Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Netflix Gets 2 More Comedies; YouTube Orders Wayne, a New Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 24, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Orders Multi-Camera Sitcom with Melissa Joan Hart and Sean Astin; Three New Seasons of Bob's Burgers on DVD
Fri-Yay: BoJack Horseman is as Delightfully Sad as Ever in Season 5; The Guest Book Returns Oct. 23 on TBS with More Guests
The Goldbergs Coming to TV Land; grown-ish Returns in January on Freeform
South Park 8 Day Marathon on Comedy Central; Classic Adult Swim Comedy Returns with Special
NBC Fall Pilot Review: I Feel Bad - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 19); 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners
Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-12-2004, 09:24 PM   #181
musicradio77
Disney Expert

Send a message via MSN to musicradio77 Send a message via Yahoo to musicradio77
Unhappy 5 Years ago, today

On this date, September 13th, 1999:

Radio station WNEW-FM concludes its broadcast day after 32 years as a progressive rock station since the station started back in 1967. The last song that was played was called "The End" by the Beatles, from the album "Abbey Road". The station had changed its format to a talk format. That lasted until 2003 before station changed again to Blink 102.7. That station also lasted more than 6 months until they made the change again to a Christmas format which lasted through the holidays and then, the station had changed once again to Mix 102.7 FM playing the best music ever. In May, the station shifted its format from AC to a classic dance station which it plays more rhythmic, featuring many of its great artists like Donna Summer, Barry White, Ricky Martin, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson and even today's artists like Beyonce and some many artists of today.

Last edited by musicradio77; 09-13-2004 at 08:35 PM.
musicradio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 08:21 PM   #182
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Default Re: 5 Years ago, tomorrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Full House
On this date, tomorrow, September 13th, 1999:

Radio station WNEW-FM concludes its broadcast day after 32 years as a progressive rock station since the station started back in 1967. The last song that was played was called "The End" by the Beatles, from the album "Abbey Road". The station had changed its format to a talk format. That lasted until 2003 before station changed again to Blink 102.7. That station also lasted more than 6 months until they made the change again to a Christmas format which lasted through the holidays and then, the station had changed once again to Mix 102.7 FM playing the best music ever. In May, the station shifted its format from AC to a classic dance station which it plays more rhythmic, featuring many of its great artists like Donna Summer, Barry White, Ricky Martin, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson and even today's artists like Beyonce and some many artists of today.
And we shouldn't expect a decent rock station in New York ever again, because New York is, now and until the end of time, a disco town. (Gene Simmons pointed this out. Really.)

Miscellaneous Musings

Pictures of Beautiful Women

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE:

REPUBLICAN GOVERNORS SCOTT WALKER - RICK SNYDER - JOHN KASICH - RICK SCOTT - PAUL LePAGE

ON THE CHARGE OF IMPERSONATING AN OFFICE!!

Last edited by Steve M.; 09-26-2004 at 08:39 PM.
Steve M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:53 PM   #183
musicradio77
Disney Expert

Unhappy Ron Lundy's Final Days

I must forgot to go back since I didn't post it for the last two days. It was September 13th also of 1997. Ron Lundy did his last Saturday show on WCBS-FM. Here are two parts of his last Saturday show. This is from Allen Sniffen's Musicradio 77 website:

Quote:
In part 1: CBS-FM DJ Mike Fitzgerald introduces Ron's last Saturday show, Ron comments onhis "handsome" newsman, the special "top-of-the-hour last Saturday" intro, the trademark "Hello Love!" and Ron working his usual magic moving in and out of the songs. Ron is not the sentimental type but he acknowledges that he is leaving and speaks about it.

At WABC Ron had an engineer but at CBS-FM hedid all of his own broadwork. As our favorite WABC engineer Bill Epperhart pointed out, listen to the way he works the songs together.
Here is Part 1 of Ron's last Saturday show.

In part 2 of this show:

Quote:
CBS-FM Program Director Joe McCoy (before Dave Logan took over in 2004) calls Ron on the telephone (and comments about how Ron's retirement was "all over the internet..."), a Cousin Brucie promo and Dan has been doing at the end of Ron's Saturday show for several years now. Ron speaks of his former WABC collegagues as "He" (Dan Ingram) and "Him" (Cousin Brucie).

