Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Bill Cosby Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Bill Cosby Show Photo Gallery

The Bill Cosby Show - Season One

Buy The Bill Cosby Show - Season One on DVD
The Bill Cosby Show - Season Two

Buy The Bill Cosby Show - Season Two on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > The Bill Cosby Show

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

3rd Rock from the Sun Launches on Laff in July; The CW Fall 2018 Premiere Dates
NBC Fall 2018 Premiere Dates; Season 4 of Bounce Sitcom Premieres July 2
The History of Comedy Returns to CNN; Showtime Gets First Late Night Talk Show
Showtime Gets Don Cheadle Comedy; HBO Special Directed by Jerrod Carmichael Coming Soon
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 18, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Spinoff One Step Closer to Reality; Netflix to Air New Season of Lucifer
Fri-Yay: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Finally Finds Its Best Self; All About the Washingtons with Rev Run Coming to Netflix
Paramount Network Comedy Scores in Ratings; Stan Against Evil Returns on Halloween for Season 3
WGN America Picks Up Two Original Series; Pop TV Orders New Comedy Florida Girls
Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee Returns; Canceled CBS Sitcoms Return on Saturday Nights

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)

Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season Step by Step - The Complete First Season Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Default Is It Okay To Watch Bill Cosby's Shows (or admit to it)?

Is it okay to watch any of Bill Cosby’s shows (or admit to it)? He made some good, positive television (oddly enough I’m not a fan of his biggest series, “The Cosby Show”). Because I started watching “The Bill Cosby Show” on DVD yesterday. First off I do NOT condone rape and think what he did was a horrible thing (50+ times) but I am able to separate the character from the person. And Chet Kincaid did not rape anyone… then again I’m only three episodes in, but I‘d be surprised if he did.

(1) NewsRadio (2) Community (3) Taxi (4) Cheers (5) Boy Meets World (6) The Office (7) I Love Lucy (8) Wings (9) Ellen (10) Andy Richter Controls the Universe (11) Married ... with Children (12) The King of Queens (13) Parks & Recreation (14) The Honeymooners (15) Grounded for Life (16) Newhart (17) That '70s Show (18) Rhoda (19) Night Court (20) Ned and Stacey (21) Hey Dude (22) Spin City (23) Mister Ed (24) Norm (25) The Munsters
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #2
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

You can watch whatever you want without feeling guilty. I still watch I Spy which is a great show. It's hard to watch without thinking of what Cosby did but that's just the way it is. Some can't watch anything he did and that's okay too. I've also watched the Naked Gun movies even though OJ's in them and I like a few Roman Polanski movies too. If you can separate the character from the actor than good for you. There were a lot of other people involved in these shows besides Cosby so I just look at them. lol
Old 07-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
Babalu

OK for who?

Is someone going to come to your house and fine you?

If it doesn't bother you to watch the show then what difference does it make?

There are plenty of celebrities around that have done stupid or evil things.

I usually separate it by when I found out, such as with Jane Fonda. I'll watch the movies she made in the 1960's because I saw them back when I was a kid. But I won't watch anything she does today.

There's an actor named Jeffrey Jones. I know him best from Amadeus but most people know him from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, which I never saw. 10 or 15 years ago he was arrested and plead guilty to child molestation charges. He is actually on a TV commercial currently. I can't believe anyone would hire him. But I love Amadeus and won't stop watching it because he's in it.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #4
Alan Brady's Hair

One argument I have some sympathy for is that by continuing to watch people who do awful things, one way or another you put money in their pockets that they can use to continue to fund their awfulness. As mentioned above, you have to keep in mind that other people are involved, so if you boycott one you boycott everyone involved.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Svenfan1234
Carole King = Queen of Music

Well, it depends on your point of view--for me, yes it's okay, and I'm actually considering buying the complete series of "The Cosby Show" that Mill Creek released for $27 (or around there.) Along with "The Bill Cosby Show." It seems like he was a good character on his sitcoms, but "The Cosby Show" isn't really a knee-slapper sitcom for me, I can see myself just watching it to enjoy it.
And take your soul if you let them,
Oh, but don't you let them

Carole King, You've Got a Friend
Svenfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalu
OK for who?

Is someone going to come to your house and fine you?

There's an actor named Jeffrey Jones. I know him best from Amadeus but most people know him from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, which I never saw. 10 or 15 years ago he was arrested and plead guilty to child molestation charges. He is actually on a TV commercial currently. I can't believe anyone would hire him. But I love Amadeus and won't stop watching it because he's in it.
I was just speaking generally. Like I watched a couple episodes of The Bill Cosby Show but decided not to post about it in the "What was the Last Show You Watched?" thread. It's then I decided to make this thread basically to discuss Cosby's work and see who's still able to watch it and how it affects them and in the process also mention that I watched the first few episodes of his '69 - '71 show (which I've own on DVD since it came out but had only watched a couple episodes in the past.

As for Jeffrey Jones, if he is who I think he is, I know him best from Beetlejuice and Howard the Duck. I also never saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
kclj520
Frequent Poster

I too lost a lot of respect for Cosby when all of this came out, which was unfortunate, my wife and I had seen his live show, and my Grandparents thought he was hilarious, they saw his show in Tahoe years ago. Unfortunate. I personally don't enjoy his stuff now, and don't watch him.
kclj520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!
Forum Veteran

I just feel for all the very talented actors involved in his shows. His "mishaps" have caused them to lose out on a lot of royalties.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:44 PM   #9
Hazel Anyday

No, you must hang your head in shame.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #10
king of comedy

Cosby is dead to me.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:46 PM   #11
mets82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium
Is it okay to watch any of Bill Cosby’s shows (or admit to it)? He made some good, positive television (oddly enough I’m not a fan of his biggest series, “The Cosby Show”). Because I started watching “The Bill Cosby Show” on DVD yesterday. First off I do NOT condone rape and think what he did was a horrible thing (50+ times) but I am able to separate the character from the person. And Chet Kincaid did not rape anyone… then again I’m only three episodes in, but I‘d be surprised if he did.

I have the same problem. I'm a big wrestling fan. In 2004, a promoter by the name of Rob Feinstein was caught trying to have sex with a minor. He does wrestling interviews. Now, the hard part for me and I stress about is on YouTube, people have uploaded many an interview with wrestlers that Feinstein and his company RF Video, have interviewed. Some of the documentaries on YouTube about wrestling has some of his interviews spliced in.

My question is should I watch any of those interviews and/or documentaries that are on YouTube? Now, I did buy videos from his website back in 1999. Is it ok to watch them? I did watch a little of the videos, maybe a few months ago. I did report Feinstein and the people who uploaded his interviews to YouTube but they didnt do anything. Think they said, they didn't violate YouTube rules or something. I did feel better doing something.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #12
MayberryMan
Occasional Poster

I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with watching. I think knowing things that might have really been going on at the time can sometimes hurt the watching if you can't separate the actor from the character. But I remember the show and actually liked it the best of all his shows.
MayberryMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #13
JJM
Frequent Poster

It depends if you can still look at him without wanting to trough something at you tv.
JJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #14
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

It's a very personal decision. Like Sonny and ABH said, there are a lot of other people involved in the show besides the one who did something terrible. I guess it's not a big deal for me as I never liked The Cosby Show (at all), though I did like Fat Albert. I think it would feel weird to watch it, but regardless, there are some good messages for kids in it.

However, I totally understand the "not wanting to put money in his pocket" reasoning, too.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #15
Alan Brady's Hair

I was looking at the recent thread where someone did a set of surveys covering sitcoms 1950-1980s. I thought it was interesting that The Cosby Show still finished in the top half, while The Bill Cosby Show was nearly at the bottom. I was wondering if maybe people were hammering The Bill Cosby Show as punishment, since to hate The Cosby Show penalizes everyone else attached to it, too.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote