Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #31
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartpc27
No one ever responded to this post I thought I just about solved this case!
Well I found your posts interesting but I don't really think it was some sort of medical emergency. The way they talked it was a remote area not near their house that none of them have ever traveled on. I think the most plausible scenario was that the people who had vandalized houses in the area, struck during the day where Aileen was there in the midst of her housework and preparing to take a bath. Maybe this was the first time they had encountered someone home during these robberies and maybe Aileen could even identify them and they panicked and killed her. Perhaps there were two and they wanted to dispose of Aileen's body and make people think she may have died in a car accident so took her body and put it in her car while the accomplice or accomplices drove her car to a very isolated area, doused it with accelerants and put something on the accelerator and caused her to drive into the bridge with her dead body inside. Depending whether there was a car belonging to the accomplices they could have either left in the getaway car or ran off on foot. You really have to come to the conclusion that its some sort of foul play simply because of the use of accelerants.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #32
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
Well I found your posts interesting but I don't really think it was some sort of medical emergency. The way they talked it was a remote area not near their house that none of them have ever traveled on. I think the most plausible scenario was that the people who had vandalized houses in the area, struck during the day where Aileen was there in the midst of her housework and preparing to take a bath. Maybe this was the first time they had encountered someone home during these robberies and maybe Aileen could even identify them and they panicked and killed her. Perhaps there were two and they wanted to dispose of Aileen's body and make people think she may have died in a car accident so took her body and put it in her car while the accomplice or accomplices drove her car to a very isolated area, doused it with accelerants and put something on the accelerator and caused her to drive into the bridge with her dead body inside. Depending whether there was a car belonging to the accomplices they could have either left in the getaway car or ran off on foot. You really have to come to the conclusion that its some sort of foul play simply because of the use of accelerants.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was no definitive proof that accelerants were used on the inside of the vehicle. The investigator merely suggested that, because the gas cap was off, the fire burned hotter and more intensely than it would have otherwise, since the gas tank was exposed. If there was irrefutable evidence that she and the interior of her car were doused with gasoline prior to crashing, then I would have to agree (and I'm sure investigating authorities would have to agree as well) that it was either a bizarre suicide or (more likely) a murder. But I don't think the use of accelerants in addition to gasoline naturally present in the gas tank was ever proven.

I still think the problem with the "rigging the accelerator of the car with her already dead or unconscious body inside" theory is that there were skid marks prior to the guard rail, indicating someone hit the break. But how could she if she was dead, or out? If she wasn't dead already, and the killer was depending on the crash to kill her, why use a method of murder that was hardly guaranteed to work? Additionally, if the accelerator was rigged 200 yards from the accident site (near to where the Church bulletin was found), how did it reach the 50-60mph speed on impact before crashing? I don't think it's possible.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #33
justins5256

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was no definitive proof that accelerants were used on the inside of the vehicle. The investigator merely suggested that, because the gas cap was off, the fire burned hotter and more intensely than it would have otherwise, since the gas tank was exposed. If there was irrefutable evidence that she and the interior of her car were doused with gasoline prior to crashing, then I would have to agree (and I'm sure investigating authorities would have to agree as well) that it was either a bizarre suicide or (more likely) a murder. But I don't think the use of accelerants in addition to gasoline naturally present in the gas tank was ever proven.
From what I remember of the segment, and it's been awhile, there was an **assumption** that accelerants were used because of the amount of fire damage to her car. UM "proved" this by showing what would happen if a flame was applied to a piece of carpet from a similar vehicle. Interestingly enough, the carpet was made of a material that acted as a flame retardant and it did not ignite until it was hosed with gasoline. All that aside, I don't believe it was ever stated, as fact, that accelerants were used. From what I recall, the cause of death was changed to "undetermined". If they could prove that an accelerant was used, then I'm thinking it would be more likely classified as a homicide.

