Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Comedy Central Gets Friday Talk Show; The Goldbergs Actress Releases Music Video
Fox Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; FX Sets Dates for Fall 2019 Schedule
Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #46
drMorgus
Occasional Poster

I fear sadly that we wont ever get a resolution to what happened for sure and how much if any involvement he had in the whole thing. I guess thats what keeps us watching these stories and coming on these forums and writing about them. As my girlfriend says to me all the time once the segment is over she doesnt really even think about it. She obviously does not have an inquisitive mind.
drMorgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:54 PM   #47
Dude111

Its interesting someone was waiting in a car parked on the street near thier house.... No one knew who it was!!!

Why didnt someone phone the police??
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:37 AM   #48
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appliance
Here's an article published a few months ago (Dec. 2010). 25 years now since the murder.

http://www.coloradocommunitynewspape...ld_case_hr.txt

They say that police do hold certain information about the case, which is not unusual in cases like this. Interestingly, the investigators says that they believe that the killer and the person who made the calls, letters, etc. and threaten to kill DJ's daughter are 2 different individuals and are not related. The UM segment was talking about the killer himself coming back to harass the family. Now they think it's someone who knew about the murder and tried to take advantage of the situation and extort money. How sick is that?

The positive thing in this: at least, the widow and her daughter seem to have been left at peace since the threats have stopped.
Was starting to read through this whole thread - it had been a long time since I had thought of this case - and as I was thinking about the letters I had the thought that letters are kind of like the “new” eyewitness testimony in missing persons cases for me - the eyewitness is almost always wrong and should be taken with a serious grain of salt, and after-the-fact letters seem almost always to be coming from people who were just weirdos, but not actually involved, and should be regarded as such (probably true even in the sort of granddaddy of all letter writing cases, Jack the Ripper). I had that thought Andy then, lol and behold, here’s this theory that suggests the one had nothing to do with the other.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #49
Zorzman
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88 View Post
Thanks to the clear picture on Amazon Prime, it's easier to read the first page of the letter shown on the screen from Roger's killer. There were just a couple words that were too hard to make out no matter how much I squinted. Here's what it said...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a very, very important letter. Read it carefully. Follow each instruction in this letter, and do not call the police. YOUR LIFE AND TAMMY’S DEPENDS ON HOW YOU CONDUCT YOURSELF.

DJ, on a cold snowy morning in November of 85, I had your husband murdered. At this point, you are probably frightened and hoping this is some kind of a joke. Well you should be frightened because this is NO JOKE. To prove to you who I am, I will present you some of the events that took place that morning.

1. You were in the tub when Roger and I went to get you.
2. I tied your hands and covered your eyes and laid you on your bed.
3. I took Roger into Tammy’s room, then I politely talked to you about your bank account.
4. Roger tried to escape while you and I were talking. I CAUGHT HIM!!!
5. As you stood at the top of the stairs, Roger refused to pay as the money ... he tried to struggle, I shot him 4-5 times to make sure he died.
6. I left my black bag which contained tape, rope, and a knife, some of your jewelry lost in the struggle. I took off my ski mask so Roger would know who killed him and why.
7. I DIDN’T KILL YOU! Even knowing you could be a witness if we were ever caught (but that will never happen.) By now, you should realize that I am one of the two persons who sees your Lonetree house with orders to KILL Roger if he didn’t pay his debt. You were right with 1 of us.

DJ, do you know that I have met your daughter Tammy on a few occasions? I have followed her to New York, Arizona and Costa Mesa. She is a very attractive blonde and a very good model. Do not make me KILL HER! If you go to the police or even mention this letter and what you are doing to Tammy, I will kill her. If you think the police or anyone else can stop me, ask ROGER! Now that Tammy is home with you, I can easily KILL HER when she leaves in the morning or goes out at night. But if you do what you are told, you and Tammy will be left alone. But if you do not do exactly what you are told, if you do anything, I mean anything to draw the police on the case, I will wait until they can no longer protect her and KILL HER! IF SHE LEAVES I CAN FIND HER. I know all the places she can go. Do not make your daughter live a life on the run and in hiding, hoping that she will not be killed that day! Do as I tell you, and Tammy need never know of this. If you do not, Tammy and you are DEAD!! If you don’t believe me, ask ROGER!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone could read the last sentence in #7, it was hard to make out what it said exactly. Maybe someone will have better luck? I got most of it except a couple words.
I think it was

