Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #76
Tap Dancer
Forum Regular

Quote:
I had heard that the mothers of Nyleen and Tara Calico had died, but the death of Tammy Lynn Leppert's mother is news to me.
http://findcarrie.conforums.com/inde...num=1094843092

MOTHER DIES WITHOUT AN ANSWER TO MYSTERY OF MISSING DAUGHTER
by Billy Cox
Florida Today
Oct 5, 1995

Modeling Agent, Linda Curtis, died early Wednesday morning without resolving her greatest sorrow -- the fate of her daughter.

Curtis, 54, passed away at Florida Hospital in Orlando, following a blood infection she contracted over the weekend. She had been diagnosed as terminally ill months ago from kidney and liver failure.

"We kept her going through artificial means for as long as we could. Those were her wishes," said photographer Wing Flanagan, her longtime partner, "Her heart just gave out."

A Cocoa native, Curtis attained nationsl prominence in the 1980s for coaching so many girls to victory in beauty pageants. In 1983, however, her life turned upside down with the disappearance of her 18-year0old daughter, Tami Lynn Leppert.

Leppert, a model and aspiring actress, vanished without a trace from Cocoa Beach, where she was last seen near the Glass Bank. Curtis moved to Orlando shortly thereafter.

"Unsolved Mysteries" solicited leads nationwide in 1992, but repeated showings of the Leppert episode produced dead ends. Curtis made a final public appeal for help in Florida Today three weeks ago.

Funeral arrangements were not available Wednesday.
Tap Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:49 AM   #77
Gangreen
Frequent Poster

maybe it would be a good idea for someone to contact the girl on myspace?
Gangreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:26 AM   #78
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

I just saw this case, finally, for the first time. This poor family has been through so much, and my heart really goes out to them.

In viewing the segment, I think the girl was abducted, and likely killed shortly thereafter. Even without reading this entire thread (I've read part of it before, and skimmed much of it before posting), and without seeing the entirety of the letters written by this person, I feel fairly confident that whoever it was was a nutjob, not the perpetrator. If it was the perpetrator, I think the girl was long dead when the letters were written. The content of the letters sounded like someone who was living out/enacting a fantasy by imagining various things he did to the girl and the ways they interacted, but without providing much in the way of specific information, as other have said.

The other possibility is that she either 1) drowned or 2) wandered off and died of exposure, just like Michael Henley. Both possibilities seem strong to me, until one takes into account the eyewitness accounts. I normally don't invest much in eyewitness accounts, but I got the impression that the girls who claimed to see Nyleen with the man both knew Nyleen by name (i.e., had some personal relationship with her, however fleeting) and were not lying about seeing her with a man (why would they make that up, especially the weird "chase the shadow" bit). Unfortunately, they don't provide nearly enough information to solve the case (then again, I don't think most eyewitnesses do, even if they think they do), but I think they provide good information about what most likely happened to little Nyleen.

I originally thought, as the segment explained she was playing near a "shallow creek," that she had simply fallen in and had been washed far enough down streak that it was deep enough where she could ge tcaught on something and remain under the surface of the water. It's an easy thing to have happen. However, like I said, I regard the general statements that she was seen with a man playing this shadow game as very credible, precisely because they make no claim as to who the man was, what he looked like, etc., just that he existed and showed an interest in Nyleen. I'm reasonably certain whoever this was took her and killed her and sadly, after all this time, I doubt it will ever be solved. This guy looks to have gotten away with the perfect crime.

