Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; FX Sets Dates for Fall 2019 Schedule
Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
justins5256

Default Dolores Valadez

Just watched this tonight. I had seen it before. I felt really sad for this woman who seemingly has no past.

Unfortunately, there seem to be so many avenues this could go with regard to the identity of her parents.

I did some searching and surprisingly found no discussions about this case.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'll post more tomorrow.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
DarkDante

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
Just watched this tonight. I had seen it before. I felt really sad for this woman who seemingly has no past.

Unfortunately, there seem to be so many avenues this could go with regard to the identity of her parents.

I did some searching and surprisingly found no discussions about this case.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'll post more tomorrow.
I always found it somewhat upsetting how her family seemed to willfully withhold information from her in regards to her origins. Sad.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

Never heard of her. What was her case about?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
Never heard of her. What was her case about?
Her story aired during the 88-89 season. Dolores was in her late thirties or early forties at the time.

Basically, she was desperate to find any information about her natural parents. She was raised in a largely Hispanic populated area of California in the fifties. Dolores' stepmother was an older woman named Maria who had a reputation as being a healer and shaman in the community. Maria told Dolores that she had been abandoned on Maria's doorstep as an infant. However, Dolores never believed the story. Maria eventually passed away and Dolores began searching for her real parents.

She was able to find a record of her baptism. The baptism record indicated she had God parents. She did not recognize their names. An investigator interviewed on the segment said it wasn't uncommon in situations where a child was born out of wedlock for the God parents to actually be the biological parents as listed in the records.

Dolores also found some hospital records for a procedure she had done as a child. The hospital records listed Maria as her aunt and her mother as another woman named "Esther" who was supposedly deceased. She thought it possible that Esther could have been an alias for another family member. Perhaps this person gave Dolores to Maria. Apparently, this wasn't uncommon in large Mexican families with lots of siblings if someone was unable to care for another child. Such matters were never discussed once the exchange took place.

Dolores also followed up on a rumor that a local woman and long time family friend was her mother. Dolores talked to the woman and she completely denied being her mother. Dolores closely resembled this woman's other daughters.

Perhaps the most heartbreaking part of the segment was an interview with Dolores' adopted brother. Apparently he told Dolores when they were children that he knew the truth. He was interviewed for the segment and claimed he "didn't remember" and didn't know anything.

A lot of circumstantial evidence, but nothing to indicate which of the above theories is more likely to be correct. Just from watching the segment, one gets the impression there are family members who know the truth but they were unwilling to talk about it for whatever reason. Truly a shame if it is true.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

BUMP

I think the most likely explanation is probably correct. Maria was actually her aunt and her birth mother gave her up because she could not raise her. Don't see any reason as to why the family friend wouldn't come clean if she was in fact Dolores's mother, and I don't see any logical reason as to why Dolores's brother would willingly hide the information from her.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #6
unsolved88
Forum Regular

I posted this case on Reddit last year and somebody raised the possibility that Dolores may have been the product of incest and that's why there was such secrecy. Not a bad theory IMO. I'd love to know if Dolores ever found out who she was and where she came from.
unsolved88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsolved88
I posted this case on Reddit last year and somebody raised the possibility that Dolores may have been the product of incest and that's why there was such secrecy. Not a bad theory IMO. I'd love to know if Dolores ever found out who she was and where she came from.
The incest angle would not shock me at all. That would explain all of the secrecy over the years.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #8
Hot Jock
Forum Regular

I usually just skim through Lost Love segments (or skip them altogether) but I watched this one in its entirety while compiling the episode guide because I'd never seen it before. At least I can't remember ever seeing it before but I'm pretty sure I did during the original run but I was just a kid back then. Anyway, I couldn't help but feel terrible for her. It's a shame that nothing ever came of her appearing on UM.
Hot Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
bluejazz87
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The incest angle would not shock me at all. That would explain all of the secrecy over the years.
If that's the case I may not want to know my true heritage. That would be hard to deal with.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:35 PM   #10
unsolved243
Frequent Poster

A user on reddit did some searching on Ancestry about this case and found some interesting information. Dolores's stepmother Maria was married to a man named Agapito and the couple had several children. One child was a teenager at the time of Dolores's birth. Her name? Esther. Of course, this is the name listed as Dolores's mother on a hospital form. According to Ancestry, Esther was around 16 or 17 when Dolores was born. The reddit user theorized that Esther gave birth to Dolores out of wedlock and had her mother Maria raise the baby.

Reddit Thread link

I think this theory makes sense, especially since Maria was so secretive about Dolores's past and appeared to resent her. It also makes me wonder if Dolores ever tried to do Ancestry or some sort of DNA testing to determine if she was related to Maria. I think Dolores's case is definitely solvable (if she and/or some of her biological relatives are still alive).
unsolved243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #11
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsolved243 View Post
A user on reddit did some searching on Ancestry about this case and found some interesting information. Dolores's stepmother Maria was married to a man named Agapito and the couple had several children. One child was a teenager at the time of Dolores's birth. Her name? Esther. Of course, this is the name listed as Dolores's mother on a hospital form. According to Ancestry, Esther was around 16 or 17 when Dolores was born. The reddit user theorized that Esther gave birth to Dolores out of wedlock and had her mother Maria raise the baby.

Reddit Thread link

I think this theory makes sense, especially since Maria was so secretive about Dolores's past and appeared to resent her. It also makes me wonder if Dolores ever tried to do Ancestry or some sort of DNA testing to determine if she was related to Maria. I think Dolores's case is definitely solvable (if she and/or some of her biological relatives are still alive).
Out of all the theories, I think this makes the most sense.

My only question is how close was the daughter Esther to Maria and the family after this? Assuming she was close, the theory seems overly simplistic and it’s amazing Dolores wouldn’t know or have connected those dots long before now.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #12
unsolved243
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256 View Post
Out of all the theories, I think this makes the most sense.

My only question is how close was the daughter Esther to Maria and the family after this? Assuming she was close, the theory seems overly simplistic and it’s amazing Dolores wouldn’t know or have connected those dots long before now.
That's a good point; I don't know if Esther was close to Maria or not. However, Dolores apparently never mentioned her so it's possible that she was not close to Maria. Furthermore, it's possible that Esther could have moved away after she gave birth to Dolores and cut off contact with Maria and the rest of the family.

Either way, I think if Dolores did a DNA test with a genealogy website, she would most likely be able to find the truth about her past.
unsolved243 is offline   Reply With Quote