Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Green Acres links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Green Acres Photo Gallery

Green Acres - The Complete First Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete First Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Second Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Green Acres - The Complete Third Season

Buy Green Acres - The Complete Third Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Green Acres

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 17, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show
TBS Celebrates Seinfeld's 30th Anniversary; Netflix Renews Russian Doll for Season 2
Netflix Series Adds Rising Star to New Series; Corporate Gets 3rd and Final Season
Comedy Central Schedules Lights Out with David Spade; NBC's The Good Place to End After Season 4

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
Rezny@gmail.com

Default Worst episode(s)of "Green Acres"-

Of all the episodes of "Green Acres",there were some that were REALLY bad-"The Cow Killer"was not one of my favorites -Oliver was more irritable than usual in this episode,and Lisa and Eb did things that were out of character(by that,I mean Lisa thinking that Oliver could kill a cow,and Eb agreeing with her),as Lisa said when Oliver DEMANDED that Mr.Haney pay up or go to jail,(and Haney tried to tell Oliver a ****-and-bull story worth $500,or something like that)"I've heard it,and it's a story you don't want to hear".and the last show of the series the thankfully unsold pilot "The Ex-Secretary",which only featured Oliver and Lisa at the beginning then no more ,and it was like watching a totally different show that bore no resemblance to "Green Acres"at all.Know of any others?Feel free to post.
Rezny@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Rezny@gmail.com

And I WASN'T that enthused about "A Husband For Eleanor",either.It was strange when Mr.Haney said something about "stringing Oliver up" and Lisa (!)said "I'll go get the rope".Not funny.
Rezny@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
RWCTV
Making Sense

Default My Least Favorite Episodes of Green Acres

My least favorite episodes of Green Acres were "Hawaiian Honeymoon," with Don Porter, and his "care-free", scatter-brained teenaged daughter, and "The Ex Secretary," which was an entire episode dedicated to Oliver's ditsy, light-headed secretary. Who cares!!! It's as if these shows were pilots for a couple of spin-off series. Both episodes were in the final season (season 6).

Do you desire to know about the topics that help you and hurt you in society? Whether it is Government, religious discussion, psychology, and health, we have it all!

http://makingsense.proboards.com/

Stop in, get informed, or debate the issues. If you have something to say, this is the place. Hope that you'll join us! See you there!!!
RWCTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
jehobden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCTV
My least favorite episodes of Green Acres were "Hawaiian Honeymoon," with Don Porter, and his "care-free", scatter-brained teenaged daughter, and "The Ex Secretary," which was an entire episode dedicated to Oliver's ditsy, light-headed secretary. Who cares!!! It's as if these shows were pilots for a couple of spin-off series. Both episodes were in the final season (season 6).
They were both pilots, "backdoor pilots" specifically, which used another sitcom to introduce their own characters. Here is a link to a full article about backdoor pilots:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/tonig...-new-sh,40445/

The article mentions all the backdoor pilots that were episodes of "The Facts of Life", and I recognized two of them at the time, one of the episodes set at a boys' military school, and another introducing Jo's widowed uncle and his kids, her cousins. It also happens to mention "Hawaiian Honeymoon".
jehobden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:23 AM   #5
Lisa_Eva
Frequent Poster

That's a great list! I'm impressed that they got The Chatterbox episode in there from The Nanny. I actually kind of liked the Hawaiian Honeymoon episode. It has some redeeming qualities, for example, Lisa and Oliver are in it! But the Ex-Secretary episode is AWFUL. What, is Lisa in it for like two seconds if at all? I don't think Eb was even in it at all. It's only redeeming quality was the presence of Emmaline Henry ( a favorite of mine and Amanda Bellows from I Dream of Jeannie) but even that was probably her worst role ever.
Lisa_Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
Miss Lisa

The last episode, The Ex Secretary, is probably the worst one. Other than that, I didn't mind Hawaiian Honeymoon. The ones that annoyed me though were the ones where they acted out something else. For example, when they did that 40 Years a Farmer thing and How Hooterville was Flounded. When they show how they met isn't so bad, Wings Over Hooterville is actually one of my favorite episodes. I just don't like when they don't play themselves in an episode.

