Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Flo (Sitcoms Online) / Flo links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Flo Photo Gallery / Alice Message Board / Alice Photo Gallery

Flo - The Complete Series

Buy Flo - The Complete Series (WBShop.com) on DVD
(Amazon.com)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Flo

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 17, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show
TBS Celebrates Seinfeld's 30th Anniversary; Netflix Renews Russian Doll for Season 2
Netflix Series Adds Rising Star to New Series; Corporate Gets 3rd and Final Season
Comedy Central Schedules Lights Out with David Spade; NBC's The Good Place to End After Season 4

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #16
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
That makes sense to me now. When did Alice air?

Sunday Nights against NBC and ABC movies-lol
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:07 AM   #17
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon
Sunday Nights against NBC and ABC movies-lol

That explains why it was a hit!

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #18
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
That explains why it was a hit!

Not only that it was sandwiched in between one day at a time and the jeffersons-lol
Old 09-01-2008, 12:25 AM   #19
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Quote:
Not only that it was sandwiched in between one day at a time and the jeffersons-lol

That certainly explains everything. LOL
Old 09-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #20
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
That certainly explains everything. LOL

Flo could have been on that sunday night lineup and not treated like a STAND ALONE SHOW-lol
Old 09-01-2008, 12:49 AM   #21
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Quote:
Flo could have been on that sunday night lineup and not treated like a STAND ALONE SHOW-lol

I agree, it certainly wasn't a strong enough show to be on its own. Just like the Ropers...
Old 09-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #22
magellan333
Forum Regular

Default Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude86
But Linda Lavin's pride would have never allowed it....

Anyhoo, how would you have seen the storyline going?

Flo closes the Yellow Rose and heads back to Phoenix for a last chance with Mel? Or she gets back that hostess job she forsook in Houston?
Why go all the way back to Phoenix? She'd likely sold her trailer, said goodbye and decided she'd be moving on. To go back would have been depressing.
magellan333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:50 AM   #23
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

TV

From what I heard Linda and Polly did not get along.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #24
Chrisothebigc
Frequent Poster

"Little House On The Prarie" was a MIGHTY force to be dealt with! It also creamed "Phyllis" in it's sporadic second season, and nearly did in "Rhoda".
"Rhoda" was given another shot, but "Phyllis" just didn't have the youth demographics, and once Judith Lowry ("Mother Dexter") passed away, many viewers tuned out. Too bad. By simply giving Phyllis Lindstrom back some of her edge, I think "Phyllis" could have bounced back.

"Flo" was bounced around a lot, as was "The Ropers". Both shows had some very funny ep's, but overall, were far weaker than their parent shows. I still would like to have all of these shows on dvd.

The real problem time-slot wise for "Flo" and "The Ropers" seems to be the fact that both were so popular to start, with KILLER places in the networks line-up. Once those $$$ and ratings started to roll in, both shows were unwisely bounced around. Despite the flaws, I think both "Flo" and "The Ropers" deserved a better chance than they got. With all four shows, I feel that the writers were spread out too thin, and characterr development was
squandered.
Chrisothebigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #25
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisothebigc
"Little House On The Prarie" was a MIGHTY force to be dealt with! It also creamed "Phyllis" in it's sporadic second season, and nearly did in "Rhoda".
"Rhoda" was given another shot, but "Phyllis" just didn't have the youth demographics, and once Judith Lowry ("Mother Dexter") passed away, many viewers tuned out. Too bad. By simply giving Phyllis Lindstrom back some of her edge, I think "Phyllis" could have bounced back.

"Flo" was bounced around a lot, as was "The Ropers". Both shows had some very funny ep's, but overall, were far weaker than their parent shows. I still would like to have all of these shows on dvd.

The real problem time-slot wise for "Flo" and "The Ropers" seems to be the fact that both were so popular to start, with KILLER places in the networks line-up. Once those $$$ and ratings started to roll in, both shows were unwisely bounced around. Despite the flaws, I think both "Flo" and "The Ropers" deserved a better chance than they got. With all four shows, I feel that the writers were spread out too thin, and characterr development was
squandered.

Flo and Ropers were FORCED SPINOFFS which is why they failed. Rhoda on the otherhand was a spinoff that wasn't forced just a new opportunity for Valerie Harper.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #26
Chrisothebigc
Frequent Poster

I see your point. Still, the networks panic at sliding ratings did make them bounce the shows around too much. I remember "The Ropers" were put up against "CHiP's"!

I recall reading that the producers of "Alice" brought up a possible spin-off for Flo early on. She said she wrote a back story for Flo, most of which wasn't used. I thought "Flo" was better than "The Ropers", but it's just my opinion. I enjoy both. As Linda Lavin was more than a little miffed at Polly's popularity, it was definately "forced". It's a shame. Belle and Jolene were just fine, but the magic wasn't there anymore., in my opinion. I wonder how Lavin feels now?

I know Norman Fell refused to leave "Three's Company". He had a garauntee that he and Audra could return if the show failed, but the time limit had run out. Folks had taken to Furley, and he was cheaper than paying two salaries!

"Rhoda" and "Phyllis" might have bombed at the gate, but certainly the characters would have been returned to TMTMS. As it was, they were both fine fat hits in their first seasons.

Valerie Harper was extremely relunctant to strike out on her own, as she was very happy where she was. Nancy Walker told her: "Relax, kid. It's only television!".

I was sorry to see Joe go, as I think there were many more areas of the relationship that the writers could have explored. I'm also sorry that Ida ever left, but Walker really wanted her own show. These two events sacrificed a couple of characters I liked from Joe's construction comapny, but besides that, caused the series to lose momentum that I feel it never regained, despie some fine ep's.
Chrisothebigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #27
Frump

I even heard that Polly Holliday was offered to come back and rejoin Alice after Flo was canceled but she didn't want to.

But I think it would have been a little unfair to Celia Weston *who was already on Alice as Jolene at the time* They would have prolly had to fire her. Or maybe just kept her as a frequent guest.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #28
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

I know Diane Ladd wasn't feeling it. This was the conversation between her and Polly Holliday as Diane hugs Polly:

Diane: Goodbye, Polly.
Polly: Good luck.
Diane: (thinking) Oh my God!!! What now!!!

Those words came out of the mouth of Diane Ladd herself.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #29
Lola Crazy
Occasional Poster

Lol

I would at least like for Flo to return to Alice and star the kid on the show too.

Thank you for reminding me of Flo. I had totally forgotten about it until I read this thread. Yeah, I remember watching it and the first epsiode of it. I was living in Minnesota at the time and we had a blizzard that same evening.
Lola Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #30
Lola Crazy
Occasional Poster

Quote:
I agree, it certainly wasn't a strong enough show to be on its own. Just like the Ropers...
It's my guess that Ropers had the lowest ratings of them all!
Lola Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote