Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board


The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Lifetime Brings in the Stars for Winter Movies; Celebs Line Up for CBS All Access' Twilight Zone
HBO Comedy Crashing Returns for Season 3; Nick Sitcom Starts Jan. 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 10, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Pays $100 Million for Another Year of Friends; Reboots of Night Gallery and New York Undercover
Fri-Yay: The Disappearing Art of the Holiday Episode; The Simpsons Turns 30 Years Old with Specials on Fox and FXX
Loudermilk Returns for Season 3 on Audience Network; Syfy's 23rd Annual Twilight Zone New Year's Eve Marathon
The Good Place Gets 4th Season; Nick's Henry Danger Turns 100


New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


View Poll Results: Which of the Lost Girls' episodes below was her best work?
Molly's Holiday (a Molly episode) 0 0%
Rough Housing (a Julie Anne episode) 2 50.00%
IQ (a Felice episode) 0 0%
The Girls' School (a Felice episode) 2 50.00%
Dope (a Julie Pie episode) 1 25.00%
The Little Chill (a Julie Pie episode) 2 50.00%
All of the above 0 0%
None of the above 0 0%
I can't decide! 0 0%
Other 1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2018, 02:26 AM   #1
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 2,926
Default Which Lost Girl was best in her best episode?

The results are in for the Lost Girls' "best episodes" polls, and here they are:

"Molly's Holiday" was voted Molly's best episode. No surprise there, I think, as that was her biggest FOL episode, by far.

"Rough Housing" was voted as Julie Anne's best episode.

There was a tie for Felice's best episode. Both "The Girls' School" (DS) and "IQ" were voted as Felice's best episode.

There was also a tie for Julie Pie's best episode. Both "The Little Chill" and "Dope" received the same number of votes.

So, now the showdown! The poll of polls! Ooh, the suspense!

Only the top six made it to this round. Of the six "best of" episodes, which one was the best? "Molly's Holiday", "Rough Housing", "The Girls' School" (DS), "IQ", "The Little Chill", or "Dope"? Explain your choices in the comments below.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 3,038
Default

Julie Anne just shone like a blond little diamond in RH.

And Felice did such a range of emotions so well in TGS.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #3
Lorimar Television
Member
Senior Member
 
Lorimar Television's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 06, 2007
Posts: 1,424
Default

Im surprised Dieting and Running weren't higher
__________________
Some of my favorite theme songs:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-e...89CsiJpV_irnNw
Lorimar Television is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:04 PM   #4
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 3,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorimar Television View Post
Im surprised Dieting and Running weren't higher
I was surprised "Running" wasn't, either. But I think the fact that more people prefer RH as their favorite "Cindy episode", and "Dope" as their favorite "Sue Ann" episode, it just got canceled out.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:23 AM   #5
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 2,926
Default

It took a while, but I finally decided on my vote: "Rough Housing" and "The Little Chill". Both of The Julies were so good in their respective episodes. When Sue Ann says she'll be a VP the next time she comes to Peekskill, I believe her. And Cindy is just sooo adorable in her Harvest Festival gown, burying the hatchet with Blair.

These episodes are like bookends of the series: the very first episode, and an episode that aired just a few weeks after Edna Garrett left the show, heralding an end to the "real" series. Between these episodes, we see the characters grow from teens or even pre-teens into grown women.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:26 AM   #6
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 2,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorimar Television View Post
Im surprised Dieting and Running weren't higher
I was, too, but that didn't happen.

Weirdly enough, a few people didn't vote for episodes they said in the comments that they liked. Or they even voted for different episodes than what they had said they liked. Oh well! C'est la vie!
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:31 AM   #7
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 3,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
It took a while, but I finally decided on my vote: "Rough Housing" and "The Little Chill".

These episodes are like bookends of the series: the very first episode, and an episode that aired just a few weeks after Edna Garrett left the show, heralding an end to the "real" series. Between these episodes, we see the characters grow from teens or even pre-teens into grown women.