Quote:
I still think the problem with the "rigging the accelerator of the car with her already dead or unconscious body inside" theory is that there were skid marks prior to the guard rail, indicating someone hit the break. But how could she if she was dead, or out? If she wasn't dead already, and the killer was depending on the crash to kill her, why use a method of murder that was hardly guaranteed to work? Additionally, if the accelerator was rigged 200 yards from the accident site (near to where the Church bulletin was found), how did it reach the 50-60mph speed on impact before crashing? I don't think it's possible.
The fact that there were skidmarks suggests, to me at least, that someone was stepping on the brakes just prior to impact. I think its safe to assume she lost control of the car at a high speed, but why was showing going so fast and what was she doing out there? Maybe the chase scenario you suggested in an earlier post isn't that far fetched. They (the killers) could have come back and doused the car post-crash. Ayleen could have already been dead or unconscious.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:39 AM   #34
wiseguy182

it's alot of little things that point towards murder as opposed to suicide, accident or medical emergency.

1. the state of the house when it was left: bathtub running, pool filling, etc. When someone decides to commit suicide, it probably isn't so spur of the moment like that. It's more likely planned out well in advance.

2. I think the last thing someone would do in a medical emergency is travel in an area they are unfamiliar with as the risk of getting lost and losing precious amounts of time is quite high.

3. An accident is possible, but why would someone voluntarily leave their house the way it was left?

4. We did learn that there was a string of home burglaries in the area at the time, so a burglary/robbery here is very possible. Additionally, there wasn't any indication Aileen would leave her husband and I believe she had 5-7 kids.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #35
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
it's alot of little things that point towards murder as opposed to suicide, accident or medical emergency.

1. the state of the house when it was left: bathtub running, pool filling, etc. When someone decides to commit suicide, it probably isn't so spur of the moment like that. It's more likely planned out well in advance.

2. I think the last thing someone would do in a medical emergency is travel in an area they are unfamiliar with as the risk of getting lost and losing precious amounts of time is quite high.

3. An accident is possible, but why would someone voluntarily leave their house the way it was left?

4. We did learn that there was a string of home burglaries in the area at the time, so a burglary/robbery here is very possible. Additionally, there wasn't any indication Aileen would leave her husband and I believe she had 5-7 kids.
The problem with the murder theory to me is this: if she was murdered, how was it done? There doesn't appear to me to be a murder scenario that is very likely. Rigging the car seems too far-fetched, too difficult, too unreliable a method of execution, and besides the physical evidence at the scene (the speed of the car at impact, the skid marks) seem to argue against a rigged vehicle with one dead person inside being purposefully sent to crash. Other methods of murder appear even less likely.

As for why she was out in the middle of nowhere if it was just an accident, I would submit that if she was suffering a stroke, as I have surmised, she could hve easily become disoriented and confused, and simply made a wrong turn or two on her way to where she thought the nearest hospital or emergency room was. If you can accept that as an explanation for her location idea, the rest of the apparently mysterious circumstances start to make a lot more sense. A woman doing her normal, daily house chores suffers the onset of a stroke. Realizing something is wrong, she stops everything she is doing and picks up the telephone to dial for help. The stroke, however, has already either impaired her memory (so that she cannot come up with a number to dial) or her speech (so that even if she could dial, she realizes she would not be able to communicate her situation over the phone). Panicked, she finds her car keys and gets in, and just starts to drive, thinking she can remember where her doctor or the hospital is. Along the way, the effects of the stroke are such that she loses her way, and eventually she ends up in near death, loses control of her car, hits that break reflexively, and the rest, as they say, is history.

