://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/search.php?do=getdaily">View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The New Dick Van Dyke Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The New Dick Van Dyke Show Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The New Dick Van Dyke Show

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; FX Sets Dates for Fall 2019 Schedule
Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-21-2001, 12:34 AM   #1
Christine0079
Frequent Poster

Post new member

Hi, I'm a new member to this message board and also a BIG Dick Van Dyke fan. The NDVDS doesn't air where I live and I've only seen about 2 episodes. I'm sure it's a good show, although probably not as good as the old DVD show.

I read somewhere that the show was taken off the air because there was a scene in an episode where Dick's daughter walks in on him and his wife while they were having sex and the censors didn't want it. Does anyone know if this is true or was it just slipping in ratings??
Christine0079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 02:14 PM   #2
Sean Snow
moo
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Sean Snow
It was cancled because DVD didn't want to do televison anymore. It's ratings were going upo, and NBC wanted to eb it because it felt it was good competion against CBS' All in the Family. Also, he quit because CArl Reiner had been fired a season before.
Sean Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 04:47 PM   #3
TV Guy

Supposedly, Carl Reiner quit because of the episode where the daughter walks in on Dick and his wife. CBS never did show it, but it was included in the syndication package.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 01:19 AM   #4
NCVARick
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by MtM fan:
I read somewhere that the show was taken off the air because there was a scene in an episode where Dick's daughter walks in on him and his wife while they were having sex and the censors didn't want it. Does anyone know if this is true or was it just slipping in ratings??
The incident you mention did happen, but CBS didn't cancel the show because of that. It was actually producer Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke who decided to end the show. Reiner was incensed at CBS for refusing to air the episode. Reiner thought they were being very hypocritical to air shows like "All in the Family" (ironically co-starring his son) and "Maude", which dealt so openly with very controversial topics. But CBS felt like this episode didn't go with Van Dyke's "Mary Poppins"/"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" image. At the time, Carl Reiner swore he would never do a show for CBS again. And when Reiner pulled out, Van Dyke decided he didn't want to continue the show without Reiner as producer.

Incidentally, though CBS never aired this episode, it is included in the syndication package. I saw it in the early '80s and I can tell you it's VERY tame. Only an adult would know what was going on. There was a scene at the beginning where Dick and Jenny's daughter is seen walking into her parents bedroom in the morning. She then steps back out with a surprised look on her face. The viewer never actually sees inside the bedroom itself, and only knows what's going on because of the look on the young girl's face. If this had been "All in the Family," we would surely have seen Mike in bed on top of Gloria.
NCVARick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 05:03 PM   #5
TV Guy

I could be wrong here, but I thought Dick Van Dyke did one more season of NDVD without Carl Reiner. This was the season where he and his family moved to Hollywood so he could take a role on a soap opera. Or did Reiner produce that season as well, and the withheld episode was one of the Hollywood ones?
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 08:20 PM   #6
Sean Snow
moo
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Sean Snow
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by TV Guy:
I could be wrong here, but I thought Dick Van Dyke did one more season of NDVD without Carl Reiner. This was the season where he and his family moved to Hollywood so he could take a role on a soap opera. Or did Reiner produce that season as well, and the withheld episode was one of the Hollywood ones?
Yes, he did do one more season without CR, the one in Hollywood. He also quit because he didn't like working on such a busy sked again.

Sean Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 11:01 PM   #7
NCVARick
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Snow:
Yes, he did do one more season without CR, the one in Hollywood. He also quit because he didn't like working on such a busy sked again.

No, Carl Reiner was still VERY heavily involved in the show during its final (third) season (the Hollywood episodes). I have some of those shows on tape and have confirmed this. Actually, he was probably MORE involved in the third season than he was in the first two. In the third season, he is listed in the credits as both the creator AND the producer. Before the third season, Bernie Orenstein and Saul Turteltaub were the producers. Also during the third season, Carl Reiner was one of the show's writers.

A number of years ago, I read a newspaper article that came out in 1974, at the time Reiner and Van Dyke had decided to call it quits from this show. In that article, Reiner was very vocal about his anger towards CBS and why he was leaving it. And Van Dyke had no desire to continue without him. This show, from the beginning to the end, was as much Carl Reiner's as it was Dick Van Dyke's.
NCVARick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 04:21 PM   #8
JT

From what I heard Carl left because after CBS changed the show it wasn't the same so he decided to leave.After the walking in episode they moved to LA dropping Nancy Dussault,Fannie Flagg and Marty Brill.Reiner said they ruined the show so he left.And one season later Dick left.
If you ask me CBS didn't give the show enough time to get popular.Fannie Flagg was starting to get spots on Match Game.The show grew safely into its Sunday night slot.But then they went and changed it and it got cancelled because DVD and CR left.The ratings were OK but well......I think it was something against DVD because if CBS wanted to successfully switch to a more sophisticated network they would've kept it.I say it could lasted to 1978.That'd be a good little run.Maybe they could have had the soap opera move to then instead of them moving to the soap opera.
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy
Supposedly, Carl Reiner quit because of the episode where the daughter walks in on Dick and his wife. CBS never did show it, but it was included in the syndication package.
Really? So it aired within a few years of being made?
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

Welcome to The Boards
Old 04-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cori aka ChrisSCrush
Really? So it aired within a few years of being made?
Yes, that is correct. It was a very innocuous, harmless episode, and Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke were right to quit.
LittleRickyII is offline   Reply With Quote