Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Game Shows Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Game Shows

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

American Dad! Returns on TBS with New Episodes; Brady Bunch HGTV Series Underway
WLNY's The Odd Couple Marathon on New Year's; ABC Orders More Episodes of Most Comedies
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Conners Second Season Looking Likely; Apple to Produce New Peanuts Content
Fri-Yay: Where Will The Good Place Go Next?; Everything's Gonna Be Okay at Freeform
ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-19-2018, 01:34 AM   #1
LaBestia
Ben Bailey's Taxi Girl

Default The Worst Biggest Mistakes In GSN History

Since we have one of these threads about FOX ABC NBC and CBS I thought I would start one about GSN,
When GSN was launched on New Year's Eve of 1994 fans couldn't wait to have a channel that was all game shows that fans could enjoy but as GSN continued to grow you could tell that they would soon change their image by no longer calling themselves Game Show Network and referring themselves as GSN and now The Worst Biggest Mistakes In GSN History,
1. Way too much World Poker Tour Championships,
I could never understand why GSN had an obsession with World Poker Tour and they practically showed it every weekend and some game show classics would have been better to watch instead of World Poker Tour
2. Adding reality shows,
GSN wanted to cash in on the reality show craze so they started having stars like Carnie Wilson do their own reality shows and I do not think reality shows belong on GSN but they added reality shows like Window Warriors and Skin Wars in which Skin Wars lasted two seasons and if they returned to their game show roots and not focus on reality shows they would be better
3. Too Much Steve Harvey Family Feud,
Ever since it was announced that Steve Harvey's Family Feud reruns were gonna be added to the GSN lineup it seems that Steve Harvey has become GSN's biggest celebrity and GSN should cut the Family Feud reruns to midnight showings on weekends and no other versions of Family Feud never get shown besides Steve Harvey's Family Feud
For me the biggest mistake that GSN had done in history that never should've been done in the first place was cancel The Chase and it seemed to me that The Chase was a huge monster hit and even though a fifth season was scheduled to air GSN did a wrong move and cancelled The Chase anyway and focused on other game shows like Winsanity. Also replacing Chuck Woolery with Bill Engvall for the revival of Lingo was a bad idea and a better host would've been better
What are the Worst Biggest Mistakes do you consider the worst idea that hurt GSN in history?
Bestie
Old 06-19-2018, 03:14 AM   #2
AMackII

One of the Worst Mistakes that GSN ever did was...

- Not airing the remainder of Syndicated Sale of the Century(80s) run due to lease expiration

- Taking Off Saturday Night Classic Block back in February

- Not Showing Seasons 1, 4, 5 & 6(?) of Love Connection(Woolery) But have they show Seasons 2, 3, 7, 8 & 9 on the channel before?

- Not Airing the classic pre-1990 episodes of The Price is Right from after February 9, 1984 due to lease expiration; on the other hand maybe it has something to do with CBS

- Not Airing the New Year's Eve 1987 episode of Card Sharks(Eubanks) last December

- Having ABC's Dancing with the Stars replacing the Flashback Friday block

- Not Acquiring Starcade & Sports Challenge because GSN never thought about airing these classic shows

- Quickly taken off Hollywood Game Night from the GSN schedule too soon. however, NBC is currently protecting HGN

- Taking The Chase off from the GSN's Weekday Schedule in favor of Family Feud(Harvey)

- Having Whammy! to replace Card Sharks(Perry) at 10am/9c in November 2016
AMackII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
DadTheKing

Hi, Bestie! This should be a poll! I say the worst is too much Family Feud and cancelling The Chase!
DTK
DadTheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:57 AM   #4
LaBestia
Ben Bailey's Taxi Girl

Another worst mistake of GSN was cancelling The American Bible Challenge after three seasons and I couldn't figure out why GSN did this because like The Chase The American Bible Challenge was a monster hit and was nominated for an Emmy Award for Best Outstanding Game Show but then shortly after it was cancelled The American Bible Challenge reruns were shown on Up as well as Bounce. Also having the show Instant Recall which was supposed to be Wink Martindale's return as The Comeback Kid "a term that I love to use for game show hosts that haven't been seen in a while" but when Instant Recall was first announced by GSN they promoted Instant Recall like crazy and having commercials for Instant Recall where Wink Martindale dressed like a rap artist didn't help Instant Recall in ratings and was soon cancelled and reruns of Instant Recall have never been seen on GSN since. Another show to suffer the same fate was The Pyramid and the main reason why I think The Pyramid even existed was that as soon as Dick Clark passed away GSN was so eager to promote The Pyramid and by having celebrities such as Yvette Nicole Brown and Melissa Peterman appear on the show didn't work and with Mike Richards as host The Pyramid would've been a hit but was sent to Game Show Heaven shortly and reruns have also never been seen since on GSN
Bestie
LaBestia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:37 AM   #5
LaBestia
Ben Bailey's Taxi Girl