A simple accident does not account for why the house was left the way it was or why she was where she was, but a murder, to me, seems extraordinarily uinlikely given the evidence at the scene. If someone can come up with something a lot more plausible than rigging an automobile to crash, I'm willing to listen, but the speed of the vehicle on impact and the skid marks are major obstacles that would need to be overcome.
mozartpc27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #36
ForeverPluto
Frequent Poster

Please don't kill me board but was the husband ever considered a suspect? I'm not saying he's guilty because he seemed really genuine and sincere in the eppie but there's certainly that possibility he might have staged Ayleen's death to fit these circumstances???? I'm not sure what his motive might have been unless it was money but I'm just throwing something out there.

Also, there was something I noticed UM didn't elaborate on. At the scene, there was mention of skid marks from Ayleen's car. What wasn't indicated was if there was more than one set of tire marks or even a set of footprints to indicate that she might have been followed and/or was not alone?????

One theory I think could have also occurred and this ties in with the phone off the hook, maybe Ayleen got sick? Maybe she was about to call someone for help and realized she was getting worse, panicked and/or became disoriented and decided to go for help herself and thus ended up on that lonely stretch of road?
ForeverPluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #37
wiseguy182

Quote:
The problem with the murder theory to me is this: if she was murdered, how was it done? There doesn't appear to me to be a murder scenario that is very likely. Rigging the car seems too far-fetched, too difficult, too unreliable a method of execution, and besides the physical evidence at the scene (the speed of the car at impact, the skid marks) seem to argue against a rigged vehicle with one dead person inside being purposefully sent to crash. Other methods of murder appear even less likely.

As for why she was out in the middle of nowhere if it was just an accident, I would submit that if she was suffering a stroke, as I have surmised, she could hve easily become disoriented and confused, and simply made a wrong turn or two on her way to where she thought the nearest hospital or emergency room was. If you can accept that as an explanation for her location idea, the rest of the apparently mysterious circumstances start to make a lot more sense. A woman doing her normal, daily house chores suffers the onset of a stroke. Realizing something is wrong, she stops everything she is doing and picks up the telephone to dial for help. The stroke, however, has already either impaired her memory (so that she cannot come up with a number to dial) or her speech (so that even if she could dial, she realizes she would not be able to communicate her situation over the phone). Panicked, she finds her car keys and gets in, and just starts to drive, thinking she can remember where her doctor or the hospital is. Along the way, the effects of the stroke are such that she loses her way, and eventually she ends up in near death, loses control of her car, hits that break reflexively, and the rest, as they say, is history.

A simple accident does not account for why the house was left the way it was or why she was where she was, but a murder, to me, seems extraordinarily uinlikely given the evidence at the scene. If someone can come up with something a lot more plausible than rigging an automobile to crash, I'm willing to listen, but the speed of the vehicle on impact and the skid marks are major obstacles that would need to be overcome.
I'm not the world's foremost expert on vehicles, but there was another UM case where someone was murdered and it was enginereed to be a car crash accident (Kathy Bonderson.)

I don't know, if someone doesn't have the mental capacity to call for help, odds are there is absolutely no way they will have the mental capacity to drive somewhere for help. Plus, driving when sick/injured is extremely risky as not only does that person jeopardize their own health and safety, but also the health and safety of everyone on the road.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:20 PM   #38
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverPluto
Please don't kill me board but was the husband ever considered a suspect? I'm not saying he's guilty because he seemed really genuine and sincere in the eppie but there's certainly that possibility he might have staged Ayleen's death to fit these circumstances???? I'm not sure what his motive might have been unless it was money but I'm just throwing something out there.

Also, there was something I noticed UM didn't elaborate on. At the scene, there was mention of skid marks from Ayleen's car. What wasn't indicated was if there was more than one set of tire marks or even a set of footprints to indicate that she might have been followed and/or was not alone?????

