Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Classic Dramas/Dramedies > Charlie's Angels (1976-1981)

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Fall Pilot Review: The Kids Are Alright - Premieres Tuesday (Oct. 16); FX Gets New Comedy for 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Patricia Heaton Eyes a Return to TV With CBS Sitcom; VEI Announced Bad News Bears TV Series DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Superstore Season 4 At the Top of Its Game; Freeform's New Kickoff to Christmas Event
Showtime Isn't Kidding About Season 2 of Kidding; TBS Gets Another Unscripted Comedy
The CW Bulks Up for Next Summer; FX Brings Back Mr Inbetween for Season 2
CBS Announces Cast for The World's Best; Bravo Gets Anthology Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
MichaelKeith
Forum Regular

Default Kate Jackson's dislike of Cheryl Ladd

This topic may have been discussed in an earlier thread, but I was not able to locate it if so.

I've heard several times that Ms. Jackson did not care for Ms. Ladd at all. I wonder why. Actually, I like all four of the original angels (Farrah, Kate, Jaclyn and Cheryl).

I have also heard that Kate and Farrah were very close.
MichaelKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Your post has prompted me to do some reading on the subject. Apparently there was LOTS of unhappiness on the set through the years, which is a downer for someone like me who followed the show for all five years.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
Your post has prompted me to do some reading on the subject. Apparently there was LOTS of unhappiness on the set through the years, which is a downer for someone like me who followed the show for all five years.
It's very sad because I think all the cast was great together. Farrah was my favorite Angel but Cheryl did a great job replacing her. I think Kate was the glue that held the show together and after she left ,the show sort of slid. I don't understand what the animosity was all about.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
bliss
THAT GIRL
Forum Regular

The original angels were Kate, Farrah, and Jaclyn....

Cheryl will always be Farrah's replacement no matter how many years she was on the show.
bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
cleverfun3000

I was wondering why there would be such animosity on a set that produced such a well-liked and successful show, so I asked my girlfriend what she thought the cause could be. She said it was most likely because when there are that many attractive women sharing the spotlight, they can be catty, spiteful and jealous of one another and basically haters. I believe it.
cleverfun3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
McGillicuddy

Kate Jackson's dislike of Cheryl Ladd reminds me of Bea Arthur's dislike of Betty White.

With Kate and Cheryl, Jaclyn, who seems to be close to both of them, is caught in the middle.

With Bea and Betty, Rue McClanahan was close to both Betty and Bea and was caught in the middle.

Both Cheryl Ladd and Betty White seem to be known for their sweetness.

I think Kate and Bea were both simply jealous of Cheryl and Betty.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy
Kate Jackson's dislike of Cheryl Ladd reminds me of Bea Arthur's dislike of Betty White.

With Kate and Cheryl, Jaclyn, who seems to be close to both of them, is caught in the middle.

With Bea and Betty, Rue McClanahan was close to both Betty and Bea and was caught in the middle.

Both Cheryl Ladd and Betty White seem to be known for their sweetness.

I think Kate and Bea were both simply jealous of Cheryl and Betty.
The thing is, I just don't understand that. Farrah was the biggest star to come out of CA and Kate was great friends with her. Kate also went on to star in Scarecrow and Mrs. King so CA wasn't even her last hit show. It has to go deeper than just that.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
MichaelKeith
Forum Regular

I believe that Kate Jackson's autobiography, "The Smart One", is due out in February, 2015, and maybe she will discuss this point in the book. I hope so.

Farrah was known as the sexy one, Jaclyn as the beautiful one and Kate as the smart one.
MichaelKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
Rookielove
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss
The original angels were Kate, Farrah, and Jaclyn....

Cheryl will always be Farrah's replacement no matter how many years she was on the show.
Kate, Farrah, and Jaclyn were the original three.

But Kate, Farrah, Jaclyn and Cheryl were the original four.
Rookielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Rookielove
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
The thing is, I just don't understand that. Farrah was the biggest star to come out of CA and Kate was great friends with her. Kate also went on to star in Scarecrow and Mrs. King so CA wasn't even her last hit show. It has to go deeper than just that.
Maybe because Kris seemed more of a lead charcter than Jill. Kris had more depth as well.
Rookielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
bookandfilmnut
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKeith
This topic may have been discussed in an earlier thread, but I was not able to locate it if so.

