Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Game Shows Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Game Shows
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Family Fall 2014 Schedule; Long Island Blood & Babes Comic Con Sept. 12-14 in New York
66th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners; Lost Centric Episode of Disney Animated Series Written by Lost Co-Creator
Nick at Nite Fall 2014 Schedule with HIMYM; FXX's The Simpsons Marathon Scores for Day 1
Summer 2014 Week 13 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Every Simpsons Ever Marathon Brings FXX Big Numbers; Another Wonder Years DVD Music Update; New CBS DVD Complete Series Sets
Preview New ABC Comedy Selfie Pilot with Twitter; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of August 25, 2014)
TV Land Fall 2014 Schedule Has The Beverly Hillbillies; Eva Longoria Heads to Brooklyn Nine-Nine for Arc

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August)

Community - The Complete Fifth Season Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season Parks and Recreation - Season Six Three's Company - The Complete Series Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Series

08/05 - Californication - The Final (Seventh) Season
08/05 - Community - The Complete Fifth Season
08/05 - Mad About You - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
08/05 - The Nanny - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
08/05 - Dennis the Menace (Animated) - Lights! Camera! Menace!
08/12 - Bitten - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
08/19 - The Millers - The First Season
08/19 - The Mindy Project - Season Two
08/19 - Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season
08/19 - Parks and Recreation - Season Six
08/19 - Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door Collection
08/19 - Once Upon a Time - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
08/26 - Austin & Ally - Chasing the Beat
08/26 - Good Luck Charlie - So Long, Farewell!
08/26 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Series / Review
08/26 - Revenge - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Exclamation Alex Trebek Retiring From 'Jeopardy!'?

Is Alex Trebek retiring from "Jeopardy!"? The longtime game show host told Fox News's Chris Wallace that the thought has crossed his mind.

“Yes, I have been thinking of retiring," Trebek told Wallace in an interviewing airing on Sun., May 6 as part of "Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace." "But I’m torn because I enjoy doing the show so much. A lot of people have been telling me -- 'Alex, you’ve got to go for at least 30. You've just done 28. Now at least do two more.' So that has a nice ring to it. Put in your 30. And go help people.”

In 2010, "Jeopardy!" was renewed for four more years, keeping it on the air until 2014 and Trebek extended his deal with Sony, which seemingly aligns with his wishes of reaching 30 years.

In February 2011, Trebek hinted to Newsweek that his time with the series may be coming to a close. "I don't want to do this forever," he said.

"Jeopardy!" started in 1964 on NBC with host Art Fleming, who was with the series from 1964-1975 and 1978-1979. But when the show returned to TV in syndication in 1984, Trebek stepped in as host.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/alex-trebek-retiring-jeopardy_n_1478890.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl10|sec1_lnk2&pLid=158140

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 05-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Vahan

The story was also mentioned in The National Enquirer. That was most likely where it originated from.

Given that it had the nerve to claim that Morgan Freeman was marrying his step-Granddaughter (a story I never believed from the day I first heard it, and why anyone would believe it is way beyond me), I would not believe for a moment that Trebek is retiring anytime soon.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

When and if that day ever comes, I just hope they don't replace Alex with Ryan Seacrest!!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 05-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
James

Lol

Who's in line to replace him, Will Ferrell?
Old 05-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by James

That'd be interesting...maybe Sean Connery could be there when Alex Trebek retires...if Connery is still around.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 05-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
Hollywood Swingin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahan
Given that it had the nerve to claim that Morgan Freeman was marrying his step-Granddaughter (a story I never believed from the day I first heard it, and why anyone would believe it is way beyond me)
Perhaps it's because they look like a couple dressed up for a night out at every sighting. This is how every granddaddy and granddaughter pose, lol.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mor.jpg (242.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg morg.jpg (82.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg morgan.jpg (9.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Morgan-Freeman-Denies-Affair-with-Step-.jpg (54.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg morgann.jpg (9.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Family Ties Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
Perhaps it's because they look like a couple dressed up for a night out at every sighting. This is how every granddaddy and granddaughter pose, lol.

I agree. Those pictures speak volumes. Most grandfathers and granddaughter's don't pose together like that.

The two look like a couple. It's creepy, imo.

Family Ties The Complete Series Re-release 11/11/2014
Old 05-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
That would be so awesome.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

If Trebeck does retire, sounds like they would be better off if they just cancelled the show.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Thought 'Jeopardy!': Alex Trebek Talks Career, Mustache And Plans Exit

NEW YORK — Let's take "Breakfast" for $500: An Oh Henry! chocolate bar and a Diet Pepsi.

And here's the question: What did Alex Trebek consume a couple of hours before this breakfast interview?

"When I say `the Breakfast of Champions,' I'm serious," he jokes as he orders just coffee.

A morning routine of candy and cola might not seem strange for someone other than Trebek. But for 28 years as host of "Jeopardy!" he's blended likeability with an air of erudition and correctness. He's seemingly not the sort of guy who, at 71, might choose a wakeup menu better suited to a child whose mother's back is turned.

Trebek acknowledges the apparent contradiction, and, in his resonant, precise voice, is happy to cite another.