One theory I think could have also occurred and this ties in with the phone off the hook, maybe Ayleen got sick? Maybe she was about to call someone for help and realized she was getting worse, panicked and/or became disoriented and decided to go for help herself and thus ended up on that lonely stretch of road?
the phone being off the hook is an interesting point that I forgot. There was another case where a phone was off the hook and it was done presumably while a murder was taking place (the Dr. Ted Losef case). could be the same thing happened here, but the murderer just forgot to put the phone back on the hook. Or it could just be that Ayleen didn't want to be disturbed while taking a bath.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #39
spark19
Frequent Poster

Quote:
the phone being off the hook is an interesting point that I forgot. There was another case where a phone was off the hook and it was done presumably while a murder was taking place (the Dr. Ted Losef case). could be the same thing happened here, but the murderer just forgot to put the phone back on the hook. Or it could just be that Ayleen didn't want to be disturbed while taking a bath.
Well, if Ayleen didn't want to be disturbed while taking a bath, that sounds more like something she would do every time she took a bath, and therefore it would be common and not necessarily mentioned in the segment? I mean honestly, if I don't want to be disturbed while I'm taking a bath I just don't answer the phone.
spark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:11 AM   #40
wiseguy182

looking at this case from a different angle, if it was a burglary/robbery, how come nothing was taken?

I'm curious to know whether the burlaries continued after this incident. If not, that would suggest to me that they did murder Ayleen, as they were probably not comfortable murdering people and intended to stick to home burglaries.

I never thought the church bulleting meant anything. It could have easily blown into the area by breeze. I don't think its either here or there IMO.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #41
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
looking at this case from a different angle, if it was a burglary/robbery, how come nothing was taken?
Actually, I believe Ayleen's family claimed that, after doing some investigating after her death, they discovered some jewelry and other valuables were missing. The UM segment does not make it clear how long after Ayleen died that these things were discovered to be gone.

In general, I think the point of your question, wiseguy, was right on the money. I was going to bring up the idea of looking at this case from the robbery perspective myself yesterday, but I wanted to wait and see what other people had to say. It was not apparently evident to Ayleen's husband or children that a robbery had taken place the day Ayleen died, even though the house was found in a kind of "suspended animation." If two burglars entered the house expecting to ransack it, how are we to account for this?

I think we have to begin by examining the case for murder very carefully. If Ayleen was murdered, she was murdered by one or more extraordinarily clever people: they figured out how to stage her murder so convincingly like a traffic accident that it's close to impossible to distinguish it from one. It's also been theorized that this killer or these killers were the same people who had perpetrated other burglaries in the area at around the same time Ayleen was killed. As far as we know, no one was killed or even home when these burglaries took place. So, we can surmise from this, assuming the burglarer(s) and killer(s) are one and the same, that these robbers generally wanted to avoid confrontation, but wound up accidentally surprising Ayleen.

But if these people were so damn clever that they could stage Ayleen's murder so that it was indistinguishable from a traffic accident, and they were experienced burglarers who had struck before, why weren't they clever enough to stake out the Conway home for even one day before deciding to try to rob it? If they had, surely they would have noticed that Ayleen was a housewife who was home during the day most of the time, and that when her car was in the driveway, she was home! It's obviously not the case that Ayleen went out for awhile and when she came back the burglarers were in her house, because it's obvious that she was in the middle of doing a bunch of stuff when she was interrupted. So, she must have been in the home when the burglarers entered! How could people capable of such clever murder not figure out whether or not she was home before entering the house!?

Next, upon entering the house, there was apparently no attempt to burglarize it, because presumably, if there had been, the family would have noticed things out of place, drawers that had been sifted through or emptied, etc. I suppose it's possible that Ayleen surprised the robbers almost instantly, so that they never had a chance to do anything without her seeing it. Why then didn't they just turn around and leave? If they did surprise her, they obviously did so at a moment where she wouldn't have been in much of a condition to chase them, even if she was inclined to take the law into her own hands: she was in the middle of daily chores, preparing to take a bath! If they had just turned around and left the moment Ayleen spotted them, they would have gotten away scott free in all probability, without killing anybody.

