Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Andy Griffith Show (Sitcoms Online) / The Andy Griffith Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Andy Griffith Show Photo Gallery

The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete First Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete First Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Second Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Third Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fourth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fifth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Sixth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Seventh Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Eighth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series on DVD
The Andy Griffith Show 50th Anniversary - The Best of Mayberry

Buy The Andy Griffith Show 50th Anniversary - The Best of Mayberry on DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - Season 1 (Blu-ray)

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - Season 1 on Blu-ray

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > The Andy Griffith Show
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #16
Mikado
Forum Celebrity
Main st bridge

It would seem as if the opinions are varied to say the least, but, it sounds as if , in general, he was a good guy, but let the pressures of the job get to him at times......in other words, pretty much like anyone else.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #17
Bigcheese
First Time Poster

Default Andy Griffith is not very pleasant

If you want to know about Andy Griffith then ask someone from Mt. Airey or better yet ask someone from Manteo, N.C. They all have a low opinion of the man. As a matter of fact ask the people from Mt. Airey how many times they asked him to come back for a dedication service or parade. I think they got tired of asking. Or ask the people that run "The Lost Colony" where Andy Griffith got his start in Manteo how many times they have asked him back for a guest apperance.

We live near Manteo and two of our friends have had bad experiences. One worked in the ACE Hardware store in Manteo. He said everyday Mr. Griffith would come in and you better not speak to him because he would either grunt at you or yell.

My other friend saw Mr. Griffith leaving the local supermarket and just wanted to say "Thanks for making T.V. so wonderful for all the family to enjoy" Before she could get the first word out he started yelling "Leave me alone...get away from me" another friend had a similar experience outside a restaurant in Nags Head.

Now I know I can be grumpy but I'm never rude and I work with people every day.

I like the old shows but my opinion of AG is not much.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:11 AM   #18
mayberry
Occasional Poster

I alwas heard to he was hard to get along with.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

I have seen Nancy Stafford, his Matlock co-star, interviewed and she said that she and Andy Griffith never really got along. Ms. Stafford also happens to be a devout Christian, motivational speaker and author. Andy Griffith has also gone on record as being a Christian, too. Odd.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 08-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #20
Rezny@gmail.com

It also could be that he didn't get along too well with Matlock creator Dean Hargrove,because in the shows' last NBC season(1991-1992),Andy Griffith replaced Dean Hargrove as co-executive producer with Fred Silverman,and on the ABC shows it was the same way,with Fred Silverman and Andy Griffith as Executive producers.Before,(up until 1991-1992),it was Fred Silverman and Dean Hargrove who were executive producers.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #21
Rezny@gmail.com

And that could be why Linda Purl left when she did(she left after her brief final appearance in NBC's first season's "The People vs.Matlock"-did THEY get along?),and why Keene Holliday as Det.Tyler Hudson left after the 2-parter NBC episode"The Thief",Clarence Gilyard,Jr.as Det.Conrad McMasters left to do "Walker,Texas Ranger",and Brynn Thayer left when she did.Did ANY of them get along with Andy Griffith?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #22
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

I have no idea - I don't really know a whole lot about Matlock, to be honest.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #23
caladon

Years ago, I saw an interview with Andy Griffith. One of the questions asked was "Which character is closest to how you are; Andy Taylor or Ben Matlock?"
His reply was Ben Matlock; mainly because he admitted that he's not very patient with people and he can be grumpy.

At least he was being honest.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #24
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Quote:
Originally Posted by caladon
Years ago, I saw an interview with Andy Griffith. One of the questions asked was "Which character is closest to how you are; Andy Taylor or Ben Matlock?"
His reply was Ben Matlock; mainly because he admitted that he's not very patient with people and he can be grumpy.

At least he was being honest.
and Matlock sure was grumpy. But at least he liked his hot dogs. lol
Old 08-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #25
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
and Matlock sure was grumpy. But at least he liked his hot dogs. lol
Old 08-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #26
brgmgb
Frequent Poster

The character Andy Taylor even changed during the run of TAGS. In the early seasons, Andy was happy-go-lucky. In the later seasons, he was short with people and grumpy. And that was just the character. I always thought that he probably had a lot of fun when the show first started, but got tired of the show before he was willing to give it up.

Having seen Matlock too, I think he is probably more like Matlock and the later-season Andy Taylor than the early season Andy.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #27
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgmgb
The character Andy Taylor even changed during the run of TAGS. In the early seasons, Andy was happy-go-lucky. In the later seasons, he was short with people and grumpy. And that was just the character. I always thought that he probably had a lot of fun when the show first started, but got tired of the show before he was willing to give it up.

Having seen Matlock too, I think he is probably more like Matlock and the later-season Andy Taylor than the early season Andy.
I think after Don Knotts left, it just wasn't the same for him. Don was his other half. He had nobody to play against.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #28
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
I think after Don Knotts left, it just wasn't the same for him. Don was his other half. He had nobody to play against.
Yup - I also think that's a huge reason why only the Don Knotts era was/is shown in many of the syndication packages.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #29
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Quote:

After Don Knotts left, the show went to sh*t.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #30
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
After Don Knotts left, the show went to sh*t.
Plus, no one remembers Warren - or if they do, it's not by name and only as the guy who came in after Don Knotts/Barney Fife left. Jack Burns really was in a no-win situation, trying to fill Mr. Knotts' shoes.