Remind me never to go camping in Montana.
mozartpc27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:27 AM   #79
microeconomia
Frequent Poster

In the websleuths webpage, there is a recent development concerning the theory that Nyleen could be one girl from MySpace(the girl's name at that site is Kay): On April 14th 2007, someone by the name of Mindy left her a comment and referred to her as "Nyleen" followed by (haha). Then on April 15th. Kay posted on Mindy's page: "From you secret friend Nyleen. LOL". The new "theory" is that the MySpace girl was contacted by LE or the NCFMEC and then told her acquaintances about it, and then they thought it was funny and/or weird that anyone would think that, so her friend Mindy (as a sort of joke), called her Nyleen. Here is the link:

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthr...t=11732&page=4
Old 05-12-2007, 08:03 AM   #80
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by microeconomia
In the websleuths webpage, there is a recent development concerning the theory that Nyleen could be one girl from MySpace(the girl's name at that site is Kay): On April 14th 2007, someone by the name of Mindy left her a comment and referred to her as "Nyleen" followed by (haha). Then on April 15th. Kay posted on Mindy's page: "From you secret friend Nyleen. LOL". The new "theory" is that the MySpace girl was contacted by LE or the NCFMEC and then told her acquaintances about it, and then they thought it was funny and/or weird that anyone would think that, so her friend Mindy (as a sort of joke), called her Nyleen. Here is the link:

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthr...t=11732&page=4

By reading that it sounds like one of the posters contacted the girl on myspace and LE did contact her but she isn't Nyleen.

I was going to ask you microeconomia since you're in Mexico if you could find anything out about Nyleen's mother who was murdered in Mexico. Well police ruled it a suicide but I believe she was beaten, raped and her hands were bound. She was in Mexico looking for a house as they were planning to move. Her name was Nancy Marshall. It was several years ago and I know its a longshot but I thought I'd ask.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #81
microeconomia
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn

I was going to ask you microeconomia since you're in Mexico if you could find anything out about Nyleen's mother who was murdered in Mexico. Well police ruled it a suicide but I believe she was beaten, raped and her hands were bound. She was in Mexico looking for a house as they were planning to move. Her name was Nancy Marshall. It was several years ago and I know its a longshot but I thought I'd ask.
Yes, I will try to find new information concerning Nancy Marshall's horrible murder, although the crime took place in 1996 (as far as I know), and I really don't know where in Mexico. For me it's unexplicable why some websites speak of Nancy as still alive and well, and in active search for her missing daughter, like the channel 3000 page, with a July 2002 date, several years after Nancy's murder.
microeconomia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #82
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartpc27
In viewing the segment, I think the girl was abducted, and likely killed shortly thereafter. Even without reading this entire thread (I've read part of it before, and skimmed much of it before posting), and without seeing the entirety of the letters written by this person, I feel fairly confident that whoever it was was a nutjob, not the perpetrator. If it was the perpetrator, I think the girl was long dead when the letters were written. The content of the letters sounded like someone who was living out/enacting a fantasy by imagining various things he did to the girl and the ways they interacted, but without providing much in the way of specific information, as other have said.
I don't think we can or should dismiss the letter this easily. In cases such as this I would imagine there are all sorts of false/erroneous leads. The fact that UM and the police were backing this letter and presenting it to the public makes me think that there must have been some information in it that led them to believe it was authentic. We were only shown excerpts of the letter on UM but I'm sure there was a lot more to it that we didn't see. Also, there were sightings of Nyleen in a few of the places the author mentioned in the letter. I know eyewitness sightings aren't reliable and this has been debated on here in the past, but if we are assuming that Nyleen is dead, then these sightings would have to all be mistaken and it would have to be a coincidence that they happened to correspond to points mentioned in the letter. Another thing: the letter was received two years after Nyleen's disappearance. The internet wasn't prevalent then. I find it hard to believe that some crackpot would hear about the case in 1983 and then decide to write to the authorities about it two years after the fact. Again, just playing devil's advocate...
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #83
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by microeconomia
For me it's unexplicable why some websites speak of Nancy as still alive and well, and in active search for her missing daughter, like the channel 3000 page, with a July 2002 date, several years after Nancy's murder.
Well I wonder if the Marshall's had possibly moved out of the area and the media had lost track of them. Plus the fact that Nancy was killed outside the U.S. makes me wonder if maybe these news organizations don't even know she's deceased. Surely that would be newsworthy to them, a missing persons case with an unbelievably tragic update, and there would be some articles out there concerning it but as far as I know there are none.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:15 AM   #84
wiseguy182

I could be wrong, but I think I've read on this forum that one of the most credible sightings came from the Madison, Wisconsin area, which is where the letter(s) were mailed from.