Why GSN aired reruns of Dancing With The Stars is beyond me and GSN should've added another game show instead of Dancing With The Stars and that would've been great. Another big mistake was adding Shop Til You Drop to the GSN lineup and you would've thought that Supermarket Sweep would've been a better choice rather than Shop Til You Drop and although Shop Til You Drop is a great show GSN could've gotten Supermarket Sweep added to the lineup. Also removing the reruns of the Monty Hall LMAD shortly after the Monty Hall Tribute Marathon of LMAD premiered was not such a smart idea and GSN should've kept the original LMAD as a way to honor Monty Hall
Bestie
Old 07-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
mets82

When Game Show Network became GSN. It's no different then when other channels changed.

Plus, way too much Family Feud. I like Harvey's Family Feud but now it's overkill. Not only that, relying on shows from not to long ago. What I mean is instead of showing game shows from 2010, show game shows from 1980.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:30 AM   #7
LaBestia
Ben Bailey's Taxi Girl

Why GSN decided to air Million Dollar Password reruns is beyond me and it seemed that after CBS pulled the plug on Million Dollar Password GSN decided to add the reruns to their lineup. Another thing I noticed about GSN is that they showed Regis Philbin's version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire then Meredith Veira's version but as soon as Who Wants To Be A Millionaire returned to GSN last year they decided to air the current Chris Harrison version rather than the Cedric The Entertainer version or the Terry Crews version and ever since Chris Harrison's Millionaire reruns debuted last December it seems that this version of Millionaire is all GSN shows and Regis Philbin's Millionaire will probably never be shown again. Another wrong thing that GSN did was cancel the Chain Reaction revival and it seemed like a smart idea to air the Chain Reaction revival directly after The Chase proved that GSN had a hit game show hour at night but after seeing how successful Mark Labbett had become Michael Catherwood was hoping for the same celebrity status but it wasn't possible when Chain Reaction was cancelled. If GSN could design better shows and give them better promotion GSN could be great again and show the classic black and white game shows year round rather than during Christmas and it would be awesome
Bestie
Old 07-31-2018, 02:53 AM   #8
LaBestia
Ben Bailey's Taxi Girl

Here's some more of The Worst Biggest Mistakes In GSN History,
1. Perferring Chris Harrison's version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire over the Regis Philbin version/Meredith Veira version/ Cedric The Entertainer version/Terry Crews version,
When it was announced that Who Wants To Be A Millionaire was coming back to GSN in December of last year fans were rejoicing it's return to GSN but when it was announced that it was the Chris Harrison version of Millionaire fans were disappointed that it wasn't Regis Philbin's version and I can't understand why Chris Harrison's Millionaire was chosen to air by GSN rather than Regis Philbin's version or any of the other versions that were hosted by Meredith Veira Cedric The Entertainer or Terry Crews's versions. Does GSN have no interest in Regis Philbin's Millionaire or is GSN just scared to air other versions of Millionaire?
2. Showing Cash Cab at weeknights rather than airing it in the weekday morning lineup and only showing it on the weekend morning lineup,
I can never understand why GSN decided to air Cash Cab reruns on weeknights during the week but when Catch 21 reruns came back to the weekday morning lineup Cash Cab morning reruns were gone and another thing regarding Cash Cab on GSN is they only air it on weekend mornings and by the time I get up I miss it and Millionaire is on. If I ran GSN I would remove Millionaire and add more Cash Cab reruns in Millionaire's weekend timeslots. I LOVE Cash Cab and I would love to see it more often than in weeknight timeslots that are impossible to find
3. Doing away with talk shows about game shows,
When GSN was first launched on cable they had talk shows about game shows such as Club AM and GameTV where they had interviews with game show hosts and happenings in the game show world but you don't see talk shows about game shows on GSN anymore and game show talk shows would be a winner on GSN today
Other things to note is having the interactive game show GSN Live and I can't understand why this show existed on GSN and to me it was a waste of space and having The Bachelor's Bob Guiney host it didn't help and it's a wonder it was cancelled after so long
Bestie
Old 08-01-2018, 12:18 AM   #9
mets82

For why they air Chris Harrison's Millionaire instead of Regis, maybe they do that because some of the questions on Regis' Millionaire are outdated? I'm just guessing.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:52 PM   #10
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82 View Post
For why they air Chris Harrison's Millionaire instead of Regis, maybe they do that because some of the questions on Regis' Millionaire are outdated? I'm just guessing.
There are shows on the schedule that are a lot older than Regis Millionaire.
FRASIER: As usual Frasier has to save the day.
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #11
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