Ron plays "Everybody's Talkin'" from the movie "Midnight Cowboy" WABC fans will remember that it was Ron's voice that it was used in that movie when John Voight and Dustin Hoffman arrive in New York and are listening to a transistor radio on the bus. Ron does not specifically mention this here, but this song has special meaning to him for that reason.

Ron has a wonderful one on one connection with his audience. No one on radio is more likeable. He has a very special rhythm which always comes through when he is on the air.

Notice also the Series #27 PAMS jingles made so famous by WABC that are being used on CBS-FM.
This is Part 2 of Ron's last Saturday show.

On this date, September 15th, 1997, Ron Lundy did his last four days of CBS-FM before he retires. Here is an aircheck of Monday show. Tomorrow will have more on Ron Lundy and his final days at CBS-FM.

(Airchecks are all courtesy of musicradio.77.com)

NOTE: All airchecks are scoped

Last edited by musicradio77; 09-15-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:49 PM   #184
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

One hundred and ninety years ago yesterday - September 14, 1814 - Francis Scott Key, having watched the British bombardment of Fort McHenry near Baltimore, wrote the poem "The Star-Spangled Banner" after seeing the U.S. flag still flying after the battle.

Set to the music of an old English drinking song, with the world "free" set to a note too proposterously high for any singer to reach, it quickly becaem a popular patriotic song and was made the national anthem in 1931, angering advocates for "America The Beautiful."

Last edited by Steve M.; 09-17-2004 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:54 PM   #185
musicradio77
Disney Expert

Unhappy Ron Lundy's Final Days - Day 2

On this date, September 16th, 1997:

Ron Lundy has 2 more days to go before the party is over. That's right! Ron does his Tuesday show on Ron's final week on CBS-FM. You can listen to it here.

(Aircheck courtesy of musciradio77.com)
Old 09-16-2004, 06:51 PM   #186
musicradio77
Disney Expert

Default Ron Lundy's Article from Newsday

Also this same date in 1997, Newsday in NYC has an article about his last days with Ron Lundy. This is what the article says about 8 years ago, today:

Quote:
RON LUNDY'S DRAWL VANISHES FROM N.Y.
By Peter Goodman

"I DON'T KNOW if anybody has been luckier that I have been in the business," exclaimed Ron Lundy in the sweet Tenneesse drawl with which he's caressed New York's airwaves for 32 years. "I've worked with the best people, I've been in the same places so long, and I love the mail I get. You couldn't ask for better listeners."

But after noon on Thursday, Lundy's cheerful voice won't be heard over WCBS/101.1 FM anymore - or any other radio station, for that matter. That trademark greeting, "Hello Love!!!, This is Ron Lundy in the greatest city in the world," which got a landmark cameo in the 1969 film "Midnight Cowboy" and was worked into Starship's 1985 hit "We Built This City," is going to become history.

Ron Lundy, 63 is about to retire "I don't know what I'm going to do, but I'm not going to work anymore," Lundy said in a phone interview last week from his studio at WCBS. "I've got no plans. I'll just try to get settled on the farm, about 100 miles southeast of Memphis. I'll probably write a book or two."

Memphis is where it all began - the music and Lundy's own career, which just about parallels the life of rock and roll. "It was my music," he recalled. "We started listening to it around 1950, when I was just coming to high school. Guys like Dewey Phillips, all black music, rhythm and blues. There was the W.C. Handy Theater in Memphis. On Friday nights at midnight there was midnight ramble, and all the kids would be there. It would be something, really - Laverne Baker, Ruth Brown, Louis Jordan."

Lundy had no idea he wanted to be a disc jockey, but he got a job as a gofer ("assistant record librarian, maybe not even that") at WHMM in Memphis. One night about two months after he started, a newly hired DJ got his work schedule mixed up and didn't show for the 7 to 11 PM shift, so Lundy was pressed into service. "I was on the air for one night, and this guy station. He heard me on the radio, gave me a call that night and they gave me a job in Greenville [Miss.] the next day."

From WDDT in Greenville, Lundy's path took him to WLCS, Baton Rouge, LA.; WIL, St. Louis; and then to New York - first at WABC from 1965 until it switched from music to talk in 1982, and then at oldies-format WCBS from 1984 until this coming Thursday. (His replacement will be another veteran, Dan Daniel of onetime rival WMCA.)

"I never liked anything the first time I heard it," Lundy asserted. "I'd have to hear it three or four times." Except the Beatles' 'Help!'" At WIL in St. Louis, I played that twenty-five times in the first two hours the afternoon I got it." You can't do that on the radio anymore, what with playlists and formats and fragmented audiences and tremendous competition. "Those were different times, when I was coming up," Lundy said.

