Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Game Shows Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Game Shows

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show
TBS Celebrates Seinfeld's 30th Anniversary; Netflix Renews Russian Doll for Season 2
Netflix Series Adds Rising Star to New Series; Corporate Gets 3rd and Final Season
Comedy Central Schedules Lights Out with David Spade; NBC's The Good Place to End After Season 4
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 10, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-10-2019, 12:46 AM   #1
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

TV Update: "Jeopardy!" Contestant James Holzhauer is Out after 32 Games

"Jeopardy!" Contestant Shatters Single-Game Record with $110,914 Win
by Anita Bennett
April 9, 2019

A "Jeopardy!" contestant just beat the house in record fashion.

James Holzhauer, a 34-year-old professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, won Tuesday’s episode with a total of $110,914. That was more than enough to set a new record for single-day cash winnings, the syndicated series said in a press release.

The previous record of $77,000 was set in 2010 by Roger Craig.

I said all along that I wanted to break Roger Craig’s one-game record and I did it,” Holzhauer crowed.

Holzhauer has been on a winning streak, picking up his fourth straight victory Tuesday for a total of more than $244,000. He’ll be back Wednesday to face more challengers.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/jeopard...in-1202592445/
Attached Images

Last edited by JamesG; 06-04-2019 at 09:15 AM.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:10 AM   #2
opus
VB
Forum Veteran

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

Not mentioned in the story is he arranges his DD and FJ bets so them or the total relate to his family. For example, the total today of $110,914 is for his daughters birthdate of Nov. 9, 2014.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
AMackII

I expect James Hozhauer's winning streak on Jeopardy to be 13-24 games unless if he survives against every challenger.
AMackII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
LeeBlue
Forum Regular

That was an amazing show to watch -- a little crazy (can't imagine betting that much!!) -- but amazing!!

Looking forward to Wednesday's show!!
LeeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:05 AM   #5
LaBestia
Ben Bailey's Taxi Girl

I just saw James Holzhauer's incredible Jeopardy wins on Youtube and I thought he was a really smart guy and I can bet he will replace Ken Jennings as Jeopardy's new record holder and too bad he lost today's game by using all of today's earnings on the Daily Double question but James was so awesome. And another interesting fact about James Holzhauer that might surprise you "I was shocked at this when I discovered it" was that he first appeared on The Chase in 2014 and won too. No wonder why James looked familar to me because I love The Chase and I do remember seeing James's episode
Bestie
Old 04-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBestia View Post
I just saw James Holzhauer's incredible Jeopardy wins on Youtube and I thought he was a really smart guy and I can bet he will replace Ken Jennings as Jeopardy's new record holder and too bad he lost today's game by using all of today's earnings on the Daily Double question but James was so awesome. And another interesting fact about James Holzhauer that might surprise you "I was shocked at this when I discovered it" was that he first appeared on The Chase in 2014 and won too. No wonder why James looked familar to me because I love The Chase and I do remember seeing James's episode
Bestie
Do you remember what season and episode number of The Chase he appeared on? If I knew that I could look for when GSN will air it next on my guide, they give brief descriptions of episodes but not contestant names.
My Top 100 TV Theme Songs http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...28#post5320128
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
howierules86
Forum Veteran

^James was on The Chase on September 2, 2014. This was Season three, episode nine.

And many other very talented ladies too.
howierules86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #8
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by howierules86 View Post
^James was on The Chase on September 2, 2014. This was Season three, episode nine.
Thanks!
catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:45 AM   #9
DadTheKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBestia View Post
Bestie
Hi Bestie! I looked up when he was on the chase. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs_Kjr5lySQ Yes he was very good. What other game show should he try to play on?
DTK
DadTheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #10
GameShowFan
Occasional Poster

I wonder how original host Art Fleming would have reacted to such a big win.

Of course back during Fleming's run, the total won for that day would have been only about $5,545, but still an enormous amount.
GameShowFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #11
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

"Jeopardy!" Contestant James Holzhauer becomes Show's New Second-Highest Cash Winner
by Andy Swift
April 15, 2019

It’s probably too soon to start planning his victory parade, but congratulations are definitely in order for "Jeopardy!" contestant James Holzhauer, who is now the second-highest earner in the game’s history.

After winning his eighth consecutive episode on Monday, the 34-year-old professional sports gambler’s total earnings reached $460,479.

At this point, the only contestant to earn more than Holzhauer was "Jeopardy!" legend Ken Jennings, who took home an incredible $2,520,700 from his 74-game winning streak. (Like we said, it’s probably too early to start planning a parade.)

Prior to Holzhauer becoming the show’s No. 2 earner, that title went to Dave Madden, who earned a 19-game total of $430,400.

When I watch at home, I always root for the contestants to bet big on Daily Doubles,” Las Vegas-based Holzhauer said in a statement, attributing his success to his willingness to take big risks.

They get them right most of the time, and it can give them a big leg up on the competition. I’m proud of myself for sticking to that attitude when it was my money on the line.

Holzhauer will return to face two new contestants on Tuesday’s episode, his ninth overall. Earlier this month, he set the record for the highest single-day cash winnings when he ended the April 9 episode with $110,914.

https://tvline.com/2019/04/15/jeopar...winner-record/
Old 04-16-2019, 09:22 PM   #12
TMC
Forum Celebrity

How Jeopardy! champ James Holzhauer's background as a sports gambler helps him keep winning

Holzhauer, who on Monday became No. 2 in Jeopardy! history in total winnings behind Ken Jennings, says of using his sports gambling background: "What I do in sports betting is I look at what the typical bettor does. I look at every aspect and think, What can I do just a little bit better than the average person? If you synthesize, like, ten different things, you do one or two percent better than someone else. I would look at Daily Double wagering. What can I do that’s a little ahead of the curve? Is it better to build up your score first or try to find the Daily Double right away so no one else can have it? I like to look in the children’s section of the library to get a base of knowledge of every subject. Often the Daily Double is going to be in a subject I’m not familiar with, so I need at least some knowledge of every category. It was finding a little bit of an edge in every aspect of the game as I could."

