Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Andy Griffith Show (Sitcoms Online) / The Andy Griffith Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Andy Griffith Show Photo Gallery

The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete First Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete First Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Second Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Third Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fourth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fifth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Sixth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Seventh Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Eighth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series on DVD
The Andy Griffith Show 50th Anniversary - The Best of Mayberry

Buy The Andy Griffith Show 50th Anniversary - The Best of Mayberry on DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - Season 1 (Blu-ray)

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - Season 1 on Blu-ray

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > The Andy Griffith Show
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #31
PracTz
Forum Regular

How about the episode in which Warren had been barely introduced before he started giving tickets, fines and citations like a .. Barney Wanabee? I know that Barney was irreplaceable but having Warren START OUT over the top and obnoxious was no way to have the audience want to get to know much less like or think Warren funny. I actually felt sorry for the performer here because I can't imagine any performer somehow turning the character into a sympathetic person with the lines he was given.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #32
Anna Karenina
Arthur Spooner Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by caladon
What I didn't like about "Opie the Birdman" was Andy's blatant hypocrisy. What Opie did was strictly an accident, whereas Andy on more than one occasion talks about going out with the intent purpose of shooting crows.

He believes that intentionally killing a crow is less offensive than accidently killing a song bird.

At least Opie did the responsible thing by taking care of the baby birds. I don't imagine Andy gave a thought to any baby crows.

Andy's blatant hypocrisy in that episode was for the birds. Not to mention all of that fried chicken they consumed.

He could be way too hard on Opie, Mr McBeevee comes to mind. Opie essentially did nothing wrong and he is on the road to get a whoopin'?

Andy could be such a ***** sometimes.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:41 PM   #33
70s show watcher

how about the one where opie ruined aunt bea.s rose even after opie said that he was sorry for doing it we still had to listen to her whine and cry and act like opie was conspiring to make her lose the garden/flower show intentiolly also i know that i will take alot of flack for this but i have always thought that man in a hurry was an overrated and somewhat boring ep
Old 01-15-2017, 11:00 PM   #34
Alan Brady's Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70s show watcher
i have always thought that man in a hurry was an overrated and somewhat boring ep

FLACK!!! FLACK!!! FLACK!!!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #35
Bronson
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Karenina
Andy's blatant hypocrisy in that episode was for the birds. Not to mention all of that fried chicken they consumed.

He could be way too hard on Opie, Mr McBeevee comes to mind. Opie essentially did nothing wrong and he is on the road to get a whoopin'?

Andy could be such a ***** sometimes.

I agree. Andy about to give Opie a whipping for his belief that he was lying about Mr. McBeevee was dumb. I was glad that Andy's good sense took over before he did that.

Another episode where this strange man comes to town and acts like he knows everyone and invades their space like he is an old friend. The scene with him sticking his face in the baby carriage would certainly upset any parent.

I understood the townspeople being upset. I would as well if some person who I have never seen before acted as if we were old friends.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #36
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

I agree about the McBeevee episode, however --

I think fathers tended to "father" their sons a little hard in the '60s. When I was around age 4+ circa 1969, my older brother and a couple of his friends decided to "take a whiz" by the outdoor patio -- so I did the same. When my dad found out, I got it in the behind with a strop, just like my brother. No mollycoddling despite my very young age. It was a different era.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:01 AM   #37
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
I agree about the McBeevee episode, however --

I think fathers tended to "father" their sons a little hard in the '60s. When I was around age 4+ circa 1969, my older brother and a couple of his friends decided to "take a whiz" by the outdoor patio -- so I did the same. When my dad found out, I got it in the behind with a strop, just like my brother. No mollycoddling despite my very young age. It was a different era.
your brother, his friends and you actually did that?

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 03-29-2017, 04:06 PM   #38
Scrabjan1

After reading all the posts.....Too many to mention!!! There were some real clunkers in the later years. That waitress who had a thing for Andy but wound up with Goober was pitiful.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #39
visaman666
Forum Regular

How hard up were the women in Mayberry that Goober was considered a catch?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:16 PM   #40
Scrabjan1

How about when Flora Goober's girl decided she no longer would work at the station and put on a dress. Goober is filling up the tank at the time and kisses Goober. Very suggestive by today's standards.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #41
tdr

I understand everyone's reasoning for the episodes they particularly dislike, even if I don't agree. But when I consider how many eps per season they filmed back then-- as many as 39-- we just have to expect that some are not going to be up to our standards of taste, while some will be especially endearing.