And now he's leaving, though he hasn't talked about it on the air. "I don't want to do that till the last day. Hope they haven't got much planned. It's going to be sad enough."
Old 09-17-2004, 10:38 PM   #187
musicradio77
Disney Expert

Default Ron Lundy Almost to "The End"

On this date, September 17, 1997:

Ron Lundy is almost right next to the last show on CBS-FM. Here is an aircheck of Ron Lundy's third next to last show.

Also on this same date, David Hinckley wrote about Ron Lundy and his final show taken from the Daily News:

Quote:
SAYING "BYE-BYE" TO A LUNDY-FUL WORLD
By David Hinckley

Joe McCoy, program director of WCBS-FM (101.1) suggests "Bye Bye Love" might be appropriate as Ron Lundy's last record as a full-time disc jockey in New York.

But Lundy, who retires tomorrow after 32 years split between WABC and WCBS-FM, says he doesn't know yet just what the last record will be. He does figure that, at some point during his 9 AM-noon shift, he'll play "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones, the first record he played in New York back in 1965.

What he knows for sure is this: By sunset Friday, he'll be down in Mississippi, slapping his feet up on the porch railing "and probably thinking to myself, 'Where are all the disc jockeys?'"

One of the big ones will be gone. Lundy's booming "Hello, Love!!!" is a signature of New York radio, and some of the jocks who have been on the radio alongside him since WABC say it's not just a line.

"What you see is what you get with Ron," says Bruce Morrow. "He's one of the sweetest, gentlest people you'll ever meet. Not having Ron on the air, after all these years, is going to be a strange feeling."

"Ron doesn't know only follow me on the radio, he's my friend," says Harry Harrison. "Years ago, I'd bring my kids in to work and they'd sit on Ron's lap. He's still Uncle Ron to them. He's a super deejay and a super guy."

"Ron's probably my best friend in the whole world," says Dan Ingram. "I'v eknown him since I was the PD [program director] at WIL in St. Louis and I brought him up from Mississippi. Then we were both lucky enough to get to New York.

"Ron's always been an urban kind of Southern guy. I think he enjoyed New York for what he could get out of it, like most people do. But I think he'll be happy to get back down home. I think he'll enjoy the hell out of retirement."

Lundy says he intends to do just that. WCBS-FM, where he started in 1984, "has been the best 13 years of my life. I'm leaving just the way I want to."
(Aircheck courtesy of musicradio77.com)
Old 09-20-2004, 05:56 PM   #188
musicradio77
Disney Expert

Unhappy Ron Lundy Says Goodbye for the Last Time

I must forgot to go back to over the weekend because the internet won't work. It was on that date, September 17th, 1997, Ron Lundy says goodbye for the last time on CBS-FM. Ron's final show started right before 8:53 AM where Harry Harrison (the DJ who left CBS-FM last year) played a montage of several WABC airchecks followed by a goodbye to Ron. At 9:04 AM, Ron Lundy his final farewell show featuring a segment called "This Is Your Life: Ron Lundy" (a spoof of Ralph Edwards TV classic) narrated by former CBS-FM program director, Joe McCoy and it features Ron doing the voice of "Momma". During the show, Ron called former WABC morning show host and former "Music of Your Life" Sunday afternoon host, Herb Oscar Anderson and then Don K. Reed makes an appearences with Lenny Cocco on the phone. This is Part 1 of his last show.

On the second part of the show, Ron called former WMCA DJ, Gary Stevens about he got the job at WABC. At 10:02, Ron says "Hello Love!!!" for the last time. Ron brought in his special guest, Chuck Leonard (who passed away back in August) discussed about a woman toll collector friend of Chuck's taking Ron's ring off at a tollbooth at the George Washington Bridge.
Ron told Chuck that the song "Don't Be Cruel" was sung by Elvis Presley and Ron yelled "ELVIS!!!", kinda like Dave Seville who his trademark "ALVIN!!!" from the Chipmunks. At 10:17 AM, Dan Ingram played his German hard nosed program director about having a meeting on Monday. That a joke! Ron brought in Dan Ingram to the mix has been on the radio for 37 years. Ron had a phone called by former WABC DJ, George Michael (not George Michael, the singer) by telephone about his "Wile Child" days in St. Louis at WIL. This is part 2 of his last show.