How much damage is James Holzhauer doing to Jeopardy!'s prize budget?

Holzhauer has won $850,000 over just 12 episodes, putting him on pace to beat Ken Jennings' record $2.5 million record in less than half the 74 episodes it took to become the all-time Jeopardy! champ. So what is Holzhauer doing to Jeopardy!'s finances? “Every game show has a prize budget,” says Bob Boden, a former head of programming at Game Show Network who has worked on many game shows, including Family Feud. “Typically, for a long-running show the prize budget is determined by way of averages of what has been won in the past.” Large deviations from such averages can strain these prize budgets, he says. “James’ performance, I’m sure, is causing grief for an accountant somewhere,” says Boden. ALSO: Is Holzhauer currently America's best sports story?

James Holzhauer could become the game-changing "Serena Williams" of Jeopardy!

If Holzhauer continues dominating Jeopardy!, he will have effectively turned Ken Jennings "into Steffi Graf, a generational talent, and crowned himself Serena Williams, a centurial one," says Jeremy Samuel Faust. He adds: "How is Holzhauer doing it? The answer comes down to a combination of knowledge and strategy unseen in 35 seasons of Jeopardy! This is what sets Holzhauer apart from the show’s approximately 14,000 previous contestants. Until now, no player has come close to having Jennings’ memory bank, capable of providing more than 40 correct responses in a single episode, while also having such high command of the game’s strategy. Jeopardy! is not merely a trivia contest decided by who gets the highest number of clues correct. Equally important to ringing in with a correct question (yes, Jeopardy! clues remain answers in search of questions, a gimmick that will live on for as long as the show does) is the ability to work the board." ALSO: Will James Holzhauer actually beat Ken Jennings' Jeopardy! record?

Last edited by TMC; 04-22-2019 at 04:24 PM.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #13
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Record-Breaking "Jeopardy!" Champion Continues Streak with Over $1 Million in Wins
by Nick Romano
April 24, 2019

"Jeopardy!" contestant James Holzhauer managed to accomplish more in 14 days than most government officials. Hiyo!

After breaking the single-game winnings record not once, but twice, the professional gambler from Las Vegas now holds more than $1 million in total earnings after 14 appearances on the game show.

First, he won $110,914 in a single game on April 9, breaking the previous record of $77,000. Then he broke his own single-day record by winning $131,127 on April 17.

Holzhauer now maintains his total season winnings at $1,061,554.

That puts him in second place for highest winnings in regular-season play behind Hall of Famer Ken Jennings, who holds that record with $2,520,700.

Brad Rutter then holds the record for all-time winnings (including tournaments) with $4,688,440.

My goal was just to be less nervous than the other players,” Holzhauer told the Associated Press. “Whenever I felt overwhelmed, I snapped my fingers three times and pictured a fun snow festival with my daughter.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/24/jeopard...uer-1-million/
Old 04-25-2019, 03:18 AM   #14
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Why James Holzhauer is bad for Jeopardy!: His domination makes for deadly dull TV

Holzhauer joined Ken Jennings on Tuesday night in becoming the second player to cross the $1 million mark. He also is now in fourth place in all-time Jeopardy! wins. But according to Daniel D'Addario, Holzhauer's domination is bad for the game. "If every episode is a blowout in which two of three contestants are basically never competitive, does that not grow uninteresting over time?" he asks, pointing out that there is a "show" aspect to game shows. "Holzhauer’s run is a thrilling achievement, and deadly dull television," says D'Addario. "Jeopardy!’s inherent appeal is the story it tells of competition — comebacks, falls from the top, surprise reversals of fortune, all of which speak to the manner in which people respond under pressure. A person who has basically no response to pressure thanks to his demeanor and his professional experience is either perfect casting for a show like this, or, perhaps, a less-than-edifying companion through weeks and weeks of episodes that have lost a certain fundamental crisp interest. A steady march that goes the same way each episode evokes not the heady cut-and-thrust of a game well played but the dreary awareness that a game show, just like all other aspects of life in the late 2010s, can be optimized." ALSO: Does it matter if Holzhauer broke Jeopardy!?
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #15
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

James Holzhauer Delivers "Jeopardy!’s" First Ratings Winning Streak since Ken Jennings
by Nellie Andreeva
May 9, 2019

Week 4 of James Holzhauer’s streak on "Jeopardy!" (4/22 - 4/28) drove the quiz show to a second consecutive weekly win over all syndicated programming, including perennial champ "Judge Judy".

"Jeopardy!" averaged a 7.5 household rating and 12 million total viewers, up +12% in households and +27% in total viewers from the previous week and logging the show’s most watched week in 14 years, since the week of 3/7/2005.

Appropriately, this was "Jeopardy!'s" #1 finish for two consecutive weeks in 14.5 years, since the week of 9/6/2004 and the week of 9/13/2004, during Ken Jennings’ streak.

Holzhauer snagged his 22nd "Jeopardy!" win on Friday for a total of $1,691,008 to date. He is chasing current "Jeopardy!" record holder in consecutive wins, Jennings, who won 74 times in a row, for a $2.5 million haul.

Holzhauer is currently sidelined for the annual Jeopardy! Teachers Tournament. He’ll return May 20th to try and extend his streak.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/james-h...gs-1202610592/