While I do believe the letters are probably authentic, I don't believe everything the letter writer says. For example, he talks about traveling with her all over the world. I doubt an abductor would risk being seen with the abductee by so many people in so many areas. Too risky that someone somewhere would pick up on it. He would also run the risk of Nyleen doing something like Antoinette Cayedito did by dropping a letter. Granted Nyleen was younger and I don't think she was old enough to write when she was abducted, but she could blurt out in public what was going on, and if the adbucter takes her and runs, then people in the area would know something was up.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #85
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I could be wrong, but I think I've read on this forum that one of the most credible sightings came from the Madison, Wisconsin area, which is where the letter(s) were mailed from.

While I do believe the letters are probably authentic, I don't believe everything the letter writer says. For example, he talks about traveling with her all over the world. I doubt an abductor would risk being seen with the abductee by so many people in so many areas. Too risky that someone somewhere would pick up on it. He would also run the risk of Nyleen doing something like Antoinette Cayedito did by dropping a letter. Granted Nyleen was younger and I don't think she was old enough to write when she was abducted, but she could blurt out in public what was going on, and if the adbucter takes her and runs, then people in the area would know something was up.
Though I am very skeptical of the letter writer, I would think one's chances of not getting caught would be better if you stayed on the move. What are the chances that, given one fleeting glance, anyone is going to conect one cute little girl with a missing little girl from Montana? Especially in, say, Europe?

And then, after not too much time has passed, it will be easy for her to go unrecognized by total strangers, because she will no longer look anything like pictures taken of her by her family, because she is growing. That's an advantage all child abductors have who intend on keeping the kids they take alive indefinitely --- the younger the kid, the more quickly they grow to look so different from the time when they were taken that it would become impossible for average people having seen a face on a poster once to recognize them. I would think even family members would have trouble recongizing a child they last saw at a very young age who grew.

That said, I still think Nyleen has, sadly, been dead since the day she disappeared.
mozartpc27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:31 PM   #86
justins5256

I thought this was kind of sad, but I'm sure some posters here will eat this up and take it as gospel. There is a man who is claiming that the abduction of Nyleen Kay Marshall was a government conspiracy.

Journey Toward Trouble / Capitol suspect: average child, anguished adult
Newsday (Melville, NY)
July 31, 1998
Author: Stephanie Saul. STAFF CORRESPONDENT
Estimated printed pages: 8

Valmeyer, Ill. - On the small Weston homestead here in the Mississippi River bottom, surrounded by acres of corn and soybeans, accused Capitol gunman Rusty Weston felt safer than anywhere else, enveloped in the warmth of his extended family.
The 41-year-old bachelor had retreated here for most of the past two years, following his release from a Montana psychiatric hospital. Once, in May, Weston tried to return to the austere Montana miner's cabin where he'd lived alone for years, but the mountain shack frightened him.

Land mines had been planted on his property, he imagined. He wrote the federal government to complain, according to an FBI affidavit released last week. Then, fearful of the perceived danger, he packed up and came back to the green shingle house in Illinois, home to Mom, Dad, and Grandma, who lives next door. It was June 15.

"I think he was afraid to go back to Montana," said his sister, April Callahan, recalling the weeks before Weston allegedly shattered the security of the U.S. Capitol, murdering two policemen.

In the week since Capitol Police officers Jacob Chestnut and John Gibson were killed, two pictures have emerged of the alleged gunman. First, the well-disciplined, but average and overweight child of working-class parents who grew up in this rural community. Later, the troubled bachelor who couldn't hold a job, who lived reclusively in a Montana cabin with no plumbing, who imagined life-threatening dangers lurking in innocuous places - from his parents' cable television system to the light on a distant porch.

For those who knew Rusty Weston as a child, Rusty Weston, the man, seems unfathomable.