Most of the disliked eps mentioned seem to be because a featured character is one the poster dislikes anyway, and that's another longtime rule of sitcoms. Barney is full of pride, though impractical, ignorant and bumblingly nervous; but Goober can be even more so. Yet it seems nobody really minds Barney being as he is, as that's just his comic character; but the more extreme Goober threatens his position in such a way. I certainly don't like the talking dog episode, because it just makes Goober too stupid-- stupid enough to be pitied, not laughed with. As for Howard going away to the tropical island, to me that's better than the time he tried to make his house a swinging bachelor pad-- because it's a bold step toward a new way of life, not trying to cut a decade or more of his life out, when his mother was still there, and try to become what he knows he is not because she's longer there. While he makes a similar mistake by going to the island, he tried to change his environment; not depend on a new artificial environment to change him. But, take your pick, if you like one and not the other.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the final (?) season ep in which Opie and Arnold find the baby in a basket at the courthouse door. It's discomforting as Opie asks Helen and Goober "Do you want to have a baby?" and everyone thinks Opie needs a facts-of-life lecture from Andy. But if Andy is really a competent law official he could not have let the couple take the baby when they changed their minds and wanted her back. The writing attempts to portray it as Andy giving a stern warning that if they are ever leave the baby again, the case will be turned over to the Child Welfare department (or the equivalent). But Andy would have been required to do that the first time (I'm assuming) they left their baby where anyone could take her or in possible danger. Andy's "go not so much by the book as by the heart" philosophy fizzles in a case like that.

Just one more thing,... I do like "Opie the Bird Man" because of its symbolic implications-- Opie becomes a mother, per se, because of death when he has no mother for the same reason, and he wants to continue taking care of his 'children,' but he realizes he has to let them go and be what they were meant to be. It's like confirmation that we know Opie also will be what his mother would have meant for him to be.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #42
Mayberry'sBadBoy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr
I understand everyone's reasoning for the episodes they particularly dislike, even if I don't agree. But when I consider how many eps per season they filmed back then-- as many as 39-- we just have to expect that some are not going to be up to our standards of taste, while some will be especially endearing.

Most of the disliked eps mentioned seem to be because a featured character is one the poster dislikes anyway, and that's another longtime rule of sitcoms. Barney is full of pride, though impractical, ignorant and bumblingly nervous; but Goober can be even more so. Yet it seems nobody really minds Barney being as he is, as that's just his comic character; but the more extreme Goober threatens his position in such a way. I certainly don't like the talking dog episode, because it just makes Goober too stupid-- stupid enough to be pitied, not laughed with. As for Howard going away to the tropical island, to me that's better than the time he tried to make his house a swinging bachelor pad-- because it's a bold step toward a new way of life, not trying to cut a decade or more of his life out, when his mother was still there, and try to become what he knows he is not because she's longer there. While he makes a similar mistake by going to the island, he tried to change his environment; not depend on a new artificial environment to change him. But, take your pick, if you like one and not the other.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the final (?) season ep in which Opie and Arnold find the baby in a basket at the courthouse door. It's discomforting as Opie asks Helen and Goober "Do you want to have a baby?" and everyone thinks Opie needs a facts-of-life lecture from Andy. But if Andy is really a competent law official he could not have let the couple take the baby when they changed their minds and wanted her back. The writing attempts to portray it as Andy giving a stern warning that if they are ever leave the baby again, the case will be turned over to the Child Welfare department (or the equivalent). But Andy would have been required to do that the first time (I'm assuming) they left their baby where anyone could take her or in possible danger. Andy's "go not so much by the book as by the heart" philosophy fizzles in a case like that.

Just one more thing,... I do like "Opie the Bird Man" because of its symbolic implications-- Opie becomes a mother, per se, because of death when he has no mother for the same reason, and he wants to continue taking care of his 'children,' but he realizes he has to let them go and be what they were meant to be. It's like confirmation that we know Opie also will be what his mother would have meant for him to be.

The difference between Barney and Goober is that Barney's likable and has shown time and time again that he deeply cares for his friends and loved ones and is competent when the going gets tough. Goober on the other hand was never shown to be competent when it came to matters beside fixing motors and the writers dropped the ball when it came to him interacting with other character. It always shocked me how Andy was supposed to be his friend considering how many episodes had the two butting heads (particularly in the colored seasons). The only episode I can think of where Andy blasted Barney the way he did Goober was The Case of the Punch in the Nose, which Barney deserved for starting up a ruckus (Not to mention that scene was actually funny)
Old 05-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #43
stevea

THE absolute worst was the final episode. Lucky for Mayberry RFD that they didn't continue in this vein.

The episode where Andy dated Mavis Neff...well, she was SO bad she was good.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #44
visaman666
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by visaman666
A Girl For Goober. None of the actors were even trying, just reading their lines off cue cards while half-baked.

Actually all the Goober episodes were BAAAAD!

Oh no, that's a classic! Lydia Crosswaith anyone? She was a fox, she gets the herpies you know!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:54 PM   #45
stevea

Oh, heavens, Lydia Crosswaith! Egad...LOL! Goober didn't do anything for that episode, but Lydia...whoever she was, she deserved an award!

You know, they could have had another episode and got her with the fun girls...they would have educated her.