Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Game Shows Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Game Shows

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Comedy Central Gets Friday Talk Show; The Goldbergs Actress Releases Music Video
Fox Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; FX Sets Dates for Fall 2019 Schedule
Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default ABC reviving more classic game shows: Press Your Luck and Card Sharks

https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/pres...boots-abc.html

The 1980s classic game shows are set to join ABC's increasingly crowded primetime game show lineup that already includes Celebrity Family Feud, To Tell the Truth, The 100,000 Pyramid and Match Game. Press Your Luck originally aired on CBS from 1983 to 1986. Card Sharks aired on NBC from 1978 to 1981 and CBS from 1986 to 1989. It was also brought back as a syndicated show. ABC has yet to announce a premiere date for both game shows.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:09 AM   #2
LaBestia
Ben Bailey's Taxi Girl

Press Your Luck is one of my favorite game shows and I hope that this new version does justice to the original Press Your Luck when ABC debuts this new version soon. I also hope they use the hand drawn versions of The Whammies and not use computer animated Whammies like the GSN remake Whammy had. I also wonder who will host this new Press Your Luck when it debuts too? But I have a 50/50 chance that ABC will most likely choose Todd Newton to be the host because he's such a Press Your Luck fan. I also wonder why they have chosen to remake Card Sharks because even though it's a classic game show ABC will most likely make it like the short-lived 2000's version with Pat Bullard and most likely pick a comedian to host it but it sure seems that ABC's summer game show lineup grows to add more remakes of game shows
Bestie
Old 03-14-2019, 05:04 AM   #3
AMackII

Because of these(reboots of Press Your Luck & Card Sharks), The Gong Show remake will quitely get canceled before the 2019 edition of ABC’s Summer Fun & Games Get Started.

Last edited by AMackII; 04-26-2019 at 01:47 AM.
AMackII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:36 PM   #4
DadTheKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBestia View Post
Press Your Luck is one of my favorite game shows and I hope that this new version does justice to the original Press Your Luck when ABC debuts this new version soon. I also hope they use the hand drawn versions of The Whammies and not use computer animated Whammies like the GSN remake Whammy had. I also wonder who will host this new Press Your Luck when it debuts too? But I have a 50/50 chance that ABC will most likely choose Todd Newton to be the host because he's such a Press Your Luck fan. I also wonder why they have chosen to remake Card Sharks because even though it's a classic game show ABC will most likely make it like the short-lived 2000's version with Pat Bullard and most likely pick a comedian to host it but it sure seems that ABC's summer game show lineup grows to add more remakes of game shows
Bestie
Hi, Bestie! I hope PYL ua as good as the original. Not just a copy with better looking wammies! But I bet even PYL will have a comedian as a host. They think comedians make the best hosts now days. They would be right if the comedian was funny. What comedian do you think would make a good PYL host?
DTK
Attached Images

DadTheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
funky-rat
Zit Remedy Groupie
Frequent Poster

I was never a huge fan of Press Your Luck (I liked it at first, but it was repetitive, and a lot of the game play is passive, so there isn't a lot of opportunity to play along) and am probably one of the few who liked the later remake better.

I did like the Jim Perry years of Card Sharks. HATED the Bob Eubanks years - just proof that a host, and small tweaks in the game play can wreck the flow of a show for people.

"NO!! Your ages COMBINED would not make you old enough!"
funky-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:50 AM   #6
AMackII

We know Joel McHale will be tapped as the host of the Card Sharks reboot but the host of the Press Your Luck reboot on ABC has yet to be revealed.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #7
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMackII View Post
We know Joel McHale will be tapped as the host of the Card Sharks reboot but the host of the Press Your Luck reboot on ABC has yet to be revealed.
Elizabeth Banks to host ABC's Press Your Luck reboot

Banks' updated version of the classic game show Press Your Luck will debut on ABC's primetime lineup on June 12, along with Joel McHale's updated version of Card Sharks. “Elizabeth Banks is exactly the type of woman we want on ABC – she’s a big star who’s smart, strong and funny,” ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke said in a statement. “She has everything we need as the host of Press Your Luck, one of our signature summer game shows. If anyone can ride herd on the Whammy, it’s Elizabeth!”
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #8
Duster76
Frequent Poster

You said:

"I did like the Jim Perry years of Card Sharks. HATED the Bob Eubanks years - just proof that a host, and small tweaks in the game play can wreck the flow of a show for people".

Great comment, I think the difference between the two, Perry allowed the game and the contestants to be the center of attention, Eubanks saw himself as the star of the show.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #9
AMackII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
Elizabeth Banks to host ABC's Press Your Luck reboot

Banks' updated version of the classic game show Press Your Luck will debut on ABC's primetime lineup on June 12, along with Joel McHale's updated version of Card Sharks. “Elizabeth Banks is exactly the type of woman we want on ABC – she’s a big star who’s smart, strong and funny,” ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke said in a statement. “She has everything we need as the host of Press Your Luck, one of our signature summer game shows. If anyone can ride herd on the Whammy, it’s Elizabeth!”
TMC, thanks for the update about the PYL Reboot, I hope Elizabeth Banks will do good at it.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #10
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Location: I'm just a slightly overweight boy from Cleveland Ohio!
Oh No

I won't doubt that What's My Line? and Concentration will be revamped and on ABC.

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #11
Edward216

Elizabeth Banks? No thanks I'll skip it.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote