Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons
Antenna TV January 2018 Schedule Includes Gimme a Break! and Coach; Pop Launches Wednesday Comedies in January

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Meade
Forum Regular

Send a message via MSN to Meade
Default I don't care for Sophia !

First off, I like the show. Not a huge fan, but somewhere in between. My least favorite character of all is Sophia. She gets away with murder!

Nevermind her heavy accent, but the way she puts down people all the time and they give her shes an old lady excuse.

Like when Blanche's daughter Rebecca is heavy set, Sophia insults her several times, yet everyone jumps on her BF when he does it. But Sophia was just as bad as he was!

Sophia got more annoying in the later episodes. She became almost too unbelieveable. Yes, there are spry 80 somethings like that, but she was almost like a cartoon. Maybe it could be the acting on Estelle Getty's part.

Who I thought was the least seasoned of the 4. But I think the show would have been better without Sophia.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
HuntingtonM15
Forum Veteran
Bottom of the Barrel

I definitely can't agree. It was the way she delivered her lines that made them hilarious. They all put each other down, it was part of the humor of the show.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Meade
Forum Regular

Send a message via MSN to Meade

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingtonM15
I definitely can't agree. It was the way she delivered her lines that made them hilarious. They all put each other down, it was part of the humor of the show.

It was never funny to me. Just mean spirited. Even when Dorothy insulted someone, it had a little bit less sting to it. Made it alittle more funny.
Like "silly putty, Rose!" Okay thats funny

"What did you model, car carpets"? Not funny.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

I always felt that Sophia was the best thing about the show! In fact I would go so far as to say that without Sophia there would be no show! It would be a snooze fest.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
HuntingtonM15
Forum Veteran
Bottom of the Barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meade
It was never funny to me. Just mean spirited. Even when Dorothy insulted someone, it had a little bit less sting to it. Made it alittle more funny.
Like "silly putty, Rose!" Okay thats funny

"What did you model, car carpets"? Not funny.

Well, the thing is that they ALL insulted each other. I don't see how one could be considered hateful while the others are humorous. To me, they were all hilarious with their insults.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
HuntingtonM15
Forum Veteran
Bottom of the Barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
I always felt that Sophia was the best thing about the show! In fact I would go so far as to say that without Sophia there would be no show! It would be a snooze fest.

It's true. Without any one of them, there wouldn't be a show, but I'd agree with Sophia, especially. She definitely seems to be a fan favorite.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:14 AM   #7
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Sophia was a riot. She could shoot off those one-liners like nobody else. There were also episodes where she showed her love for Dorothy. One such show was when Dorothy had chronic fatigue symptom. She talked about a parent burying a child. It was sad. Whenever it came to her daughter, she was a barracuda. She was a barracuda anyway, but nobody messed with Sophia's loved ones.

I recently saw the episode where Sophia had escaped from the rest home, to end up living with the GG. It was explained that she had a disorder where she said whatever was on her mind. She had no filter from her brain to her mouth. It was like Tourette's Syndrome without the profanity. That may explain why Sophia had an extra razor sharp tongue. Everyone's got their opinion. I may love or hate a character, and someone may feel the complete opposite. It would be a boring world if we all agreed.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
ratherbwatchinGG
Frequent Poster

I too thought Sophia was funny. Estelle Getty may not have been the most seasoned or best actress compared to the others but those one liners were a riot. Bea Arthur did say that "Our mother-daughter relationship was one of the greatest comic duo`s ever."
Old 04-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
shocolah
Forum Regular
Bring Back The Wonder Years!!!

Some of the things I didn't like that Sophia said,
"You idiot!" or "you moron!" to Rose and maybe "look in the mirror, blubberbutt!" Then Sophia had the gall to say to
Dorothy (after she let the girls sit in jail for over an hour) , "Jealosy is a very ugly thing...and so are you in
anything backless!" Most of the lines IMO where funny even though
insulting like when she called Blanche a 50-year-old mattress or called
Blanche a slut/slutpuppy. Blanche once even wanted to be called "the slut"
after she she found out Rose had 56 boyfriends during her life!
Old 04-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
sodalake
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meade
First off, I like the show. Not a huge fan, but somewhere in between. My least favorite character of all is Sophia. She gets away with murder!

Nevermind her heavy accent, but the way she puts down people all the time and they give her shes an old lady excuse.

Like when Blanche's daughter Rebecca is heavy set, Sophia insults her several times, yet everyone jumps on her BF when he does it. But Sophia was just as bad as he was!

Sophia got more annoying in the later episodes. She became almost too unbelieveable. Yes, there are spry 80 somethings like that, but she was almost like a cartoon. Maybe it could be the acting on Estelle Getty's part.

Who I thought was the least seasoned of the 4. But I think the show would have been better without Sophia.

I think Sophia definitely made the show. I can't imagine it without her. However, they did change her character in later seasons to be over the top and silly acting. In the early seasons, she was a riot with her quick wit and her stories. But in the last couple seasons, Sophia became more obnoxious and immature in the things she would do. I assume it was the writers that made her this way. It was not as appealing to me as the way her character was during the first years of the show.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #11
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!

Not like Sophia? Oh well, different strokes for different folks, but count me in the I SOPHIA camp. I loved her feistiness, and yes she wasn't shy abt giving zingers - but - to me - you always knew that when push came to shove she had a good heart and really loved her "girls" esp. "pussycat". BTW, all the gals were great, and I love them all, but...its Sophia I love the best ...she was such a hoot and the icing on the cake.

xxoo You both Rock!!
Old 04-11-2009, 01:42 AM   #12
HuntingtonM15
Forum Veteran
Bottom of the Barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocolah
"Jealosy is a very ugly thing...and so are you in
anything backless!"

That's one of my all-time favorite Sophia lines.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:00 AM   #13
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
That's one of my all-time favorite Sophia lines.

Mine's when she and Blanche are fighting over the same man and Sophia catches Blanche flirting with him and says "Beat it, you 50 year old mattress."
Old 04-11-2009, 02:08 AM   #14
HuntingtonM15
Forum Veteran
Bottom of the Barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts!
Mine's when she and Blanche are fighting over the same man and Sophia catches Blanche flirting with him and says "Beat it, you 50 year old mattress."

My favorite is also from that episode, but it's the, "You're only gonna sit in an inch of water?!" line.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #15
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
My favorite is also from that episode, but it's the, "You're only gonna sit in an inch of water?!" line.

Good ol' Sophia was on a roll in this ep! When she wants a guy she doesn't mess around boy! She gets in a few cute one liners when she does the eulogy too!