That's why I personally don't count "The Little Chill" in these polls; the girls are young ladies in that, not the teenage girls they were in season 1. It's too different to me.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:48 AM   #8
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 2,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
That's why I personally don't count "The Little Chill" in these polls; the girls are young ladies in that, not the teenage girls they were in season 1. It's too different to me.
I definitely see what you mean, '80s, but I disagree: the span of time between "The Girls' School" and "Green-Eyed Monster" (2 years, 8 months, and 9 days) wasn't that much shorter than the span of time between "Green-Eyed Monster" and "The Little Chill" (4 years, 9 months, and 25 days). If it's allowed to compare a mid-Season 3 episode with a backdoor pilot in "Season 0", it should be okay to compare an early Season 8 episode with a mid-Season 3 episode. It's not as if we are comparing the 2001 movie, from 12 years later.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:41 AM   #9
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 3,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I definitely see what you mean, '80s, but I disagree: the span of time between "The Girls' School" and "Green-Eyed Monster" (2 years, 8 months, and 9 days) wasn't that much shorter than the span of time between "Green-Eyed Monster" and "The Little Chill" (4 years, 9 months, and 25 days).
"wasn't that much shorter"? It's a period twice as long. And the girls were no longer girls in TLC, they were young adult women, whereas they're still "girls" in the cafeteria years. And I actually forgot you included the cafeteria era episodes, lol. I was remembering them as just season 1 and TLC.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
If it's allowed to compare a mid-Season 3 episode with a backdoor pilot in "Season 0", it should be okay to compare an early Season 8 episode with a mid-Season 3 episode. It's not as if we are comparing the 2001 movie, from 12 years later.
Well as I said, I forgot you included those. Still, the time between TGS and GEM was much shorter than the time between GEM and TLC, by half. And The Facts of Life wasn't the same classic Facts of Life in season 8 as it was in seasons 1-4 (as you also lament), so it's just not the same.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:00 AM   #10
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 2,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
"wasn't that much shorter"? It's a period twice as long. And the girls were no longer girls in TLC, they were young adult women, whereas they're still "girls" in the cafeteria years. And I actually forgot you included the cafeteria era episodes, lol. I was remembering them as just season 1 and TLC.
Oh, no: one of Nancy's most memorable episodes was "Gossip"; how could I not include that? And it's not really twice as long, but a difference of a couple of years shouldn't make that much difference anyway.

Quote:
And The Facts of Life wasn't the same classic Facts of Life in season 8 as it was in seasons 1-4 (as you also lament), so it's just not the same.
The first few episodes of Season 8 were different, though: we still had Mrs. G, AND we got 3/4ths of the Lost Girls back (and Molly even in flashbacks). If we had more episodes like 8-01, 8-02, and 8-06 in the rest of the season, it would have been a completely different season: more Eastlandy, more full of the classic characters. You yourself imagined what it would have been like to have the Lost Girls at Mrs. Garrett's wedding, and if TLC had been four episodes earlier, they would have.

But to each his own...
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #11
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 3,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Oh, no: one of Nancy's most memorable episodes was "Gossip"; how could I not include that? And it's not really twice as long, but a difference of a couple of years shouldn't make that much difference anyway.
It does when we're talking about adolescents. They change grow and change so fast.

Of course "Gossip" has to be included (and it was one of my votes), I had just momentarily forgotten.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
You yourself imagined what it would have been like to have the Lost Girls at Mrs. Garrett's wedding, and if TLC had been four episodes earlier, they would have. But to each his own...
Right, it would have been nice if the show had stayed more Eastlandy; then you yourself might be interested in watching the later seasons more, lol.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:49 AM   #12
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 2,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
Right, it would have been nice if the show had stayed more Eastlandy; then you yourself might be interested in watching the later seasons more, lol.
Well, we both agree that the show changed when the girls left Eastland.

But here is an episode where the Eastland girls are reunited once more, with seven of them all in one room, and even talking about Mrs. Garrett and Molly... perhaps the biggest cast reunion in the history of TV... and it's not enough? Too different because the girls are all now officially graduated, even though Tootie had just graduated eight episodes earlier?
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #13
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 3,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Well, we both agree that the show changed when the girls left Eastland.

But here is an episode where the Eastland girls are reunited once more, with seven of them all in one room, and even talking about Mrs. Garrett and Molly... perhaps the biggest cast reunion in the history of TV... and it's not enough? Too different because the girls are all now officially graduated, even though Tootie had just graduated eight episodes earlier?
It's a good attempt, but it just can't be perfection without Molly and Mrs. Garrett there. And they really did a disservice to my Cindy by making her "the Nancy" of the episode.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #14
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 2,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
It's a good attempt, but it just can't be perfection without Molly and Mrs. Garrett there. And they really did a disservice to my Cindy by making her "the Nancy" of the episode.
They really did need a two-parter there; then they really could have explored the characters more. We could have learned a bit more about the Lost Girls' lives; why they boycotted their own graduations; why they kept forgetting to go to Edna's Edibles, even though it was only a 15-minute drive; why they never called; why Cindy changed her last name; etc.

But there was no way the producers were going to get Molly to come back, what with her film career so huge. And Charlotte was determined to leave, no matter how much they had offered her. Ultimately, that was Charlotte and Molly's choice.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #15
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 3,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
They really did need a two-parter there; then they really could have explored the characters more. We could have learned a bit more about the Lost Girls' lives; why they boycotted their own graduations; why they kept forgetting to go to Edna's Edibles, even though it was only a 15-minute drive; why they never called; why Cindy changed her last name; etc.
Yes! A 2-parter would have been wonderful! They could have even had a phone call with Molly where we only see the other girls' end of the conversation!

As for Cindy's surname, perhaps they wanted to avoid confusion with Emmanuel Lewis, lol.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
But there was no way the producers were going to get Molly to come back, what with her film career so huge. And Charlotte was determined to leave, no matter how much they had offered her. Ultimately, that was Charlotte and Molly's choice.
I know, it's just that in a perfect world they would be there.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
facts of life, polls, the lost girls

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.