~♥~"No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it."~♥~
- Grace Slick

http://deviantrose112.posterous.com/
Miss Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:35 AM   #7
RWCTV
Making Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Lisa
The last episode, The Ex Secretary, is probably the worst one. Other than that, I didn't mind Hawaiian Honeymoon. The ones that annoyed me though were the ones where they acted out something else. For example, when they did that 40 Years a Farmer thing and How Hooterville was Flounded. When they show how they met isn't so bad, Wings Over Hooterville is actually one of my favorite episodes. I just don't like when they don't play themselves in an episode.
I agree. I think The Ex Secretary was the worst episode. One of the reasons I think Hawaiian Honeymoon falls in second place (and I'm not saying I absolutely hate the episode) is because Oliver and Lisa, the main draws of the show, are barely in it. When you watch Green Acres, you look forward to seeing the main characters. I remember when I was experiencing All in the Family for the first time (even though it was in reruns). My least favorite episode was the pilot for Maude because I wasn't familiar with the Maude spinoff at the time since I never saw it in my lifetime. When I read about Maude being a spinoff series, and when I became familiar with it and liked it when I saw it in syndication, I had an appreciation for the episode and ended up liking that "least favorite episode" a lot later. The point is, when the main characters that you love so much and tune in for have such a bit part, you are likely to feel like your time has been wasted. And I think that those two episodes of Green Acres falls in some way in that mindset.
RWCTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
Miss Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCTV
The point is, when the main characters that you love so much and tune in for have such a bit part, you are likely to feel like your time has been wasted. And I think that those two episodes of Green Acres falls in some way in that mindset.
Exactly. When the main characters aren't even in the episode, you kind of feel like you didn't even get to watch the show.
Miss Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
Steve E
Occasional Poster

Some "lesser" episodes:

The Rains Came -Season 1 - I don't care for classic TV episodes that feature "Indians".They are almost always presented in an unflattering manner,and usually aren't real Native Americans,anyway.F Troop,in particular,is truly unwatchable.

It's So Peaceful In the Country -Season 2 - More "Indians"...

Oliver and the Cornstalk - Season 5 -A weak episode that utilizes the "it was all a dream" copout.

The Beeping Rock -Season 5 - Strange...not really in a good way.

Charlie,Homer,and Natasha - Season 6 - Probably my least-favorite episode.

A Girl for Drobney - Season 6 - One "Drobney" episode was enough.

Even though I consider these episodes sub-par,I still watch them,as there are some laughs to be found.I'm not counting the two "pilots" that are vaguely disguised as Green Acres episodes.I like both of them,for what they are.Also,a couple of the "flashback" episodes are kind of weak,but I enjoy them for their departure from the norm.
Steve E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
rezny717
Forum Regular

And another one,while not really the worst episode,was not one of my favorites,although it started out really good,but ended up on a kinda flat note,which made it only so-so,and mediocre,was "Never Trust a Little Old Lady"from season two.
rezny717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Even though I think ducks are adorable. I didn't really like the Drobney episodes either. Seemed too silly and really dragged out. I also didn't like the ones where Lisa and Oliver played other people from the old days.
Bonniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #12
tlc38tlc38
Every dayís a Dolly day!
Forum Veteran

"The Ballad of Molly Turgis", "Oliver and the Cornstalk", and "The Beeping Rock" seemed almost like episodes of The Twilight Zone. Come to think of it...the whole series was like a comedy version of TTZ.

I didn't like "The Ex-Secretary" or "Hawaiian Honeymoon" and I'm not that fond of episodes where Oliver and Lisa play other characters from the old days.

Seasons 5 and 6 are the weakest links in the series. These seasons do have some great episodes but I think seasons 1-4 are the cream of the crop.

All in all, I love the whole series and I'd like to own it ALL on DVD. It's one of my favorite series!
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #13
Alan Brady's Hair

I pretty much ignore the last two episodes. Worst is probably one with the little girl Lori. A classic late-season add on kid.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #14
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

I actually liked the Molly Turgis ep!! I LOVE ghost stories , even if they are silly and on a comedy show!

Bonniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #15
tlc38tlc38
Every dayís a Dolly day!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brady's Hair
I pretty much ignore the last two episodes. Worst is probably one with the little girl Lori. A classic late-season add on kid.
I'm not too fond of the Lori episodes either but their not too bad.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote