Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #196
UMlover
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I too find it fascinating, and I agree UM was complicit in fueling the fire (and brimstone). Then again, so were several police agencies at the time!

I read Jeffrey Victor's Satanic Panic in a single sitting one afternoon at the library several years ago. I was in a college sociology class at the time and we were studying urban legends--in particular, those dealing with product tampering such as razor blades in Halloween candy. Invariably, "satanic cults" came up and it piqued my interest. I remember a couple of my classmates being really closed off to the idea that there isn't much evidence to suggest they exist, let alone commit acts of ritualistic murder and rape. And this was 2004.
Very cool...I've never taken a sociology course but I would imagine moral panics are among the more mystifying and answer-less subjects to discuss.

The Jeremy Bright case I find particularly heartbreaking...the cases of missing/murdered teenagers in particular always got to me.
UMlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:51 AM   #197
dynoguy88

I was very surprised to see Jeremy's picture on the front page of yahoo news today. For a second, I wondered if there was huge break in the case. But it's basically just a recap on the site 'life daily' of the case. We passed the 30th anniversary of his disappearance last August.

It's in that annoying slide format that many sites use now and it doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know, but there's some pictures of Jeremy and the area that I don't think have been posted before...

http://www.lifedaily.com/story/30-ye...regonSophomore
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #198
DarkDante

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
I was very surprised to see Jeremy's picture on the front page of yahoo news today. For a second, I wondered if there was huge break in the case. But it's basically just a recap on the site 'life daily' of the case. We passed the 30th anniversary of his disappearance last August.

It's in that annoying slide format that many sites use now and it doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know, but there's some pictures of Jeremy and the area that I don't think have been posted before...

http://www.lifedaily.com/story/30-ye...regonSophomore
There was a bit of an update on the case last November by a local Oregon news affiliate including a new interview with Jeremy's sister and the lead investigator that is working the case. This may have been brought up before but here are some highlights from the piece:

- They shot some footage for the piece at the Coos County Fairgrounds back last summer and surprisingly it doesn't look to have changed all that much as I remember that pitched grandstand from the UM segment. They also did an on location shoot at an area that seems to be the same location where UM filmed the "swimming hole" footage, although it's completely overrun by filth now.

- They also showed some vintage footage from 1986 that I had never seen before and mentioned as has been discussed on the forums that initially police didn't pay much attention to young Jeremy's disappearance because they thought he had run away with the fair.

- The sheriff mentioned that the search for Jeremy has actually spanned several states and they showed how there is an entire file case devoted to the case in their office. He noted that the case is still being worked on by the department. In addition he mentioned that there have been a number of dead ends in the case and told some stories that lead me to believe that at one point the investigation focused heavily on traveling amusement park troupes as they mentioned staking out this particular troupe I believe in Florida years ago because they believed that Jeremy Bright might have been traveling with the troupe. This turned out to be a dead end and like many was the result of a lookalike being identified as Jeremy.

- Anyhow the most interesting part of the broadcast was when the reporter and the lead investigator/sheriff on the case did a bit of a "fishing expedition" where she asked him vague questions in order to allow him to make vague responses without compromising his investigation. Basically the sheriff said that he has credible information on Jeremy Bright's disappearance, but never has had enough to build a case.

- The sheriff mentioned that Jeremy Bright probably never made it back to the fair after he left his grandmother's pub, which I found interesting. Jeremy's sister seemed to back up this theory in that I believe she mentioned that she didn't see him at the fairgrounds the day he vanished.

- Strangely nothing was brought up regarding the overdose theory that UM brought up where Jeremy might have been offered a beer laced with an illegal substance that could've resulted in his death. Perhaps this particular theory has been long since debunked? Anyhow it was not part of the news broadcast.