"To most of the people around here this just seems impossible," said Robert Heavner, Weston's former agriculture teacher, who also drove the boy's school bus for 10 years. Like many others he remembers Rusty Weston as a quiet and well-disciplined boy, never a trouble-maker.

Born Dec. 28, 1956, Russell Eugene Weston Jr. was the second of two children of Russell Eugene Weston and his wife, Arbah Jo Weston. The Westons lived modestly on a couple of acres carved out of the farmland, on a two-lane road. The setting is so rural it is hard to imagine that St. Louis is only 30 minutes north.

The elder Weston worked as a dispatcher at an A&P warehouse in nearby Sauget. The Westons were known as nice country people who regularly went to church.

His parents remember Rusty as a loving, quiet and sensitive child.

"I remember when Jack Kennedy was shot," Russell Weston reminisced this week. "Rusty was watching the television and crying. His sister made fun because he was crying, and he said he was crying because John-John and his sister didn't have a daddy any more."

Rusty also had a particular talent. If something was broken, he could fix it, his parents said, recalling an incident when a relative handed him a broken watch. Minutes later the 5-year-old Rusty returned it, repaired.

When he started school, he was sent into Valmeyer, the town of about 1,000 people 10 miles away from his rural home. His class contained only 60 pupils, but even in that small universe, Rusty Weston did little to distinguish himself. Many of his classmates struggled this week to remember anything about him.

Neither a musician nor an athlete, Weston participated in few extracurricular activities, joining Boy Scouts and Future Farmers of America. For one year he was on the staff of the school newspaper, The Booster.

Jim Early, the head of his Boy Scout troop, remembers little about Weston except that he was not one of the troublemakers. But one thing everyone recalls was his size. Throughout his youth Weston was short and severely overweight.

"The fact is, I was his school bus driver from 1965 to 1974," said Heavner, who taught Weston agriculture and directed the local chapter of Future Farmers of America, one of the few organizations Weston joined. "I had him in class during four years of high school. He was a very average person. He was never a discipline problem. He was never an outstanding student. He was a C student, maybe a B minus student. He didn't have any enemies. He didn't have many close friends."

For his FFA project Weston planted a small garden in his parents' yard, Heavner said.

As his years at Valmeyer High School drew to a close, Weston was wearing his sandy hair long and his clothes baggy, the style of the '60s adopted a few years late in out-of-the-way Valmeyer.

Classmate Gary Baum remembered Weston as associating with what was known as the "drug crowd," a group that experimented with marijuana. Baum also described Weston as withdrawn, a behavior that psychiatrists say is sometimes a symptom of schizophrenia. In Weston's high school yearbook, still stowed on a bookshelf in his room here, there is a clue that his fantasies had already begun by the time he was graduated. In an inscription one classmate noted Weston's ability to tell "tall tales."

But it wasn't until a little later, after high school, that his parents noticed Rusty's tendency toward grandiose delusions. "He said his IQ was so high that they couldn't even measure it," the elder Weston remembered. "He said he was supposed to be the valedictorian of his class, but he gave it to another guy who wanted it because his father had been valedictorian. I said, 'Rusty, I looked at your report cards, and that's just not true.' "

His parents, unaware of the symptoms of mental illness, dismissed the odd behavior. And in many other ways Weston seemed normal. Many adolescents of his generation were heading west to try communal living. Shortly after graduating from high school, Weston, too, left one rural landscape for another, trading the flat Mississippi River bottom land where he grew up for the mountainous terrain of Montana.

With a group of friends including his sister Weston moved to Clancy, Mont., about 10 miles south of Helena, eking out a living mining gold dust and working occasional odd jobs. They lived off the land, once eating a rattlesnake to survive. The 5-foot-6 Weston, who had weighed 250 pounds in high school, became gaunt. The group soon broke up, according to Weston's classmate Miguel Engbring, partly because of Rusty's odd behavior.

If friends found Weston difficult, so did employers. He had a hard time holding a job, according to his father, who said, "Rusty doesn't take instruction too well."

