Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Memorial Day 2017 TV Marathons
Final Week of 2016-17 Season TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Renews Trial & Error; Three Cast Members Exit Saturday Night Live
HBO Renews Veteran Comedies for 2018; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of May 29, 2017)
Saturday Summer-thons Return to Antenna TV; Comedy Central Orders More The President Show
The Cosby Show Returns to TV One; Investigation Discovery Investigates Bill Cosby
Antenna TV's Summer & Surf Gidget Marathon; New Leah Remini Special on A&E on Memorial Day
black-ish Spin-off college-ish Coming to Freeform; NBC Picks Up 2nd Season of Trial & Error
Week 35 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)

Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season Father Knows Best - Season Five The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season ALF - The Complete DVD Collection The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series

04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default So was this the reason the spinoff-"Golden Palace" failed?

Because the leader Dorothy was no longer invovled and the remaining 3 became unwatchable?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

I don't know, but didn't they also change networks?

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 05-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
I don't know, but didn't they also change networks?

Yeah the new network was CBS
Old 05-31-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLifeAdjuster
Yeah the new network was CBS
Thought so. Thanks, Sol.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
HuntingtonM15
Forum Veteran
#bestpicture

Yes, it was because Dorothy wasn't there, but it's not because she was the "leader." I think the show would have been unbalanced had any of the girls not participated.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

Although the three remaining actresses still had great chemistry together, without Bea Arthur and the fact that the entire premise of the show changed to a hotel location just didn't mesh with fans of the original series.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:19 AM   #7
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingtonM15
Yes, it was because Dorothy wasn't there, but it's not because she was the "leader." I think the show would have been unbalanced had any of the girls not participated.
I think so, too.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
factsoflife

I think it had more to do with the fact the writing wasn't as good on Golden Palace. it lacked the heart of the original show. I think the absence of Susan Harris on the writing staff also hurt the show.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
browneyes106

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsoflife
I think it had more to do with the fact the writing wasn't as good on Golden Palace. it lacked the heart of the original show. I think the absence of Susan Harris on the writing staff also hurt the show.

I agree the writing wasn't great on the Golden Palace.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
JL82
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sTrivia
Although the three remaining actresses still had great chemistry together, without Bea Arthur and the fact that the entire premise of the show changed to a hotel location just didn't mesh with fans of the original series.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I've watched a few episodes of Golden Palace now, and don't think there's anything so terribly wrong with Golden Palace as a show, taken by itself. I just don't feel like I'm watching the same people I "got to know" in Golden Girls. Rose's character changes are admittedly for the better in some ways. Stan faking his death to escape the IRS I can almost reconcile with Golden Girls. I mean, in GG he did try to get Sophia to fake paralysis, to trump up a lawsuit.

Miles two-timing Rose and not knowing who to choose? Hardly the same character. The guy had his faults in GG, (and if I were Rose I would have asked a lot more questions about how 'involved' he was with the Cheeseman) but he (Miles/Nick) jumped out of a plane and broke out of the witness protection program for her. It would have worked a little better if Mid-Winter Night's Dream had been the last GG appearance of Miles. There they wrote him a whole speech about not being sure he could live with Rose's little ways every day - and I thought that sounded off from the rest of the series, too.

Plus, I don't think the whole basic premise of the friendships works as well when two members of the circle are these guys (Roland and Chuy) that Blanche and Rose and Sophia just met.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
ratherbwatchinGG
Frequent Poster

I too would agree but Dorothy was my favorite character so I knew I didn't even watch GP because of that.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #12
magellan333
Forum Regular

Did they still use the house set from Golden Girls on Golden Palace or had the home been sold so the hotel could be opened/operated? I never saw this show.

Last edited by magellan333 : 09-08-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
GeorgiaboyJeff!
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan333
Did they still use the house set from Golden Girls on Golden Palace or had the home been sold so the hotel could be opened/operated? I never saw this show.

They sold the house in the first ep.. you can still see the house in the first episode when they're moving...

Also here's a link to all the golden palace eps.. enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ericbfdl
Old 01-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
magellan333
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaboyJeff!
They sold the house in the first ep.. you can still see the house in the first episode when they're moving...

Also here's a link to all the golden palace eps.. enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ericbfdl

Thanks for the kick azz link!
Old 01-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
OOliver
Forum Regular

I think the show failed solely with the absence of Dorothy. She wasn't the "leader" (as the OP puts it), but she was the 'anchor'. She was the snesible one, the wise one, the one who saw things clearly among the four. Without her, there was no anchor for the ship.

I don't think it would have been so devasting (and the premise probably could have worked) had Dorothy stayed, but one of the other girls left. They could always have a regular/semi-regular who was naive and ditzy (Rose), the southern sexpot (Blanche), or the cranky elderly 'mother-figure' (Sophia).

Not as easy to have someone step in as the constant anchor to keep them going astray - and that's exactly what happened to the show. It went astray, rather quickly.