Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

My Three Sons links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / My Three Sons Photo Gallery

My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume One

Buy My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume One on DVD
My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume Two

Buy My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume Two on DVD
My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume One

Buy My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume One on DVD
My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume Two

Buy My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume Two on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > My Three Sons
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-13-2017, 05:00 AM   #1
Ronny G
Forum Regular

Default Why Do the Boys Call Their Grandfather by his First Name?

Was it explained early on? I must have missed the episode. I never hear them call him Gramps or Grandpa. Knowing the character, I'm guessing that he insisted on them calling him, Bub, because Gramps sounds too old.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #2
Alan Brady's Hair

"Bub" is a weird nickname. Technically it's a little condescending, but between people who are close it expresses affection. I think the show was trying to show that even though the character could be gruff, the kids saw through that and liked him.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #3
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

I believe it's been explained at some point that the name came from Chip, when he was very young -- and apparently just learning to speak. It "stuck" from there.

Note that when Bub's brother Charley arrives and Bub is mentioned, Charley replies "Who?" So as far as family, while the nickname was in use by Steve and the boys in their household, that seems to be as far as it went.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:55 AM   #4
snowpeck
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to snowpeck Send a message via Yahoo to snowpeck

Bub's full name was William Michael Francis Aloysius O'Casey. It was explained in the first episode that Mike had problems saying "Grandpa" as a child and it kept coming out as "Bub." Then everyone started calling him that.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:14 AM   #5
faraj
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpeck
Bub's full name was William Michael Francis Aloysius O'Casey. It was explained in the first episode that Mike had problems saying "Grandpa" as a child and it kept coming out as "Bub." Then everyone started calling him that.
Just like on Leave It To Beaver, the Beaver was called by that name because his older brother, Wally, had trouble pronouncing Theodore when he was born.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:05 AM   #6
TV Guy

Bub's first name changes, though. There was no "William" at the beginning, and Michael was his first name. There's even an episode where Bub says to himself, "Michael O'Casey, what were you thinking?" Or something like that. Then in season 5, Charley shows up asking for "Bill O'Casey".
Old 10-21-2017, 01:15 AM   #7
faraj
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy
Bub's first name changes, though. There was no "William" at the beginning, and Michael was his first name. There's even an episode where Bub says to himself, "Michael O'Casey, what were you thinking?" Or something like that. Then in season 5, Charley shows up asking for "Bill O'Casey".
That makes it 2 Michaels. O'Casey and Douglas.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
snowpeck
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to snowpeck Send a message via Yahoo to snowpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraj
That makes it 2 Michaels. O'Casey and Douglas.

Yup. They also mentioned that Mike was named after his grandfather.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
faraj
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpeck
Yup. They also mentioned that Mike was named after his grandfather.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Like Robbie and Katie's triplets were named after him, Uncle Charley, and Steve (Dad).
Old 10-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
faraj
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy
Sometimes, first name changes on TV. Like Fred's boss, Mr. Slate, had different first names on the Flintstones. And I think Eddie Haskell's father had different first names on Leave It To Beaver as well.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #11
stevea

I think the names change because someone isn't paying attention to continuity, or no one is assigned the task. On Beaver, yes, Eddie's father was called either George, or Frank.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #12
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

I can't recall what name appears on the vaudeville poster in Bub's room, visible in several eps, on which he receives billing. It remained on the wall after he left and was seen in one of the early Charley episodes.

Whether William or Michael, the name as printed (in my opinion) should be the preferred or correct name -- but I could be persuaded otherwise.