By the time Jefferson County Undersheriff Tim Campbell encountered Weston, he was living in an old cabin owned by 86-year-old Dorothy Cole. Weston paid no rent, but did odd jobs for Cole in exchange for living in the cabin, Campbell said. Following some disagreement, Cole decided to evict Weston from her cabin. Weston later claimed that Cole hit him over the head with her cane.

"He called in a complaint to the sheriff's office that the old lady had hit him with one of her canes," said Campbell, who went out to the cabin on Warm Springs Creek Road to investigate. "He had no visible marks or bruises, but he got very upset with me because I wouldn't arrest the old lady."

Dissatisfied with the results of his complaint against Cole, Weston began a letter-writing campaign to force the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office to arrest Cole. In addition to the governor's office, he began writing letters to the Helena Independent Record. He also sued Cole in 1986, but the case was eventually dismissed, a decision upheld by the Montana Supreme Court.

Once, when Campbell ran into Weston at a community meeting, he tried to engage Campbell in an argument over the case. "Eventually I walked away from him. He told me I should be watching my back . . . I just had enough contact with him to know that I didn't want to be around him unless I had somebody else with me," Campbell said.

Later, according to Campbell, Weston went on a radio talk show in Helena and accused the undersheriff of involvement in a highly-publicized case. Campbell, Weston claimed, had been responsible for the disappearance of a young child named Nyleen Marshall, an abduction that Weston claimed was part of a bizarre government conspiracy.

Campbell had investigated the child's disappearance from a family outing in 1983, a case that has never been solved. It's unclear whether the girl walked into the woods and perished or was abducted, Campbell said.

Visiting his parents back home in 1986, Weston decided to apply for disability for injuries he claimed to have sustained when Cole hit him with her cane. Instead, he was referred to a St. Louis psychiatrist, who diagnosed paranoid schizophrenia, according to his family. Weston was awarded Social Security Disability, or SSI.

He began spending winters in Valmeyer, returning to Montana in the summers, moving to a cabin his sister owned in Rimini, an old ghost town 17 miles south of Helena. His rustic old miner's cabin on Ten Mile Creek had an outhouse and was heated with a wood stove. Weston panned for gold dust and continued his compulsive letter writing, complaining to various federal agencies about everything from pollution to imagined land mines on his property.

Neighbors viewed Weston as reclusive and eccentric. "The neighbors talked about how he would walk up to their TV dish and talk to it, as if he believed he was being broadcast out the other end," said neighbor Phil Maynard. "I heard he was mentally off kilter and that he was taking medication and, when he wasn't, he would become a little agitated and hard to deal with."

Weston's former classmates got an inkling of how strange his behavior had become in 1994, when they invited him to his 20th high school reunion. "We got back this strange, angry reply from Rusty saying, `Don't ever contact me again,' " Baum said.

Weston's illness appeared to worsen in 1996, the year he was placed on a Secret Service watch list of potentially-dangerous individuals. Weston came to the attention of authorities as a result of three separate incidents.

On a trip to Washington he appeared at the CIA headquarters in Langley, Va., and spun a complex tale of intrigue for security officers.

Back in Valmeyer, visiting his parents, he complained to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office that President Bill Clinton had sent a Navy SEAL to assassinate him. The SEAL was lying in wait for him in a soybean field across from his parent's home, Weston told a sheriff's deputy.

"The guy was pretty matter-of-fact. If you didn't talk to him for a long time, you may have a tendency to believe what he was saying. It wasn't like he was all jittery and hyper and you'd say, `Man, there's something wrong with this guy,' " Sheriff Dan Kelley said.

"The deputy went over there and looked. No beans were knocked down. No footprints. Absolutely no physical evidence that anyone had been there," Kelley said.

That encounter prompted Kelley's office to notify the Secret Service. "Somewhere in the conversation with the deputy he mentioned Bill Clinton. If my memory serves me correctly, Clinton was supposed to be coming to St. Louis. I said, `We need to notify the Secret Service.' " Two agents came to the Weston's home to interview Rusty, his parents said.