"People say, `You look to be in great shape for your age,' and I guess I am," he allows – "except that I keep breaking things."

There's that darned Achilles tendon, which he tore last July chasing a woman who invaded his San Francisco hotel room and filched several items.

"It's been nine months, and it still kills me when I walk," Trebek says. "And I'm constantly injuring myself. Doing work around the house, you don't notice when you injure yourself. An hour later you say, `Geez, I'm bleeding. How did that happen?'

"Except," he adds with a bit of comic timing, "if you bang your head, you notice. You should never wear a baseball cap when working in close quarters in the attic: You never see that beam above you!"

But if Trebek repairing his roof on a tottery ladder (result: a broken arm) seems out of character, so be it. In person, he is leading-man handsome in a natty gray suit, a model of calm and control, the perfect steward of TV's answer-and-question institution. (Check local listings for time and channel.)

The L.A.-based Trebek is in New York to receive a Peabody Award for electronic media, as "Jeopardy!" joins other awardees that include serious documentaries, edgy comedies and high-toned dramas.

"We're in some prestigious company," Trebek says. "But I think what makes `Jeopardy!' special is that, among all the quiz and game shows out there, ours tends to encourage learning. A lot of the stuff is trivia, but maybe a subject will come up that will arouse the viewers' curiosity and they'll want to find out more. We tell you it's OK to be bright, to know a lot of things, and to want to learn."

Certainly, the "Jeopardy!" audience (which averages 9 million daily) is rallied by each day's three contestants who confront the game board with its half-dozen categories, each of whose five answers demands the right question.

Maybe never in the show's long history was the competition fiercer, and more fun, than in February 2011, when a supercomputer named Watson humbled reigning human champs in a battle of Machine vs. Man.

"I for one welcome our new computer overlords," Ken Jennings (famed record-holder for the longest winning streak) scribbled alongside his Final Jeopardy response.

Just another learning experience for all.

"Learning something new is fun," says Trebek. "When I finish as the host of `Jeopardy!' I'm going to go up to Taft in central California. They have a small college there that teaches you about oil drilling." Whereupon he expounds on the subject at some length while pinpointing several details he wonders about. "I'd like to take a course," he says.

But wait – what about that R-word? A few weeks ago Trebek was quoted as saying he was thinking of retiring, with the explanation, "30 years has a nice ring to it."

Now he chuckles at the uproar he sparked. What's so surprising that, after 50 years in the business and 71 birthdays, he might consider calling it quits?

"Saying that I've THOUGHT about it doesn't mean that I'm DOING it," he reasons.

Trebek's path to "Jeopardy!" began in his native Canada, where he grew up in the Ontario suburb of Subdury and graduated from the University of Ottawa with a degree in philosophy.

"I had no money for my junior and senior years," he says, "and all the philosophy courses were taught in the mornings, which enabled me to get a job in the afternoons and at night to pay for my tuition."

The job he got, by chance, was at the Canadian Broadcasting Corp., which after graduation led to a full-time position as announcer, newsman and on-air host.

Then, in 1973, he headed to Los Angeles and quickly landed the host job on a new NBC daytime game show, "Wizard of Odds." Other game shows followed, sometimes more than one simultaneously: Even after winning the host job at "Jeopardy!" when it made its syndicated bow in 1984, he hosted two other game shows, "Concentration" and "To Tell the Truth."

This was a broadcasting niche he had stumbled into, but it fit him like a glove.

"My job," he says, "is to provide the atmosphere and assistance to the contestants to get them to perform at their very best. And if I'm successful doing that, I will be perceived as a nice guy and the audience will think of me as being a bit of a star.

"But not if I try to steal the limelight! The stars of `Jeopardy!' are the material and the contestants."

The production schedule calls for him to shoot five shows in a day, two days a week. On those mornings, he receives the day's cache of 305 answers and questions, which he says takes roughly two hours for him to review.

Nine hours later, the five shows are in the can.

And after 28 years and some 300,000-and-counting questions, he still loves doing it.

"What's not to love? You have the security of a familiar environment, a familiar format, but you have the excitement of new clues and new contestants on every program. You can't beat that! It's like saying, `I'm married but every day I have a new wife coming in.' You know?" He pauses. Then, invoking his wife of a quarter-century, Jean (with whom he has a college-age son and daughter), he sheepishly concedes, "That analogy's not quite right."

In any case, Trebek continues as a reassuring presence at his "Jeopardy!" lectern, his advancing age only re-enforcing his hair's distinguished gray and his image as the everyman-polymath.

The biggest change in his appearance in 28 years was the abrupt elimination of his mustache a dozen years ago.

"People still ask me, `Are you ever gonna grow the mustache back?'" he says. "It turned out to be a big deal. I've never understood that."

What set him off?

"I felt like it, completely on a whim," he says. "And I see myself doing the same thing with regard to quitting `Jeopardy!'"

For Trebek, who says his current contract runs out next season, his decision to exit "will not happen as the result of a great deal of thought beforehand. I'm just gonna come out and tell our director to leave an extra 25 or 30 seconds at the end of the game, that I want to say something.

"And I'll just say, `That's it. Thank you. Goodbye.'"

No questions asked.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...+TV+Inbound%29