Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Fall Pilot Review: Selfie - Premieres Tuesday, Sept. 30; Starz Gives Us Sampling of LeBron James Produced Comedy
Week 1 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: Hub Network to Rebrand; Mork & Mindy to be Completed on DVD?
CBS Doubles Up on Big Bang on Mondays, Moves Mom; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 29, 2014)
Bounce TV Fall 2014 Info; Vintage SNL to Air in Primetime on Saturday Nights
VH1 Big Morning Buzz Live Returns with Comedic Co-Host; Hulu's New Series 11/22/63 Coming Soon
ABC Fall Pilot Review: black-ish - Premieres September 24; USA Network Schedules New Comedy Benched for Oct. 28

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)

New Girl - The Complete Season Three The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season

09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
Blanche Devereux
Occasional Poster

Default RUE FACELIFT- AND BEATRICE ARTHUR- CAN ANYONE ELSE TELL?

iS IT JUST ME THAT CAN TELL THAT RUE HAD ALREADY HAD A FACELIFT BEFORE GG? IN THE FIRST FEW EPS SHE LOOKED NICE, AND OBVIUSLY HAD HAD SURGERY. BY THE THIRD EP HER FACE LOOKED CHISSLED AND MARKS ARPUND HER MOUTH TELL ME SHE HAD A FACELIFT. BEATRICE ALSO HAD ONE. ITS OBVOIUS WITH BEAS MARKS AROUND HER MOUTH!! CAN ANYONE ELSE SEE THEM. RUE ALSO NOW LOOKS 50 NOT HER AGE- 71!!
Old 10-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
boechsner

Well, when they appeared on Maude back in the 70s, there was a second season two-part episode called Maude's Facelift. The story goes:

Maude discovers that Vivan has had a facelift and decides to get one herself.

If I'm not mistaken, both Bea Arthur and Rue McClanahan actually had the facelifts done.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

Smile

I always thoughts Rue had a face-lift after the first season was over. If you compare her appearance from the first season to the second, there's a pretty big difference. Bea looks like she had a face-lift after the third season, but again, I could be wrong. An average face-lift is good for about ten years, so the math is right, if both Bea and Rue had plastic surgery while starring in Maude. The lighting on the show was much better during the third season, however. I know Betty has admitted to having an upper and lower eye lift before taping the pilot episode of Golden Girls. I don't believe Estelle ever indulged in any cosmetic surgery, as her character was always in aging makeup anyway!

Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book

The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!
Old 10-05-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
Blanche Devereux
Occasional Poster

thanks for your replys. do you think they have had nythin done since the end of gg? do you think rue has marks around her mouth in gg? i always thought rue had a big chin and bea had marks abouve her top lip
Old 10-05-2005, 06:24 PM   #5
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

After seeing Bea on the Pamela Anderson Roast and Rue recently on an episode of Hope & Faith, I'd say that they have both had additional surgeries over the past decade or so since The Golden Girls went out of production. Rue looks particlarly youthful, with nary a wrinkle or sag on her face. Bea looks striking now that she's in her 80s!!! I would say that they've both had another face-lift as well as neck and eye lifts and perhaps chemical peels as well to smooth out the skin. They have both been open and honest about their cosmetic surgeries and have been an inspiration to other women seeking to improve or maintain their appearance!
Old 10-05-2005, 10:33 PM   #6
RoseNylund
Frequent Poster
Back in St. Olaf...

Estelle might have had plastic urgery. She mentions in The Golden Palace that she got a "neck neck" and shows off a very wrinkle-free neck. Who knows, though.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
Blanche Devereux
Occasional Poster

IN GG I FELT THAT RUES FACE DIDNT SUIT THE FACELIFT SHE HAD;. HER CHIN LOOKED BIG AND WITH THE STRECH LINES AROUND HER MOUTH, MADE IT WORSE.WHEN WAS RUE OPEN ABOUT SURGERY? NEVER HEARD HER SAY ANYTHIN! ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH THE GG WERE PAID?
Old 03-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Loopie63
Forum Regular

Bea had her eyes done for sure. Years ago on Maude she had very heavy upper eyelids.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
Libraesque
Occasional Poster

I haven't seen an episode of Maude for a long time, but I can remember way back then that Rue looked very much her age if not older, and she had SUPER SUPER bad skin, you can tell she had a severe acne problem. It's pretty obvious that she and Bea both had extensive surgery. I forget what season it was but it seemed that one of Beas eyes started to droop
Old 03-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
OOliver
Forum Regular

Yes, they both had extensive work done - you can tell. Bea looked younger in the GG than she did ten years earlier. Same with Rue.

On Bea you can see she has a crooked mouth (which was a sign of plastic surgery back in the 80s when it was still new). Today, she'd be talking with a frozen mouth (think Joan Rivers, Cher). Bea also has one chin - in Maude she had a double chin.

On Rue you can see she had her eyes lifted back then, as well as her cheeks. She almost has the 'marionette' look - again, a tell-tale sign from the 80s plastic surgeons.

I think the 'lines around the mouth' is actually from cigarette smoking.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #11
Betsybk
First Time Poster

I am new here & I am just so pleased to find other GG fans!
I lov e this show.
I watch every episode I can find at any time of day or night.
I have to have my GG fix everyday & night to even sleep! lol!

Anyway, glad to see I'm not alone. My hubby & 17 year old son don't understand my fascination with the Golden Girls. hehe.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
SamanthaB
Occasional Poster

Bea definitely had a facelift during Maude as I remember her saying in an interview she had a facelift and suggested it as an issue for a Maude episode.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

TV

I happened to catch the episode of Maude last night where Rue's character Vivian surprises everyone by having a facelift, especially Maude! You could definitely tell that Rue had her face done, as she looked dramatically different. Of course, this made Maude jealous, so she decided to have her face done, too!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #14
JR1
Forum Regular

I remember seeing some magazine (not sure if it was a supermarket tabloid or not), that had a picture of Rue without makeup on, and her skin was VERY bad. The makeup people did a great job on GG- you could kinda see that she had some kind of marks under the makeup, but she looked great on the show.

Bea, I think she had something done, like someone said, after season three. She looked a little different in season 4 (aside from the hairdo).
Old 11-23-2011, 01:15 AM   #15
ShamelessFanGirl
Forum Regular
Great Power and Resposbility

I never knew that any of the Golden Girls had a facelift. Perhaps I just never paid close enough attention but they always looked the same to me.