Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Movies

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: New Sitcoms - What's Working and What's Not?; Brockmire Season 3 Brings Out the Stars
ABC Picks Up Single Parents for Full Year; Netflix Gets Tia Mowry and Loretta Devine Sitcom
Showtime Comedy Gets More Stars; Netflix Orders New Comedy from Novel Writer
NBC Sets January 2019 Lineup; Team Coco Heads to New York Comedy Festival
ABC Fall Pilot Review: The Kids Are Alright - Premieres Tuesday (Oct. 16); FX Gets New Comedy for 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Patricia Heaton Eyes a Return to TV With CBS Sitcom; VEI Announced Bad News Bears TV Series DVD Release


New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
Dude111
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 05, 2013
Posts: 5,390
Default

I often do as I have found BETTER copies of movies I have had!


Here are a few

1) Miracle on 34th street - 1947

I had a 1989 release which had macrovision on it and was slightly darker than it should be.. (I think it was digitally recorded)

I found an earlier release (1985 I think but im not sure as the sticker was gone on the tape itself (The box says 1985)) that DOES NOT HAVE MACROVISION and is brighter!! -- Looks better,more natural....

Then I found the original 1980 release by MAGNETIC VIDEO which is gorgeous...


2) Octopussy - 1983

I had a 1984 CBS/FOX release which was GOOD but then I found the FIRST RELEASE in 1983 (Also CBS/FOX) and its much better!!!!!!! -- WARMER AUDIO!!!!!!!


3) You only live twice - 1967

I had a 1990 release by MGM/UA and they had ripped it from MONO to STEREO and the video was also not the original...... I got the first 1983 release by CBS/FOX and its georgeous!! -- Warmer audio (the original mono soundtrack) and the original video....



Those are just three.......... Sometimes it pays to get dupes

Last edited by Dude111; 10-11-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #2
JamesG
Freakshow
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 39,714
Default

I sometimes collect multiple releases if I really enjoy the film or if there's something included on an older release that's not found on the newer version.

For example, The Crow (1994) is one of my all-time favorite films and I have the VHS, 2-Disc DVD and Blu-ray of the film. The VHS exclusively has Brandon Lee's final on-camera interview. The DVD had a more in-depth documentary on the film, but only featured small parts of the interview.

The 2001 2-Disc DVD included an audio commentary w/ Producer Jeff Most and Screenwriter John Shirley and the 2014 Blu-ray has a new audio commentary w/ director Alex Proyas, but didn't include the previous commentary from the DVD.





For the 1978 Halloween I have the original Anchor Bay DVD from 1997, the 1999 remastered DVD, the 25th Anniversary DVD from 2003 and the 35th Anniversary Blu-ray from 2013. They all have different documentaries, commentaries and other various features.

I also have a Media Ent. VHS from 1982 and a "Blockbuster Presents" one from 1997. So for things like this I tend to collect multiple releases.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #3
Torgo
Art by me
Forum Veteran
 
Torgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 06, 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 14,398
Default

There are some I do, mainly they're films that I consider favorites, others I end up buying various formats just to get the most uncut version of the film, or a newer version is a better release as far as quality.

The early 80's animated movie Twice Upon A Time, I have on VHS, Laser, DVD, and if it does come out on Blu Ray I'll most likely buy that. This film I got multiple versions of because it's a favorite, but also because I was trying to get the most intact version, which turned out to be the DVD as both the VHS and Laser versions were cut.

Same with the early 80's horror spoof Hysterical, the VHS was cut, and the DVD was the original theatrical release.

I do own multiple versions/formats of The Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, and Army of Darkness, some because they have special features others don't, and I just like having the various formats.

The early 80's slasher Final Exam I have on VHS, but also Blu Ray, and I have the DVD that has features that weren't included on the Blu Ray.

The Pit is another favorite that I will have on VHS, DVD, and the upcoming Blu Ray.

The early 80's horror movie Humongous I have on VHS, and DVD because the VHS was cut, plus all of the night/dark scenes were unwatchable, the DVD corrected this.
__________________
"I'm going to go do something productive. I'm gonna go watch television." - Ray Peterson, The 'burbs

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
AB
Supernatural - Dean
Forum Celebrity
 
AB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2006
Location: The South
Posts: 40,917
Default

Sometimes I get a duplicate if it's a movie I really like. I have 2 of Ghost, Dirty Dancing, Overboard, and a couple of others. It gets kind of expensive buying extra copies.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:22 AM   #5
LaBestia
Ben Bailey's Taxi Girl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 17, 2016
Location: California
Posts: 3,324
Default

I also sometimes collect doubles of movies and I got double movies of Disney's Pocahontas because I didn't have Pocahontas II Journey To A New World on DVD and then I have a double of Disney's Frozen which is the Sing Along Edition of the film and it's cool. My mom also found me National Velvet and Black Beauty in a triple pack with the original The Story Of Seabiscuit with Shirley Temple
Bestie
__________________
Ready To Take A Ride In The Cash Cab
LaBestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
Dude111
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 05, 2013
Posts: 5,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
For the 1978 Halloween I have the original Anchor Bay DVD from 1997, the 1999 remastered DVD, the 25th Anniversary DVD from 2003 and the 35th Anniversary Blu-ray from 2013. They all have different documentaries, commentaries and other various features.

