Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube


Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show
TBS Celebrates Seinfeld's 30th Anniversary; Netflix Renews Russian Doll for Season 2
Netflix Series Adds Rising Star to New Series; Corporate Gets 3rd and Final Season
Comedy Central Schedules Lights Out with David Spade; NBC's The Good Place to End After Season 4
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 10, 2019)


New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2019, 10:57 PM   #1
Guardian
Member
Forum Regular
 
Guardian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 19, 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 470
Default Updates that P*ss You Off

So binge watching some episodes on Amazon. Iíve had this thought before, but it seems to me that there are a fair amount of updates that are just ridiculous. Some of them I can just feel my blood pressure skyrocketing as I hear/read them.

It seems like many of the updates are like this:

ďSo and so was caught and convicted of murdering 29 people in cold blood and making funny hats out of their victimís skins. They were also charged with harassment for sending threatening letters to the victimís families and trying to extort money from them. The killer was reported to say that they will kill again if they are let out of prison. A psychologist from the state also gave the opinion that the killer would indeed kill again if given the chance. The killer stood up in court and threatened to kill and eat the judge, jury and everyone in the courtroom if he got the chance. He was convicted and given 35 consequtive life sentences without the possibility of parole. They have since been released.Ē

Released!?! Seriously?

Obviously Iím exaggerating, but there are many cases where the killer should have gotten life without parole but are now out walking the streets. One off the top of my head that I still canít figure is the killer (and yes, Iím saying killer) of Annie Laurie Hearin. The POS that was convicted of kidnapping her didnít get life because they had no proof she was dead. Come on. What did they think happened to her? He kidnapped her but then let her go and she just decided to do what law enforcement says all missing people on UM do, they just decided ďto walk away and start a new lifeĒ. Ridiculous. That guy should have been executed as far as Iím concerned.

Anyone else notice how many ďthey have since been releasedĒ updates there are for people who should never have been released?
__________________
For every mystery there is someone, somewhere, who knows what happened. Perhaps... it's you...
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:32 AM   #2
Labonte18
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 28, 2018
Posts: 155
Default

The only one that stands out in my mind.. And.. Once again, you all will have to help me with the names. Guy was a cop and murdered the woman who lived in his duplex who he was also apparently dating..

Greg Webb, that's it... Still, he wound up serving 9 years.

but.. Alot of these cases are 25 years old. Even someone sentenced to 25 to life is up for parole now or close to it.
Labonte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic
Senior Member
 
1990 UM fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 14, 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 2,063
Default

Didn't the guy who killed Dede Rosenthal get released after a short sentence?
__________________
Join my Unsolved Mysteries page (Facebook): http://www.facebook.com/pages/Unsolv...899616?sk=wall
1990 UM fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:23 AM   #4
Garfunkel'sGhost
Member
Occasional Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 21, 2016
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 20
Default

I can't remember the mans name offhand, but he went missing at an intersection in the middle of nowhere. His jeep was found running with the door open and stuff strewn about on the ground. There was an extensive search of the area that turned up nothing.

Update reveals his skeletal remains were found fairly close to where the jeep was abandoned....determined he died of natural causes.

WHAT?!?!?!? How did they miss him in the initial search?....and natural causes? It just didn't make any sense and drives me crazy that there isn't more info!
Garfunkel'sGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
TSMIV
Member
Frequent Poster
 
TSMIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 29, 2018
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 184
Default

The police detective Charlie Mule (I think that's the name) in Slidell, LA who only got 7 years for molesting 6 girls. Plus, he faked his suicide on the morning of his trial and was a fugitive for years!
TSMIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
dynoguy88
Member
Senior Member
 
dynoguy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 01, 2000
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,856
Default

Ever since the segments got loaded to Amazon, that's been my feeling as well. I'm sick of reading about all these horrible people who did horrible things being released. A few off the top of my head...

Ryan Love - Stabbed Lucie Turmel 17 times in the face and neck so he could steal her 130 dollars worth of taxi cab earnings and flash the money to impress his relatives at an upcoming family reunion, which he happily did. He spent 19 years in prison and was quoted as having the time of his life in the prison theater group. He was released in 2011. When he was released, he said he did a very bad thing and would never do it again...which sounds more like a teenager confessing to his parents about skipping class.

Richard Minns - Ordered the attempted murder of Barbara Piotrowski, on top of setting her up to be arrested through lavish gifts he had given her and then claiming she had stolen them. Stalking and harassment. Fled the country when the men he hired to kill Barbara were arrested. His punishment was a four-month sentence and he was fined $100,000. He died in 2016.

Paul Stamper - This guy...there are no words. While married to Theresa, he was arrested and charged with assault and battery on his wife a total of five times. Every time, the charges were dropped and he bragged to Theresa that he was paying off the authorities. Paid a hit-man to break in to Theresa's house and stab her (he ended up stabbing her friend who was house-sitting.) Endless counts of harassment including shooting out her bedroom window. Attempted murder on Theresa's boyfriend, Chris. Kidnapping Theresa and holding her at gunpoint for two days. Escaping prison. Originally given a 35 year prison sentence, he was released on parole after just 10 years in prison. He has been a free man since 2002!

