Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Sports
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 23, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Goldbergs Spinoff Happening After All; Grey's Anatomy Renewed for Fifteenth Season
Fri-Yay: Superstore is Doing the Will They/Won't They Story Arc Right; Laff Pays Tribute to Harry Anderson
CBS Picks Up 11 More Returning Series for 2018-19; BET 2018 Upfront
Carol Burnett Gets Netflix Series; Futurama on Syfy, Marathon on 4/20
The Goldbergs 1990s Spinoff Ordered for ABC; Remembering Harry Anderson of Night Court
It's a Living Coming to Logo on April 21; Hollywood Darlings Returns Wednesday on Pop
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 16, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mad About You Reboot One Step Closer to Reality; The Simpsons Addresses Concerns About Character of Apu
Fri-Yay: New Girl Begins Its Final Season; Trial & Error Returns to NBC July 19

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March/April)

Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season One Day at a Time - Season Two Perfect Strangers  - The Complete Third Season

02/06 - All in the Family - Seasons 1-5
02/06 - Bosom Buddies - The Complete Series
02/06 - Women of the House - Complete 12 Episode Series
02/13 - Broad City - Season 4
02/13 - Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door Collection
02/27 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Seventh Season
02/27 - Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season
02/27 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
03/06 - Atlanta - The Complete First Season
03/06 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Ninth Season
03/13 - The New Adventures of Old Christine - The Complete First Season
03/27 - One Day at a Time - Season Two
04/03 - Ballers - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/03 - 90's Sitcom (Just Shoot Me!/The Larry Sanders Show/Wings) Starter Set - Season 1 & 2 Bundle
04/10 - Vice Principals - The Compelte Series
04/17 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-30-2015, 02:09 AM   #1
simmytbone

Default Bill Laimbeer: 'There's no question I would take LeBron James' over Michael Jordan

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...171239375.html

Bill Laimbeer: 'There's no question I would take LeBron James' over Michael Jordan
By Kelly Dwyer 5/29/15
Ball Don't Lie

First off, can we just agree that player comparisons – especially player comparisons that transcend eras – are pretty dumb?

Michael Jordan retired, for the third and final time, two months before LeBron James was drafted into the NBA. He plays around the same position as James, in a lot of ways the shooting guard and small forward slot are interchangeable, and both players (eight years for James, seven for MJ) took a long and tortured route to their first championship. They dunk a lot, and unless LeBron is working out of Miami, they wear the same number.

They’re one of just five players on the court at a time, and they do a lot of similar things in a team game that can be dominated by a lone individual. This is why we compare them. It’s silly, but we do.

And on Thursday, possibly motivated by decades-long enmity toward Michael Jordan, Bill Laimbeer went on the Dan Patrick Show to not just compare LeBron and Michael, but to cast a vote for the younger model:

Quote:
There's no question I would take LeBron James. He can do more. Michael Jordan could score and make big shots and look spectacular at times with wild flying dunks, but LeBron can get you 18 rebounds, get you 15 assists or score 50 if he wants to. The triple threat that he poses is just phenomenal, and the size, he just physically dominates. It's impressive.

Look at what LeBron has in the Finals right now. Could anybody else in the world have led this team of role players to the Finals right now? I don't think so. Jordan could not have led this team to the Finals. LeBron came into the league knowing how to play basketball and involve his teammates. Jordan had to learn that, and they had to assemble some great teammates around him in order for him to win.

(Transcription courtesy Ananth Pandian at CBS Sports.)

This is infuriating. This is biased. This is scheming. This is self-serving.

This also might be right!

The current, ball-dominating version of LeBron, despite his advanced age, distinctly reminds of the Michael Jordan that led the Chicago Bulls in 1989 and 1990. That second season, ostensibly, featured Michael working within the triangle offense, but he and his emerging teammates were still figuring that structure out, and Jordan had to act as a big-point and big-assist guy for his growing team to merely compete against great outfits.

Those teams fell twice to Laimbeer’s Detroit Pistons, a Pistons team that would go on to win the championship in both those years. LeBron’s 2015 Cavaliers had no such championship team (or even championship contender) in the postseason bracket, so it’s more than probable that Jordan’s colt-legged Bulls could have made it past this year’s Celtics, Bulls and Hawks and into the Finals. In taking LeBron over MJ, Laimbeer only heightened the similarities between the two.

With Kevin Love out for most of the postseason and Kyrie Irving either out or hobbling in these playoffs, James has put up brilliant box score numbers. His usage rate, however, is through the roof and his efficiency has shot down from its typical heights as he’s had to force every possession (even the clangs that turn into Tristan Thompson put-backs) through his hands.

Comparing LeBron and Jordan isn’t sacrilege. They both have their faults – Jordan would look off teammates and hurt his team, LeBron has lost playoffs series’ on his own by declining to take over Jordan-style – but it’s just fine for even an obvious dung-stirrer like Laimbeer to do so. LeBron James entered this league with the game’s express written consent to finish his career as The Greatest Ever, and in a lot of ways it will be a disappointment if he doesn’t reach that status.

Jordan pushed himself to maddening heights before, after three years of hinting at burnout, he retired in 1993 because he badly needed a break. LeBron has taken no such break, and yet he’s still the subject of taunts and dull internet memes for cramping up deep into May and June despite playing deep into May and June for 10 seasons now. Jordan “only” went that long from 1988-1993, and made the Finals three times before having to step aside. LeBron is about to play in his fifth straight Finals, and sixth overall.

From there, the comparisons (especially daft ones that include points per game and the like) have to take a breather. Jordan spent his late teens and early 20s playing 30 games a year at North Carolina. James spent the same space of time averaging 40 minutes a night playing against grown men in the NBA. Jordan played international ball just once while working in the pros and credited it for part of his burnout, while James has toured with Team USA in the summer five different times.

On top of that? It’s a team game. One can rule above all, but context matters.

Bill Laimbeer is acting the roll of the buffoonish troll yet again. Still, it is perfectly acceptable to name both Michael Jordan and LeBron James in the same sentence.

It’s not acceptable to list Bill Laimbeer in the same sentence, however, which is why we avoided it in the previous sentence.

credit: sports.yahoo.com

I agree with the editor, it seems as if Laimbeer can't get rid of the bad taste in his mouth and is still bitter towards Jordan's success

Atlanta Falcons: RISE UP
Old 05-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
isiahthomas
Forum Veteran

Who cares what Bill Laimbeer's b*tch ass thinks about Lebron being better than Michael Jordan LOL. Michael is better than Lebron and Lebron wishes he could be better than Michael hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Bill is just mad that his punk ass finally got beat by the Bulls in 1991 when Chicago swept them to go to the finals for the first time. Everything was alright as long as Detroit beat Chicago for 3 straight years 1988, 1989, 1990 in the playoffs. But when Detroit got beat in 1991 in the last game, the Detroit players left the court early in the 4th quarter and they walked past the Bulls players without shaking their hands. I was a Detroit fan back then but I hated how they treated the Bulls because that's not how you play basketball. I hated how they used to beat up their opponents and Dennis Rodman, Bill and Rick Mahorn were the ones that were dirty. That's why it was weird to me when Dennis joined the Bulls because he used to beat up Scottie Pippen and Michael Jordan.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
isiahthomas
Forum Veteran

Joe Dumars and John Salley were the only Detroit players who shook the Bulls players hands in that last game in 1991 in the playoffs. Those guys have class and I liked that. John joined the Bulls later and won a couple of championships.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:24 AM   #4
simmytbone

Yeah, I saw that on ESPN 30 for 30 and I could not BELIEVE that they were that dirty

Of course, didn't watch much NBA back in the 80's except for on TNT

also, Bill Laimbeer needs to get that bad taste out of his mouth, but seeing his interviews, he was still the same old cocky s.o.b.

If you ask me, LeBron James is not only a wannabe Michael Jordan, but he's Isiah Thomas Version 2 lol

also, I heard so many players could not STAND the Pistons or Bill Laimbeer or Rick Mahorn (as one guy from Detroit called them the WWE Tag Team)

Guys like Kevin McHale, Patrick Ewing, Dominique Wilkins, James Worthy, Horace Grant or even Scotty Pippen couldn't stand them and Pippen said that he hated Isiah Thomas

But when Laimbeer attacked the Celtics, Robert Parrish finally gave Laimbeer a taste of his OWN Medicine

and also, when the Lakers won back to back in 1987-1988, the Pistons started struggling and that's when they traded Adrian Dantley for Mark Aguirre and he said that he's better than AD player to player, ain't no comparison and that's how they won their 1st NBA Title in 1989 and when the 89/90 Season came abroad, they added 2 NEW Franchises in the Orlando Magic and the Minnesota Timberwolves and Rick Mahorn went to the T-Wolves, but the Pistons would once again give the Bulls fits and also, isiahthomas, it's been 25 years since the Pistons won back to back titles

25 years ago, saw the Portland Trailblazers and the Detroit Pistons go head to head and this was the 1st time that the Final did not feature the Lakers or the Celtics and Joe Dumars lost his father before tip-off in one of those games and even though Laimbeer took credit for what he did, it was Dumars that really shined in Portland and in Game #5, the Microwave made the FINAL Game Winning Shot to give'em 2 consecutive NBA Titles and they even won it w/o Rick Mahorn

also, when the NBA moved to NBC (which IMO, was THE Greatest Moment in the NBA) 1991 was the FINAL Year for the Detroit Pistons in the Eastern Conference Finals after 5 straight and when the Bulls FINALLY swept the Pistons, they were mentally strong and even Dumars looked at them and said "They're Us" and when Game #4 came aboard, that's when Michael Jordan said a lot of things about the Pistons and not only did it stuck the Pistons in the Heart, but it also stuck Detroit in the Heart and rightfully so b/c let's face it, Michael Jordan and the Bulls ended the Pistons' Reign of Terror in the Central Division and the Eastern Conference

and Dick Ebersol called them Street Yard Bullies when they walked out of the arena w/o even shaking their hands

and even Mark Aguirre said it best "Jordan is Jordan, he's the best player on the planet, he just needed some help and that day, Scottie Pippen, Grew Up"

