Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC; Entourage Coming to VH1 Classic
Summer 2014 Week 7 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Continues to Lead in Emmy Nominations; WKRP and Wonder Years DVD Updates
Blog Book Review - George Burns Television Productions: The Series and Pilots, 1950-1981; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 14, 2014)
The 66th Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Hallmark Channel at 2014 TCA Summer Press Tour
Sean Hayes Joining The Millers; Remembering Bob Hastings of McHale's Navy
Hallmark Movie Channel Rebranding to Hallmark Movies & Mysteries; Disney Orders Second Season of Sitcom I Didn't Do It

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Etrulia63
Occasional Poster

Default Do any books about the show exist?

I've been able to watch Burns and Allen on Antenna TV for almost a year now and have to say it's become one of my favorite shows. The lack of DVDs/publicity/discussion for the show, however, is discouraging. I think if more people had the chance to see it they'd see how funny, put together and classy the show was. Which brings me to my main question...

Do any books about the show itself exist? I know there are several that George wrote about his life and career, but are there any specifically about the show? I think it would be great to know how the cast got along during those eight years, pictures from the set, etc. I guess it doesn't help that most of the actors are gone, but that hasn't stopped other shows from being written about.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Benno123
Forum Regular
Jenna Fischer Rocks My World!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etrulia63
I've been able to watch Burns and Allen on Antenna TV for almost a year now and have to say it's become one of my favorite shows. The lack of DVDs/publicity/discussion for the show, however, is discouraging. I think if more people had the chance to see it they'd see how funny, put together and classy the show was. Which brings me to my main question...

Do any books about the show itself exist? I know there are several that George wrote about his life and career, but are there any specifically about the show? I think it would be great to know how the cast got along during those eight years, pictures from the set, etc. I guess it doesn't help that most of the actors are gone, but that hasn't stopped other shows from being written about.

Here you go, and it includes an episode guide as well. Maybe not a great work of art, but an enjoyable read and one that all Burns and Allen fans should read:

http://www.amazon.com/Say-Goodnight-...4270070&sr=1-3
Old 04-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Etrulia63
Occasional Poster

Thank you so much! It looks like a great read. I'll be sure to edit this post once I finish reading it so I can give my two cents.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
jayman75
I Love the 80s!

I own that book... it's been years since I've read it, but it definitely was something good if I purchased it years ago.

I also like George's book "Gracie: A Love Story." While this is all about their history as couple, a great deal of time is spent on the radio and TV shows. You can usually find this book relatively easy, since it came out in George's later life.

Looking forward to your review!!

The Golden Girls, The Facts of Life, Roseanne, Will and Grace, The Wonder Years, Burns and Allen, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Are You Being Served?, Family Guy, South Park, Designing Women, Dallas, The Twilight Zone, Original Scooby-Doo, Murphy Brown, The Big Bang Theory...

Talk to me about one of these shows, and I'm all yours...
Old 08-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
sabrelucynut
Frequent Poster
sabrelucynut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno123
Here you go, and it includes an episode guide as well. Maybe not a great work of art, but an enjoyable read and one that all Burns and Allen fans should read:

http://www.amazon.com/Say-Goodnight-...4270070&sr=1-3
Thanks for that info, I just got it fom Amazon and love it!

Janice

Lover of classic TV
Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Benno123
Forum Regular
Jenna Fischer Rocks My World!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrelucynut
Thanks for that info, I just got it fom Amazon and love it!

Great, glad I could help! If you can also pick up Gracie: A Love Story by George Burns, while not a history of the show it is a great read. Plus a lot of TV show stories are shared.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
sabrelucynut
Frequent Poster
sabrelucynut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno123
Great, glad I could help! If you can also pick up Gracie: A Love Story by George Burns, while not a history of the show it is a great read. Plus a lot of TV show stories are shared.

Thansk I already have that one!
Old 05-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
Nivri
Frequent Poster

Another recently published book about the series as well as other shows George Burns produced is titled "George Burns Television Productions" available through Amazon.