- In regards to the swimming hole, the sheriff noted that there had been multiple occasions in which divers had been down in the hole looking for remains but none have ever been located. Caves, mining shafts and other natural locations where you could hide a body have been excavated. It's also worth noting that at the time Jeremy Bright vanished, the local area was a logging community which meant that there was a great deal of brush and undeveloped locations which would have lent a lot of different possible locales for someone to hide a body.

- The sheriff brought up the rumors about Jeremy being taken to a cabin at some point, but he basically said that the cabins in the surrounding area are so numerous that it was impossible to pinpoint the one that Jeremy was allegedly taken to. Terry Steinhoff was brought up briefly and it was mentioned that he had passed on but was never any help to investigators while he was alive either.

- Some of the sheriff's comments lead me to believe that there may still be alternate means of finding out what happened to Jeremy Bright even without Steinhoff's help (perhaps accomplices or other witnesses)?

- Probably the most interesting question was when the reporter asked was whether or not the sheriff believed that the people responsible for the fate of Jeremy Bright are still in Coos County and he replied in the affirmative which again to me at least is highly interesting.

Last edited by DarkDante; 02-24-2017 at 08:49 AM.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:33 PM   #199
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Thanks for the update, DarkDante. Interesting that this is still so active after all the years. Weird to think the killers may have been there all along.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:20 AM   #200
DazzlerSparkler
Sharon Kinne Imposter
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to DazzlerSparkler

Wut happened to yew?....
Old 03-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #201
PerhapsIt'sYou
Occasional Poster

So...Jonny fish nor the stepdad were ever suspects?
PerhapsIt'sYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #202
charmedsignora
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerhapsIt'sYou
So...Jonny fish nor the stepdad were ever suspects?
It seemed to me that Johnny Fish either A) witnessed the entire thing, or B) heard about what happened from a trusted source, which is why he was freaking out so badly the night that Jeremy vanished.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #203
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Watching this segment again in light of DarkDante's most recent post is quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDante

- In regards to the swimming hole, the sheriff noted that there had been multiple occasions in which divers had been down in the hole looking for remains but none have ever been located. Caves, mining shafts and other natural locations where you could hide a body have been excavated. It's also worth noting that at the time Jeremy Bright vanished, the local area was a logging community which meant that there was a great deal of brush and undeveloped locations which would have lent a lot of different possible locales for someone to hide a body.

- The sheriff brought up the rumors about Jeremy being taken to a cabin at some point, but he basically said that the cabins in the surrounding area are so numerous that it was impossible to pinpoint the one that Jeremy was allegedly taken to. Terry Steinhoff was brought up briefly and it was mentioned that he had passed on but was never any help to investigators while he was alive either.

- Some of the sheriff's comments lead me to believe that there may still be alternate means of finding out what happened to Jeremy Bright even without Steinhoff's help (perhaps accomplices or other witnesses)?

- Probably the most interesting question was when the reporter asked was whether or not the sheriff believed that the people responsible for the fate of Jeremy Bright are still in Coos County and he replied in the affirmative which again to me at least is highly interesting.

Starting with the last point there, I'd assume that the sheriff's suspicion centers around David Steinhoff, Hoyt Richardson (both mentioned within the last page or two) and/or someone else who is still alive.

Occam's Razor would have Jeremy dying as the result of the recklessness on the part of these individuals and then his body being buried somewhere in the wilderness. I also think the reason why these dots can't be connected and names can't be named, is that some of the other people involved (the ones who could corroborate things) are now dead and without Jeremy's remains (or a confession.....), there's pretty much no way to prove anything.
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #204
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

The official UM account on Twitter recently posted this article from the local paper -

"Following Leads on the Cold Case of Jeremy Bright"

https://theworldlink.com/news/local/...a17355039.html
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:51 PM   #205
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
“When we were in retirement, we tried to run those rumors to ground and could trace them to the original source, which were from the same few people,” Zanni said.

Those people were eventually arrested for other crimes a decade ago. Zanni approached them when they were first brought into custody with a letter from the Coos County District Attorney offering them the chance to walk away from a 10-year prison sentence if they simply provided information on the Jeremy Bright cold case.