I've heard several times that Ms. Jackson did not care for Ms. Ladd at all. I wonder why. Actually, I like all four of the original angels (Farrah, Kate, Jaclyn and Cheryl).

I have also heard that Kate and Farrah were very close.
I have read that Kate Jackson was generally a difficult person to get along with. According to the website AllRovi (formerly AllMovie), whereas Jaclyn Smith was frequently cited as the nicest co-worker in Hollywood by colleagues (including support and technical personnel like make-up artists, stage hands, camera operators, etc), on the other hand Kate Jackson was frequently said to be among the most unpleasant to work with, especially for those who were lower down in the pecking order.

Perhaps the problem between Kate and Cheryl is simply rooted in Kate Jacksons personality and temperament.
bookandfilmnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

I think I even remember Kate saying in an interview that she was not that close to Cheryl. I liked Cheryl on the show. I thought she was a good replacement for Farrah. While I liked Farrah's "Jill Monroe", It was Farrah's idea to leave the show. People should not have been hating.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
Mood Ring
Forum Regular

This never made sense to me. I've poured over tons of articles over the last 30 years trying to compile info about this.

Cheryl was so sweet and likable. Physically, Cheryl was the total package. She was more curvy than any of them and just as sexy as Farrah was. Maybe Kate was jealous of her for that reason. (?)

Hopefully Kate will address this when her book comes out.
Mood Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:23 AM   #14
hch
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to hch Send a message via Yahoo to hch

The reasons seem very unclear, so I took a look at the Charlie's Angels Casebook and this is what I found out:

There were proble with Kate and Cheryl right away and no one knows what started it, according to Jaclyn Smith.
Cheryl said herself that some days Kate was talking to her and some days she didn't talk to her. Cheryl had a home and a family and the other two were single at that time and she was really available to be social and as much as a girlfriend to them.
Producer Edward Lasko thinks that everyone was still upset over Farrah leaving and they were not going to make things easy for Cheryl.
David Doyle was not really privy to what was going on but he didn't think that anyone felt any animosity towards Cheryl. He stated that there were relationships formed during the first season that when a new kid comes in, everyone looks at them like an alien.

My understanding is that everyone was so used to one another that when a new kid joins the group, they are not eager to let her into their circle of friends. Just like school.

Willona from "Good Times"
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #15
Mood Ring
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch
The reasons seem very unclear, so I took a look at the Charlie's Angels Casebook and this is what I found out:

There were proble with Kate and Cheryl right away and no one knows what started it, according to Jaclyn Smith.
Cheryl said herself that some days Kate was talking to her and some days she didn't talk to her. Cheryl had a home and a family and the other two were single at that time and she was really available to be social and as much as a girlfriend to them.
Producer Edward Lasko thinks that everyone was still upset over Farrah leaving and they were not going to make things easy for Cheryl.
David Doyle was not really privy to what was going on but he didn't think that anyone felt any animosity towards Cheryl. He stated that there were relationships formed during the first season that when a new kid comes in, everyone looks at them like an alien.

My understanding is that everyone was so used to one another that when a new kid joins the group, they are not eager to let her into their circle of friends. Just like school.
Judging by all the things I've ever read, Jaclyn and David loved Cheryl from the beginning. The "powers that be", Kate and most of the crew had doubts that Cheryl would be able to replace Farrah. Cheryl knew she had some big shoes to fill. Her first season must've been very stressful for her. After Cheryl showed up with the Farrah Fawcett-Minor t-shirt, she broke all the tension and they all knew she was the right woman for the job. Cheryl (almost singlehandedly) saved the show... she kept all those people employed. She should be praised.

I prefer Kate's physical appearance, but IMO Cheryl was/is the total package... she has beauty, a positive attitude and a sweet/vivacious personality.
Mood Ring is offline   Reply With Quote