Maybe if Chris had not survived being shot, Stamper would still be in prison?
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
Guardian
Member
Forum Regular
 
Guardian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 19, 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan View Post
Didn't the guy who killed Dede Rosenthal get released after a short sentence?
Actually as far as I know that guy is still doing time. There was a bit of a circus surrounding his confession and recanting of though. In the end he was found guilty and is still serving time. However, he did murder someone else too.
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #8
Guardian
Member
Forum Regular
 
Guardian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 19, 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The only one that stands out in my mind.. And.. Once again, you all will have to help me with the names. Guy was a cop and murdered the woman who lived in his duplex who he was also apparently dating..

Greg Webb, that's it... Still, he wound up serving 9 years.

but.. Alot of these cases are 25 years old. Even someone sentenced to 25 to life is up for parole now or close to it.
Agreed. Sadly, this is exactly what Iím talking about. And I get the 25 years to life thing and the time that has passed. But I am referring to cases with either extreme gruesomeness to the crime, multiple murders, or ones where the killer was caught somewhere in the last decade or so. Many of these people are out already and really shouldnít be. Many began serving a 25- life and got out early after only a few years. Yet those like Michael Scott Martin (guilty or innocent, I honestly donít know) who they made absolutely certain served at least the minimum amount of time they were sentenced to. I know each case is different and that certain circumstances may lead to the end results, but some of these are just dumb.
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #9
Guardian
Member
Forum Regular
 
Guardian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 19, 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88 View Post
Ever since the segments got loaded to Amazon, that's been my feeling as well. I'm sick of reading about all these horrible people who did horrible things being released. A few off the top of my head...

Ryan Love - Stabbed Lucie Turmel 17 times in the face and neck so he could steal her 130 dollars worth of taxi cab earnings and flash the money to impress his relatives at an upcoming family reunion, which he happily did. He spent 19 years in prison and was quoted as having the time of his life in the prison theater group. He was released in 2011. When he was released, he said he did a very bad thing and would never do it again...which sounds more like a teenager confessing to his parents about skipping class.

Richard Minns - Ordered the attempted murder of Barbara Piotrowski, on top of setting her up to be arrested through lavish gifts he had given her and then claiming she had stolen them. Stalking and harassment. Fled the country when the men he hired to kill Barbara were arrested. His punishment was a four-month sentence and he was fined $100,000. He died in 2016.

Paul Stamper - This guy...there are no words. While married to Theresa, he was arrested and charged with assault and battery on his wife a total of five times. Every time, the charges were dropped and he bragged to Theresa that he was paying off the authorities. Paid a hit-man to break in to Theresa's house and stab her (he ended up stabbing her friend who was house-sitting.) Endless counts of harassment including shooting out her bedroom window. Attempted murder on Theresa's boyfriend, Chris. Kidnapping Theresa and holding her at gunpoint for two days. Escaping prison. Originally given a 35 year prison sentence, he was released on parole after just 10 years in prison. He has been a free man since 2002!

Maybe if Chris had not survived being shot, Stamper would still be in prison?
Now weíre talking. Yes! This is exactly the kinds of cases I was referring to. I just couldnít recall specific ones at the time so I just made a general post at first. These are so irritating to see updates like this
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #10
flytrapp
Member
Forum Regular
 
flytrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 03, 2011
Location: Circleville
Posts: 415
Default

Eileen Mangold: They caught the guy, but because of conflicting testimony and the fact that the jury didn't understand DNA evidence, the guy walked!!!!
flytrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
Labonte18
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 28, 2018
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
Agreed. Sadly, this is exactly what Iím talking about. And I get the 25 years to life thing and the time that has passed. But I am referring to cases with either extreme gruesomeness to the crime, multiple murders, or ones where the killer was caught somewhere in the last decade or so. Many of these people are out already and really shouldnít be. Many began serving a 25- life and got out early after only a few years. Yet those like Michael Scott Martin (guilty or innocent, I honestly donít know) who they made absolutely certain served at least the minimum amount of time they were sentenced to. I know each case is different and that certain circumstances may lead to the end results, but some of these are just dumb.
Remember also that the "Truth in Sentencing" reforms didn't come around until the mid 90's or so. Someone sentenced to 10 years for a violent crime in 1990 might do 2 years and then be released on parole.

Same person sentenced now, usually does 8 1/2 years.

Of course, some of these same laws are why an 18 year old is on a sex offender registry for life because he was sleeping with his 16 year old girlfriend on his birthday. It was legal for them to have sex on Tuesday, but not Wednesday.

So.. This goes both ways.
Labonte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #12
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic
Senior Member
 
1990 UM fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 14, 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 2,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytrapp View Post
Eileen Mangold: They caught the guy, but because of conflicting testimony and the fact that the jury didn't understand DNA evidence, the guy walked!!!!
This one made me mad too. They had the evidence but totally screwed matters. No justice for Eileen. ☹
1990 UM fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #13
Guardian
Member
Forum Regular
 
Guardian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 19, 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytrapp View Post
Eileen Mangold: They caught the guy, but because of conflicting testimony and the fact that the jury didn't understand DNA evidence, the guy walked!!!!
Agreed. What gets me is that they had fingerprints and DNA. I am by no means an expert, but in 2000, when the trial took place, I certainly knew enough to understand roughly how DNA worked and unless it was just presented in a completely incompetent manner (or mishandled by authorities) I donít understand how they could still let this guy go.