“If you are looking at going to prison for 10 years and that was your ticket to walk away and if they knew anything, they would have fessed up,” Zanni said. “Instead, they served their time and are out now.”

When he presented the letter to one of the individuals, he remembered the man telling him, “You think I wouldn’t take that letter? Why would I spend time in prison when all I have to say is here’s what really happened? But then I’d be lying and you’d find out.”
This makes it seem like the main suspects (the ones shown shooting at Jeremy in the re-enactment) were given a get out of jail free card for telling what happened to Jeremy, but I don't think this is necessarily true. The article says that they were booked for an unrelated charge, and I think that the letter was basically going to let them off of that charge, not necessarily clearing them of any charges with the connection to Jeremy's disappearance. If they were involved in his disappearance (and probable death), I could see them wanting to go to prison for 10 years rather than confess and lead them to what happened to Jeremy to risk spending life in prison.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #206
Necco

I was listening to Robin's podcast last night and I thought of something.

To me, the most likely fate of Jeremy was that the 3 boys/men who showed up in so many rumors killed him, likely with a motor vehicle. Bear with me as I explain myself.

2pm Jeremy and S'te part ways.
2-4:45 or so, Jeremy helps out at his aunt's restaurant
~4:45pm Jeremy calls his mom regarding pick up
unknown but probably here Jeremy asks his stepdad for money
5pm Jeremy fails to show up to meet S'te

So, whatever happened to Jeremy likely occurred where the asterisks are in the time line.

In that time period, Jeremy would have likely been walking back to the fairgrounds. Now, Myrtle Point is tiny, 1.62 miles according to wikipedia. Since the fair was going on, there was likely lots of people in town and in a place that size, it would be hard to hide.

Now, the main suspect guy (the one who ODed in prison) used to babysit Jeremy, so we know they knew each other. I know that when I was in that age range, my friends and I horsed around in crazy ways. I was once "kidnapped" by a group of boys at a school function because I got separated (ok, fine, I got caught trying to sneak out of the event and was told to get where i belonged) from the guy that was my "date" for the event. Actually bumrushed and tossed into the backseat of a car and covered with something.* I also had friends who did crazy things like cover someone's face, grab them and toss them into the bed of a truck and take off. I have many other anecdotes about teenage mayhem, but you get the point.

If the three people from the rumors were driving around town that day, as teens/young adults do, looking for something to do, I think it's entirely possibly that they spotted Jeremy, decided to do something stupid like "kidnap" him or drive at him like they were going to hit him. Maybe Jeremy got hit by the truck or got a head injury or the fear combined with the heart murmur killed him and they panicked.

I don't think, judging by what we know about Jeremy, that he would have missed his meet up with Esty. He seemed to be a good big brother and she was only 9. That's a big enough age difference that he likely would have felt responsible for her. If that's the case, the party and the swimming hole rumors are out. The spiked drink rumor sounds like a classic 80s teachable moment/morality urban legend. The swimming hole story seems implausible because there would have been too many witnesses, plus he would have been on his way to meet S'te.

Anyway, that's my current theory,

*my "kidnap" story sounds more dramatic than it really was, it was just high school hijinx

Last edited by Necco; 11-25-2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Spelled S'te's name wrong
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #207
5thcorps
Frequent Poster

I've always heard of the swimming hole possibly being a site where he was killed. If that's the case are there any witnesses that could say Jeremy picked up swimming shorts somewhere? A towel? Were any of his clothes missing asides from his usual outfit? Possibly swimming shorts or a towel missing? Also, has the swimming hole in question been positively identified to a specific place? If so, has anyone ever gone under water with a metal detector to search for bullets? These are questions I've never heard addressed before.

Last edited by 5thcorps; 01-03-2019 at 11:15 AM.
5thcorps is offline   Reply With Quote