Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Flo (Sitcoms Online) / Flo links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Flo Photo Gallery / Alice Message Board / Alice Photo Gallery

Flo - The Complete Series

Buy Flo - The Complete Series (WBShop.com) on DVD
(Amazon.com)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Flo

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates
Netflix Gets Funny with Pranks with Stranger Things Star; Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba Series Gets 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 17, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

View Poll Results: Boned When...
Day 1 0 0%
Never Boned 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Question Flo Boned the Fish When...

http://www.bonethefish.com/viewtopics.php?3599

Quote:
Flo is an American sitcom which aired on CBS from 1980 to 1981. The series is a spin-off for Polly Holliday, whose portrayal of the sassy and street-smart waitress Florence Jean "Flo" Castleberry on the sitcom Alice initially struck a chord with viewers, but was cancelled at the end of its second season.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
McGillicuddy

Flo never had the chance to "bone the fish"
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

I only saw a handful of episodes but I liked what I saw. Not as good as Alice though.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

I have to give this show another chance

When I saw it years ago the quality was bad and I would like to see it in nice quality.

Can't remember the reason MEL guest starred and was in the Houston area
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:34 AM   #5
Chrisothebigc
Frequent Poster

Nevah! It's my feeling FLO would have held her own, had CBS hadn't become overconfident with the show. LITTLE HOUSE and CHiPs were series killers.

Solomon, Mel stopped in to Cow Town after a trip for Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
Chrisothebigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisothebigc
Nevah! It's my feeling FLO would have held her own, had CBS hadn't become overconfident with the show. LITTLE HOUSE and CHiPs were series killers.

Solomon, Mel stopped in to Cow Town after a trip for Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

And not sure why they became overconfident and the show had not aired a full season yet

The ratings for season 1 was not HONEST NUMBERS
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
TMC
Forum Celebrity

https://web.archive.org/web/20070225...ptheshark.com/
  • Other Thoughts:

Alice was bad enough without this spinoff.
    This is one of the worst spinoffs period. The show was never ever funny.
    From the first episode this was doomed. Flo was funny on "Alice", but a whole show about her? Who thought this would work? She should have gone back to "Alice" because all of her replacements sucked!
    Wasn't on long enough to jump. Sudie Bond (Mama) was hilarious and Lucy Lee Flippin (Fran) was funny too! Anyone who wants to diss' this show should watch the hour-long Thanksgiving episode from 1980 which IMHO is one the most perfectly written, executed episodes of any TV series. All the characters are perfectly cast, the writing is out of this world, and it has the perfect mix of humor and pathos. It comes across so natural that you feel as if you're intruding on a real-life family reunion. Must-see TV for a show that should be rerun a lot more.
    I hated Alice. Even though Flo was maybe the best character on the show (aside from Mel), she was not good enough to have her own show. All I have to say to Flo is "Kiss My Grits!"
    Loved Polly Holliday as Flo on Alice. The premise for this spinoff was terrible and the supporting characters were WORSE.
    The above poster that thought this show wasnt on long enough to jump,and was outlandishly effusive with praise for the Thanksgiving episode, must have been one of the writers and has probably been out of work since,and deservedly so. As for when this show jumped,I would have to say day one!!!!!!!!
    Polly Holiday is a very good actress, but let's face it, the idea that Flo could be the main character of a show just doesn't work. There are some supporting characters who should stay that way.
    "The Door is always open and the beer is always cold at Flo's Yellow Rose, Flo's Yellow Rose." Those lyrics still haunt me 20 years later!
    Was that Polly Holiday as the witty-wisecracking-been-there-done-that waitress whom seemed to be the only one who could put Mel in his place; playing a bar matron with bad writing?????????
    The person who was effusive about the Thanksgiving Episode was NOT one of the writers (I was and I much appreciate the kind words)... and thanks ever so much NOT to the guy who disagreed with that effusiveness, and added that the writers should deservedly be out of work since (uh, that was 20 years ago, still working so either I'm brilliant or the business sucks). I was a hired hand for this show, I never liked it very much myself - the people were great (as in nice AND talented), however, but it was just a bad idea for a spin off... however, it did extremely well in the ratings. But I would have to agree it shark jumped day one.
    "Flo" may have been one of the most highly-anticipated spin-offs of all time, but that anticipation was its high water mark. Polly Holliday and company were able to ride the intrigue to a Top 10 finish in their first season, but then the "new" wore off and the "familiar setting to unfamiliar setting" formula began to set in. Without Mel to rail against or Alice and Vera to scheme to with, Flo wasn't nearly as funny and, sadly, had kissed her grits goodbye!
    This Show from the start. Damn this was a Horrible show. Flo moved to some rinky dink town in i think Texas. Even the episode when Mel from Alice made a guest appearance was AWFUL. The only reason this show is in my collection is because i'm a Tape Trader. I don't know how this show finished #7 after it's first season.
    FLO jumped from day one. One of the most glaring example of a supporting character being spun off into their own show who should have stayed a supporting character on its mother show. Flo was perfect comic relief in small doses on ALICE but giving her her own show was a huge mistake. Despite the presence of one of my favorite character actors, Geoffrey Lewis, this show really stunk up the place and we didn't see Polly Holliday anywhere after this for a long, long time.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote