://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/search.php?do=getdaily">View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The New Dick Van Dyke Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The New Dick Van Dyke Show Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The New Dick Van Dyke Show

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates
Netflix Gets Funny with Pranks with Stranger Things Star; Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba Series Gets 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 17, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-19-2002, 12:26 AM   #1
mstewart
mstewart

Send a message via Yahoo to mstewart
Default Laura Petrie or Jenny Preston

Which Dick Van Dyke TV wife you like the best?
mstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 09:40 PM   #2
buddy love
Frequent Poster

MTM
buddy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 09:24 PM   #3
CHUCK T
Frequent Poster

Agreed.
CHUCK T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:48 PM   #4
schoonerbay
Occasional Poster

You can't really compare the two because they are too different.

Laura would not have been happy married to a guy like Dick Preston , he's not elegant enough or as together as Rob Petrie. She and Rob are the perfect couple. If MTM had played the part of Jenny, it still wouldn't work because I don't think the character of Jenny is as cute or as high strung as Laura. Likewise Hope Lange would not have made a good Laura. But both women are good with DVD, MTM does have the better chemistry. I do wonder what it would have been like if instead of HL, DVD's first choice would have taken the part of Jenny--Suzanne Pleshette?
Old 02-02-2003, 10:23 PM   #5
Tweety

Quote:
Originally posted by schoonerbay
... I do wonder what it would have been like if instead of HL, DVD's first choice would have taken the part of Jenny--Suzanne Pleshette?

Wow, I didn't know that Pleshette was DVD's first choice to play Jenny on this show...that's interesting...

Looking back, I wonder why Pleshette wouldn't have wanted to work with a great talent like Dick Van Dyke? Was she already doing the Bob Newhart Show at the time? Seems like the New DVD show came along before The B Newhart Show...

I guess that Van Dyke had a drinking problem in those days, and maybe Pleshette was wary of that aspect of his personality...

also, I'm not sure that you really want to follow an act like DVD had with MTM on his first show...that would be a tough act to follow, and it might be tough always having to listen to comparisons...

I think Pleshette and Van Dyke would have been a great couple...but Hope Lange was excellent in this part anyway...
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 12:49 AM   #6
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

Thumbs up Laura Petrie or Jenny Preston

Laura Pertrie I Like

Take Care and God Bless
Aaron
Old 02-21-2003, 12:01 AM   #7
mstewart
mstewart

Send a message via Yahoo to mstewart

Here's the answer that all of you been waiting for. I preferred Laura Petrie because she became one of the first modern sitcom wives that did not do housework in pearls and dresses. She wore slacks and the characters flaw were there as well as her good traits.

Jenny Preston on the other hand was a victim of a producers and writers not following up on their promise that Hope Lange's part will be a big part of the show like Mary Tyler Moore's part was on the Dick Van Dyke Show. All Lange was a, "Hi honey how was your day." Hope Lange is an excellent actress and it was unfortunate that we did not get to see the depth of her acting ability on the show.

Here was something funny about Mary Tyler Moore. Her part on the original Van Dyke Show was suppose to be small but Carl Reiner saw that she can do comedy and get laughs on her. They gave her more to do and she grew as a comic actress because of sitting under such powerhouses as Dick Van Dyke, Carl Reiner, Rose Marie, and Morey Asterdam. That right there is college to learn to be a sitcom actress. Hope Lange had that same opportunity. Here was a cast of Van Dyke, Reiner (creator of TNDVS), Fannie Flagg (underrated cast member of that show), Marty Brill and Nancy Dussault. They were very funny and Hope already had comedy experience in the Ghost and Mrs. Muir. That show was a different style of comedy than Van Dyke Show (original and the New). Her comedy skills would have been sharpen even more.
mstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:14 PM   #8
SpunkiiMonkii7078
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpunkiiMonkii7078

I say Laura Petrie and you already listed my reasons most of you so LOL, no need to explain anything!

713 votes x Miami 7 x Unreleased rank: 221st
681 votes x L.A. 7 x Unreleased rank: 243rd
692 votes x Hollywood 7 x Unreleased rank: 232nd
221 votes x Viva S Club x Unreleased rank: 1148th
Updated: January 7, 2013

myspace facebook twitter
SpunkiiMonkii7078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #9
TV DVD Fan

Default how can you even compare them?

never seen this show, but i know noone could compare to MTM.

pat
TV DVD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:56 PM   #10
SpunkiiMonkii7078
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpunkiiMonkii7078

LOL. NOBODY compares to MTM that's for sure!