Perhaps, rather than flee, the robbers got the bright idea to take Ayleen hostage, and force her to tell them where to find stuff, obfuscating the need to ransack the house in order to find what they were looking for. Of course, this was not apparently their normal M.O., but let's pretend that's what happened. So, they find some jewelry and other things, then take Ayleen out into the country, where they do a fabulous job of staging an accident in order to kill her? And even if that sounds plausible, one would still have to explain exactly how the murder was perpetrated, as I challenged people to do before.

There are just too many complex variables here. A robbery is committed by burglarers who had previously hit homes that were vacated, and it is done in such a way that there are no obvious signs that someone other than Ayleen had been in the house. These people then decide they need to kill Ayleen, so they drive her several miles out of town, then stage a car accident in order to kill her. The "accident" happens in such a way that it is very difficult to imagine how it could have been staged while accounting for all the physical evidence present at the scene (a point that no one has satisfactorily answered as yet). Not only that, but on a road that was apparently as much dirt as pavement, they staged the accident without leaving any apparent trace of their presence at the scene: no footprints, tiremarks, etc.

Can anyone explain how the accident was staged so that it explains the skidmarks, the speed at impact, AND the apparent lack of evidence of another person or vehicle having been present?

The only scenario I can imagine that involves burglarers at all would be if they came in, thinking the house was empty for some reason, but Ayleen heard them. She picked up the telephone to call the police, but by that time they realized they were not alone and made a break for it. In a moment of vigilante heroism, Ayleen decided to go out to her own car and give chase. She successfully did so for a number of miles, before losing control of her car on a dirt road while following them at a high rate of speed and accidentally crashing.

Given Ayleen's age, apparent physical condition (overweight), and the lack of any direct evidence in the home of burglary on the day in question, I feel this is highly improbable.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:04 AM   #42
wiseguy182

It's interesting to note the number of inexperienced criminals that have probably gotten away with murder on UM. The usual suspects (Pollis, Caylor, Rob Page, Chad Noe and others) come to mind. I'm wondering if that is what happened here. Normally, one wouldn't think that such a rookie could get away with it, but it seems to have happened alot.

Last edited by wiseguy182; 08-16-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:51 AM   #43
wiseguy182

I just re-watched the segment, and it looks more like murder to me than it did in previous viewings.

1. The patio door was open. Nobody on earth is going to do that, and leave the possibility of intruders coming in and having it so that there's no sign of forcible entry.

2. She left the iron on. I doubt she would have run the risk of having her house burnt down.

3. She left behind her purse, which contained her glasses. Most women don't go anywhere without their purse, and she may have needed the glasses to be able to see to drive. Additionally, without a purse, she has no means of money, identification, emergency supplies (all of which could be imporant to her, including if the going to the hospital angle is true.)

4. Mozart, to answer an earlier question of yours, I don't find it particularly suspicious that the supposed burglars wouldn't have noticed Ayleen in the house. the farmer discovered the burning car at 10:40, The Conways lived at least 15 minutes from the crash site, making the absolute latest Ayleen left the house at 10:25, which is relatively early in most people's mornings. She could have slept in late that day or something.

5. Granted Ayleen might not have cared about too much if she was going to committ suicide, but why leave the good possibility of leaving your house susceptible to being burnt or burglaized, why put your husband and many kids throught that?

6. The use of accelerants has not been proven fact at this point, but it heavily leans that way for several reasons. Justin mentioned one earlier, and there are additional ones: The gas cap was missing, and one of the investgators in the segment mentioned that in most cases of vehicle arson, the gas cap is missing. Also, the car was burned very severely, and Ayleen's body was burnt beyond recognition (they had to do a trace of the car to determine who it belonged to.) which would point to arson as it would be immensely rare in my opinion for a normal car crash to produce that type of a flame.

7. Sorry, I don't buy the medical emergency. As I've stated before, she actually puts herself in greater danger by driving as she risks killing herself and others out on the road. Additionally, if she runs of the road and can't leave the car, there is a chance no one would find her until it's too late. whereas if she stays home, she can at least call 911 and have help come to her or go to a neighbors house.

