Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #31
bandonurse
Forum Regular

As I mentioned before, my guess is that Bea didn't so much hate Betty, as she was jealous of her. And I doubt she had to force herself to join her for lunch.

Going to lunch with Betty White would not be an act of sacrifice or generosity, it would be a joy. She's a delightful person. I'd be thrilled to have lunch with her any day.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #32
king of comedy

Me too.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #33
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandonurse
I think she felt she was more of an actress than Betty. Mom came from Broadway.

In other words, she was a colossal snob.

"Betty starred on a game show at one point"? At one point?

Are you freakin' kidding me? Betty White starred in two television shows in the early days of TV. Life With Elizabeth and Date With the Angels. She has done numerous motion pictures. (How many movies was Bea Arthur in?) And she was a FAVORITE guest on so many early television shows even Betty herself probably can't remember them all.

And since when does "coming from Broadway" justify calling someone "the c word" or giving her own son the impression that she was "more of an actress" than she was? Let's face it. She mistreated Betty. She mistreated Estelle Getty, and she mistreated an entire Broadway audience one night just because she got drunk.

Nice try, Matthew. I get it..you loved your mother. But you just provided more proof to the rumor that she was a bee-otch, without meaning to.

Agreed! No disrespect to him but if he is going to summarize Betty's Resume, then get the details. She did more than game shows. Betty had been in the industry close to 70 years (possibly even more). Bless his heart.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:52 AM   #34
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandonurse
As I mentioned before, my guess is that Bea didn't so much hate Betty, as she was jealous of her. And I doubt she had to force herself to join her for lunch.

Going to lunch with Betty White would not be an act of sacrifice or generosity, it would be a joy. She's a delightful person. I'd be thrilled to have lunch with her any day.

Bea and Betty had two very different personalities. Bea was a natural pessimist and low key, while Betty is a natural optimist and high energy. Betty seemed to be of the opinion of working hard but having fun while working, while Bea seemed more like she wanted things to be very serious.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #35
Cheesecake101
Frequent Poster

I always imagined that the reason the actresses didn't get along was because they had opposite personalities. Betty was more upbeat and optimistic while Bea often times came across as a downer. But they were able to play the part of being best friends as Rose and Dorothy very convincingly. A truely good actor makes you believe their characters are real no matter what.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #36
bandonurse
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesecake101
But they were able to play the part of being best friends as Rose and Dorothy very convincingly. A truely good actor makes you believe their characters are real no matter what.

Absolutely. I've always admired how each of the four women played their characters. I just don't like what I've heard about Bea in real life. Makes me sad that someone blessed with such a privileged life couldn't just relax, be grateful, and enjoy it.

The incident described by Adrienne Barbeau when Bea disrupted a Broadway play with a drunken rant to demean the cast just further demonstrated that she needed to feel superior to others at all times. So her anger wasn't confined to just Betty.

As far as I know, no one else has had anything negative to say about Betty. At least, publicly. That's quite remarkable for someone who's been in Hollywood for over 70 years!
Old 07-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #37
KatieAnn
Frequent Poster

If Bea had "drunken rants" then perhaps she had a problem with alcohol. That would put a different spin on her personality "flaws."

I don't mind that Bea played tough abrasive characters and that this quality was a part of her real personality. She sounds like somebody who didn't like anybody very much, and maybe she was too consumed with her own life and issues to bother with other people, and so she came off as not liking them - Betty included.

I bet that if you are somebody who is introverted and needs peace around her that having someone who is supposedly always cheerful would end up being a nuisance. Maybe Bea just preferred to be around people who were more mellow.