Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Newhart links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Newhart Photo Gallery

Newhart - The Complete First Season

Buy Newhart - The Complete First Season on DVD
Newhart - The Complete Second Season

Buy Newhart - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Newhart - The Complete Third Season

Buy Newhart - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Newhart

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of March 25, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Conners Renewed for a Second Season; (Almost) Everything Brady Related Coming to a DVD Box Set
Fri-Yay: Original Comedies at Netflix; ABC Announces April Finales, Including TGIF
Antenna TV's Gimme a Break! Spring Break Marathon; Netflix Gets Mindy Kaling Comedy Series
COZI TV Celebrates April Fools with Pranks; HBO Comedy Gets 4th Season
Sabrina Returns April 5 on Netflix; Remembering Character Actor Richard Erdman of Community
Antenna TV Coming to Ft. Myers, Makes Minor Spring Change; NBC Brings the Funny This Summer

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March)

Step by Step - The Complete Fourth Season What I Like About You - The Complete Fourth Season Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Second Season Alice - The Complete Ninth Season The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Fifth Season

01/08 - Family Guy - 20 Greatest Hits
01/22 - Fuller House - The Complete Third Season
01/22 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Fourth Season (WBShop.com)
01/29 - Ballers - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
01/29 - Crashing - The Complete Second Season
01/29 - The Game - The Complete Series
01/29 - Kidding - Season One
02/05 - Family Guy - Part 1 - Volumes 1-5
02/05 - Family Guy - Part 2 - Volumes 6-10
02/05 - Family Guy - Part 3 - Seasons 10-14
02/05 - First Lady of Television - Betty White Collection (40 rare and acclaimed episodes from her early days in television)
02/05 - Mama's Family - Seasons 1-6 - The Complete Series
02/12 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
02/12 - Step by Step - The Complete Fourth Season
02/26 - What I Like About You - The Complete Fourth Season
03/05 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Second Season (WBShop.com)
03/12 - Alice - The Complete Ninth Season (WBShop.com)
03/26 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Cool Favorite Season 1 episodes?

Mine -

No Tigers at the Circus - My favorite moment is when a depressed Dick is watching TV (his "favorite program") and the theme to The Bob Newhart Show plays.

What Is This Thing Called Lust? - The first appearance of Julia Duffy/Stephanie Vanderkellen before joining the cast as a regular the following season.

Breakfast Theatre - I always enjoy episodes about bad stand up comics.

Ricky Nelson, Up Your Nose - Kirk ends up having surgery to remove a Ricky Nelson charm from his nose (!) and Larry, Darryl and Darryl end up running the Minuteman Cafe for him. Kirk forgets to mention a "minor" detail, but Dick gets him back at the end of the episode.

The Boy Who Cried Goat - When Kirk gets held up, his lifetime of lies comes back to bite him when people have to vouch for his character when the law investigates the robbery. Kirk taking the polygraph test is a classic moment.

Grandma, What a Big Mouth You Have - The late, great Ruth Gordon is a gem here as Kirk's grandmother.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
Kristen

Send a message via ICQ to Kristen Send a message via AIM to Kristen Send a message via MSN to Kristen Send a message via Yahoo to Kristen

Monika, reading your list is almost making me want to buy S1, hehe. Or at least Netflix it again. Will def. let you know if I do either!

- Kristen

Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen
Monika, reading your list is almost making me want to buy S1, hehe. Or at least Netflix it again. Will def. let you know if I do either!

- Kristen
Awesome! I've loved Newhart since I was a kid (I watched it as a kid during its original run, as well as the syndicated reruns). S1 may not have much Steph and LD&D but it is still a lot of fun!!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Cool

Ruth Gordon was hilarious as Kirk's grandmother! Stealing the car, getting arrested, getting thrown in jail, and all the while acting as if she doesn't think she's done anything wrong!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Another thing I forgot to mention about Kirk getting robbed - when he announces the fact in a seedy bar in an attempt to find the culprit, the entire crowd cheers and applauds. I just lost it.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Kristen

Send a message via ICQ to Kristen Send a message via AIM to Kristen Send a message via MSN to Kristen Send a message via Yahoo to Kristen

LOL! Sounds great. I think I'll always prefer Stephanie/Michael to Kirk, though. Those two were just so perfect for each other, hehe.
Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen
LOL! Sounds great. I think I'll always prefer Stephanie/Michael to Kirk, though. Those two were just so perfect for each other, hehe.
They put Yuppie couples on the map before thirtysomething!! I did enjoy Kirk, however. He was hilarious - especially in Season 2 when he kept fainting during his own wedding, right after the "dearly beloved".
Old 07-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
Ruth Gordon was hilarious as Kirk's grandmother! Stealing the car, getting arrested, getting thrown in jail, and all the while acting as if she doesn't think she's done anything wrong!
She was letter perfect in the role.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
TV DVD Fan

All of those were excellent and I also enjoyed the Christmas episode with a couple named Mary and Joseph checking in but there's no room at the inn! That was hilarious and "Hail to the Councilman" nearly had me rolling on the floor laughing at some parts, it was very Green Acres-esque. All the early Larry, Darryl and Daryll moments were classic too.

Sarah Connor: Maybe if you spend your life hiding who you are, you might finally end up fooling yourself.

- From the episode "Gnothi Seauton."
TV DVD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #10
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV DVD Fan
All of those were excellent and I also enjoyed the Christmas episode with a couple named Mary and Joseph checking in but there's no room at the inn! That was hilarious and "Hail to the Councilman" nearly had me rolling on the floor laughing at some parts, it was very Green Acres-esque. All the early Larry, Darryl and Daryll moments were classic too.
Hail To the Councilman was indeed a fun episode. Loved when Dick came in wearing a sweater and everyone else (including Joanna) was wearing ties.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:08 AM   #11
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
Ruth Gordon just rocked - she stole the show in everything she was in.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Cool

I also like the ep. where George saw a UFO and the whole town thought he was a nut. I love how Dick came to his defence and stood by him.
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
hawkeye123

I am almost through with disc 1 of season 1. I think my fav episodes so far was the one where they all go to the basketball game Dick loses his bench pass and, ends up not even getting to see the game. It's bad to because he's actually the only one that is really a fan. The one with Kirks Grandma is a good one too, and the one where Joanna takes a job. She begs the guy for a job. He knows the whole time she's going to end up quitting. But because of her begging he hires her anyway. The next day she quits lol. I don't know how many times. I have predicted things and they have happened. So, I can really feel his pain
George Costanza: George Costanza as you know him, Ceases to Exist! You see, right now, I have Relationship George, but there is also Independent George. That's the George you know, the George you grew up with - Movie George, Coffee shop George, Liar George, Bawdy George.
Jerry Seinfeld: I, I love that George.
George Costanza: Me Too! And he's Dying Jerry! If Relationship George walks through this door, he will Kill Independent George! A George, divided against itself, Cannot Stand!
hawkeye123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
hawkeye123

I just noticed I some how watched disc 3 first lol oh well.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
hawkeye123

The one I just watched was funny. The one guy who I still can't remember his name. The liar that is always hitting on Leslie, anyway he lied about his cafe being condemned. So, of course everybody pitched into help him. When he admitted it Dick wanted to kill him. Everybody had to hold him back.