Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Leave it to Beaver Online / Leave it to Beaver links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Leave it to Beaver Photo Gallery

Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set)

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set with Cleaver Family Photo Album) on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Three

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Three on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Four

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Four on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Five

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Five on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Six

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Six on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > Leave it to Beaver

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates
Netflix Gets Funny with Pranks with Stranger Things Star; Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba Series Gets 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 17, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #31
omg65
Forum Regular

Rusty on his jacket he wore on the show:

This Is For Our Newer Members And For Those Who May Of Missed The Original Post From September. A "Tidbit" From Our Friend Rusty, As Follows,,,"I have a couple questions for the group. I would guess that this is mainly for those who grew up in the 50s and early 60s. In many of the episodes that I am in I am wearing a jacket that we used to call a "car coat." It was a pretty specific looking jacket and was quite popular in my neck of the woods. What I'm wondering is if that particular jacket was also popular in other parts of the country (other than the West Coast) and if so did it have a different name or was it known as a car coat. I could be wrong but I do not recall other characters on the show wearing a car coat. We pretty much wore our own clothes for the show so maybe that's the simple reason my character wore it and others didn't.
My other question stems from one of the episodes, "Beaver Plays Hooky." In the episode, when we are sitting on the back of a billboard, as the camera pans up from our shoes to our faces, I noticed to my surprise that I seem to be wearing a pair of white bucks. Beaver is wearing sneakers/tennis shoes. For those of you "of a certain age" you will remember that white bucks we're popularized by Pat Boone. I had totally forgotten that I ever owned them, but there they were in black and white. Looking at it from a current perspective it seems kind of funny that a chubby, red-headed, 10 year old apple/candy bar-eating squirt would be wearing the shoes associated with a cool, smooth Pat Boone. (Yes youngsters, Pat Boone was once almost as popular as Elvis Presley.)
So the question is, do any of you guys remember owning a pair of white bucks, and at what age might it have been?"��
omg65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #32
omg65
Forum Regular

Rusty Misc. thoughts:

Message From Our Friend Rusty, As Follows,,,,, "Here is a couple of bits of information that you might find interesting. For those of you who notice the credits on the show, you will see the name David Butler as director for many episodes. Well, it turns out he had some great experience in directing child actors. In the mid 1930's he directed several Shirley Temple movies. I was a big fan of those movies when they showed them on Saturday afternoons. One of my fondest memories of David Butler was a Christmas gift he gave me one year. It was a leather script book with my name engraved on it. With a script book, instead of just having the paper pages, you had them in a book form which was very professional. I don't know whatever happened to that script book. I guess it got lost in moves over the years. I sure wish I still had it.
The other thing I wanted to share, which is totally unrelated to the above, has to do with the set where the show was shot. Maybe a lot of you already know this but in the many, many scenes where you see somebody going up the stairs to the second floor of the Cleaver house, there was no second floor. You just walked up to a landing that overlooked the rest of the set. Of course, you waited until the scene was over and then walked back down. I suppose figuring that out isn't exactly rocket science but it is done so well on the show (and other shows for that matter) that it might not occur too many people that there is no second floor up there. The bedroom and the bathroom are simply different sets on the soundstage"��
Old 05-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #33
Samme
Forum Regular

Is there any proof that is really Rusty? I hope it is, but all of that dialog and those discriptions sound to me like the work of an amateur writer making everything up. It doesn't have the ring of truth to any of it.
Samme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #34
omg65
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samme View Post
Is there any proof that is really Rusty? I hope it is, but all of that dialog and those discriptions sound to me like the work of an amateur writer making everything up. It doesn't have the ring of truth to any of it.
Go to the Facebook link I provided on a previous post and decide for yourself. I for one think it's legit.There are a few recent pictures of Rusty but you have to search for them.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #35
stevea

Much of it sounds like stuff that would really come from an insider. Other things do sound odd, like strange details about the meetup with Sue Randall. But strange things do happen. Real or fake, it's still very interesting.

I agree with omg, I think it traces back to him. One thing to think about: why would anyone fake being Rusty Stevens?

Re the stairs that lead nowhere. I think most people are aware there are no upstairs on soundstages (except the fully visible stairs on Brady Bunch and maybe a few other shows, with an upstairs landing that would lead nowhere.)

Also, re David Butler, I think I've read about his talents working with child actors. Maybe the same about Norman Tokar, another director on the show.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #36
stevea

Going back to another post, about white bucks. There was an episode of Father Knows Best where the Bud character just HAD to have a pair of white buck shoes. He went to the shoe store and they didn't have his size. Unlike a Beaver episode this salesman protested, and told Bud these weren't his size, and they were out of his size. Bud insisted they fit fine, and eventually his feet got more and more sore and swollen. Eventually he was waiting backstage to receive some kind of student award, and took the shoes off. When they prematurely called him to the stage, he couldn't get the shoes back on. Then his younger sister brought him a pair of shoes from his father, which enabled him to get them on and receive his award.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #37
stevea

I just read another post about phone use. I'm sorry, it's gotta be Rusty. What fake would remember singing You Always Hurt The One You Love, while waiting for an answer?

He mentioned phone calls, where no one is on the other end. Some actors really do a bad job with these. A lot of times they leave no space for listening to the other, non-existent person.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:40 AM   #38
Samme
Forum Regular

I joined the Facebook group and I just don't know...The messages are coming through a moderator for the group and that seems to make it more legit. Again, I hope the messages are coming from Rusty. There are a massive amount of photos of people from the show that I think fans will really enjoy. It is a good group for fans of the show to join.

Rusty has just been gone from sight for so long and not done any interviews, but I'm now leaning more to that this is legit. So far I found two much more recent photos of him there and one really does look like an older Rusty. The other was in a Halloween costume. It will be nice if it is Rusty. Sorry if my first post was wrong.
Samme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:21 AM   #39
stevea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samme View Post
Sorry if my first post was wrong.
It makes sense to be wary of anything in today's world.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:58 AM   #40
omg65
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
It makes sense to be wary of anything in today's world.
Agreed and I do not blame anyone for being skeptical.This just adds up to me for being legit.

Last edited by omg65; 05-21-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #41
Scrabjan1

Rusty certainly has an amazing memory and wonder why he felt his portrayal of Larry Mondello wasn’t worthy of our attention. LITB was a memorable TV sitcom but never tried to get a laugh. You just found it funny without being told to laugh. I just realized they had laugh tracks. The first 3 seasons were great. I think Rusty is very lucky he quit in season 4 and before Jerry got self conscious and awkward. I remember Rusty in a short scene in Still the Beaver and he still could act. He was a natural. All you have to do though is watch Beaver Makes a Loan and hear Larry singing Your Always Hurt the Ones You Love. I wonder why Rusty didn’t write a book way back why do it now on FB. That Sue Randall story was really a shock and wonder why he never told his wife he was Larry on the unforgettable show LITB.

Would love to hear his impressions of a Hugh and Barbara. Both of these actors did a great job on the phone giving time for the caller to respond. Hugh especially. The older Jerry didn’t do so well on the phone neither did Tony. In Party Spoiler Wally gives no time for the call to connect before he’s asking Don to come to his party.

Last edited by Scrabjan1; 05-22-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Scrabjan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:17 PM   #42
stevea

Off topic: I like Father Knows Best but they are really bad on phone calls, early on. No time for answers, just spiel the lines. Director Russell should have cut the scene. "Retake!" Lauren, pause on the phone for responses." Or they could have had a dialog coach cue the actor.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #43
Scrabjan1

Good point. I always got a kick out of seeing the director of FKB, William Russell, because he had the same name as my father. I love how good Ward was on phone. Does so well listening and you almost believe there’s someone on the other end. I always though he gave good phone. Richard Deacon did well too. Sometimes they would show the other caller and sometimes not. When Ward gets a call from Mrs. Rayburn about Beaver acing the Intelligence test we don’t see Mrs. R.
Scrabjan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #44
stevea

I've never noticed phone problems on LITB (except maybe stop action in the middle of a phone scene, and when it starts again the phone is in the other hand). Good directing and acting.

On FKB it was the kids that were the problem. Both adults were seasoned actors.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #45
omg65
Forum Regular

I asked Doug B to try and get Rusty's thoughts about his "cult" character on The New Leave it to Beaver series which was bizarre and a big letdown to me. Hoping to hear back on that and will post it here if I get a reply.