Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates
Netflix Gets Funny with Pranks with Stranger Things Star; Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba Series Gets 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 17, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show
TBS Celebrates Seinfeld's 30th Anniversary; Netflix Renews Russian Doll for Season 2

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #31
The Third Man
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDante
I remember the segment noting that Jeremy and his friend Johnny Fish were last seen walking around the fair before Jeremy disappeared but what time was this? - Was it during the day or in the evening.
The segment depicted the party as being at night, and the "swimming hole" scenario as during the day. Of course those reconstructions might not be 100% accurate...
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:48 PM   #32
wiseguy182

The Third Man: wow, you just blew my mind! I had never thought of the stepfather angle until you said something. But now that you mention it, that is very possible. It DOES seem weird that Jeremy would leave his digital watch and wallet behind. Carnivals are quite expensive (at least the concessions are) so it does seem weird that Jeremy wouldnt' have taken his wallet.

And it is possible that all of the rumors regarding Jeremy's disappearance being attibuted to the teenage toughs killing him one way or another could be just that: rumors. There have been many cases where people come forward with "evidence" that turns out to be phony and the people that supplied it just wanted to feel important.

That also might explain why Jeremy's body has never been found.

However, I'm wondering why Jeremy's mother seems convinced that it's the neighborhood toughs and not Jeremy's stepdad.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:22 PM   #33
DarkDante

I want to know what the heck Johnny Fish was so overwrought and terrified about when he turned up at his sister's apartment after Jeremy went missing. We never did find this out in the segment - its just sorta left there out in the open for what reason I don't know.

The problem I have with the stepfather being involved is from what we know about this case, it seems that Jeremy had a good enough relationship with his stepfather and grandmother to stay with them during the fair. If Jeremy had a bad relationship with that side of his family I doubt his mother would allow him to stay with them. Therefore what could be a possible motive in them killing him? - It just sounds too far fetched based on the evidence we have. Instead of going from Point A - Point B - We'd have to go from Point A - Point B - Point C - Point D and we simply don't have that information at our fingertips at the moment to determine any anomosity between Jeremy Bright and his stepfather.

That being said, I don't think the incident at the swimming hole was the way it went down. I think Jeremy Bright possibly overdosed on some type of drug and the people who were with him on that night got rid of his body somewhere.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:51 PM   #34
wiseguy182

Quote:
I want to know what the heck Johnny Fish was so overwrought and terrified about when he turned up at his sister's apartment after Jeremy went missing. We never did find this out in the segment - its just sorta left there out in the open for what reason I don't know.

The problem I have with the stepfather being involved is from what we know about this case, it seems that Jeremy had a good enough relationship with his stepfather and grandmother to stay with them during the fair. If Jeremy had a bad relationship with that side of his family I doubt his mother would allow him to stay with them. Therefore what could be a possible motive in them killing him? - It just sounds too far fetched based on the evidence we have. Instead of going from Point A - Point B - We'd have to go from Point A - Point B - Point C - Point D and we simply don't have that information at our fingertips at the moment to determine any anomosity between Jeremy Bright and his stepfather.

That being said, I don't think the incident at the swimming hole was the way it went down. I think Jeremy Bright possibly overdosed on some type of drug and the people who were with him on that night got rid of his body somewhere.
Some good observations there. However, maybe that was how the stepfather had it planned all along. If he does something to estrange himself from Jeremy and his mother, then he would have been an immediate suspect. If he gets along with them real well, he's more likely to be able to deflect a good deal of the focus off of him and on to other possibilities: like the toughs theory.

I too wonder why the Johnny Fish seizure incident wasn't gone over in more deatil.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #35
The Third Man
Frequent Poster

Lexis-Nexis didn't pull up much on Jeremy Bright, but here's the name of the "neighborhood thug" who kept popping up in the stories, and who was arrested for an unrelated murder.

The Oregonian January 20, 1989

Friday, January 20, 1989 PROGRAM STIRS CALLS ON CASES

TEXT:

A pair of segments aired on the television show ``Unsolved Mysteries'' Wednesday have produced a flood of calls and some possible leads into the disappearance of an Oregon youth and the disappearance of a fishing boat off the Oregon coast in 1986.

``Unsolved Mysteries'' filmed four segments in Oregon last summer involving cases in Medford, Myrtle Point and Port Orford. One case, involving former Medford resident and alleged embezzler Steven Cox, was solved after the segment on his case aired in December. He was arrested a short time later in Nevada as a result of a tip from someone who had seen the show.

Wednesday night, the show aired a segment on the disappearance of Jeremy Bright of Myrtle Point, who was last seen at the Coos County Fair Aug. 14, 1986. Also aired Wednesday was the case of the missing fishing vessel Liebling, which reportedly sank off the south coast of Oregon with five crew members on board Aug. 27, 1986.

