Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Drunk History and Corporate Return in January; Jim Gaffigan Returns with Comedy Central Special
The Dick Van Dyke Show and I Love Lucy in Color on Dec. 14; The CW Sets January 2019 Premiere Dates
getTV 2018 Holiday Marathons Schedule; truTV Comedy Returns for 3rd Season
Freeform and ABC's 2018 25 Days of Christmas Schedule; The CW Orders Full Seasons of All Freshman Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 12, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Vanessa Bayer Set to Co-Create and Star in Showtime Comedy; Orange is the New Black Sequel in Discussions
Fri-Yay: When Is It Time to Stop Looking at Live Ratings?; NBC Sets and Shifts January 2019 Lineup

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
ABlairican Pie
Viking metal rules. \m/ \m/
Forum Celebrity

Location: Celebrating the holiest holiday of the year, Monday, June 6, as we honor Slayer and all metal, with plenty of pizza, beer, and sacrificial goats. Life is good.
Oh No 3-year-old Hitler can't get name on cake

MSNBC.com

3-year-old Hitler can't get name on cake

Family upset at store for denying request, and angry Internet postings

Heath Campbell, left, and his wife Deborah, were told that a store in Greenwich, N.J. would not inscribe their three-year-old son's full name, Adolf Hitler Campbell, center, on a birthday cake.

The Associated Press
updated 10:16 p.m. PT, Tues., Dec. 16, 2008

EASTON, Pa. - The father of 3-year-old Adolf Hitler Campbell, denied a birthday cake with the child's full name on it by one New Jersey supermarket, is asking for a little tolerance. Heath Campbell and his wife, Deborah, are upset not only with the decision made by the Greenwich ShopRite, but with an outpouring of angry Internet postings in response to a local newspaper article over the weekend on their flare-up over frosting.

"I think people need to take their heads out of the cloud they've been in and start focusing on the future and not on the past," Heath Campbell said Tuesday in an interview conducted in Easton, on the other side of the Delaware River from where the family lives in Hunterdon County, N.J.

"There's a new president and he says it's time for a change; well, then it's time for a change," the 35-year-old continued. "They need to accept a name. A name's a name. The kid isn't going to grow up and do what (Hitler) did."

Deborah Campbell, 25, said she phoned in her order last week to the ShopRite. When she told the bakery department she wanted her son's name spelled out, she was told to talk to a supervisor, who denied the request.

Karen Meleta, a spokeswoman for ShopRite, said the Campbells had similar requests denied at the same store the last two years and said Heath Campbell previously had asked for a swastika to be included in the decoration.

"We reserve the right not to print anything on the cake that we deem to be inappropriate," Meleta said. "We considered this inappropriate."

The Campbells ultimately got their cake decorated at a Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania, Deborah Campbell said. About 12 people attended the birthday party on Sunday, including several children who were of mixed race, according to Heath Campbell.

"If we're so racist, then why would I have them come into my home?" he asked.

The Campbells' other two children also have unusual names: JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell turns 2 in a few months and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell will be 1 in April.

Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name." He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated.

Campbell said his ancestors are German and that he has lived his entire life in Hunterdon County. On Tuesday he wore a pair of black boots he said were worn by a German soldier during World War II.

He said he was raised not to avoid people of other races but not to mix with them socially or romantically. But he said he would try to raise his children differently.

"Say he grows up and hangs out with black people. That's fine, I don't really care," he said. "That's his choice."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

That kid will certainly have a rough time growing up. I can't believe the parents were that stupid.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
browneyes106

I heard about this story on another site. It is really weird and I feel sorry for that kid to have a name like that.
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Location: Celebrating the holiest holiday of the year, Monday, June 6, as we honor Slayer and all metal, with plenty of pizza, beer, and sacrificial goats. Life is good.

Another interesting fact: Did you know that Jani Lane, the former lead singer of Warrant, was originally named John Kennedy Oswald? He was born in February 1964, a few months after the president's assassination. What were his parents thinking??
ABlairican Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
That kid will certainly have a rough time growing up. I can't believe the parents were that stupid.
Poor kid - I hope he's able to get it legally changed ASAP!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy

I won't call them stupid but what was their reasoning for naming their poor, innocent child that name? Something selfish was taking place. They did not think about that poor child. I found out about this story on "The View" this morning. "Adolph Hitler Campbell".
Old 12-18-2008, 12:59 AM   #7
Dutabi84
kittens must die
Forum Veteran

I'd definitely call them stupid, and take it a step further by saying they deserve to be shot.
Dutabi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:02 AM   #8
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutabi84
I'd definitely call them stupid, and take it a step further by saying they deserve to be shot.
I'd definitely call them stupid, too!!
Old 12-18-2008, 01:16 AM   #9
Chelsea
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Poor kid - I hope he's able to get it legally changed ASAP!!
Most states, outside of marriage or sincere religious conversion, usually require a few hoop-jumps to get a name change. This kid probably won't have much of a problem, though:

<14 years from now>
Judge: Let's see, name change case #987654321-0....requested name: James William Smith.....current name: Adolf Hitler Campbell. GRANTED. Incidentally, young man, what WERE your parents thinking?
Former Seth, 1986-2015
For questions, comments, troubleshooting, or forum help, please PM TJ.
Chelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:19 AM   #10
*Pleasant Tomorrow*
Forum Legend

In the words of Michael K.: "I'm sure nobody in the world has "STUPID ****" on their birth certificate, but that isn't a reason to name your kid that."

Sound like a couple of idiots looking for trouble if you ask me. Aryan Nation? Seriously? And the dad looks like a woman. Just throwing that out there.

"I can feel it - the turn of the Earth,
the ground beneath our feet
spinning at a thousand miles an hour.
And the entire planet is hurtling around the sun
at 67,000 thousand miles an hour and I can feel it.
We're falling through space, you and me.
Clinging to the skin of this tiny little world
and if we let go..."

- The Doctor
*Pleasant Tomorrow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:20 AM   #11
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth
Most states, outside of marriage or sincere religious conversion, usually require a few hoop-jumps to get a name change. This kid probably won't have much of a problem, though:

<14 years from now>
Judge: Let's see, name change case #987654321-0....requested name: James William Smith.....current name: Adolf Hitler Campbell. GRANTED. Incidentally, young man, what WERE your parents thinking?
The name change is granted on the ground that the parents are IDIOTS!!
Old 12-18-2008, 01:24 AM   #12
Hollow
Forum Celebrity

it's one thing to name him adolf, but throwing in the last name shows that the parents honor the guy in some way, whether or not they're bad people. but still no excuse for the bakery to refuse to put it on his cake.
Hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:50 AM   #13
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Oh No

Oh, and get this: The parents say they're NOT racists, but they just wouldn't want their kid going out with a person of color when he comes of age!

Gee, maybe the kid should be enrolled at Bob Jones University.
ABlairican Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:01 AM   #14
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABlairican Pie
Oh, and get this: The parents say they're NOT racists, but they just wouldn't want their kid going out with a person of color when he comes of age!

Gee, maybe the kid should be enrolled at Bob Jones University.
I knew this guy in college who called Bob Jones University KKK University. Bad, but it made me laugh.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #15
Sharop
Andy Gibb aged 12

Location: Courthouse Square, Hill Valley, beside the clocktower, 10:04 p.m., November 12th 1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
I knew this guy in college who called Bob Jones University KKK University. Bad, but it made me laugh.
I don't know much about the Bob Jones University...is it that bad?

I know a person on some other forums who once attended and he's a nice guy. Some people attack him because he's a Wiccan (a witch.) My boyfriend used to be a Wiccan and has a wand and some spellbooks at home. Wicca is a neat religion.

Doc: Don't worry! As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook at precisely 88 miles per hour, the instant the lightning strikes the tower, everything will be fine!
Sharop is offline   Reply With Quote