I also have a Media Ent. VHS from 1982 and a "Blockbuster Presents" one from 1997. So for things like this I tend to collect multiple releases.
I first had a 1997 VHS release of halloween from VIDEO TREASURES,it was aweful.... Dark,etc...... Not the original analog movie.....

Then I got a 1985 Media release and it still was not good... Audio quite low,etc...... Then I was lucky to find the second release by media in 1979 WHICH IS GORGEOUS JIM!!!

Beautiful video and audio........

Which ones of your HALLOWEEN do you think looks

1) The cleanest
2) The most natural
3) Nicest audio


Analog is quite important to me seeing VHS is supposed to be ANALOG. I dont like digital crap transferred to analog tape!!! (Especially if the movie was originally analog)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #7
Torgo
Art by me
Forum Veteran
 
Torgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 06, 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 14,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111
I first had a 1997 VHS release of halloween from VIDEO TREASURES,it was aweful.... Dark,etc...... Not the original analog movie.....

Then I got a 1985 Media release and it still was not good... Audio quite low,etc...... Then I was lucky to find the second release by media in 1979 WHICH IS GORGEOUS JIM!!!

Beautiful video and audio........

Which ones of your HALLOWEEN do you think looks

1) The cleanest
2) The most natural
3) Nicest audio


Analog is quite important to me seeing VHS is supposed to be ANALOG. I dont like digital crap transferred to analog tape!!! (Especially if the movie was originally analog)
Video Treasures is one of the worst VHS companies, their movies, at least the ones I had were always recorded EP, so the quality was always bad, which is how they got away with their tapes being so cheap, so people would buy them. Even their covers were badly done.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
Dude111
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 05, 2013
Posts: 5,390
Default

Ya I know .. this 1997 halloween one was SP . Only one I ever had from VT that was SP!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #9
Torgo
Art by me
Forum Veteran
 
Torgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 06, 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 14,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111
Ya I know .. this 1997 halloween one was SP . Only one I ever had from VT that was SP!!
A rare thing indeed.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #10
Torgo
Art by me
Forum Veteran
 
Torgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 06, 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 14,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo
There are some I do, mainly they're films that I consider favorites, others I end up buying various formats just to get the most uncut version of the film, or a newer version is a better release as far as quality.

The early 80's animated movie Twice Upon A Time, I have on VHS, Laser, DVD, and if it does come out on Blu Ray I'll most likely buy that. This film I got multiple versions of because it's a favorite, but also because I was trying to get the most intact version, which turned out to be the DVD as both the VHS and Laser versions were cut.

Same with the early 80's horror spoof Hysterical, the VHS was cut, and the DVD was the original theatrical release.

I do own multiple versions/formats of The Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, and Army of Darkness, some because they have special features others don't, and I just like having the various formats.

The early 80's slasher Final Exam I have on VHS, but also Blu Ray, and I have the DVD that has features that weren't included on the Blu Ray.

The Pit is another favorite that I will have on VHS, DVD, and the upcoming Blu Ray.

The early 80's horror movie Humongous I have on VHS, and DVD because the VHS was cut, plus all of the night/dark scenes were unwatchable, the DVD corrected this.
For Army Of Darkness - VHS, Laser Disk, 2 versions on DVD, and now the Shout Factory Blu Ray which has 4 versions of the film (The US theatrical version with the S-Mart ending, the Director's Cut with the original post-apocalypse London ending, the International Cut, and the TV cut.)
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:45 PM   #11
Ohio8
Member
Forum Veteran
 
Ohio8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 29, 2003
Location: Wherever you aren't.
Posts: 10,292
Send a message via AIM to Ohio8 Send a message via Yahoo to Ohio8
Default

No.
__________________
"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death." -- Pink Floyd
Ohio8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #12
Schmoopie
Want to be a dreamer? Be one..
Moderator
Forum Veteran
 
Schmoopie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 13, 2008
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 12,902
Default

I sometimes buy a newer version of a favorite movie but I don't keep both. I take the other one to Half Price Books because I figured that there's probably someone out there who would enjoy the original. I'm thikning about doing that with "You've Got Mail" because my version still has that snap case and I HATE those things. They are so hard to open! However I might wait till next year because 2018 will mark the 20th anniversary of the movie's release so I'm hoping that if they release a new version it will have more extras on it.
Schmoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:19 AM   #13
Dude111
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 05, 2013
Posts: 5,390
Default

I just got a better copy of SPEED (1994) last week
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #14
Flying Dutchman
Member
Senior Member
 
Flying Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 16, 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 1,225
Default

I do sometimes. And I hate doing it too. I bought Pirates of the Caribbean 1 and 3, couldn't find 2 at the time, On DVD, standard, then a month ago found all 5 on Blueray/DVD, and bought them. I'll just donate the others to my local library.And thanks for posting that pic of You've got mail, Schmoopie. Reminded me I have to replace my copy of that movie. Bought it in 2001 it finally wore out.
__________________
Does anybody know the way to Atlantis?
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.