David Rajter, a teleconference administrator for the show, said the ``Unsolved Mysteries'' toll-free line received about 40 calls on both cases Wednesday night and some additional calls Thursday morning.

``Some look promising but we won't know until we begin to follow up with the police,'' Rajter said.

Coos County Sheriff's Lt. Bob Green said his office also received a number of calls on Jeremy Bright, who was 14 when he disappeared from the county fair in Coquille in 1986.

``We received several calls both last night and this morning,'' Green said. ``Two or three look promising so we're going to follow up on those.''

Bright was separated from his sister at the Coos County Fair and was last seen in Myrtle Point the evening of Aug. 14. No trace of the boy has ever been found, but local rumors, protrayed in the show, say Bright may have been murdered or killed accidentally and then buried.

A suspect in the case emerged a few days before Wednesday's show aired. Terry Lee Steinhoff of Myrtle Point, who was sentenced Tuesday to a minimum of 10 years for the stabbing death of Patricia Morris, was a former baby-sitter for Bright and allegedly was at a party rumored to be the last place Bright was seen alive.

Green confirmed that Steinhoff had been interviewed in connection with Bright's disappearance and that his name continues to surface in the investigation, but there are no hard facts or evidence linking him to the case.

The Liebling case involves the disappearance of ``Red'' Dixon, his three sons and another deckhand off the Oregon coast Aug. 27, 1986.

Dixon was reportedly taking his boys, ages 6, 14 and 18, on a fishing trip when the boat allegedly sank in calm seas off Port Orford. Also on board was deckhand Mike Georgen. Dixon was supposed to return the boys to their home in Crescent City, Calif., where they lived with his former wife, Pamela Straight.

The boat sank in an area where other boats were operating but no trace, no debris and no diesel spill ever was sighted. The vessel never has been located.

One theory, mentioned in the show, suggested that Dixon took the boat and his boys to South America, where they may be living today. Family and friends of Georgen say he would not have gone along with a plan to take the boys from her mother.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:12 PM   #36
hostedbyrobertstack
Forum Regular

^^^ I never knew that the "suspect" mentioned in all the scenarios of jeremy bright was actually his former babysitter?? what...that changes that story a lot in my mind. The person actually knew him personally and closely, strange. Also, that tip of his body being buried in the woods seemed reliable, but they never found anything. Although, with many UM cases, it seems that police search certain areas and find nothing, then later on there is an update saying they found the remains in the same area they had previously looked. So who knows.
hostedbyrobertstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #37
wiseguy182

Good investigative work there, Third Man.

The article mentions Jeremy being separated from his sister. Oddly enough, the UM segment doesn't even mention a sister. They make it sound like he headed off with Johnny Fish and was never seen again.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #38
DarkDante

I think the segment in fact does make mention that Jeremy had a sister at least once by name. Something like "the week of the fair Jeremy and his younger sister were staying at their stepdad's Ollie's house" - In addition Diane mentioned that on arriving at Myrtle Point she went directly to Ollies' "the kids and stepdad's house" *shrug* - minor nitpick.

Very interesting stuff Third Man, it also leads me more to believe that Bright certainly vanished due to this individual because we can now draw a connection between one of the last people to see Bright alive and someone he knew from his past.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:56 AM   #39
DarkDante

I thought it might be helpful to create a timeline of events regarding the disappearance of Jeremy Bright, because there are a number of dates and times thrown at the viewer during the segment and they all aren't in order so here goes:

The events surrounding the disappearance of Jeremy Bright run from Thursday August 14, 1986 - Sunday August 17, 1986:

Date: Thursday - August 14, 1986
Time: 4:45 PM
Event: Jeremy Bright places a phone call to his mother Diane, telling her that he is enjoying the fair and confirms a pick up time of Saturday August 16.

Date: Thursday - August, 14 1986
Time: 9:40 PM
Event: Jeremy makes contact with his stepfather and grandmother and borrows money from his stepfather. This is the last time Jeremy Bright is seen by his family.

TIME GAP: There is no information as far as tracking Jeremy Bright's movements after he left the Tavern. His whereabouts from Thursday evening post 9:40-Friday morning are still unknown. We can assume perhaps that Jeremy spent the night at his stepdad's house due to the reference that the next morning his stepdad left for work early and did not see Jeremy leave for the fair. However if we eliminate this assumption it is very possible that something could've happened to Jeremy on Thursday night. However the next day...

Date: Friday - August 15, 1986
Time: Unknown but we can assume it was during the day, possibly the afternoon hours
Event: Jeremy Bright and his friend Johnny Fish are sighted enjoying the festivities.