For it to be something other than murder, it would have to overcome alot of unbelievable odds: the burglaries in the area would have to be a coincidence, Ayleen would willingly leave her house in the state it was in, she would have a reason for being out on a road she never traveled 15 minutes from her home, she would have to not have the mental capacity to dial 911 but would have to have the mental capacity to drive and also risk killing herself and others by driving, the use of accelerants would have to be disproven, even though it strongly leans towards they were used.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:06 AM   #44
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
I just re-watched the segment, and it looks more like murder to me than it did in previous viewings.

1. The patio door was open. Nobody on earth is going to do that, and leave the possibility of intruders coming in and having it so that there's no sign of forcible entry.

2. She left the iron on. I doubt she would have run the risk of having her house burnt down.

3. She left behind her purse, which contained her glasses. Most women don't go anywhere without their purse, and she may have needed the glasses to be able to see to drive. Additionally, without a purse, she has no means of money, identification, emergency supplies (all of which could be imporant to her, including if the going to the hospital angle is true.)

4. Mozart, to answer an earlier question of yours, I don't find it particularly suspicious that the supposed burglars wouldn't have noticed Ayleen in the house. the farmer discovered the burning car at 10:40, The Conways lived at least 15 minutes from the crash site, making the absolute latest Ayleen left the house at 10:25, which is relatively early in most people's mornings. She could have slept in late that day or something.

5. Granted Ayleen might not have cared about too much if she was going to committ suicide, but why leave the good possibility of leaving your house susceptible to being burnt or burglaized, why put your husband and many kids throught that?

6. The use of accelerants has not been proven fact at this point, but it heavily leans that way for several reasons. Justin mentioned one earlier, and there are additional ones: The gas cap was missing, and one of the investgators in the segment mentioned that in most cases of vehicle arson, the gas cap is missing. Also, the car was burned very severely, and Ayleen's body was burnt beyond recognition (they had to do a trace of the car to determine who it belonged to.) which would point to arson as it would be immensely rare in my opinion for a normal car crash to produce that type of a flame.

7. Sorry, I don't buy the medical emergency. As I've stated before, she actually puts herself in greater danger by driving as she risks killing herself and others out on the road. Additionally, if she runs of the road and can't leave the car, there is a chance no one would find her until it's too late. whereas if she stays home, she can at least call 911 and have help come to her or go to a neighbors house.

For it to be something other than murder, it would have to overcome alot of unbelievable odds: the burglaries in the area would have to be a coincidence, Ayleen would willingly leave her house in the state it was in, she would have a reason for being out on a road she never traveled 15 minutes from her home, she would have to not have the mental capacity to dial 911 but would have to have the mental capacity to drive and also risk killing herself and others by driving, the use of accelerants would have to be disproven, even though it strongly leans towards they were used.
I guess this proves the controversy of this case; I (obviously) think that murder is a much longer shot.

The fact that her purse remained behind in the house argues AGAINST burglary, not for it. What object, more than any other, is likely to contain things of immediate value --- money, credit cards, etc. --- than a purse? If people had actually been in the house to steal stuff, the purse would not have been there, or, if it had been there, anything of any value at all would have been gone from it. If that were the case, the UM segment would have mentioned it, because it would have undoubtedly bolstered the case for burglary/murder.

The patio door being openend is easily explained in the medical emergency scenario. She went out to fill the pool, and started to experience the onset of a mild-to-moderate stroke while outside. She ran back into the house to call for help, realized she couldn't speak well enough (one of the first things a stroke does is impair speech) to make a coherent call, and so ran out to her car to try to get help. The iron being left on is just the result of Ayleen panicking about the state of her immediate health. My guess is, if you're having a stroke and you know it, you don't think "I'd better turn the iron off." You think, "I'd better get help."