Later that same year Weston was confined in the Montana State Hospital at Warm Springs, a psychiatric facility, after a judge ordered him committed, finding him to be either a danger to himself or others. Montana authorities would not reveal the reason why. Weston's parents believe his commitment was triggered when he went to a hospital with an infected arm, then became agitated.

He was discharged in December, 1996, with a plan that called for him to return to Illinois for treatment at an outpatient clinic, according to Ed Amberg, a spokesman for the state hospital.

Weston returned to his parent's home with two suitcases filled with documents, much of it correspondence with various federal agencies.

Following his Montana hospitalization he seemed much better. However, when the three medications he was taking ran out, Weston never sought further treatment.

When he kept busy running errands for his grandmother, chopping wood and gardening on the family's property, Rusty seemed almost normal, his parents said. Other times the delusions returned - the Navy SEAL, the bombs in his parents' cable television system, the land mines.

In the evening, in his blue-carpeted room with his big-screen TV, his short-wave radio and his typewriter, Weston continued his letter-writing and kept a detailed diary.

His parents lived on edge, worrying about Weston's strange behavior. They urged him to renew his medications. But when he was confronted, Weston became agitated and argued that he wasn't ill. His parents were fearful of arguing with him.

"There's a fine line that you have to travel. And you know what, if you go over that line, it makes him angry," Russell Weston Sr. told reporters.

The elder Weston apaprently crossed that line on July 23, the day he ordered Rusty Weston to leave. His grandmother, Lillie, had asked Rusty to "thin" the more than 25 feral cats living on the property.

But Russell Weston Sr., who considered some of the cats his pets, became angry when he found them in the garbage, shot dead with a .20-gauge shotgun. "We've put up with a lot, but cruelty to animals is something I couldn't take," Weston said. "I was steamed. I said, `I'll give you 10 days to leave.' "

Weston borrowed $50 from his grandmother, sadly telling her, "I have no home." Then he headed on his way in his red Chevrolet pickup.

Instead of heading west to his Montana cabin, as his father had expected, the troubled Weston allegedly drove east to Washington and shot his way through a Capitol security checkpoint.
Caption:
1) AP Photo- Russell Weston Jr. after arrest on drug possession
Edition: ALL EDITIONS
Section: NEWS
Page: A06
Index Terms: RUSSELL WESTON JR.SHOOTING.CAPITOL BUILDING.DEATH.PROFILE.FAMILY.BEHAVIOR.LIFESTYLE.GUNS.
Copyright (c) 1998 Newsday, Inc.
Record Number: 959168601

OpenURL Article Bookmark (right click, and copy the link location):
Journey Toward Trouble / Capitol suspect: average child, anguished adult
http://docs.newsbank.com.ezproxy.fau...nfo:sid/iw.new
sbank.com:AWNB:NWDB&rft_val_format=infofi/fmt:kev:mtx:ctx&rft_dat=0EB5D2A
7485367E6&svc_dat=InfoWeb:aggregated4&req_dat=0D0CB4F5C0EA43AA
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:19 AM   #87
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Thanks for posting that article, Justin.

I'm curious, though: What would be the conspiracy? What would the abduction of Nyleen have proved?
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:43 AM   #88
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
I'm curious, though: What would be the conspiracy? What would the abduction of Nyleen have proved?
That's what I thought.

In watching the segment, I got the impression that the adbuctor picked up on the fact that the outdoor gathering was a family reunion/picnic, and tried to blend in the crowd, perhaps as a little known relative, which wouldn't be that hard to do in a sense. The last family reunion I was at, I didn't know half the people at all.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #89
Eire
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
Thanks for posting that article, Justin.

After reading the article, it seems that he's one of the people who believes that goverment officials gather together at some secret location to molest children. Some people involved in the Johnny Gosh case believe the same thing. There's supposedly a location in California where every one from the president to the vice president of Outer Mongolia get together to participate in all sorts of crazy stuff. I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but it's something grove. Pretty weird conspiracy theory if you ask me.
Eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:05 PM   #90
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Huh. Interesting. Thanks for the insight.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote