Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Cartoons/Animated Series > Allen Gregory
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Centic Fall 2014 Schedule; Hallmark Hall of Fame Movies to Move to Hallmark Channel
Summer 2014 Week 16 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilots Coming Together for 2015-2016 TV Season (and a Full House Update); New VEI Releases
SitcomsOnline Book Club - Soap: The Unauthorized Inside Story of the Sitcom That Broke All the Rules; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 15, 2014)
CMT Fall 2014 Schedule with Raising Hope; Nurse Jackie to End in 2015 After 7 Seasons
Nick at Nite Orders 3rd Season of Instant Mom; The Simpsons Take the Bowl on FXX Thursday with Marathon
TBS Fall 2014 Schedule with AFV; CBS Names Ferguson Replacement for Late Late Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)

New Girl - The Complete Season Three The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season

09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Question If 'Allen Gregory' Does Really Well In The Ratings, Could It Be The Heir Apparent....

...to The Simpsons?

I have that feeling that FOX president Kevin Reilly is looking for the next big thing in animation to be an eventual replacement for the aging Simpsons. Will it or COULD IT be Allen Gregory???

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 09-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Anything's possible, but I doubt it.

This show doesn't seem, from what admittedly little I've seen, to have the broad appeal of the Simpsons. The Simpsons is a show for adults but kids can generally follow it and enjoy, too. And though it does tend toward the cynical, there's a heart in there somewhere (thanks to James Brooks, mostly) and an affection for the characters and their world.

The new cartoons don't seem to have that. They have clever dialogue and interesting situations, but in most cases I either don't care about the characters or outright dislike them. Nobody seems to be able to write likeable characters anymore.

I think it's going to be a LONG time before there is an "heir apparent" to the Simpsons...in fact the show may be off the air before it finds an heir!
Old 10-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
Anything's possible, but I doubt it.

This show doesn't seem, from what admittedly little I've seen, to have the broad appeal of the Simpsons. The Simpsons is a show for adults but kids can generally follow it and enjoy, too. And though it does tend toward the cynical, there's a heart in there somewhere (thanks to James Brooks, mostly) and an affection for the characters and their world.

The new cartoons don't seem to have that. They have clever dialogue and interesting situations, but in most cases I either don't care about the characters or outright dislike them. Nobody seems to be able to write likeable characters anymore.

I think it's going to be a LONG time before there is an "heir apparent" to the Simpsons...in fact the show may be off the air before it finds an heir!

All valid points indeed, but it certainly behooves them to look and try to find a show out there worthy enough to take (Eventually) The Simpsons time slot...

Whether or not it is Allen Gregory or not remains to be seen.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:41 AM   #4
ryan423

I imagine within 5-6 years, we won't have Animation Domination around. Seth MacFarlane has stated that he has no intentions of allowing FAMILY GUY to overstay its welcome, and without it, shows like AMERICAN DAD and CLEVELAND will crash and burn.

If it does stick around though, maybe The Simpsons will eventually be replaced by the upcoming FLINTSTONES reboot? That's my prediction...
Old 10-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan423
I imagine within 5-6 years, we won't have Animation Domination around. Seth MacFarlane has stated that he has no intentions of allowing FAMILY GUY to overstay its welcome, and without it, shows like AMERICAN DAD and CLEVELAND will crash and burn.

If it does stick around though, maybe The Simpsons will eventually be replaced by the upcoming FLINTSTONES reboot? That's my prediction...

That's interesting and perhaps you are correct. Let's hope though that is not the case and FOX can continue its dominance on the primetime animation front.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Blackout
yo mama's pimp

if fox cancels FG then american dad and cleveland better stay in the picture

i mean TV would be GARBAGE without those 3 shows. i don't know if i would even watch anything non sports related.....
Old 02-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
comedyfreak
Forum Veteran
Smile Dummy

Why would they do that when:

1. Allen Gregory failed in the raitings
2. Fox Cancelled the show already.

I'm of the same opinion that the Flintstones reboot will take over the Simpsons spot. I'm surprised Fox hasn't approached the Beavis and Butthead creator to come up with another animated show for them.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by comedyfreak

I'm of the same opinion that the Flintstones reboot will take over the Simpsons spot. I'm surprised Fox hasn't approached the Beavis and Butthead creator to come up with another animated show for them.

Mike Judge?

As for "Allen Gregory"...if it's replayed on Adult Swim, it might be better there. I feel it was more of an Adult Swim Show and less of a FOX Show.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 06-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
king of comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland
Mike Judge?

As for "Allen Gregory"...if it's replayed on Adult Swim, it might be better there. I feel it was more of an Adult Swim Show and less of a FOX Show.
I only watched 3 episodes of it and that was it. The title character was so unlikeable. At least Fox tried something differant.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
king of comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland
Mike Judge?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #11
EuellG
Occasional Poster

Anything's possible, but I doubt it!!!!
Old 02-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
king of comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by comedyfreak

The Flintstones reboot is dead. Bordertown is going to take over American Dads' spot when American Dad moves to TBS.