Bill Laimbeer gonna say that age caught up with the Bad Boys and Dumars stated that it was mental fatigue, physical fatigue and when the Bulls FINALLY started RULING the NBA, that's when the Bad Boys began to crumble

Please correct me if I'm wrong about anything my brother

also, I like Joe Dumars, he is a classy guy and I also like John Salley, he's another classy guy from the Pistons as well

also, what do ya make of Chuck Daly as a Coach and Jack McCloskey as a GM? also, what do ya make of Mark Aguirre? Was he a Bad Boy or a Good Guy?

Plus, Dennis Rodman went to the Spurs before he went to the Bulls and the Spurs did the right thing by getting rid of him

and when Bill Laimbeer got swept, he said "They won" like 5 times in his interview

Plus, when the Summer of '92 came and the Summer Olympics came to Barcelona, Spain, the USA Basketball Team had Jordan, Magic and Bird, but Isiah was left off the roster
Old 06-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
isiahthomas
Forum Veteran

I agree with everything you said. Mark Aguirre is a good man but I think Adrian Dantley was a good player and Detroit should've kept him. Adrian said he got mad at Isiah Thomas when he was traded because he said he felt Isiah had him traded so he could get his buddy Mark. Adrian lives in Maryland I believe where I live because he's from Washington DC. He has a job working at a school in Maryland I read but I forgot what his job is. RIP Chuck Daly. He was a good coach but I do think he was wrong for the way he had his players playing because beating up your opponents and fouling them hard isn't the way to play basketball. I remember Isiah didn't get on the first Dream Team because most of the players didn't like him. I heard Isiah tried to be a part owner of the New York Liberty women's basketball team in the WNBA recently and he got denied. Did you hear about that? He got a job with the NBA network as a studio broadcaster and I think he should stick with that because he's a good broadcaster. I can't believe he's 54 years old and he still looks the same like he did years ago LOL. He's aged well.

I felt bad for Isiah when I saw a interview with him on Youtube and he talked about how he grew up in Chicago. He said he was very poor and he always got into fights with blacks at school because black boys would diss his clothes and shoes. I can relate to that even though I didn't grow up poor but I got dissed by black boys at school about my clothes and shoes. That's why I hate a lot of black men because a lot of them are ignorant and always dissing and laughing at each other and trying to start fights. It's sad that so many of them kill each other and go to prison but I laugh at them when that happens because black neighborhoods are better off without them.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:40 AM   #6
simmytbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiahthomas
I agree with everything you said. Mark Aguirre is a good man but I think Adrian Dantley was a good player and Detroit should've kept him. Adrian said he got mad at Isiah Thomas when he was traded because he said he felt Isiah had him traded so he could get his buddy Mark. Adrian lives in Maryland I believe where I live because he's from Washington DC. He has a job working at a school in Maryland I read but I forgot what his job is. RIP Chuck Daly. He was a good coach but I do think he was wrong for the way he had his players playing because beating up your opponents and fouling them hard isn't the way to play basketball. I remember Isiah didn't get on the first Dream Team because most of the players didn't like him. I heard Isiah tried to be a part owner of the New York Liberty women's basketball team in the WNBA recently and he got denied. Did you hear about that? He got a job with the NBA network as a studio broadcaster and I think he should stick with that because he's a good broadcaster. I can't believe he's 54 years old and he still looks the same like he did years ago LOL. He's aged well.

I felt bad for Isiah when I saw a interview with him on Youtube and he talked about how he grew up in Chicago. He said he was very poor and he always got into fights with blacks at school because black boys would diss his clothes and shoes. I can relate to that even though I didn't grow up poor but I got dissed by black boys at school about my clothes and shoes. That's why I hate a lot of black men because a lot of them are ignorant and always dissing and laughing at each other and trying to start fights. It's sad that so many of them kill each other and go to prison but I laugh at them when that happens because black neighborhoods are better off without them.

I can relate to that as well

I grew up with blacks and whites and I lived in a black neighborhood, but I have more white friends than I do blacks and I have more white lady friends than I did anyone else:

I got dissed by black guys as well, but thankfully, I didn't hang out with thugs, drug dealers or killers b/c I would've been in jail, too and Thank GOD that I have NEVER been to jail

My father (God Rest His Soul) told me to always be careful who I associate with

and to this day, the ones that I'm friends with, they take care of me just like I take care of them, but the ones that use to be my friends, I just stay away from them and not give out too much information about myself

also, I did hear something about that and also, Bill Laimbeer is now coaching the WNBA New York Liberty and yes, I enjoy hearing Isiah Thomas on NBA TV and on the NBA on TNT

He has aged really well, God Bless Him

Last edited by simmytbone : 08-08-2015 at 02:41 PM.