On this third part, Ron brought in former program director for CBS-FM, Joe McCoy about starting at CBS-FM, 20 years ago back in 1984. Ron called Jim Kerr at WPLJ, WPIX-FM (not WPIX-TV) and those other ones to wish Ron well for his retirement. as well as Ed Baer. And then former WABC news people Kathleen Maloney stops by. In addition to that, Ron makes a brief appearence by the voice of "Willard", the one who sounded like Donald Duck. Former mayor of NYC, Rudolph Guiliani calls Ron to wish him well. Harry came back with some hugs and goodbyes and then Ron, Hary and Dan discusses about the Beatles and Elvis. He also tells the story about Dan Ingram where he was from his formative years at KBOX in Dallas before Dan moved to St. Louis where he met Ron. Dan Daniel talks about his replacement after taking Ron's place. At 11:22 AM, Cousin Brucie stops by and the studio was filled in with radio and TV people scattered across the way. This is part 3 of Ron's last show.

Around this time, Norm N. Nite gave Ron a copy of his book "Rock On Almanac" filled with lots of autographs by celebrities. Jimmy Clanton called in on the phone, one of Ron's best friends. After he finished talking, Jimmy sang a rendition of Dionne Warwick's tune "That's What Friends Are For". At 11:35 AM, Irv Gikofsky (aka Mr. "G") of CBS-FM and WPIX-TV says goodbye along with Bill Brown, Bob Shannon and Bobby Jay. At 11:40 AM, Harry came back for saying goodbye to Ron with his plaque with a picture that was taken since Ron first came to CBS-FM back in 1984. Maura Mason, CBS-FM GM drops by and at 11:55 AM, Ron says goodbye to as many CBS-FM staffers as he can and tells one last story about collect calls to McCoy. Ron Lundy was saying that he'll be back to the Radio Greats Reunion Weekend the following year and Ron thanked to all the listeners who came by for the past years. And finally, at 12:04 PM, Ron Lundy plays the last song by the Everly Brothers called "Bye Bye Love" and played a montage of songs that wished goodbye to Ron Lundy. This is part 4 of his final show.

An era had finally come to an end. It was the beginning of a new one.

It was also yesterday, September 19th 1997, Dan Daniel arrived at CBS-FM to do his first show since Ron's retirement. You can listen to it here. Dan stayed at CBS-FM until his final show in 2002. Dan Daniel on CBS-FM lasted about 6 years.

And it was on this date, September 20th 1997, Dan Ingram had started doing his show where he did his announcent saying "Ron Lundy has Left the Building" a parody of "Elvis has left the building." This was the last one you'll ever heard. You can also listen to it here.

As I said before, Ron's retirement came to TV. Here is a news clip of Ron's retirement. (Courtesy of WCBS, Channel 2)

(Airchecks courtesy of musicradio77.com

NOTE: All airchecks are scoped.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:23 PM   #189
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Unhappy September 20, 1973 - Jim Croce dies in a plane crash

On this day in 1973, September 20, singer-songwriter Jim Croce boarded a small plane in Natchitoches, Louisiana, to fly to the last stop on his 1973 tour. He never made it there; right after the plane took off, it crashed into a grove of trees, killing everyone on board.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:48 PM   #190
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

On yesterday's date (September 22) in 1965, the Who's Roger Datlrey punched Keith Moon during an argument. Pete Townshend decided to forgive Datlrey and let him stay in the band after seriously considering firing him, an action that would have affected rock history in unfathomable ways!

Last edited by Steve M.; 09-26-2004 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:59 PM   #191
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

On this day in 1991, September 28, jazz legend Miles Davis died.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:01 PM   #192
Brad
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
Forum Veteran

On this date in 2004, Brian Wilson finally released his legendary SMiLE album after 37 years.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:27 PM   #193
vashti1999
NY METS - #1
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA
On this date in 2004, Brian Wilson finally released his legendary SMiLE album after 37 years.
I had a feeling that was what your post was about. I was going to ask you how'd you like it, but needless to say, that's a dumb question.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:33 PM   #194
Brad
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by vashti1999
I had a feeling that was what your post was about. I was going to ask you how'd you like it, but needless to say, that's a dumb question.
It's absolutely gorgeous. It should be in everyone's collection.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:38 PM   #195
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Smile "The Magic Flute"

On this day in 1791, September 30, Mozart's opera "The Magic Flute" premiered in Vienna.