TIME GAP: Another gap in time occurs here in which we cannot track Jeremy's movements. This is the MOST LIKELY time that Jeremy disappeared and unfortunatley a large block of time from anytime in the afternoon on Friday until at least the pre dawn hours of Saturday August 16th can't be accounted for. Did Jeremy Bright somehow get seperated from Johnny Fish? Or was Johnny Fish present when something happened to Jeremy that caused his disappearance?

Date: Saturday - August 16, 1986
Time: 12:00-1:00 AM
Event: Cecilia Fish (Johnny's sister) and a friend encounter someone described as "neighborhood guy" drenched in blood. When they question him about the cause of all the blood, he is evasive.

Time: 1:30 AM
Event: Johnny Fish arrives at the same apartment complex where another one of his sisters lives. He is overwrought with fear but does not want to explain.

Date: Saturday - August, 16 1986
Time: We can assume mid-day is likely
Event: Diane Bright arrives to pick up her son. She notices that in the stepfather's house are Jeremy's wallet, keys and a new watch. Jeremy however never shows up.

Time: evening
Event: Diane contacts the police to report her son missing.

Date: Sunday - August, 17 1986
Time: throughout the day
Event: Coos County Fair shuts down

-----

My conclusion based on this timeline is something happened to Jeremy Bright (probably resulting in his death by what means I'm not sure) on Friday August 15, 1986 probably late in the evening. I believe that Johnny Fish was present at the time of Jeremy's disappearance/death and perhaps contains knowledge as to what in fact happened to him.

Some of you have brought up the possibility that the stepfather might have been responsible for Jeremy's death. While this is possible, this scenerio could only be put into play during the two "time gaps" as indicated above. If we can take the word of Johnny Fish that Jeremy was indeed still alive at least on the morning and throughout the day on Friday August 15th, then that eliminates one of the time gaps.

The key to solving this case lies in identifying where Jeremy was after the sightings at the fair on Friday. Did he strike out on his own away from his friends? - If so where did he go? - A party? The swimming hole? Back home? - It is very possible that Jeremy Bright in my opinion did make at least one stop back at his stepdad's home before he vanished to drop off his wallet and watch. Perhaps Jeremy had taken those items with him to the fair on Friday morning and returned sometime later in the day dropping them off before heading off to another destination.

Wherever Bright went or was after the sighting at the fair during the day on Friday likely resulted in his disappearance. But where did he go?

Last edited by DarkDante; 03-23-2007 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:16 AM   #40
Thinman
Frequent Poster

The watch and wallet being left in his room adds credence to the swimming hole theory. It is very plausible to leave those two items behind when engaging in an activity where one gets wet.
Thinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #41
hostedbyrobertstack
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinman
The watch and wallet being left in his room adds credence to the swimming hole theory. It is very plausible to leave those two items behind when engaging in an activity where one gets wet.
I was just watching this segment again, and I was just going to post this same exact thing, ha. Because I carry my wallet EVERYWHERE with me, and I usually wear watches, but I know that when I have gone swimming, I take out my wallet(the only time) and off my watch and take out my keys, I usually put them all next to eachother somewhere(on top of a tv for example). Plus, the "jail" informant seemed to know something, I think his body is probably buried in those woods, I don't know how they could have searched 200 feet around the cabin all over.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #42
wiseguy182

Quote:
I think the segment in fact does make mention that Jeremy had a sister at least once by name. Something like "the week of the fair Jeremy and his younger sister were staying at their stepdad's Ollie's house" - In addition Diane mentioned that on arriving at Myrtle Point she went directly to Ollies' "the kids and stepdad's house" *shrug* - minor nitpick.
whoops, am I bad? I must have thought the sister wasn't mentioned because we didn't see her. sorry about that.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #43
hostedbyrobertstack
Forum Regular

sorry to bring up an older topic, but i was watching this segment this morning and it still seems very odd that this case has never been solved after all of this time. I wonder if anyone involved in this case (cecilia or johnny fish) have ever looked up jeremy bright and come to this post. It would be interesting to get in contact with someone involved with the case. I wish i could just go out there and do my own investigation, ha.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #44
boco357
Not Muhammad Ali
Frequent Poster

I found a site where Jeremy's sister posted and said the main suspect had died in prison.

http://www.squidoo.com/pollyklaas/am...ldjeremybright

www.fatty357.com
boco357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:28 AM   #45
Allierain
17-year lurker
Forum Regular

You know, I've often wondered why a 14 year-old boy was out unsupervised like Jeremy was. Maybe I am being silly, and perhaps it was perfectly natural for a boy of his age to be off doing things on his own for days at a time. But it just doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps it's because I wasn't allowed to be off by myself like that when I was that age.

Is there anyone else here who was?
Allierain is offline   Reply With Quote