Also, hello, fingerprints. They had his fingerprints in and on her car, presumably in blood the way I understand it. How did that guy walk? Hopefully a bus hits him or something.
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #14
Labonte18
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 28, 2018
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
Agreed. What gets me is that they had fingerprints and DNA. I am by no means an expert, but in 2000, when the trial took place, I certainly knew enough to understand roughly how DNA worked and unless it was just presented in a completely incompetent manner (or mishandled by authorities) I donít understand how they could still let this guy go.

Also, hello, fingerprints. They had his fingerprints in and on her car, presumably in blood the way I understand it. How did that guy walk? Hopefully a bus hits him or something.

well.. Trust me, I think this guy did it. However.. Let's paint a picture so far as the fingerprints. You are at a convenience store and talking to one of your friends. You say goodbye and hop up off the curb and stumble and stick your hand out on someone's car to brace yourself. That person, 20 minutes later, is found dead in a ditch. Plausible explanation for your fingerprints being there, and it's such a throwaway thing that you might not even recall that stumble. I haven't seen that the prints were in blood, but..

Now.. They were going after him for the killing.. And the fact that they found his DNA on her via semen, and he denied having sex with her.. That's hard to get past. If he had said "yeah, we had sex, it was consensual, she was alive when I left".. This would be a much more difficult case.

It seems to me, reading up on it, that the "eyewitness effect" actually HURT the chances of a conviction in this case. Because two eyewitnesses description of the abductor were wildly different from the accused. They said he had long hair and the defense produced pictures showing him having been nearly totally bald since the 80's. And they said it was a young guy, and Smith always looked much older than he was.

Couple that with the fact that the "CSI Effect" didn't really start until 2000. Remember, they had DNA on OJ, too.

I somewhat understand it. Don't agree with it, especially with 19 years of extra knowledge about DNA, but.. I can see how at the time the conflicting eyewitness testimony, which we keep learning is more and more unreliable, caused the jury to have reasonable doubt.
Labonte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #15
Guardian
Member
Forum Regular
 
Guardian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 19, 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
well.. Trust me, I think this guy did it. However.. Let's paint a picture so far as the fingerprints. You are at a convenience store and talking to one of your friends. You say goodbye and hop up off the curb and stumble and stick your hand out on someone's car to brace yourself. That person, 20 minutes later, is found dead in a ditch. Plausible explanation for your fingerprints being there, and it's such a throwaway thing that you might not even recall that stumble. I haven't seen that the prints were in blood, but..

Now.. They were going after him for the killing.. And the fact that they found his DNA on her via semen, and he denied having sex with her.. That's hard to get past. If he had said "yeah, we had sex, it was consensual, she was alive when I left".. This would be a much more difficult case.

It seems to me, reading up on it, that the "eyewitness effect" actually HURT the chances of a conviction in this case. Because two eyewitnesses description of the abductor were wildly different from the accused. They said he had long hair and the defense produced pictures showing him having been nearly totally bald since the 80's. And they said it was a young guy, and Smith always looked much older than he was.

Couple that with the fact that the "CSI Effect" didn't really start until 2000. Remember, they had DNA on OJ, too.

I somewhat understand it. Don't agree with it, especially with 19 years of extra knowledge about DNA, but.. I can see how at the time the conflicting eyewitness testimony, which we keep learning is more and more unreliable, caused the jury to have reasonable doubt.
All fair enough, but it seems to me that the prosecution must have dropped the ball on this though. Even if the jury wasn’t as enlightened as folks are these days, I find it hard to believe that this one got away. But it definitely stands as a prime example of my point with the original thread. When binge watching, I find it incredibly infuriating that some cases have the perpetrator out in a short time and others with much lighter offenses are still locked up or served their time in full. IMO, there is no excuse for someone convicted of 1st degree murder getting out early on parole while someone who has a much lighter offense such as armed robbery does a full 25 or 30 years.

I’m not trying to advocate robbery or any lesser offense, but one is murder, the other is not. So I cringe when I see some of the updates at times. I imagine myself randomly running into them in an elevator one day.

“So, you killed that guy and got on Unsolved Mysteries huh?”
“Yeah”
“Hmm, so, got out early huh?”
“Yep”
“So, did prison help? Are you reformed now?”
“Nope”
“Wow, oh , I’m sorry, what floor did you want again?”
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 AM.


Frequently Asked Questions

1) How do I contact Unsolved Mysteries with information on segments?

If you any information on cases, you can contact them via:

Website: www.unsolved.com

Contact form on official Unsolved Mysteries site

Please note that their old mailing address and 1-800 phone number no longer work.


2) Where can I watch Unsolved Mysteries?

Lifetime

Lifetime Schedule / Lifetime Site

Escape Schedule / Escape Site


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.