Jessica
SpunkiiMonkii7078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:11 AM   #11
JaneTVFan
Forum Regular

Here, here! Thanks for saying that. I think comparing MTM's Laura Petrie and HL's Jenny Preston is unfair for the reasons you state. It's pretty well known that Hope Lange was very unhappy on this show because she was so underutilized and wanted out. Heaven knows she had already proven herself in the business before this show came along (had even won an Emmy for "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"). It's shameful that they let this talent go to waste on this show. Had she been utilized the way she should have been, we would be considering this MTM/HL question with a very different perspective. It wasn't her fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstewart
Here's the answer that all of you been waiting for. I preferred Laura Petrie because she became one of the first modern sitcom wives that did not do housework in pearls and dresses. She wore slacks and the characters flaw were there as well as her good traits.

Jenny Preston on the other hand was a victim of a producers and writers not following up on their promise that Hope Lange's part will be a big part of the show like Mary Tyler Moore's part was on the Dick Van Dyke Show. All Lange was a, "Hi honey how was your day." Hope Lange is an excellent actress and it was unfortunate that we did not get to see the depth of her acting ability on the show.

Here was something funny about Mary Tyler Moore. Her part on the original Van Dyke Show was suppose to be small but Carl Reiner saw that she can do comedy and get laughs on her. They gave her more to do and she grew as a comic actress because of sitting under such powerhouses as Dick Van Dyke, Carl Reiner, Rose Marie, and Morey Asterdam. That right there is college to learn to be a sitcom actress. Hope Lange had that same opportunity. Here was a cast of Van Dyke, Reiner (creator of TNDVS), Fannie Flagg (underrated cast member of that show), Marty Brill and Nancy Dussault. They were very funny and Hope already had comedy experience in the Ghost and Mrs. Muir. That show was a different style of comedy than Van Dyke Show (original and the New). Her comedy skills would have been sharpen even more.
JaneTVFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:34 AM   #12
HopeLangeFan
R.I.P. Hope Lange
Frequent Poster

[B][I] I read that Dick wanted Hope Lange. I loved Hope in this part and with Dick Van Dyke, it was really unique.

Hope Lange-Hollerith November 28, 1933 - December 19, 2003. Rest In Peace, Hope!

"All in all, it's been a pretty good party."-- Hope Lange

Hope Lange Hollerith November 28, 1933 - December 19, 2003 R.I.P. Hope

Please join my official Hope Lange mailing list. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheOfficial_HopeLange
HopeLangeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:00 PM   #13
HopeLangeFan
R.I.P. Hope Lange
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneTVFan
Here, here! Thanks for saying that. I think comparing MTM's Laura Petrie and HL's Jenny Preston is unfair for the reasons you state. It's pretty well known that Hope Lange was very unhappy on this show because she was so underutilized and wanted out. Heaven knows she had already proven herself in the business before this show came along (had even won an Emmy for "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"). It's shameful that they let this talent go to waste on this show. Had she been utilized the way she should have been, we would be considering this MTM/HL question with a very different perspective. It wasn't her fault.

I totally agree with this, not only because I am a huge fan of Hope's but because it is very TRUE!

Hope Lange was a versitile actress and could play many parts, and show a lot of emotion when called for.

She was also very funny when called for also. She had awesome comedic timing, and I felt she had great chemistry with Dick, of course to me, she had more of a chemistry with Edward Mulhare in Ghost And Mrs. Muir, which still is my favorite Hope Lange role. For more of an example of her comedic timing see the movie Tune In Tomorrow.

The reason she was unhappy on this show was that they would NOT air one of the best shows they did all season, and that was a show when it had implied that Jenny and Dick had made love. I have seen this episode for myself, and it was tastefully done. I loved it, and it was very touching. She did not sign for a 4th season because of this issue. She was even quoted as saying that very thing.
HopeLangeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #14
FanofRetroTV
Forum Regular

Laura Pertrie, of couse. I think she was wonderful, pretty, and funny. Jenny was ok too, but I feel Laura was better.

I wonder who Dick Van Dyke whould pick. That would be interesting/enteraining.
FanofRetroTV is offline   Reply With Quote