Good use of the timeline, wiseguy. In fact, it's so god that I once again thinks it argues against the burglary/murder theory. We know she had to be on her way out of the house NO LATER than 10:25. We also know that she appeared to be in the middle of some daily housework, which means she was probably in the house at 10:00AM. And, since she was drawing a bath, she had probably been in the house since the previous evening (i.e., she had not gone out yet to do the day's shopping, etc.). And, since Ayleen had a car, the most obvious sign in the world that she was home would have been right in front of her house! How could the burglarers fail to notice it? And why would they attempt to burglarize an occupied house, especially since all their other attempts had apparently been against vacated houses?

Finally, and this question STILL has not been satisfactorily answered, HOW was the murder committed, if it was indeed committed on that lonely stretch of road? How did they produce the skid marks if the car was rigged to accelerate until it hit an obstruction? How did they get the car up to that kind of speed before getting it to hit the obstruction (they would have had to have started this process a considerable distance away from the bridge to account for the speed on impact, which doesn't seem overly likely)?

These are questions that must be answered for a murder theory to even be POSSIBLE!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #45
ForeverPluto
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I guess this proves the controversy of this case; I (obviously) think that murder is a much longer shot.

The fact that her purse remained behind in the house argues AGAINST burglary, not for it. What object, more than any other, is likely to contain things of immediate value --- money, credit cards, etc. --- than a purse? If people had actually been in the house to steal stuff, the purse would not have been there, or, if it had been there, anything of any value at all would have been gone from it. If that were the case, the UM segment would have mentioned it, because it would have undoubtedly bolstered the case for burglary/murder.

The patio door being openend is easily explained in the medical emergency scenario. She went out to fill the pool, and started to experience the onset of a mild-to-moderate stroke while outside. She ran back into the house to call for help, realized she couldn't speak well enough (one of the first things a stroke does is impair speech) to make a coherent call, and so ran out to her car to try to get help. The iron being left on is just the result of Ayleen panicking about the state of her immediate health. My guess is, if you're having a stroke and you know it, you don't think "I'd better turn the iron off." You think, "I'd better get help."

Good use of the timeline, wiseguy. In fact, it's so god that I once again thinks it argues against the burglary/murder theory. We know she had to be on her way out of the house NO LATER than 10:25. We also know that she appeared to be in the middle of some daily housework, which means she was probably in the house at 10:00AM. And, since she was drawing a bath, she had probably been in the house since the previous evening (i.e., she had not gone out yet to do the day's shopping, etc.). And, since Ayleen had a car, the most obvious sign in the world that she was home would have been right in front of her house! How could the burglarers fail to notice it? And why would they attempt to burglarize an occupied house, especially since all their other attempts had apparently been against vacated houses?

Finally, and this question STILL has not been satisfactorily answered, HOW was the murder committed, if it was indeed committed on that lonely stretch of road? How did they produce the skid marks if the car was rigged to accelerate until it hit an obstruction? How did they get the car up to that kind of speed before getting it to hit the obstruction (they would have had to have started this process a considerable distance away from the bridge to account for the speed on impact, which doesn't seem overly likely)?

These are questions that must be answered for a murder theory to even be POSSIBLE!
And again the question that begs to be answered, IMO, is was there any indication of her being followed or not being alone on that road. I'm going to watch this eppie tonight because from what I remember, they did show skid marks on the ground but that was (supposedly) from Aileen's car. I don't think UM ever indicated if there was more than one set at the scene. I would think that maybe if another vehicle was following her and once Ayleen's car crashed, I would think they would be trying to haul butt to get out of there, hence tire skid marks going away from the scene, right? Or even if someone was in the car with her before impact, what about footprints?

You know, I love it when we really analyze cases like this because there are so many angles to look at. Honestly, I never really had much interest in this case until now. Keep them coming guys!!
ForeverPluto is offline   Reply With Quote