Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Movies

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

American Dad! Returns on TBS with New Episodes; Brady Bunch HGTV Series Underway
WLNY's The Odd Couple Marathon on New Year's; ABC Orders More Episodes of Most Comedies
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Conners Second Season Looking Likely; Apple to Produce New Peanuts Content
Fri-Yay: Where Will The Good Place Go Next?; Everything's Gonna Be Okay at Freeform
ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-27-2017, 03:55 AM   #1
LaBestia
Ben Bailey's Taxi Girl

Default Why do some Christmas movies get ignored on TV holiday movie marathons?

Every December when TV networks have holiday movie marathons it seems that out of all the holiday movies that get overplayed every year it seems that National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Home Alone and Home Alone 2 Lost In New York are the most popular Christmas movies ever and now it seems that other holiday movies like Prancer and Scrooged with Bill Murray are now ignored. A second holiday movie that is also overplayed is A Christmas Story and every year that TBS airs their 24 hour marathon of A Christmas Story every Christmas Eve it seems to be always a huge hit for TBS. I wish that movies like The Bishop's Wife and Irving Berlin's White Christmas would be shown more every holiday season instead of showing the same popular holiday movies during the holiday season. Has it become a habit of TV networks to recycle the popular Christmas movies for their movie marathons instead of showing the other holiday classic movies?
Bestie
Old 12-27-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

For some Christmas movies you might not be checking the right stations. White Christmas aired a few times on AMC, Miracle on 34th Street (the original) led into White Christmas for some of those airings. The Bishop's Wife aired Christmas Eve on TCM, they air more classic movies than other stations and it is commercial free. I saw Scrooged listed some, don't remember what station. If you like It's a Wonderful Life it has annual airings on USA and NBC.
FRASIER: As usual Frasier has to save the day.
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
mets82

Have you ever noticed that most movies air on certain channels? I do think that certain movies should be shown earlier. In other words, White Christmas was first shown on December 16, I believe. They should start showing it right after Thanksgiving.

I think movies should air earlier. I don't think you have to wait until Christmas Eve to see A Christmas Story.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:08 AM   #4
Tubehead

Default enought already does an christmas story need to be on 2 tv channels?

isaw scrooged with bill murry on amc couple times around christmas!! i got it on blu ray i wish tbs & tnt would stop airing christmas story every christmas its getting on my nerves now they both channels show chrsitmas story 24 hours!! how about showing like different chrsitmas movies 24 hours one year fx did 24 hour jingle all the way marathon or just show different christmas movies be better then showing the same christmas movie every chrsitmas i would rather watch charlie browns christmas special 24 hours then an christmas story!!
Tubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:28 AM   #5
IllinoisTVFan

I see White Christmas listed every Christmas and saw TCM was playing the Bishop's Wife. Also, I saw Miracle on 34th St (the original), and Holiday Inn listed as well.
IllinoisTVFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:37 AM   #6
LaBestia
Ben Bailey's Taxi Girl

Another holiday movie that gets ignored is Jingle All The Way and I can't figure out why Jingle All The Way isn't shown as much anymore but Freeform is showing a sequel called Jingle All The Way 2 with Larry The Cable Guy and I didn't know they had a sequel to Jingle All The Way until I saw it listed on Freeform and Jingle All The Way should be played more during the holidays on TV. Another holiday movie that also don't get shown much is The Christmas Shoes and when that movie came out the song and book became popular and then started a whole series of movies that get ignored on holiday movie hours that air on TV every year
Bestie
LaBestia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #7
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

Jingle All the Way airs on AMC now.
catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #8
IllinoisTVFan

Yeah they've been running it often.
IllinoisTVFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
Penny Lane
Pol- Dark and Handsome
Forum Celebrity

Two of my favorite Christmas movies from the 70's are The Homecoming and House Without A Christmas Tree. They were aired every year until the 80's then they just dropped out of sight. Thankfully they are on dvd so I still watch them every year.
Attached Images