(You were right there were 2 of us, not 1)

Which means Unsolved mysteries left out the fact that maybe there was a second intruder.
Zorzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #50
Dude111

The whole thing is mysterious............ If it really happend as UM says,something is def not right!!!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #51
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

This case has always been on my list of ones that I do think will be solved eventually.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #52
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Just finished listening to RobinW's episode about the Dean murder and it got me thinking about various aspects of the case.

-According to DJ, the killer kept asking her how much money they had in their savings account and she kept saying that she didn't know. She heard him start to rifle around some drawers in the bedroom before a noise made him leave the room and confront Roger. I think the noise was Roger getting loose from his bindings and getting ready to escape.

-After the killer left the room to confront Roger, they argued in the hallway where the killer kept asking how much money did they have and Roger finally said that he had $30,000 but not on him and the killer said that they were going to go to the bank. It really doesn't seem like this person knew the financial situation of the Dean family, and it doesn't seem like the kind of questions someone would ask ("how much is in your savings") if their motive was to extort money. IMO, it seems more like a robbery than a grand extortion attempt.

-The police thought it was odd that only one wrist of Roger's had twine fiber on it and wondered if he was ever even tied up at all. I think it's just as likely that the killer tied Roger's one hand to a heavy object in the room so he couldn't escape while he searched the master bedroom. The loud noise that startled the killer, IMO, was Roger getting loose from the heavy object and perhaps knocking it over in an attempt to escape.

-Roger's glasses being covered with duct tape while he was wearing contacts could be meaningless, IMO. His killer wouldn't know if he had contacts in, so I could see him taping the glasses in preparation for taking Roger out of the house to get the money.

-I no longer think that the killer and the extortionist are the same person. Whoever killed Roger didn't make any threatening statements about harming his family, knowing where his daughter lived, etc. they just kept asking about money and how much they had in their savings. The extortionist seemed to have knowledge about their family and where Roger's daughter had lived. They seem totally unrelated to me.

-The killer was seen waiting in his car earlier that morning. Roger opened his garage door and neighbors saw him drinking coffee shortly before 7. I know that police speculate that this was a signal from Roger to the killer and that they were working together, but it could just as easily have been that the killer was waiting for Roger to leave for work so he could enter the house with DJ being alone. When the killer saw Roger in the garage, he took advantage of it and confronted him. A full cop of coffee was found in the garage, meaning that the killer startled Roger shortly after opening the garage door.

I don't think the killer was someone totally unknown to Roger. I think it could have been someone who was an acquaintance, or someone who perceived Roger and DJ to keep large sums of money in their home. I also still can't wrap my head around why Roger would stage this elaborate scheme just to pocket $30,000. The money was already transferred to a "secret account" according to UM. So he already had it. What he intended to do with it, I have no idea. He could have been involved in something shady, but I'm not so sure that that is was caused his death. I still lean towards someone who knew (or thought) that the Dean's were wealthy and kept large sums of cash in their house trying to rob them. I think UM spent too much time covering the extortion attempts rather than focusing on the events leading up to Roger's murder. His affair wasn't even mentioned, outside of DJ saying that there were "personal issues" around the time of Roger's murder. I didn't even know that DJ knew about the affair until listening to The Trail Went Cold episode. That's another knock against the killer was trying to blackmail him to keep the affair a secret theory.

Last edited by TheCars1986; 06-13-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #53
RobinW

Quote:
I no longer think that the killer and the extortionist are the same person. Whoever killed Roger didn't make any threatening statements about harming his family, knowing where his daughter lived, etc. they just kept asking about money and how much they had in their savings. The extortionist seemed to have knowledge about their family and where Roger's daughter had lived. They seem totally unrelated to me.
Good analysis. I know the UM segment presented it as an absolute certainty that the killer and the extortionist were the same person and that's what the FBI initially believed, but it was interesting to find out that the Douglas County Sheriff's Office, who investigated the case from the very beginning, believe they were completely separate people.

If you freeze-frame the extortion letter when it's displayed onscreen in the UM segment, there's a line where the writer mentions removing his mask before shooting Roger, so that he would know who wanted to kill him. But of course, if Roger and the intruder were in on this together, that makes no sense. The way the events at the house unfolded do seem more like a robbery than a revenge scheme, so that line about the mask doesn't sound like something the actual perpetrator would have wrote.

Quote:
The killer was seen waiting in his car earlier that morning. Roger opened his garage door and neighbors saw him drinking coffee shortly before 7. I know that police speculate that this was a signal from Roger to the killer and that they were working together, but it could just as easily have been that the killer was waiting for Roger to leave for work so he could enter the house with DJ being alone. When the killer saw Roger in the garage, he took advantage of it and confronted him. A full cop of coffee was found in the garage, meaning that the killer startled Roger shortly after opening the garage door.
Yeah, even though it seems like a minor detail, the cup of coffee is one of the main things which made me think Roger didn't orchestrate the whole scheme. Why would he prepare coffee for himself if he knew someone was about to enter his house and stage a robbery? While I do think it's possible Roger arranged a meeting with the masked man in his garage for other reasons, such as blackmail, I don't know why he would do so while D.J. was still in the house.

I still believe that the gunman attempted to fire off a warning shot at Roger when he attempted to flee, but did not expect the bullet to ricochet off the banister and strike Roger in the arm. Since Roger was not going to be able to withdraw any money from the bank with a gunshot wound, the intruder decided to finish him off and kill him.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #54
dynoguy88

The killer taking the ski mask off never made sense to me. It would be one thing if this all went down at 2:00 in the morning. But not on a weekday when children are leaving for school and neighbors are leaving for work.

And wouldn't Roger have known by that point who was holding him at gunpoint? There was probably no need for a "big reveal."
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #55
RobinW

Quote:
The killer taking the ski mask off never made sense to me. It would be one thing if this all went down at 2:00 in the morning. But not on a weekday when children are leaving for school and neighbors are leaving for work.

And wouldn't Roger have known by that point who was holding him at gunpoint? There was probably no need for a "big reveal."
Yeah, I'm inclined to think that the mask came off accidentally during a struggle and the only reason the killer left it behind was because he had to follow Roger outside the house when he shot him and decided to immediately flee the scene without retrieving it.

Even though no one would have been thinking about this back in 1985, DNA was eventually obtained from the mask and could be used to convict the perpetrator if they ever make a match.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #56
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
Yeah, even though it seems like a minor detail, the cup of coffee is one of the main things which made me think Roger didn't orchestrate the whole scheme. Why would he prepare coffee for himself if he knew someone was about to enter his house and stage a robbery? While I do think it's possible Roger arranged a meeting with the masked man in his garage for other reasons, such as blackmail, I don't know why he would do so while D.J. was still in the house.
Also keep in mind how cold it was that morning. According to historical weather online, the max temperature in Littleton, CO on November 21, 1985 was 26 degrees. And the letter writer said it was a snowy day. (It was actually nothing weather wise like the reenactment which was apparently shot on a beautiful summer day.)

The coffee had to be to keep warm. There would really be no reason to open your garage just to stand around in the freezing cold unless that really was a signal for a meeting to take place.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #57
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
The coffee had to be to keep warm. There would really be no reason to open your garage just to stand around in the freezing cold unless that really was a signal for a meeting to take place.
Unless he went out to the garage to warm up his car, opened the garage door, and was then intercepted by the killer. If this was some sort of signal, why did Roger go out of his way to be seen by neighbors? Why not agree on a prearranged time and leave the front door unlocked? I guess I suppose it's possible that Roger actually did intend to have someone he knew come over in the morning, but nothing nefarious was planned, and that this person simply took advantage of the situation and planned on robbing them. The only problem with this theory is that Roger would be able to identify him (if you believe that the killer didn't intend on killing Roger).