Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #16
Victoria81
Forum Regular

They asked for the Croft children..that is creepy.
Victoria81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:43 PM   #17
alistaircranium
Frequent Poster

Sadly, like most missing children cases, I think the poor girl was probably raped and murdered soon after her abduction. :-/ The question is why would they specifically target that family?
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #18
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistaircranium
Sadly, like most missing children cases, I think the poor girl was probably raped and murdered soon after her abduction. :-/ The question is why would they specifically target that family?
The only thing I can think of is they heard the mother was dead and took advantage of the situation, but they'd have to have been keeping an eye on that family to know that much.
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #19
Bluejay
Frequent Poster

Quote:
If you really believe that in the midst of that insanity Joan Gay was abducted by a predator ring, I suggest you read Stewart O'Nan's The Circus Fire, or any book about Katrina/Rita. In the aftermath of a disaster with the masses of human wreckage, living and dead, that the responders have to deal with, the amount of sheer shrieking bloody agony and horrific injuries among the survivors, there is an unbelievable amount of confusion. Survivors were being loaded onto freight cars to be taken to shelters and hospitals in other cities. The local fire chief wrote in his log book that this was a night of hell. These things do something to a person's mind and memory. You could look right at a close relative, even your own child, and not recognize them, or see a stranger and think it's your loved one.

This pertains to Joan Gay herself of course but also about the people around her, Geri included. Did the men actually come in asking for the Croft children or for Joan Gay? Whose word do we have on this? Maybe they asked for injured children, getting them to hospital first. Was she put on one of those boxcars and end up in a faraway city? Did she die in hospital unidentified like Little Miss 1565 -- and maybe get misidentified as many think 1565 was? Hospital records may not help. If the men did ask for her, were they possibly sent by Olin who was in critical condition at Oklahoma City hospital and trying to hold onto his loved child? (Geri was not his, she was a stepdaughter.) What did he say about all this later? Why wouldn't Geri participate in the DNA test? There are still way too many unanswered questions and undocumented facts.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #20
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

You're right, Bluejay, maybe Geri was in on it!
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #21
idyla
Frequent Poster

I doubt the sister was "in on it" as she was 8 at the time. There are varying accounts that Joan Gay was taken alone because she was injured worse OR because her father only wanted his biological daughter, not his step-daughter. There could just be some lingering resentment if he showed extreme favoritism, too. If the half-sister has been living her life having mourned for her sister long ago and truly believing she's dead, she might not have wanted to drag all that back up again - especially since it seems likely she had no further contact with the Crofts after her mom passed away.

The men said they were taking her to Oklahoma City. A pencil-sized splinter through the knee isn't a huge trauma on a grown individual, but it could be fairly major for a small child of 4. If the ride wasn't smooth and careful, she could have had complications that necessitated stopping before they reached Oklahoma City. Or they could have wrecked on the way there. Those sorts of injuries can be deceiving since they don't tend to bleed that much but are still quite serious.

Oklahoma doesn't have any UID cases online prior to the 1970s, either.

I wouldn't be shocked that this is yet another mystery that has endured mostly because records are old and forgotten or have even disappeared over the years. If all of their UID records were placed online, there would probably be a match with her. The only family she was with to start with was an 8 year old sister and after that she was on her own as far as people who could identify her as well.

IMO, her age and injury along with the timing make it too inconvenient to be a kidnapping or other crime. They'd have to deal with her injury and there is a good possibility she had a physical impairment from it if she survived. She's also a bit old to be sold off for adoption once healed up.
idyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #22
WilliamHBonney
Frequent Poster

According to a locak OK news report they have taken a sample of Marvella's DNA and are putting it in a state database and linking it with other states.

http://kfor.com/2016/05/05/search-st...-69-years-ago/

I feel it's very possible the 2 men were just hired goon's by some unsavory Adoption Agency(which is why they showed up a day after the storm) and Joan lived somewhere else with forgotten memories.
WilliamHBonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #23
alistaircranium
Frequent Poster

I watched a soap opera where a character got amnesia following a tornado, so it's possible the same thing happened to Joan Gay Croft.
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #24
Bluejay
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I watched a soap opera where a character got amnesia following a tornado, so it's possible the same thing happened to Joan Gay Croft.
I think this is closer to what happened. Like today, she might remember little or nothing, or maybe knows she was in a disaster, but without details. Like, "that's where I got this scar on my leg".

