Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > TV Series on DVD News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV Fall 2018 Schedule; Disney Channel Gets New Sitcom for Friday Nights This Fall
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 20, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Commitment for Spinoff of The Middle Starring Eden Sher; Luke Null Leaving Saturday Night Live
Fri-Yay: Reboot Fever Continues with Talks of Designing Women and Frasier Reboots; E! Gets Busy...Philipps
Netflix's Atypical Returns Sept. 7; GSN Brings Back John Michael Higgins Game Show
Antenna TV's Alice Labor Day Marathon; NBC App Adds Saved by the Bell and Heroes
Fresh off the Boat Launches Sept. 1 on UPtv; New Sabrina Begins Oct. 26 on Netflix
Netflix Gets Paul Rudd Comedy from IFC; Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj Coming to Netflix

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-05-2016, 01:03 AM   #91
Count Duckula
Occasional Poster

They should just put the season number right where it goes on the spine, and on the front of the set. If it's the 8th and final season, then put "the final season" somewhere else on the spine and cover, but leave the season number 8 there, too.
Count Duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #92
bmasters9

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/NYPD-Bl...l-Series/22721

Box art for the final-season (12th) release of NYPD Blue says that it will simply be called "The Final Season" and no more, at least going by the front art that is shown.
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's spiel for The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season; modified from what it was in 1985)
bmasters9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #93
Svenfan1234
Carole King = Queen of Music

^I noticed that. Don't really care. If you don't buy it, why worry?
And take your soul if you let them,
Oh, but don't you let them

Carole King, You've Got a Friend
Svenfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #94
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

With the final season DVD releases of ''Haven'' (season 5 part 2, which was also released on Blu-Ray), ''Bitten'' (season 3), and ''Rookie Blue'' (season 6, initially season 5 volume 2) omitting the season number completely (though I can't tell because I haven't looked at the spines of those sets), I think Entertainment One is becoming another Paramount.

It doesn't matter whether I could afford any season DVDs of TV shows, I'm just sick and tired of companies like Paramount omitting season number. If I had been able to afford them, I would still refuse to buy the DVDs with the season number omitted completely. Nothing is going to persuade me to change my mind. These season-number omissions from these DVD sets will spoil my enjoyment of the TV shows themselves.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #95
Wiseguy2
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James28
I was talking about future "final season" DVD releases from Paramount. please.
Of course, you are only talking about future releases. I've already given you a list of Paramount titles which do feature the season number on the final set.
Here's the list again with even more:

Mannix
The Wild Wild West*
Mission: Impossible
Mission: Impossible (1988-90)*
Hawaii Five-0
The Fugitive
Perry Mason
Star Trek*
Star Trek The Next Generation*
Star Trek Deep Space Nine*
Star Trek Voyager*
Hogan's Heroes
I Love Lucy*
The Lucy Show
Here's Lucy*

*These don't even mention "Final Season" on the front cover.
And these are only the ones I know about.

Stop picking on Paramount. And stop whining. (Yeah, I know you won't, too)
Wiseguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #96
James28

Fox orders an eight-episode seventh and final season of New Girl despite terrible ratings during its sixth season, and then Fox Home Entertainment this month releases the DVD of that seventh and final season... only to leave the season number off the packaging completely. I din't expect Fox to pull a Paramount on New Girl's seventh season, just like they did with Glee a couple of years ago. Stuff like this is why Fox is merging with Disney soon.
James28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #97
Impressions
She died the way she lived

I honestly don't see anything productive about this topic and it should be closed. To be honest with you, how this topic has sustained itself and hasn't been locked for multiple years absolutely dumbfounds me! It really is just straight up ridiculous.

What is complaining and announcing about each and every time you see a "The Final Season" appearing on DVD set going to actually do? Are you contacting these companies at all about your complaints?

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand why they're doing it. While ideally, it would be great if they put the season number on it, I believe studios think gives it marketing appeal when it says "final season," like someone previously said in this topic. If someone truly cares about the show (like a diehard fan), they're going to find out what the final season number it was or match the DVD sets up or identify what season it might be from the episode names listed on the set. It could be confusing for someone who is new to the show, but do you honestly expect someone who is new to the show to buy a final season, unless they have a special interest in that season specifically? Wouldn't they start with the final season and go chronologically from there?

About your argument that the labeling is going to influence people's buying choices? Sure, it might but you have to remember people also are going to pick and choose what seasons they want to buy, it's their prerogative, but I highly doubt it's going to be because of how it's labeled. If they choose not to buy the final season, it could because of that season itself. Some final seasons were bad in some people's opinions, and that could be it, but because it doesn't have the season number on it, they're not gonna buy? Please. A diehard fan is gonna pick up all sets, regardless.

I don't think most people think like you. It just doesn't seem logical or human nature that they would protest a show's labeling just because it doesn't say the final season's season number. Any diehard fan is not gonna protest a final season and not buy it because of how it's labeled, unless they're absolutely obsessive compulsive about it. Yeah, I said obsessive, because it really is. You're in denial if you don't call it obsessive when you're constantly worried about the labeling on the package.

Really, I understand where you're coming from and you don't need to persuade me about why you feel my points are totally invalid, but feel free to if you want, I have an open mind but I just find this whole topic to be all around super silly!
Impressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #98
James28

^^Paramount is never going to stop leaving out the season numbers on those DVDs. "Silly" is not the right word for it. This is complete bull.

You see, Scorpion was recently cancelled by the CBS network after four seasons, and that show's DVD releases are usually formatted as "Season X" rather than "The Xth Season" like many other CBS/Paramount-distrubuted shows. This applied to its seasons 1, 2, and 3, and I thought this was going to apply to season 4 as well, but no. I check the TVShowsOnDVD Facebook page, and saw that the 4th season of Scorpion is going to be labeled as "Scorpion: The Final Season" instead of "Scorpion: Season Four". I never checked the spine of that set, and the photo of the front of the set is all I got at this moment. But it just goes to show you that CBS/Paramount Home Media Distribution is never going to stop this practice (if we're even going to call this a practice), ever. And we better hope that those final seasons that had their season-numbers excluded from the sets are available on video-on-demand platforms like Netflix of Hulu.

I may get into a particular TV show and like the characters within that show, and even if I was a diehard fan of such a show, I would still be devastated at the lack of the season number on even just the spine. Marketing purposes aside, the complete lack of a season number on a TV show's packaging is just inexcusable, period.

You say this thread should be deleted? What about the other users on this forum that may want to give their input on this topic? I wish you wouldn't even suggest that.

And what if I contact the home entertainment companies about this and not get a response from them at all?

Stuff like this is why I really have to be careful about what company produces a TV show when it comes to getting into TV shows, scripted or otherwise.
James28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #99
bmasters9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseguy2 View Post
Of course, you are only talking about future releases. I've already given you a list of Paramount titles which do feature the season number on the final set.
Here's the list again with even more:

Mannix
The Wild Wild West*
Mission: Impossible
Mission: Impossible (1988-90)*
Hawaii Five-0
The Fugitive
Perry Mason
Star Trek*
Star Trek The Next Generation*
Star Trek Deep Space Nine*
Star Trek Voyager*
Hogan's Heroes
I Love Lucy*
The Lucy Show
Here's Lucy*

*These don't even mention "Final Season" on the front cover.
And these are only the ones I know about.

Stop picking on Paramount. And stop whining. (Yeah, I know you won't, too)
What about The Streets of San Francisco?
bmasters9 is offline   Reply With Quote