Their single biggest mistake is when Steve Harvey Family Feud came to the network. I thought Deal or No Deal airing 4 hours a day awhile back was excessive, but that ended up being nothing compared to the Harvey Feud overkill that will never go away now. Other mistakes, some of their best originals were treated like crap. The American Bible Challenge got record breaking ratings when it first came but went long periods of time between seasons (which were shorter than a lot of originals at only 9 episodes a season) and was cancelled after 3 seasons. The Chase still got good ratings when it was cancelled. 20Q and The Money List were doomed from the start with their awful Big Saturday "event" that had unwanted interstitials expanding an hour show to 90 minutes. Finally, Grand Slam was one of the best game shows I have ever seen, the only thing that tops it in my book is the Dick Clark Pyramids. Grand Slam was a smartly written tournament of game show champions that was stuck on Saturday and cancelled after one short season. Instead they started making garbage like Baggage and the Newlywed Game remake that made several episodes and seasons.
catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:45 AM   #12
LaBestia
Ben Bailey's Taxi Girl

I'm very happy that you all agree with me. Here's another mistake that GSN wrongly did and they should've never done in the first place. During Christmas Week in 2014 GSN launched a game show called The Line and when GSN announced the debut of The Line in their upfronts it was due to be an interesting concept for a game show and a hit game show. But when The Line finally came out during Christmas Week only two episodes were made and aired and I cannot figure out why GSN promoted The Line like crazy and wasted an entire Christmas Day marathon just repeating the same episodes of The Line over and over and over then because of this The Line was cancelled soon after Christmas. Another mistake that GSN should've learned to follow the rules was adding Monopoly Millionaires Club reruns after the show barely started it's debut season and during commercial breaks of GSN shows GSN promoted Monopoly Millionaires Club like crazy but due to state lottery laws that forbade GSN from showing Monopoly Millionaires Club reruns the show was pulled from GSN at the last minute the day before the reruns were to debut on GSN The Chase reruns were put in Monopoly Millionaires Club's timeslot and GSN should've not broken the rules for mistakes like this
Bestie
Old 08-03-2018, 07:28 AM   #13
MikaelaArsenault
Christine and Harry
Forum Celebrity

Airing so much of Steve Harvey's Family Feud and drifting away from game shows, showing stuff not even game show related at all.

And many others too.

"Ciao, baby!" - John Larroquette as Dan Fielding

Goodnight, sweet prince. Harry Anderson 1952-2018

Errrrrrruuuuuuuuahhh?? - Tim Allen

Comcast/XFINITY, please bring UP TV back. Thank you.
MikaelaArsenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:54 AM   #14
LaBestia
Ben Bailey's Taxi Girl

What really hurt GSN was when they added It Takes A Church and I don't know why it existed in the first place. I remember when It Takes A Church came out and what I saw of it was a ripoff of The Bachelor with a single church pastor and even though it had my favorite singer Natalie Grant as the host of the show I think GSN overpromoted It Takes A Church and it was soon cancelled. Another show that was another monster hit was Idiotest and when it first came out at the same time that The Chase was in it's second season GSN knew that another game show besides The Chase would be huge for GSN and even though at first GSN had a smart idea to air Idiotest directly after The Chase but when they started doing theme weeks of Idiotest such as Kids Week and Celebrity Week you could tell that Idiotest would be going downhill and it would soon be the end and when Idiotest premiered the host Ben Gleib became GSN's biggest celebrity next to Mark Labbett and now that Idiotest is cancelled Ben Gleib has never hosted another game show for GSN or any other network since and I believe that Ben Gleib deserves a second chance to host a game show for GSN soon
Bestie
Old 08-09-2018, 01:29 AM   #15
LaBestia
Ben Bailey's Taxi Girl

Another thing I found odd is why did GSN get the idea to have a show called Beat The Chefs and to me this cooking reality show is something that belongs on Food Network and not GSN and what I think GSN was trying to do was trying to have a show like Iron Chef but it failed. Also another thing was having former American Idol Season 3 finalist Matthew Rogers host Beat The Chefs was a shocking surprise. The same thing happened with a show called Family Trade and when it first was announced GSN made tons of money on TV commercials advertising it but even with expensive advertising Family Trade was soon cancelled and from what I saw of it Family Trade was a copycat of Pawn Stars and didn't fit on GSN. A second thing I can't figure out is why did GSN put Deal Or No Deal on the early morning schedule and on the weekends it's also in the early morning hours too and Deal Or No Deal should be shown weekday afternoons as well besides America Says as well. If GSN would improve their lineup to air more successful game shows I think they could be better
Bestie