In the confusion and chaos she might have been placed at the wrong hospital. She might even have ended up out of state. She could not speak clearly so might have been misunderstood even if she did try to communicate.

I've always gone with the adoption theory. Either someone lost their kid and took her in, or she ended up at an orphanage and was adopted from there, or fostered where it was meant to be temporary and became permanent. One way or another, she is out there. She will be found.
Bluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:25 PM   #25
paul.austin
Frequent Poster

Why did these men ask for Joan Gay in particular?
paul.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #26
Mysteryphile
I wonder what happened to her.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.austin
If you go with the targeted kidnapping theory...then maybe a woman that really wanted a child had noticed her. Then the tornado happened. The woman heard that her mother was killed and knew she only had a stepfather and older half sister left so decided to take her for herself. (and had two men...her husband and brother???) carry it out.

I don't know if I agree with this theory, but I have no idea what is the most likely thing that happened.
Mysteryphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #27
Bluejay
Frequent Poster

Quote:
They also said they were taking her to rejoin other family members. That's what makes me think Olin was trying to bring her to him. He was laid up in an Oklahoma City hospital. No doubt he knew what can happen in a situation like this and wanted his daughter nearby.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #28
soilentgreen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Good question, since they never returned for the older sister. There's no evidence that the father had any connection to these two individuals. If they were friends of the family as they claimed when they were confronted by the staff, why were none of the relatives ever contacted? If their story was truthful, there's no reason for Joan Gay to have disappeared - they would have taken her to one of the hospitals under her proper name (as they knew it) or they would have contacted her family.
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #29
PracTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilentgreen
Good question, since they never returned for the older sister. There's no evidence that the father had any connection to these two individuals. If they were friends of the family as they claimed when they were confronted by the staff, why were none of the relatives ever contacted? If their story was truthful, there's no reason for Joan Gay to have disappeared - they would have taken her to one of the hospitals under her proper name (as they knew it) or they would have contacted her family.

I wonder if perhaps Joan Gay's father Mr. Croft may have asked for his daughter via a 3rd individual who, in turn happened to see these two men and these two men were not from the area but were passing through yet took the task because they could have used the monies re carrying it out. The men would have known about Joan Gay so they could have asked for her. Then their own vehicle may have gotten into a one-car collision with it going straight into a flooded ditch/pond that no one else may have noticed during the chaos and the three of them drowned. Then, with no one noticing the accident and the site being underwater or eventually having sod shift over it, no one would has ever found the car. And if the two men were unknown in the area, it's also possible that whatever family or friends of theirs may have had no idea of their travels and wouldn't have looked for them in Oklahoma. Has anyone ever checked on whether two men from other parts of the country could have turned up missing at the same time as Joan Gay? Did anyone ask Mr. Croft if he DID ask anyone to retrieve his daughter. Perhaps whoever Mr. Crofth may have asked (IF he did) may have asked felt so ashamed that they'd entrusted two strangers with the task so they never admitted their own role.
I have nothing to base this on but it wouldn't be the first time folks with good intentions may have still wound up dead/missing with no one knowing their fates.
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #30
Bluejay
Frequent Poster

The idea that something happened to their transport is definitely possible. The men could have been either hired, as you suggest, or just wanted to help like Good Samaritans. (Or both.) There are so many elements to this. I found that Olin died age 83 in a mental institution -- now did he have something like Alzheimer's/senile dementia or was this another condition, maybe he got obsessive & paranoid trying to find her? Too much is unknown.