Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Green Acres links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Green Acres Photo Gallery

Green Acres - The Complete First Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete First Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Second Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Third Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Third Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Green Acres

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Comedy Central Gets Friday Talk Show; The Goldbergs Actress Releases Music Video
Fox Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; FX Sets Dates for Fall 2019 Schedule
Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-24-2014, 01:08 AM   #16
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

Of course, as far as any California claims: Remember that on The Beverly Hillbillies, the Clampetts and Mr. Drysdale visited Hooterville, and Sam Drucker paid a visit to Beverly Hills. And none of these were short trips by any means, as in-state would be. Cali ruled out -- sorry comedyfreak.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:30 AM   #17
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

and once on BH the Clampetts asked Miss Hathaway to drive them to Hooterville and she said "We'd better leave now, since it'll take us most of the night."

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #18
Finnegan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
Of course, as far as any California claims: Remember that on The Beverly Hillbillies, the Clampetts and Mr. Drysdale visited Hooterville, and Sam Drucker paid a visit to Beverly Hills. And none of these were short trips by any means, as in-state would be. Cali ruled out -- sorry comedyfreak.
That's true, but they weren't exactly driving state of the art vehicles. In an old truck, it would take quite a long time to get from Pixley, CA to Beverly Hills. They would have had to go over the mountains. Imagine trying to do that in a rickety old truck!

Bakersfield, Pixley, Tulare County etc were places where Dust Bowl "immigrants" settled. You can indeed find people who have literally spent their entire lives in CA who sound like they're fresh off the bus from Oklahoma-the accent has somehow lived on in later generations.
Finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #19
Alan Brady's Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan
Imagine trying to do that in a rickety old truck!
You're not taking into account the qualities of Granny's homemade truck fuel.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:59 AM   #20
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

If you watch the episode where Hooterville's Sam Drucker visits Beverly Hills, I believe it's stated that he arrived via airplane. Not a very likely mode of transportation if Hooterville were in southern Calif...!!

Sorry, but to put it bluntly, anyone who thinks Hooterville was in CA must be on drugs or drunk. It's just not so.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:57 AM   #21
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

I read somewhere that Paul Henning purposely made it so it would be difficult to pinpoint an exact location.
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #22
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
If you watch the episode where Hooterville's Sam Drucker visits Beverly Hills, I believe it's stated that he arrived via airplane. Not a very likely mode of transportation if Hooterville were in southern Calif...!!

Sorry, but to put it bluntly, anyone who thinks Hooterville was in CA must be on drugs or drunk. It's just not so.

LOL @ On drugs or drunk!!!

I agree, I don't think Hooterville is in California either! The only thing is why they named a town near Hooterville (Pixley) after a town in California,that is near a railroad track too?

Other that that, I still go for somewhere near Southern Missouri ( Read my post on the previous page) ! Oh and I meant to say Paul Henning's wife had relatives in Missouri, not Paul Henning.
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #23
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
I read somewhere that Paul Henning purposely made it so it would be difficult to pinpoint an exact location.

Exactly! Like I just posted about naming a neighboring Hooterville town after a California town? Throwing people off track (no pun intended) not referring to the Cannon ball train track! Having people speculate that Hooterville wouldn't be in the Southern Midwest or the deep south (where is seems like it would be, judging by the characters) , but in California or somewhere else even!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #24
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

There are also communities in Kansas and Wyoming referred to as Pixley. Pixley is also the name of a township in Illinois. So a writer likely had heard the name and stole it for use on the Henning sitcoms, whether from California or not. It's very common in the U.S. for several states to share a community name. (Look at all of the places named Lakeville, for example.)

I think it's crazy to follow the Pixley angle, but I get tired of trying to convince people that the Henning shows obviously took place in the southern, midwestern U.S. states.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #25
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Another clue, that it isn't on the West Coast.

On a season 2 ep of Petticoat Junction that was on yesterday, there was a top secret air force camera that falls from an airplane flying over Hooterville ! When the pilot is explaining where it fell, he is saying that Hooterville is somewhere EAST of the Rockies !!!
Old 09-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #26
Yong Fang

My understanding is that this was where the Beverly Hillbillies were from, and Hooterville or Pixley was the county seat. Wasn't Green Acres basically The Beverly Hillbillies in reverse?
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #27
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Petticoat Junction folks and Green Acres folks were from the same place of course. A lot of the same characters played on both shows! The Douglases moved to Hooterville from NY.

My understanding was the Clampetts were from the Hills somewhere like Tennessee . And Hooterville and Pixley , I believe to be Southeastern Missouri/ Southwestern Illinois which isn't too far from Tennessee. But not right around the corner. And Pearl and Kate were distant cousins!

Green Acres had folks that came from the big city to a farming area and Beverly hillbillies had folks that came from a rural area to the city, but they weren't coming from the Hooterville/Pixley area.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:31 PM   #28
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniegirl62
My understanding was the Clampetts were from the Hills somewhere like Tennessee .
Granny (Daisy) Moses on The Beverly Hillbillies was definitely from Tennessee. She states several times that the Moses family was from the hills of Tenn. As far as the Clampetts & Bodines though, it's never specified as to the state.

I wanted to add too that Pixley was definitely a bigger town than Hooterville. It may have been stated on Petticoat Junction that Pixley was the county seat, but I can't recall. Regardless, if either is the county seat it's much more likely Pixley.

One other thing regarding Hooterville is that if you consider the crops being grown on Green Acres, they are certainly consistent with things produced in the midwest and south -- as opposed to California crops, many of which can't easily be grown in other climates.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:51 AM   #29
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Joaquin_Valley

A link you might find interesting. I never saw any grapes or oranges being grown in Hooterville!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #30
Yong Fang

But the Clampett's knew Sam Drucker and wasn't there an episode where all the cast from all three series did a Christmas episode?
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote