital but I can't tell you how I got there...lol. I came back home to find that I must have been in a blind haste because I left the tv on, water running, and my front door unlocked. That experience made me think of this case for some reason.

My other guess would be that Aileen was badly in need of medical help herself in some way and just decided to seek it herself rather than wait for the paramedics.
DJ_Foxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #68
LiveByTheSea
Frequent Poster

This story is so weird. If she was in need of medical attention, why would she drive out to an area where she's never been to? Even if she was, how did her car end up crashing into a bridge with the car burning up like it was intentionally set on fire?
LiveByTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #69
Mastermind

---This story is so weird. If she was in need of medical attention, why would she drive out to an area where she's never been to? Even if she was, how did her car end up crashing into a bridge with the car burning up like it was intentionally set on fire?---

Too much of this case screams of foul play
Old 06-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #70
uncleslappy38
Occasional Poster

Longtime reader, first time poster.

I just to let you all know I immediately come here to read the forums after I watch a segment.

I have to say, of all the UM segments, this is one of the most puzzling.

I'd like to offer my opinions, if I may:

Ayleen is at home in the morning multitasking by filling the pool, ironing some clothes (or just one article), and filling the bathtub all at once. A woman with 6-7 children would have to be able to juggle multiple things at once.

I like the stroke / heart attack theory. She's in the bathroom, she fumbles for the phone, but due to the pain she's in, can't function enough to call 911 or perhaps because of a stroke, can't speak.

So, she stumbles out of the house leaving the iron on and hose on, as well and the sliding glass door open. She attempts to drive herself to hospital, but becomes disoriented, gets on this unfamiliar road, loses control of the car, and crashes.

Does anyone know if this dirt road might be between her house and a hospital?

As I'm writing this I'm turning over all the other theories. Murder mostly fits. There was a rash of burglaries in the area. Jewelry was missing? I don't remember this being stated in the segment. Where is this information coming from? Could the jewelry have been in the car? Was any suspects caught for the local burglaries?

Okay, brand new theory (I think). Dementia? The Conways were married for 33 years, so that puts her at her youngest, in her mid-50's at the time of her death. Could she have been suffering from early signs of Dementia without anyone knowing and this day she had a particularly bad episode, got confused and wandered out of her house?

This scenario reminds me of the case of the elderly man that got confused on this way to pick up his wife from the bus station and vanished.

Any thoughts?
uncleslappy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #71
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleslappy38
Longtime reader, first time poster.

I just to let you all know I immediately come here to read the forums after I watch a segment.

I have to say, of all the UM segments, this is one of the most puzzling.

I'd like to offer my opinions, if I may:

Ayleen is at home in the morning multitasking by filling the pool, ironing some clothes (or just one article), and filling the bathtub all at once. A woman with 6-7 children would have to be able to juggle multiple things at once.

I like the stroke / heart attack theory. She's in the bathroom, she fumbles for the phone, but due to the pain she's in, can't function enough to call 911 or perhaps because of a stroke, can't speak.

So, she stumbles out of the house leaving the iron on and hose on, as well and the sliding glass door open. She attempts to drive herself to hospital, but becomes disoriented, gets on this unfamiliar road, loses control of the car, and crashes.

Does anyone know if this dirt road might be between her house and a hospital?

As I'm writing this I'm turning over all the other theories. Murder mostly fits. There was a rash of burglaries in the area. Jewelry was missing? I don't remember this being stated in the segment. Where is this information coming from? Could the jewelry have been in the car? Was any suspects caught for the local burglaries?

Okay, brand new theory (I think). Dementia? The Conways were married for 33 years, so that puts her at her youngest, in her mid-50's at the time of her death. Could she have been suffering from early signs of Dementia without anyone knowing and this day she had a particularly bad episode, got confused and wandered out of her house?

This scenario reminds me of the case of the elderly man that got confused on this way to pick up his wife from the bus station and vanished.

Any thoughts?
Welcome uncleslappy! Yes I totally agree, I think the Aileen Conway segment is the most baffling. I do tend to think she was going about her typical day and was surprised by robbers. No theory makes total sense in this case but it seemed they wanted her dead so she couldn't identify them possibly and maybe they hoped with the staged car accident police wouldn't think she was murdered. As far as jewelry being missing from the area, I believe Justin read that in some articles on Newsbank about the case.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #72
youngUMfan
Frequent Poster

Hi. I am a new poster but have read this forum for about 2 weeks now.

My question in this case is why have people not suspected the farmer reporting the case? What makes him immune from suspicion?
youngUMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #73
peachysquirt21
Forum Regular

I don't believe Ayleen had a stroke. I believe she was surprised by robbers. I think there is a possibility that she heard the robbers come into her home & she was either in the bathroom or made her way into the bathroom to call the police & they found her. The crime scene looked staged to me. Also the gas cap from her car was missing.
peachysquirt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #74
Mastermind

Quote:
There are several problems with this theory.

1. It doesn't explain why the gas cap was missing on the car. It would be an amazing coincidence that on the day she got a stroke that she happened to forgot to put it back on. Add that to the fire that was more extreme than in the usually car fire and the evidence of gasoline being on the inside. This all points to the car being set on fire intentionally.

2. I would buy this theory more if she was found closer to the home or near a hospital. But she was found way off in a place that she had never been. This leads more to someone wanting her body to be found as far away from the house as possible.

3. she has enough strength to drive the car so far, yet not enough to see a neighbor or stay on the line with 911? Did the phone records show a 911 call?

4. It's important to keep in mind that because of the fire, the exact manner in which she died is unkown. A very convenient fire this was.

The husband is innocent IMHO. If he killed Aileen, he;s scott free since it wa labelled an accident. Why would he force a murder investigation that could incriminate himself?

I think the reason that there was no sign of a struggle is because she was attacked outside the house while she was filling the pool. I think the perps forced her to drive to a far away place and then they killed her with a blow to the head and set the car on fire to hide the evidence.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #75
MissFit29
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind
I think the reason that there was no sign of a struggle is because she was attacked outside the house while she was filling the pool. I think the perps forced her to drive to a far away place and then they killed her with a blow to the head and set the car on fire to hide the evidence.
I still wonder what the motive was. I don't think they were trying to rob the house if they attacked her outside and made her drive to a remote place.

Lawton is a military town (Fort Sill). I often wonder if Pat Conway was a military officer, and 2 guys with a grudge went after Aeileen as retribution for something - they were dishonorably discharged, maybe? I just think it was too violent a death to just be a robbery gone wrong.
MissFit29 is offline   Reply With Quote